pogosphere

Why is the world of dayz so static ?

the OP could have been shortened up considerably by simply typing "I have no idea how video game development and game engines work"

You're asking this game to have all the physics of half-life, super smooth animations and combat of The Last of Us or modern FPSs AND have a massive overworld keeping track of thousands of zombies and loot spawns and dozens maybe hundreds of players at once?

Good luck with that.

Edited by serenityrick

Is that Zach Braff with a beard and mustache in your avatar? lol

Its a crossover between Gordon Freeman And John Dorian.

• Like 1

There's a reason Elder Scrolls Online looks like Fallout3, because it's a massive multiplayer game. There's a lot more going on in a DayZ world than any MMO you might play. Just having all that shit going on at once is what we're currently testing. 

Just cuz you say "I KNOW IT'S AN ALPHA BUT W/E" doesn't change the fact that it's an alpha. 

the OP could have been shortened up considerably by simply typing "I have no idea how video game development and game engines work"

You're asking this game to have all the physics of half-life, super smooth animations and combat of The Last of Us or modern FPSs AND have a massive overworld keeping track of thousands of zombies and loot spawns and dozens maybe hundreds of players at once?

Good luck with that.

Nah, he shoulda just said, "Hey, some folks told me about Dayz, so I picked it up.  It was not what I expected, and I don't like it.  I guess I  don't quite get why everyone likes it like it is.  Make it different, so I can have fun... sorry if that ruins the whole damned point of the GAME!!

That my son, is why they are so pissed.  People wanting DAYZ to be something it is not, nor should be.  It has been loved by many for many reasons, with or without everything being perfect. 

Well after reading this topic go back and forth you can clearly see valid points on each side. However the main problem I see from most of these topics is there is too much fandom with peoples responses. I myself have played the mod since it first release and enjoy the SA a bit atm. However when talking about a game you are alpha testing you really need to knock it off with the fan boy crap.

The best testing way I've seen to help a game is to be pretty much non biased towards to game otherwise your responses on the game are skewed and will not promote a better development.

• Like 2

I think in a game with a map this size, 95% enterable buildings, Zombie AI in action alongside players etc, the graphics look incredibly atmospheric. As for destructable scenery... really? Maybe cutting down trees with an axe I guess, but fences...?

None of the doors in the game can be locked so why would you want to axe your way into a building, potentially alerting nearby unfriendlies? I think some players maybe should give it time before regretting their purchase.

Edited by Jamz
  • Like 1

1. Entitled Idiot gets warned from all sources.

2. Entitled Idiot pays 30 dollars, because he is unable to wait or understand.

3. Entitled Idiot knows nothing about PC Game Architectures.

4. Entitled Idiot compares the Arma 2.5 Engine(small company) with the Watchdogs Engine(Developed by a Gaming Giant for several million dollars) and is disappointed.

5. Entitled Idiot didnt watch any Stream or preview Video to inform himself.

6. Entitled Idiot expects a Console Style Zombie  Arcarde-game.

7. Entitled Idiot calls people wich know what they payd for Fanboys.

8. Entitled Idiot needs attention and creates a Thread.

9. Entitled Idiot acts like an entitled Idiot.

Edited by Sloddor
  • Like 7

Tell me ONE game, that made a complete game in 1 YEAR, with a small team, with a 225km map, with almost every building entrable, that doesn't have bugs and glitches, and don't copied and pasted their last game like COD, tell me.

Minecraft

Agree with a Few of your comments, however why do you keep saying " 3 YEARS Development" I've been here since the Mod got popular and it wasnt even fucking 2 years, let alone when they announced this Game

imagine dayz in minecraft graphics... oh boy. 

It's Called " 7 Days to Die " with better Graphics, know your games FIRST before spouting

First of all your comparing the graphics of single player games with a sandbox game? Or I must have missed the memo that Crysis 3 has sandbox gameplay online. And if you think this comparison is justified I feel bad for you.

Secondly I don't think BI will invest all their money into DayZ SA as their main focus is still their simulation engine/games for the military. 

And of course it is still an Alpha instead of saying "Give us worth our money" you could have just read the huge ass disclaimer on steam and what have known the game isn't near the finish and give them ideas instead of calling them out on stuff like most of you people do. It is a work in progress and you should have known that when you bought the game.

2/10 for your picture/icon with the faked "Reichsadler". For all of you who dont know what his symbol means just google "Reichsadler" in google pictures. And than say me if you are ok with his mentality.

So 2/10 for your tolerance.

Besid of that all of your points are valid.

It is a symbol since the Roman Empire, I don't see your pov regarding his mentality? In WW2 they changed the looks and now he did change the looks (or likes the design) if you were pointing towards WW2.

I always quite liked the arma 2 graphics tbh.

Same here...

I am getting really sick of the new "look" of really chunky graphics like in C3/BF4 etc, it just seems very cartoony to me. One game looks like the next recently, with no distinctive feel.

But, that's only my own opinion.

One of the reasons I decided to go with the ARMA RV engine for my map is because of its really "precise" and sharp look. It doesn't rely too much on all sorts of post processing filters and extravagant shading tech, but does what it does really well- and it's a great looking real world sandbox.

I honestly think one of its pluses is that there isn't a vast library of particle fx/shaders/pp etc, it comes down to the creators individual design and vision.

