Judas666

Spotting your enemy.

I'm new to dayz, never really played the mod, I went directly to the standalone, anyway, how do you spot your enemy? Well most of them shoot me but misses, how do you know where they are? Any tips on spotting your enemy? 

Don't go directly on a city, go on hills or something high that you can have a view of the entire city, and watch during a couple minutes. You can spot people easy.

I'm new to dayz, never really played the mod, I went directly to the standalone, anyway, how do you spot your enemy? Well most of them shoot me but misses, how do you know where they are? Any tips on spotting your enemy? 

If you're wearing headphones, the sound of the gun fire should be pretty obvious as to which direction it came from.  Then it's a matter of zooming in, watching for either the muzzle flash, the smoke from the barrel or movement that's not natural.  If you're not wearing headphones, it can be hard to tell which direction noises are coming from.

Don't go directly on a city, go on hills or something high that you can have a view of the entire city, and watch during a couple minutes. You can spot people easy.

I mean, how do you spot the people who are already shooting at you, cause I get shot at hills and cities.

Then you are easy to spot. To spot people you have to look everywhere and be quick. Like Terpy said; you have to spot non-natural movement. By the way, the more you play, the more you'll get better at this. You are easy to spot, just try to be proned and walk slowly, hide behind bushes and walls, try to spot the gun shots. If you know that the shots come from hills, then just don't be visible for snipers. If you can spot them, you can't go behind them and easily take their lives >:(

As a cop we call it developing your 'street eyes'. My first few months everything looked new. After a while working the same area, just a car parking in a slightly different location than normal would draw a second look. Watching for smoke and listening for shot direction is important also. If your going to an area that has a high probability for contact, think 'If I were a sniper, where would I like to setup.' Pick a few likely spots and give them a good look before entering an area. It's mainly a matter of experience. Experience is what you get after you need it.

I mean, how do you spot the people who are already shooting at you, cause I get shot at hills and cities.

Get to cover, listen to where the shots are coming from. If you see shots hitting a wall near you, you can figure out what direction they're in based on where they aren't shooting you from. Never go prone, you'll just get shot.

I think shot audio is kind of bugged right now, I can never tell what direction the shots are in.

I usually use the sound of their gun firing to figure out which direction to star scanning.

For example: If i am running North, and I hear a bullet smack to my right (like on the ground past me), then I know to look to me left (west) for the person shooting at me. Because bullets tend to go in straight lines away from the gun firing them.

Use your ears -- a great investment for a gamer is a good headset/soundcard so you can hear things around you better.

• Like 1

The way things are mate, I'd regard everyone you see as an enemy until they prove differently.

• Like 1

Personally I found running around with my own squad helpful in terms of working out just how visible others can be.

Even on voicecomms we managed to lose the camo guys within mere metres when they stood still. As already said though, observe some of the larger towns whilst proned/poking out of a suitably coloured bush on the outskirts and you should be able to see a few guys running about.

If your enemy is camo'd up, with the right camo for the terrain behind them AND immobile - you most likely won't have a chance to see them, even at moderately close range.

Edited by phlOgistOn

It's hard, hit the deck and start rolling around (q/e) like you're on fire until you can figure out vaguely where they are shooting from then have a look. Third person helps here as you can see while lying down (bind first/third person toggle to a convenient key). The easiest time to see them is when they are shooting.

It is hard to spot people, even when my friend is just standing in front of me I have difficulty seeing him, let alone lying down in cover.

Edited by Nanoha

Everything that can move is a tango, do not trust anyone.

It's hard, hit the deck and start rolling around (q/e) like you're on fire until you can figure out vaguely where they are shooting from then have a look. Third person helps here as you can see while lying down (bind first/third person toggle to a convenient key). The easiest time to see them is when they are shooting.

It is hard to spot people, even when my friend is just standing in front of me I have difficulty seeing him, let alone lying down in cover.

Don't hit the deck unless you're near cover and doing so will most likely break their LOS. It's usually better to zig zag sprint towards the nearest 'safety' and then try to locate them. If the sniper has a height advantage then lying down in the middle of a field just gives them a nice slow target to rain shots down on.