Sign in to follow this  
ImageCtrl

Let´s talk about FOV...

I love the stepless menu FOV system.
My problem:
I find myself going in the menu to changing my FOV to observe a city etc.
Main problem I imagine, it makes binoculars worthless.

Idea:
Pressing the "+" key gives you the lowest FOV setting.
Pressing the "-" key gives you the highest FOV setting.
Maybe the lowest FOV setting is to low?

What do you think about this? Solutions?

Problem solved for who? 

I play on 3 monitors and if I can't move it up to about 50% the screen is way to big and stretched.  People that use head tracking IR (not me) would also be appauled at this adjustability being removed.

This isn't an issue.  Once binoculars are in the game who would use this?  Its just something people are currently doing because the Mosin scope is the only other way to zoom right now.  Eventually you'll press B or whatever binoculars are bound to and then B to put them away.  You won't have to hit ESC, move a slider, hit ESC again.  Yeah, makes binoculars worthless.

As in the majority of topics on these forums, HEY! lets give it some time to work itself out!... 

FOV slider should be removed, along with the headbob slider gotta keep the playing field level.

FOV slider should be removed, along with the headbob slider gotta keep the playing field level.

Please tell me this is a really poor attempt at sarcasm. The solution is to fix FOV so that changing it doesn't change your zoom level.

• Like 9

Agreed. Fuck the people who bought 3 monitors - some people think just because they have more money, they deserve an advantage. :lol:

Please tell me this is a really poor attempt at sarcasm. The solution is to fix FOV so that changing it doesn't change your zoom level.

You can't do that. You can't lower FOV without zooming the image in. Otherwise you'd just have black borders on the side of the image.

Edited by t1337Dude
  • Like 1

Higher FOV's are required for larger screens. If someone's exploiting the Low FOV to zoom in then obviously the issue pertains to how low the slider is willing to let you go. Not how high it can go.

• Like 1

I have noticed that Setting the fov value to anything above 1 causes ingame objects to strech and shape very unnaturally depending on your camera movements. You can test this when Standing next to a house or a Corner of a building. You feel like your character stands very closely to the wall but when you turn the camera a bit the distance to the object is actually a lot more than you would have expected. Don't know how to explain this properly. I figured this out when I turned the fov value to 1.6...Everything looked a bit out of shape.

I have noticed that Setting the fov value to anything above 1 causes ingame objects to strech and shape very unnaturally depending on your camera movements. You can test this when Standing next to a house or a Corner of a building. You feel like your character stands very closely to the wall but when you turn the camera a bit the distance to the object is actually a lot more than you would have expected. Don't know how to explain this properly. I figured this out when I turned the fov value to 1.6...Everything looked a bit out of shape.

It's because you are using a fov setting that is wider then your monitor. The image is getting distorted to fit the size of your screen.

Agreed. Fuck the people who bought 3 monitors - some people think just because they have more money, they deserve an advantage. :lol:

You can't do that. You can't lower FOV without zooming the image in. Otherwise you'd just have black borders on the side of the image.

Exactly.  With 3 monitors you have to raise the FOV, not lower it.  Raising the FOV makes things smaller but it also makes things look correct on 3 monitors.

And I'm not someone who "think just because they have more money, they deserve an advantage".  I saved my pennies for quite some time for this setup and I did it for immersion.  I hope when you're 42 yrs old. you have enough money to buy a nice setup, too. 

desktopwithmap.png

Edited by Cinnabuns
  • Like 4

Headbob gives many people motion sickness... Myself included.

I literally can't play any game that has headbob with no option or .ini file to remove it.

Obviously speaking about playing from a first person perspective... 3rd person Head Bob isn't really an issue.

But games with low FoV and Headbob(console ports are the worst)... Headaches and nausea out the wazoo for me and actually quite a few other people.

I still can't play Bioshock... Tried the first way back, made it 20 minutes before I had to lay down sick out of mind. I literally felt like I had a hangover for a good 8 hours.

Edited by PabloFajita
  • Like 2

Its not an advantage so much as increased immerison being the purpose.