And before anyone maybe asks me- yes, I've used CEs many engines and also Unreals too.

I just don't rate their "look" - they're just so samey and gamey looking, and they just don't do scale in the way ARMA does.

• Like 1

Guys, this is getting embarrassing. We can do better than this.

Please stay on topic and leave the insults, however thinly veiled they may be, out of your posts.

• Like 1

Well when vehicles are implemented i imagine you can spend all the time you want running down little white picket fences to your hearts content since i was possible to do it in the mod. Or if Dean decides to bring in Armor you can blow the shit out of the buildings in cherno for shits and giggles.

If you want to destroy something right now you can go to your nearest fuel pump and hit a dozen times can't say you will survive it though.

It might look decent but its one of the worst engines ive ever played on. Rocket said everything was build from the ground up and they heavily modified the arma 2 engine but its showing the same problems as arma 2. And i honestly dont think it wil ever get fixed.

Guys, this is getting embarrassing. We can do better than this.

Please stay on topic and leave the insults, however thinly veiled they may be, out of your posts.

Out of genuine interest, could you let us know where any thily veiled insults are in this thread please?

I think people are doing a good job of getting their thoughts out here Max.

Are you referring to the guys avatar comments you mean?

Either way, are threads allowed to sometimes drift off the original question within reason, or is it a no no?

A shame if so, as some good comments are coming through here. :)

Edited by meshcarver

You act like they dont have made a ton of money out of arma 2 , arma 3 and the steam sales of dayz.

There are many development teams out there which have less than 30 developer, they are making indie-games like Bohemia Interactive does.

But non of them is chargeing 60 bugs for there indie games!

And by the way if they would  take 10 % of the money they made out of the steam sales of dayz standalone they could license every engine on the planet. 

I dont understand whats so hard to understand on this equation:

premium product            = premium price  (60 $)

medium quality product  = medium price   (20-30$)

low quality product         = low prize           (1-20 $)

If someone wants to pay for call of duty ghost 60 $ than its the problem of this person.

As long as people buy this kind of stuff at this pricepoint even if it is low quality , Activision will happily charge that price for an 6 years old engine.

As Bohemia Interactive will go on with selling you a renamed arma 2, based on an engine which is even older than the call of duty engine, as dayz.

Do you even know what an indie game is?

"We strongly advise you not to buy and play the game at this stage"

WE STRONGLY ADVISE YOU NOT TO BUY AND PLAY THE GAME AT THIS STAGE

Edited by Sutinen

Questions:

What does it bring to the game haveing an 225 km map which is beside of the buildings and 3 zombies + 40 players on the map totally empty and unable to interact with any object on a physical way?

Is the mapsize not way to huge for 40 players , make it even 100 players(which i only belive when i see it).

Is there is a difference between quality and quantity?

Does bigger maps equals  automatically more fun or better game?

Even  if the map is as empty and boring as the arma 2 map?

As a zombie survival game having a large map is an advantage, it gives you places to roam and hide and try to make a life for yourself without zombies at your feet. If all you are looking to do is to PK you want the small maps, like most of the games you listed. This game has only recently been released as a standalone alpha after being ported from a mod. Buildings which in the mod you could not enter are now enterable with some interaction. Zombies which were very light the first couple of days on release are already being spawned more although they still only happen on server reset right now, its alpha the respawn is currently not working but fixes are being put in place. I do find it fun exploring these large maps and finding the hidden little extra details they add into places.

This is a truer alpha than I have seen in many of years. A game in Alpha means it is in the first of its design really, things will start off light and by the time they get ready to go to beta will be closer to what you are probably expecting. A game in alpha will have many broken parts and a horde of glitches, by the time it goes to beta a game should have no broken parts but will still have bugs and glitches that need to be worked out. By the time a game is released in theory you have removed all of the issues and the game is perfect, in reality you will still have bugs and glitches that will need to be patched. The more people are involved in testing and ACTIVELY reporting any bugs, glitches and other issues they find the easier it is for a developer to know what needs to be fixed. As more features get added in the greater the chance of an issue appearing which is why they do things in stages.

When you take two programming systems one being the core engine and the second being the mod things will be broken and need to be changed and altered in order for it to function. No matter how easy you may think it would be there are always issues when modifying a core engine. The engine is being modified to better support the overall picture the developers have for the game which may very well include a number of the items on your list but first they need to be developed.

The more graphic intensive you make a game, especially a large multiplayer sandbox game such as this the less you can really offer the end user. Could they possibly optimize it so that the client is receiving every detail for the entire map and render a smaller area sure but  then they would probably be handing over more control to the client(you) which can add in more lag, can you say CoD where you should someone 5 times in the head and then they turn around and shoot you once and your dead.

Out of genuine interest, could you let us know where any thily veiled insults are in this thread please?

I think people are doing a good job of getting their thoughts out here Max.

Are you referring to the guys avatar comments you mean?

I'm referring to the replies that target the person behind the post, not the post itself. Look through the comments and you should be able to see what I mean.

Either way, are threads allowed to sometimes drift off the original question within reason, or is it a no no?

A shame if so, as some good comments are coming through here. :)

Sure it can drift off-topic a bit, but when the argument gets heated it's better to focus on the point and leave the one-liners and memes out.

Yes, a lot of the comments were good, my post was aimed at those that weren't.

On topic now, please.

Edited by Max Planck