Zascha-Geriko

What, exactly, is the point of this game?

I have survived 5 days now. I have basically the best gear you can find at the moment. M4 with acog, bipod and other stuff, ballistic helmet, best military clothes, ammo box full of ammo, protector case, all kinds of pills and medical items, saline bag etc. Only need to find a bulletproof vest and I'm all set. My next "mission" is to go in a big city to loot food and get out alive. Then I will read a book under a pine tree for some time. Then...? Maybe I go make some freshly spawned guy happy by giving him a magnum (without ammo) and stalk him to see how he behaves and shoot him if I don't like what I see :P

Surviving in DayZ is like a bell curve; first you are willing to take risks since you don't have nothing to lose, then when you are just geared up you play it safe and finally when you want to create more content to yourself you start to take bigger and bigger risks until BANG!

I think you're contradicting yourself there.

Personally they should bring back hero and bandit skins. hero skins give players something to strive for. now as it stand there are no reasons to be helpful, as there are no rewards, just as there are no punishments for being a bandit.. so there's no reason not to KoS

Personally they should bring back hero and bandit skins. hero skins give players something to strive for. now as it stand there are no reasons to be helpful, as there are no rewards, just as there are no punishments for being a bandit.. so there's no reason not to KoS

Stop beating a dead horse.

Stop beating a dead horse.

never! nothing is over! nothing!!! you just don't turn it off!!

It's a sandbox, the game is what you make it.

This guy said it all!

You can take some friends on and adventure,you can help newbies get gear,you can kill KOS bandits,THE GAME IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT!

Guys I remember rocket said we would be able to build bases? Will it be a reality when the full game is released?

I like the game and where its going to go. The potential is there plain as Day. I have to agree with some of the stuff you said. I have gone through maybe 20 charcters thus far and I'm getting pretty tired of scavenging all this stuff just for a zombie to phase through a wall and kill me oh.. i mean knock me unconcious.... They Aggro too much and too easily in my opinion. The lack of a map for me being a new player is starting to bother me because these towns look the same with the same houses. I'm just running around. Everybody is always talking about Bolota but I have only been there twice becaue the game just loves to spawn me elswhere and The trip being so long I usually don't make it because I get yoked by a another player or I get hit by zombie with telkenisis slap abilities. I have now played for 48 hours according to steam. I think I will sit back and wait for the game to improve. In the mean time I wll be watching twitch on my XBox one to see what people are doing and stay updated. I suggest you do the same.

Being helpful is its own reward for people who want to be helpful. This isn't an arcade game, it's human nature simulator. 

Do you know how people get uniforms, badges, medals, and prison jump suits? They get them from governments. DayZ is an anarchy, it's just people being people, with no power to restrict their actions except other people. 

Edited by HCHellCaptain

Being helpful is its own reward for people who want to be helpful. This isn't an arcade game, it's human nature simulator. 

If people want a human nature simulator, then they need to turn their shit off, and gtf outside in the real world. you don't need a simulator for that. just as you don't need a simulator for eating food or taking a piss

I understand what your saying, Day z where it is right now can seem like it's very repetitive but IMO what keeps it fresh and new for me is my interactions with other players weather it be a pair of bandits that need to be killed or a fresh spawn that needs some starter gear. I guess to answer your question the point of this game is to see what you will do with the other human beings you come in contact with, sounds a bit simple I know but a great amount of fun can be had when you have a big imagination.  

Edited by Mcleane

once again for all morons...A SANDBOX MEANS you can directly effect the environment around you and make the world what you want it to be....you say oh dayz is alpha but..even the dayz mods never fully got finished btw...and the deathmatch style of play pretty much killed a large portion of the mod's players..2-6 months before sa came out it was about impossible to find a full server outside of BR and even BR was never really fully full.

those who defend an open world deathmatch have no vision at  all....yes its an alpha but nothing rocket has not talked about anything they are going to add to move this game away from just a giant pvp deathmatch with gear ups and an open world(i mean hey if thats what rocket wants why not just remove the damn zombies)

simply putt a sandbox is something you can play around in create and destroy..a sandbox has objectives DAYZ does not...i love dayz but i want zombie survival NOT MINDLESS PVP.

i want a real sandbox/zombie survival game if thats what the devs are going to keep calling it(want a sandbox try out garry's mods you can interact with pretty much every bit of the world...now thats a sandbox...or minecraft thats a sandbox or terraria thats a sandbox....DAYZ IS NOT A SANDBOX)

Dude, shut the fuck up. Nobody likes you. I don't appreciate your use of autism as some kind of joke, and your overwhelmingly negative posts are getting tired and old. If you're really so fucking sad about losing $30, give me your paypal account and I'll transfer $30 bucks to you. Fuck.

What does these 30 bucks that i DIDNT spend have to do with the topic? Everybody knows that the vanilla mod is almost dead, stop swearing at me just cause you're in a mad state of denying, proven by that other topic.

You already proven youself a kid by following me to another topic just to continue that stupid discussion.

