crazyandlazy

Should I invest my time in 1st Person Servers?

Just got back from my first foray on a pure FPV server and I need a new pair of pants.

I'd logged off on the outskirts of Balota airbase in quite an exposed location after helping some friends resupply last night.

If I'd been in TPV I coulda just checked each corners without exposing myself and been in the woods in about 5minutes...As it was, with a hungover head I slowly eeked my way from house to house, using the lean function to check each new corner, pausing after every sprint and listening for pursuers, entering houses, closing the doors behind me and peeking out of windows to check the different approaches - a ball of tension in my belly the whole way (fully kitted out character so if I lost him it's gonna be a few hours to rekit up).

30 minutes later I was in the woods. I hadn't seen anyone but I'd been bricking it the whole way and I was still bricking it for the next hour of wandering around restocking my food supplies. Every crest of a hill, every little piece of cover becomes a thousand times more important when you haven't been able to look over it from a concealed position beforehand.

THAT is why you should play FPV.

why people impose their way of playing as the best of all?

Why simply for the joy of all do not give us private servers where ADMs can put what they want and expect people interested in this style of play?

Just because you choose not to play Hardcore means being only 1 person.

Hardcore to me is the loot be much lower where must I have to armazer something to survive and of course find someone hostile.

two tools that an ADM should have for your server.

Button to set the percentage of loot

Button to set whether 1 person only or both options.

so everyone will be happy and not imposing a single way to play.

again sorry my english.

Just got back from my first foray on a pure FPV server and I need a new pair of pants.

I'd logged off on the outskirts of Balota airbase in quite an exposed location after helping some friends resupply last night.

If I'd been in TPV I coulda just checked each corners without exposing myself and been in the woods in about 5minutes...As it was, with a hungover head I slowly eeked my way from house to house, using the lean function to check each new corner, pausing after every sprint and listening for pursuers, entering houses, closing the doors behind me and peeking out of windows to check the different approaches - a ball of tension in my belly the whole way (fully kitted out character so if I lost him it's gonna be a few hours to rekit up).

30 minutes later I was in the woods. I hadn't seen anyone but I'd been bricking it the whole way and I was still bricking it for the next hour of wandering around restocking my food supplies. Every crest of a hill, every little piece of cover becomes a thousand times more important when you haven't been able to look over it from a concealed position beforehand.

THAT is why you should play FPV.

thats cool you enjoyed it..

but ill still play my way thanks...

tpv or fpv has the same tension for me..theres enuf places on the map at an given time for players to hide in that the camera alone isnt going to make me feel safe or not.

That's right, only way to truly play ''hardcore'' would be to reduce food as loot drastically and introduce cannibalism to the game.And Also add some nice wine and fava beans to loot spawns

Edited by Highlander007

Yeah I disagree with FPV being called elite/hardcore mode or whatever, it's probably the cause of most of the disagreement between the different playersets.

The likelihood of pvp is actually diminished and more easily avoidable due to people not being able to cheat the rules of physics... so in a way, it's easier... I'd just call it first person or realism mode.

Loot spawns need to be balanced, zombies need to be balanced etc etc then it'll be proper surviving, that's the same for both versions though.

Please can people stop trying to convince me that my way of playing is wrong?

The are TPP and FPP  servers now! The people who like to play DayZ as CoD or CS can stay in the FPP servers while the ones who like 3rd person can stay in the others. Why are we still biting chunks out of each other?

And to those people who are claiming that TPP is a exploit and is wrong and are attacking the people who don't mind it please just be happy in your FPP servers and leave the more relaxed players alone?

Please can people stop trying to convince me that my way of playing is wrong?

The are TPP and FPP  servers now! The people who like to play DayZ as CoD or CS can stay in the FPP servers while the ones who like 3rd person can stay in the others. Why are we still biting chunks out of each other?

And to those people who are claiming that TPP is a exploit and is wrong and are attacking the people who don't mind it please just be happy in your FPP servers and leave the more relaxed players alone?

Why is it wrong ? Watching 360* without exposing yourself behind / through walls over the whole map sounds kinda like an exploit and the dev already confirmed looking into it, for obvious reasons.

Why is it wrong ? Watching 360* without exposing yourself behind / through walls over the whole map sounds kinda like an exploit and the dev already confirmed looking into it, for obvious reasons.

I understand that it is unfair and probably going to be nerfed but my POINT is that you already have FPP servers and your still not happy -_-

I understand that it is unfair and probably going to be nerfed but my POINT is that you already have FPP servers and your still not happy -_-

I am happy and if the server stay populated everything is good. At the moment there is a good population. And actually I still like the 3rd person view and prefer it because I like to see the landscape + character. All I ask is to adjust the view or at least, if you want to have that view you have to show yourself a little bit. Right now you cover yourself 100% and get 100% view.

Edited by TimM1983

Yeah, don't you know? 1st person players are just better than everyone else. It's like a superior race of beings, except from the same planet and sorry I was going to write more but I rolled my eyes so hard they fell out the back of my fucking head.

I think you should have your eyes seen to. The rolling back you mention and your clear lack of vision is worrying to me.

No where did he suggest what you put in his mouth.

That said, I would state, quite assuredly, that people who pride themselves on immersion and role-play are people who pay homage to what DayZ was meant to be.

Get your head out of of your donkey and realise that some players are more fit to play this game in an appropriate way than others.

I give examples. Glitch exploiters, fresh spawn killers and very likely 'shoot on sight' players, and other trolls. I think, were we to do a test, you would see this things less on first person servers.

PS your witticisms I have seen a million times before. Get some of your own.

Would be nice to have third person but with the frustum culling of first person (as far as other players go). I do prefer third person mainly because Arma/DayZ first person feels very rough but I do dislike being able to see over walls and around corners etc.

