millenniumgroup@gmail.com

The M4 sound is very bad, along with the ballistics

The sounds are not that great yet for the M4, but the Mosin sounds and handles fantastic.

I dont mind the M4 for shooting but the sound definatly can be improved alot.

I suspect they reduced base accuracy on purpose. In the mod an m16 with ACOG was a godly weapon, now you start with crap accuracy and must collect all the pristine parts to make it into a mid-range weapon.

Problem is, unless you have those exact attachments, are prone, and have the bipod deployed the gun is way to inaccurate to be used reliably at mid range. But its getting fixed so we'll just have to wait and see.

OP: I agree as of now the M4 sounds terrible, but with the new sound guy on board we can only hope for eargasm inducing sounds coming down the pipe soon.

It's been stated in another post I believe, that most sounds and animations are placeholders for the moment.  There's not even sounds for doors opening and closing, so I would assume this is something they will be taking care of in the future. Tho I I get the feeling adjusting of and implementing new sounds will be a higher priority considering that the sound of the gun being more accurate does not hinder gameplay, at least for the most part from what I can figure out. You can recognize it's a gun shot and that it is different than the mosin and pistol, so as of right now probably not a high priority as much as an aesthetic feature for more accurate sounds.  I also believe I read they just hired an audio guy that worked on the mod ( never played the mod, just followed it so could be wrong that he worked on the mod or a spin off mod of dayz) 

Though, it's not like I'm going to tell you and others not to report/comment on these things, because that's the point of us testing and playing the alpha, to report/comment on this stuff.  Thanks for your input. 

Never has been sound for doors opening and closing in the ARMA engine so dont hold your breath, although I find it to be a seriously needed addition. So I think those dudes need to look at every thing they can do to add them. 

Also would like to see sound effects added to someone running against chainlink fences, sheet metal and walls as I suggested in my post "Lets up the Fear Factor". Sound will be the make or break for DayZ immersion. It's number one for survival horror genres. Period. 

Yeah, more things should affect your vision and hearing, and gun fire causing ringing and dampening of hearing would be excellent. Maybe you can add ear plugs as equipment too! When you are sick you should have hearing loss too that might go in and out. It would be really awesome if we had some ringing or something after a concussion (knocked out from melee hit in the head) as well.

Re: M4 Sound

I've got an M4-type (14.5"), carbine length (16"), and standard (20") AR-15. Words cannot describe how absurdly loud the M4 is, compared to even the carbine with just an inch and a half more barrel. Instead of simulating the actual hearing damage one inflicts on himself by firing the real rifle, perhaps we could have a few seconds of "ear ringing"...

The damage needs to be increased, it's still pretty bad judging from when my character got shot two or three times by a sniper the other day. I wasn't even badly injured.

Bullet drops are NOT aligned vs real life stats.

I'm kinda wondering how you checked that.

DayZ-----------"Real"

0.23m----------0.30m

0.62m----------0.73m

1.26m----------1.43m

2.27m----------2.47m

3.76m----------3.99m

5.91m----------6.16m

8.90m----------9.21m

Congrats? I fail to see what this have to do with my thread?

I want a sound that's 99% close to the real one, i'm not talking about damaging your ears..... seriously guys is this the type of level were on now, where one has to explain himself on every god damn detail?

What if someone suggests a frag-grenade to be more real-life-like, do you think he means he want's you to use a real grenade closeby to your pc in case you die in the game?

First off, it's not 'your' thread. Once you post on the forum it is open to everyone with an account, so please stop feeling so entitled.

Second, I think you are lost in translation, assuming english isn't your first language, or you are lost in the context. I believe what people are saying regarding hearing damage is that they think the character you control should get hearing damage, not the player.

Third, chill. These forums are for the community to discuss topics, and being explosive isn't helpful.

• Like 1

Agreed, the M4 atm sounds like a crappy spud pistol I had in the 70's.

I must say sound has never really been a strong point with B.I, hence all the sound mods for Arma. But hopefully the new sound guy mentioned earlier will turn that around.

Fingers crossed.

I agree. Weapons are seriously muffled, and I do think dispersion is a bit ridiculous. I posted a thread about weapon sounds and hearing protection a while ago...

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/157272-idea-gunshots-tinnitus-and-hearing-protection/#entry1575605

But yes. 100%. Firing your weapon should be a BIG DEAL. They are loud. People who haven't had experience with guns don't seem to understand that. They will deafen you. You are literally firing a tiny canon in your hands.

