muggerfugger (DayZ)

Allow private hives, but with regulations and licenses....

There's been some talk of private hives. The truth is, we need them. Alot of clans want their own servers with their own hives, and specialized settings for their communities.

but unlike the mod, there should be some guidelines/regulations/rules, etc that server owner/admins must follow in order to be licensed the server software.

The Licenses should be free, and only certain hosts who agree to the rules themselves should be allowed to host servers.

One of the main rules in order to be granted a licenses is you must agree TO NOT SELL LOADOUTS or any IN GAME ITEMS for actual cash. This is one of the biggest negatives about the mod that greedy server admins did. It ruins the game, and its not very honest of the server admin to do so. They're pretty much making illegal cash off of stuff other peoples work. DayZ was never intended to be played like that.

Break the rule? Lose the license, and your server is suspended.

This one community i was in for a short time did this, and made alot of money off of it. $50 for a gun loadout? Dean and his team never got a dime from that, and besides like i said, the game was never intended to be that way.

If the admins do this in order to "pay for the server", then they shouldn't have a server they can't afford to begin with. Proper communities will always donate enough money for their server. I've been in several clans that do this with various games, and it's never a problem.

Such guidelines will help make sure Dayz stays clean, honest, and it'll also put less demand on the official servers.

Any ideas on this? and other guidelines?

Edited by muggerfugger

Public servers are fine god admit.. It's alpher. Give the game time I don't want he private hive mentality on here.

Sure private pass worded servers through the public hive fine whatever but compleat different loot tables private gear etc is pathetic and not for DayZSA.

The devs plan on implementing database sharding which gives the best of both worlds. Private servers will operate on their own shard of the database, this allows communities to have their own private servers (which can also be grouped together) without it affecting the main database and without giving server owners direct access.

Server rules really don't work in my opinion. We've been through this before with the mod, servers constantly breaking rules and being reported and then nothing ever happening to them. 

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 2

If it were accepted to rent own servers there is a problem with multihosting as rocket mentioned.

it would be very expensive to rent one.

And the admin tools should be none. too many admins abuse their tools. 

im hoping any kind of bad behaviour can have server blacklisted. in privates before the usual response once you caught a badmin was im private so go fook yourself ! hopefully it isnt the same this time round.

i dont mind private as long as it isnt a license for the admins in these to charge for basically people playing.or abuse of tools.

Edited by dgeesio

One problem: They can still disguise it as a donation and still "give" the donator a loadout....which is still pay2win imo... Until rocket gets off his ass and stops his no rule/yourstory/do what you want policy there will be no rules for DayZ.

If it were accepted to rent own servers there is a problem with multihosting as rocket mentioned.

it would be very expensive to rent one.

And the admin tools should be none. too many admins abuse their tools.

I logged on a server last night.. So e interesting welcome server messages "no swearing and don't be a cunt" .. Seriously in the server welcome messages when I logged on :O

One problem: They can still disguise it as a donation and still "give" the donator a loadout....which is still pay2win imo... Until rocket gets off his ass and stops his no rule/yourstory/do what you want policy there will be no rules for DayZ.

see if that happens you better get ready for the campaign ! cause im gunna spend every waking minute from youtube to every gaming forums getting that stopped ! admins dont own nothing. you get donations from gestures not any kind of sales .

I think private hive admins should be able to do whatever they want. That's except for spawning things in and cheating with admin tools.

They are after all private hives.

Edit: I might have been a bit unclear. I meant they should have vanilla servers, but they should be able to do what they want on those servers.

Edited by narkoman14

I am sure people who post on these threads do not know the difference between private hives and owning a server which interacts with the main hive.. Sigh..

So clans want their own servers? To do what? Hoard gear? How dull and boring that must be.

If SA goes the way of the Mod with bullshit spawns and 10,000 vehicles then the game (vanilla) is doomed.

• Like 3

one shall not host private "custom" servers during an alpha -> custom servers will cause custom bugs & hide offical ones

and since a custom server is requiered for a custom hive -> wont happen  :rolleyes:

Thing is, once someone has access to the server software, you can't shut them down, at least without forcing the game to rely on an official database or some such(it would have to actually receive something required for the server to run, if its a simple "call home" check to make sure the server is authorized, that can be cracked).

Don't like private hives, at all, however they are officially confirmed, so... whatever.

I do agree the admins shouldn't be able to customize at all though.

As for the donations thing, pay2win isn't the correct way to do anything, however, after being a broke admin of minecraft for over a year now, they do that to pay for the server, while being able to build a community around it, and the only way to really get donations, is unfortunately to offer something valuable to the players, otherwise you might get a few donations here and there, but ultimately it doesn't even cover the cost of the server(which is the point).

Remember, these guys are otherwise using money out of their own pocket to give you a place to play on, it'd be nice if they got donations without having to resort to that, but...well...facts of life.

(Oh, and I am talking about random aesthetics, not pay2win stuff, granted there are still those who actually profit from this stuff, and its usually the pay2win servers, but not always the case)

If they fork up the money to pay for a server then let them do whatever they want.