If you have that much faith in the game and cant accept that maybe it will end up like the mod, dont be mad at me dude, have your faith and buy as much copies do you want to support the l33t devs, i just wont do it, and wont recommend it to anybody.

jesus christ

Edited by lipemr

Dude, shut the fuck up. Nobody likes you. I don't appreciate your use of autism as some kind of joke, and your overwhelmingly negative posts are getting tired and old. If you're really so fucking sad about losing $30, give me your paypal account and I'll transfer $30 bucks to you. Fuck.

You know better than this.

cease and desist.

Argue, fine, get personal and you ll get a warning.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

If you're surviving by staying away from people, you're doing it wrong and going to get bored fast.

If you're surviving by staying away from people, you're doing it wrong and going to get bored fast.

but if you get close to people, it will end up turning into a giant deathmatch anyway, there's just no point. As i said before, most people only play for the nostalgia that bring them back on that time just after the mod was released...

For some reason I spawned as a middle aged Hispanic woman. So I'm calling her Consuela (family guy reference) and hoarding all of the anti-bacterial spray I can find and imagining it's lemon pledge. Eventually I shall make a clan full of maids and disinfect all of Chernarus in a holy spray of lemony goodness.

1.) gear up

2.) log out

3.) play league of legends and wait for content

the AI in dayz is downright embarrising...

lol

On the sandbox issue: I do hope we will be able to blow up things soon. I do hope I can find a damn damm. I do hope I'll get u all under tons of water, muhaha!

sandbox means we can build and alter the world around us...hence the term SANDBOX(you know like what kids play in and make castles)

it really makes me face palm every time you or rocket goes this is a sandbox when it is clearly not a sandbox its just a pvp deathmatch with an open world

All of the toys aren't in the sandbox yet, obviously. If you've followed the devblogs and Dean's plans for the game, you would know that things like base construction, player storage and long-term encampments are on the roadmap, and these things will absolutely allow players to create their own space in Chernarus.

As for the "pvp deathmatch," you really need to come to terms with it. Every post you make on these forums is moaning about it like it's some kind of curse you have been asked to bear. If you're not happy with a heavily-PvP oriented game themed around an apocalyptic disease, then just don't play the game. Dean's not going to suddenly decide he's not into the idea and change the fundamental notion of PvP combat in DayZ. It will always be the underpinning to the other features that go into the game.

Yes, you will eventually have more to do, more to build, more to gather and more zombies to kill but it's still going to fundamentally be a game in which players fight other players. You're going to be shot for your beans, shot for your car, shot for your base and shot because you have a face someone doesn't like. If I can, I'll find you and shoot you once or twice just because I know how uncomfortable it makes you.

You raise a significant point. After gearing up there isnt anything to do except pvp in some form...usually griefing. Thats why i think we need some sort of base building epoch style. So then the point is to rebuild civilization for ure grp.

once again for all morons...A SANDBOX MEANS you can directly effect the environment around you and make the world what you want it to be....you say oh dayz is alpha but..even the dayz mods never fully got finished btw...and the deathmatch style of play pretty much killed a large portion of the mod's players..2-6 months before sa came out it was about impossible to find a full server outside of BR and even BR was never really fully full.

"Affect" the environment, genius.  As in "to change in some way".  "Effect" means "to bring about".  As in "Rocket effected DayZ so you can affect the environment any way you want."

And "sandbox" just means an open world where you have a lot of freedom to roam around and do stuff in a non-linear non-objective based way.  Grand Theft Auto is a sandbox game.  There are objectives and missions, but you can basically roam around doing what you want if you like.  Minecraft is even more of a sandbox as you can literally shape the world.

Anyhow, I'm not interested in a semantic debate on the term "sandbox".

To answer the OP:

Other than lacking zombies, vehicles, wildlife (but having a lot more buildings to enter) and all glitches and bugs aside, the SA is pretty similar to the Mod.  That is to say, there was never really anything to "do" in the Mod either except collect gear and survive.  There are no missions.  No end goals.  No objectives.  The only purpose is to stay alive as long as you can, in whatever manner you think best fits your personal style.

You can hole up in a townhouse in one of the cities like Dr Robert Neville

You can find some friends, create a clan and gear up like a bunch of commandos 

You can hide out in the deep woods living off the land (once wildlife and game are back..for now, you still need to go into town to loot for food)

You can just wander from place to place (eventually drive from place to place Mad Max style)

But most people seem to elect to run around the coast all crazy like until a sniper blows off their head

Anyhow, the point is, the game is basically just wandering around exploring stuff and occasionally running into other players who will probably, but not always kill you on sight.

• Like 1

Minecraft = sandbox

DayZ =/= sandbox

Give me a shovel to dig holes and an axe that can actually chop trees, and that will be a step in the right direction.

edit: the Lego analogy is a good one. DayZ is like a Lego box where all you'd have are characters, a few tools (mostly weapons) and... NO BUILDING BLOCKS !!!

The scope of what you can imagine with that stuff is really narrow.

Edited by Fabik