Limit the FOV spectrum a little and put a limit on the total zoom level.

Edited by Thane
  • Like 3

Its not an advantage so much as increased immerison in most cases i would think, being the purpose.

Limit the FOV spectrum a little and put a limit on the total zoom level.

There is no zoom level, change in zoom is inherent with changing FOV.

I think it was Chivalry, I used to use a mouse macro to change the fov, it was a bit clunky (open console, type some stuff, press enter) but it worked. I wonder if you could do something script wise to do it, after all it is only client side.

The zoom function should changed.

When you press the "+" key you should have the minimum FOV from the settings. (btw the minimum FOV is way too low)

When you press the "-" key you should have the maximum FOV from the settings.

When you press nothing you should have the FOV you set in the settings.

This would also counter people selecting the lowest FOV and then using numpad + as a set of binoculars.

I've heard that the FOV-level has an effect on weapon precision.

Sights need a specific FOV-Level to be really accurate... is that true?

Well, sights (or all optics, actually) have a specific angle of view. If you mess with this, I imagine your sight picture could look a bit off.

Oh, and "zoom" and "field of view" can be used interchangeably. Zoom is just a word camera makers invented to describe changing the angle of view of a certain lens. 

Well, sights (or all optics, actually) have a specific angle of view. If you mess with this, I imagine your sight picture could look a bit off.

Oh, and "zoom" and "field of view" can be used interchangeably. Zoom is just a word camera makers invented to describe changing the angle of view of a certain lens. 

That's bad, because I'm playing with an higher than standard FoV (about 70%) as I'm plaing on Hardcore (1st person only).

I already noticed that M4-Scopes are too far away from my head due to the high FoV setting... which makes it very hard to use the scope-

FOV should NOT be removed. Instead it should only be accessable in the option menu or the main menu options. eg you have to logout to change your FOV. Changing your FOV ingame with just a few buttons should be impossible.

• Like 1

There is no zoom level, change in zoom is inherent with changing FOV.

The code could currently simply apply -x multiplier to the base FOV to determine zoom level. Im saying evaluate it so it is a fixed minimum value or set the same regardless of FOV. Other games have done this.

Also, there is no need for the FOV slider to go so slow, so they can chop plenty of in the code.

Edited by Thane

FOV, Head Bob, and Gamma should all be accessible during the main menu only.

Or have a launcher before the game starts for these settings, so you would have to restart DayZ completely to change them.

Exactly.  With 3 monitors you have to raise the FOV, not lower it.  Raising the FOV makes things smaller but it also makes things look correct on 3 monitors.

And I'm not someone who "think just because they have more money, they deserve and advantage".  I saved my pennies for quite some time for this setup and I did it for immersion.  I hope when you're 42 yrs old. you have enough money to buy a nice setup, too. 

desktopwithmap.png

Having more FoV than you would in real life + monitor bezel dividers = more immersion?

Sounds like you're sacrificing immersion for a gimmick to me. I don't give a shit if you like to throw your money away towards 3 monitors - I'd rather use that entire budget in one monitor. That way you can have better picture - thus better immersion.

Having more FoV than you would in real life + monitor bezel dividers = more immersion?

Sounds like you're sacrificing immersion for a gimmick to me. I don't give a shit if you like to throw your money away towards 3 monitors - I'd rather use that entire budget in one monitor. That way you can have better picture - thus better immersion.

What is the eyeball fov setting in real life?

Also - you don't know what you're talking about.

Clearly you don't have 3 monitors, so how do you know if it's just a 'gimmick'.

The peripheral advantage alone is worth it....  (Yes, people with widescreen monitors get an advantage, i said it. deal with it)

I play with a high FOV @ 1680x1050 because I like situational awareness. Exploiting FOV to see further shouldn't be a feature, if you wanna do that then you should have to use the menus.

Edit:

I think Battlefield 4 has now option turn off Fov change when aiming down sights. So basically its possible to change game code to make it default for all players.

You can't compare two entirely different engines on what is and isn't hardcoded and easily accessible.

Edited by Hells High