I hate vehicle heavy server for example and i can choose to not join those but I don't care that they exist. Live and let live.

Those private hives dont affect me or other players in an unfair way if I choose to not play them.

Private hives are the way forward to help with a lot of dayz issues. They already have a system planned that give you a small instanced hive as part of the whole. That should keep private hives in check and vanilla. 

So clans want their own servers? To do what? Hoard gear? How dull and boring that must be.

If SA goes the way of the Mod with bullshit spawns and 10,000 vehicles then the game (vanilla) is doomed.

I would like my own server that is not part of the hive just to know I could go into a barracks and not have someone spawn into a room behind me. If I get shot in a barracks I want to know it was because I was stupid and didn't see the other guy, not that he logged in from another server despite me carefully scoping the location out before moving in.

Private hives are the way forward to help with a lot of dayz issues. They already have a system planned that give you a small instanced hive as part of the whole. That should keep private hives in check and vanilla. 

Yea thats one area I hope does not go into effect.

Private hives need to be completely cut off from the public hive.

Loot from private hives should never make it into public hives and vice versa.

Same applies to player location each should retain their own player location so ghosting, combat logging, server hopping is only a problem in public hives not private.

I dont think that means you will be able to take gear from a private hive to a pub. Just that the hive will be managed by the Dayz team, keeping it regulated properly.

As far as I'm concerned server admins should be severely limited to what they can do and they should definately not be able to alter starting load-outs and spawning points/frequencies/quantities. Heck I'd even go as far to say don't even give them the ability to lock the server.

Wow I never knew there were dayz servers that sold shit for donations... stuff like that totally ruined the most popular free Ultima Online shard.

The devs plan on implementing database sharding which gives the best of both worlds. Private servers will operate on their own shard of the database, this allows communities to have their own private servers (which can also be grouped together) without it affecting the main database and without giving server owners direct access.

Server rules really don't work. We've been through this before with the mod, servers constantly breaking rules and being reported and then nothing ever happening to them. They are impossible to enforce.

You mean the server hosts aren't taking action?  In this database sharding scenario though couldn't private servers that break the rules be blacklisted?

Yeah... I've got over 3k hours logged & every single time I've gone on a private hive the admins & their cliques hoard absolutely everything & if you raid their base you get banned.

I'd like to see the possibility for passworded servers that operate on private versions of the main server but with zero option for customization on it. 

You mean the server hosts aren't taking action?  In this database sharding scenario though couldn't private servers that break the rules be blacklisted?

GSP's are shutting down abusive servers but from experience it's an extremely ineffective solution, really if admins aren't allowed to do something, they shouldn't have the ability too.

To answer your second question, yes they could but it shouldn't be necessary as the whole point of having them on a separate shard of the database is so their private server can't affect the main database/rest of the hive.

Edited by SmashT

During the Mod I played on probably 30+ private servers looking for that vanilla dayz experience we got way back when the mod first released. What I found on every single one of those servers was cliquish admins, favoritism, and hoarding. Friends that I played with at the time had similar experiences on other private servers. We never did end up finding a private server/hive that was just fair play and had a decent admin.

Sorry I really don't think Private hives/servers will be needed. They especially aren't needed NOW since we are still testing the game and we don't even know how rockett and team is going to deal with various issues. So just drop the discussions already.

Let me just play the devil's advocate:

Upon release:

Private Hives should do whatever they damn please, as long as it doesn't affect other private hives and the public hive.

There is a reason why implementing all these, in my opinion simply fascist, rules about how the game is 'supposed' to be played, will simply kill off more than it will preserve. They paid for their private server, let them mock around with it! You don't like that? Find a different one!

Even in the darkness there is always a shard of light, good private hives which enforce their own rules, not limited by the developer. Heck, the more freedom you give people, the more chance they will maybe even produce something good! Don't limit something because it differs from your view of how it is supposed to be. You may be wrong...

You don't like BS private hives? Play public! And please, don't complain that it shatters the community. It is shattered to begin with, with people wanting to play different settings and different variations. Private hives can provide this much faster and much better than the public ones, while also building a community to play with.

I left public hive because it was full of hackers, combatloggers and ghosters, neither of which have even been remotely solved in the mod and which will not be solved by SA. Forgive me for being realistic.

TL;DR version:

(Good)Private hives:

+ No Ghosting

+ Quick response to hackers

+ Quicker problem solving(reverting versions, loot decisions and so on)

+ A regular, solid community

+ Tailored to what people like

(Good)Public Hive:

+ Quick switching if you don't like the server

+ Ability to meet a lot of new people faster

+ Ability to gear up faster(server hopping, OMG!)

- Ghosting

- Combatlogging usually unpunished(switch servers, proceed)

- Hackers usually unpunished(same as above)

- One size does not fit all

Edited by DMZ_Sniper

you forgot free-loot for players with their own servers on the public hive.

but there will be private hives anyways, even if they want to prohibit it so...