• Like 1

For me I'm only continuing this discussion because I don't like the playerbase to be fractured.

In an ideal world, TPV will be setup so that line of sight works the same way it does for FPV (frustum culling apparently ^^) and no-one has an advantage over each other so we can all play together. But as I mentioned a few posts ago, this will look very disjointed for the TPV players since your avatar will be able to see things that will be obscured by objects from the cameras point of view AND vice versa.

f.e. Imagine watching someone running through some trees from TPV with this implemented. Everytime he passes behind a tree - in respect to the POV of your character - he'll disappear and then reappear a fraction of a second later. Then he'll still be *visible* but will be behind the same tree from the cameras POV, so in effect it'll double the time he's hidden by each tree as well as making his model flick in and out of vision. This will look pretty horrible and will probably result in most players moving to FPV and/or probably complaining about how it's now the FPV players that have the unfair advantage :)

So it's either separate hives with one of them offering an unreal perspective, a screwy TPV or just have everyone playing FPV and getting used to it. Of those three options, I'd go with the third since it needs 0 devtime, keeps the playerbase together and is realistic and as I already mentioned, makes the game much more immersive.

Edited by phlOgistOn

So, in a game based on realism and survival, it's totally realistic to wallhack using 3rd person perspective, right?

I have used it, because it's part of the game, but I have no problem with Third Person being removed, EXCEPT in the case of driving vehicles, because TBH driving a vehicle in DayZ without third person is an exercise in futility.

if this game was based on realism we wouldnt have are super human zoom in eyes, or zombies to begin with.

if this game was based on realism we wouldnt have are super human zoom in eyes, or zombies to begin with.

The super human zoom eyes is just supposed to represent the range of vision of the human eyes, that is a balance between the wide field of view and the fine acuity of the focal vision. Without a zoom you would only get to choose one or the other. Think of it as less of a zoom and more of a showing what's in a small area (your central vision) in a little more detail. Of course, with that respect the peripheral vision should then be slightly blurred.

Yeah, don't you know? 1st person players are just better than everyone else. It's like a superior race of beings, except from the same planet and sorry I was going to write more but I rolled my eyes so hard they fell out the back of my fucking head.

Eyes fell out?....no problem, just watch urself in 3rd person...life is much easier.

Edited by svisketyggeren

For me I'm only continuing this discussion because I don't like the playerbase to be fractured.

So it's either separate hives with one of them offering an unreal perspective, a screwy TPV or just have everyone playing FPV and getting used to it. Of those three options, I'd go with the third since it needs 0 devtime, keeps the playerbase together and is realistic and as I already mentioned, makes the game much more immersive.

No matter what you, the devs, or any of us do, the playerbase is always going to be fragmented and at each other's throats over stupid shit like this. If they weren't arguing over it, they'd be arguing over something else with the same vehemence and indignation. It's not a solvable problem.

I wouldn't mind having the line of sight breakage in third person view, though obviously I would prefer the first option. I spend very little time in first person view unless I'm looting and want a smaller area covered by my view, or I'm zooming to shoot. It's not realistic, but hey.

Never been that big of an advantage. view widens slightly and you can peek over and around some stuff, big deal. Compensates nicely for not being able to peek trough "keyholes" and the like or just raising your head slightly instead of having to go all the way from prone to kneeling. Which is why the ARMA engine had it put in at it's first OFP incarnation in the first place.

The QQ can stop since there are FP only servs now. Must be hard to lose another "look at me being the shiznit" pointer.

I'm going with the aforementioned opinion.

3rd/1st person servers - different hives. 

A good compromise. Why are we still having this argument. 

Someone who likes 3rd/1st person will never be convinced.  It's like trying to convert a Creationist.

• Like 2

Someone who likes 3rd/1st person will never be convinced.  It's like trying to convert a Creationist.

I'll have you know that God told me he prefers first person. Makes sense really... so if you'll just hop onto this cross here... 

Everyone takes the easy route in life. Why in hell would they do any different in a game.

3rd person off = How dayz should be played, nuff said.

I don't hate either way though. 3rd person has it's moments for when I'm lazy or want to check my hot bod....

For people wanting to try first person only turn your field of view up 3/4 in the video settings. Gives you a legit peripheral view. Your choice on head bob on/off.

Edited by RyBo

Yay for splitting the community.

Of course they are empty, same history of the mod, people complaining about first person only, but every time you see a server FP only is like 10/50 or 6/50,,, but u know, people is always complaining,,

1) the max player count is 40

2) I only play on 1st person servers and they are FULL.

3) First person is the way the game was meant to be played. See the Dsylexi video for explanation.

• Like 2

why people impose their way of playing as the best of all?

Why simply for the joy of all do not give us private servers where ADMs can put what they want and expect people interested in this style of play?

Just because you choose not to play Hardcore means being only 1 person.

Hardcore to me is the loot be much lower where must I have to armazer something to survive and of course find someone hostile.

two tools that an ADM should have for your server.

Button to set the percentage of loot

Button to set whether 1 person only or both options.

so everyone will be happy and not imposing a single way to play.

again sorry my english.

What makes you think that server admins should have a say in how the game is played?

Everyone takes the easy route in life. Why in hell would they do any different in a game.

3rd person off = How dayz should be played, nuff said.

I don't hate either way though. 3rd person has it's moments for when I'm lazy or want to check my hot bod....

For people wanting to try first person only turn your field of view up 3/4 in the video settings. Gives you a legit peripheral view. Your choice on head bob on/off.

Doesn't that decrease fps too?

Doesn't that decrease fps too?

Not at all, the difference isnt that noticeable.