The m4 sounds great in this game, love the crack and the sound of incoming fire. Disagree with the op completely.

Crack is really good.

I just think guns need to be louder.

• Like 1

Another thing is zombie agro range, it should be massive 5x what it was for most guns on the mod.

Through a building the range is halved from what I remember in the mod, maybe you could craft these improvised sound suppressors to bring the range down even more, to make just the simple act of shooting someone/ a zombie a lot more complicated.

Choice for zombies should be melee, maybe guns in groups.

I'm in full support of just having gun blasts replaced with a partial gunfire noise followed by ringing. If this actually happens, I do hope that some ear protection is added in game so that only the somewhat muffled, but still loud as shit gunblasts are heard.

Any gun that has no suppressor is pretty much a deaf sentence. If some derp fires a weapon in the middle of a city, I believe that every zombie within the city should immediately aggro towards him and every zombie within a large radius outside the city should be influenced to travel towards the source of the sound.

Of course, the zombies being able to noclip through everything needs to be fixed before this happens.

Edited by MystoganXIX

Also any cod/cs/bf people please stay out of this topic , aka people who never operated a real weapon before. I don't care for your fake opinion, thanks.

You want it to be like a real weapon? Ok then, if you fire it without earplugs you go deaf.

Yay realism over gameplay.

Lay Prone, deploy bi-pod, look down ACOG.. Good up to about ~250 meters.. Any further and you're lucky to hit 1 out of 3.

I have bad news for you, either you´re bad shot, or there´s some hidden modifiers in the weapon itself.

M4 pristine with stock parts fired from prone hits human size target up to 200m with iron sights, add bipod and it´s reliable at 300m. I´d wager magpull parts could increase that to 350, maybe 400 haven´t tested that.

Just a note though, damage when distance is above 200 is very low, even zeds take 2 shots to kill.

Sounds really are bit puny at the moment i agree.

Its not a .223 to be exact, its a 5.56 as it is a NATO rounds in  that weapon, its not the AR15 ya know, I figured if you wanted to be exact I should.

I have bad news for you, either you´re bad shot, or there´s some hidden modifiers in the weapon itself.

M4 pristine with stock parts fired from prone hits human size target up to 200m with iron sights, add bipod and it´s reliable at 300m. I´d wager magpull parts could increase that to 350, maybe 400 haven´t tested that.

Just a note though, damage when distance is above 200 is very low, even zeds take 2 shots to kill.

Sounds really are bit puny at the moment i agree.

I've shot at dead still zombies using a fully pristine M4 from no more than 25 meters away, and had the shots go well left or right. The guns are almost entirely random at the moment from what I can tell.

I've shot at dead still zombies using a fully pristine M4 from no more than 25 meters away, and had the shots go well left or right. The guns are almost entirely random at the moment from what I can tell.

Then either you were doing something weird or the guns themselves have modifiers we can´t see, because mine is accurate to 200m from prone, and i have video of it too.

Sounds ?? There are other concerns other then the freaking sounds.

Sounds ?? There are other concerns other then the freaking sounds.

Sure there are. And there are larger concerns in life outside of freaking computer games too but we're not discussing those in here either. In this thread we're talking about the sound and ballistics, if that's ok with you. 

• Like 1

I hate the sounds right now. Mosin is terrible IMO. M4 is just ok, but not loud enough in my opinion. If you've never played a game where the gun "feel" and sound awesomely real, your lucky your not spoiled that way i guess. Arma, BF and COD are NOT like that unfortunately. When you match the recoil speed and amount with a nice, decently loud gun shot sound effect, it is amazing.

My crouched walk/sneak footsteps are louder than the M4, if i turned the volume up i'd be deafened by them and the sea shore sound long before the M4 sounded right. Heres what loud gun sound effect can be like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZFY4I8Vcss

Its not a .223 to be exact, its a 5.56 as it is a NATO rounds in  that weapon, its not the AR15 ya know, I figured if you wanted to be exact I should.

For your enlightenment, 5.56 and .223 fired from an M4 and an M4-profiled AR-15 sound exactly the same. There's a pretty obvious reason for that.

• Like 1

the m4 sounds awesome sometimes i just unload a whole clip into a random direction because it sounds so awesome