lunatik20

SA in need of private hives

Funny watching people run to balota then server hop to gear up.

Even funnier watching people combat log and attempt to ghost behind you using another server.

Public Hive sucks!

• Like 2

Server hopping and combat logging will be dealt with, just be patient. Private hives aren't the only way to deal with these things.

Devs are on holiday and rightfully deserved, assured when they get back shit will get real.

I don't personally like private hives, it failed horribly in the mod with all the crap 1000+ cars, blood bag servers that happened! hate to see that happen to SA.

• Like 5

I don't personally like private hives, it failed horribly in the mod with all the crap 1000+ cars, blood bag servers that happened! hate to see that happen to SA.

I hope even if private hives came to be that the admins wouldn't have any decisions regarding that this go around.

If people want that, the mod is still there.

This! Private hives are worse than "pony cancer"

Server hopping and combat logging will be dealt with, just be patient. Private hives aren't the only way to deal with these things.

Devs are on holiday and rightfully deserved, assured when they get back shit will get real.

How do they plan to deal with it? As far as I can tell, it's unpoliceable without severely disrupting gameplay for everyone. 

This! Private hives are worse than "pony cancer"

Nothing is worse than combat loggers, ghosters, and server hoppers.

Public hive will never fix that only solution is to have each server contain each character therefore private hives.

• Like 1

The only thing that failed was the public hives failing to address the server hopping combat logging and script kiddies.

Thats why the private hives were such a success.

"hate to see that happen to SA."

Don't use the Alpha excuse,but tell me whats changed?

Nothing is worse than combat loggers, ghosters, and server hoppers.

Public hive will never fix that only solution is to have each server contain each character therefore private hives.

I call bullshit - There should be no problem in solving those problems in the Public hive. At all. I've seen a ton of suggestions that'd work perfectly if there were implemented with little to no inconienence to the player.

Secondly - Private Hive killed DayZ for me, it was complete bullshit. I personally do not play on the same DayZ server every time. I simply join an random one and have fun. I'd also hate to see half the people playing on their little own easy heaven private hive servers and thus splitting the playerbase in two. I'd really really hate if I had to rely on some Random private hoster to handle my character and stuff.

Please don't end up like the MOD.

Edited by Horatio
  • Like 2

I call bullshit - There should be no problem in solving those problems in the Public hive. At all. I've seen a ton of suggestions that'd work perfectly if there were implemented with little to no inconienence to the player.

Secondly - Private Hive killed DayZ for me, it was complete bullshit. I personally do not play on the same DayZ server every time. I simply join an random one and have fun. I'd also hate to see half the people playing on their little own easy heaven private hive servers and thus splitting the playerbase in two. I'd really really hate if I had to rely on some Random private hoster to handle my character and stuff.

Please don't end up like the MOD.

Problem could have been fixed in the mod and it wasnt.

You simply cant fix it by having one central server that keeps your location for the rest.

I disagree, you should be able to bloodbag yourself! Well, salenebag yourself now.

I don't think there's anything wrong with private hives... actually I think I'd rather prefer such a server because it just promotes players coming back to the same server and creating an actual community. Now from what I've read the private hives in the mod got all kinds of options to play with making the majority of them pretty crap. I'm hoping that in the SA there will be an option for a private hive, but keep the options regarding difficulty and the spawning system out of their hands.

I wouldn't mind them if they were exactly like the public hive servers just on a separate hive. Rocket has said that these will come, so no need to really discuss it just yet. Let it come and let's see how they are.

Some of you really need to use your grey matter and understand that we're not dealing with the Mod, which to compare the SA to is like night and day.

Unlike the Mod they have control down to the Engine level(unlike the mod) and can basically do what they couldn't in the mod by leaps and bounds. The other major difference, server/client architecture which enables the server to control the client and do whatever the server tells it to do. Both these things together will make it possible to combat whatever comes down the pipe, it may take time but more is possible with the SA by far than anything that could be done with the Mod.

Honestly, people have to take the Mod out of the equation because it IS NOT the same.

While I totally agree there needs to be private hives later (and most likely will be) I also understand that in this alpha phase, they need everything centralized to easier track down bugs and such.  People always say private hives are the "cancer" that "killed" the mod ... from where I sit the mod seems to be alive and kicking and not ALL of those private hive servers have abusive admins and/or 100+ scripts to put the game in easy mode.  Those are the servers I enjoyed playing in, knowing that the hoppers and ghosters would stay away.

Some of you really need to use your grey matter and understand that we're not dealing with the Mod, which to compare the SA to is like night and day.

Unlike the Mod they have control down to the Engine level(unlike the mod) and can basically do what they couldn't in the mod by leaps and bounds. The other major difference, server/client architecture which enables the server to control the client and do whatever the server tells it to do. Both these things together will make it possible to combat whatever comes down the pipe, it may take time but more is possible with the SA by far than anything that could be done with the Mod.

Honestly, people have to take the Mod out of the equation because it IS NOT the same.

I get all of that. You haven't stated what exactly "the fix" is going to be or how it will be implemented.  Simply stating that they'll be able to "combat whatever comes down the pipe" is more of a generalization for many issues. Please expand.

I don't feel there is any easy fix for combat logging or server hopping without being so intrusive, it ruins the experience for anyone who plays. While you've already stated the mod is nothing like SA, it's difficult not imagining something with a timer attached with whatever they plan to do. I personally feel the mods combat timer is more of an annoyance than an aid in reducing combat logging.  If they plan on taking drastic measures such as loss of gear or death, the Graveyard is going to be full with some pretty ticked off players. Also, nobody is going to wait 10 minutes to join another server or not be able to pick up gear for a set amount of time upon joining. Of course, I'm merely speculating, but as stated before, I don't see an easy way without interfering to the point of the game becoming more of a hassle a player rather not deal with.

Edited by R.J.

I get all of that. You haven't stated what exactly "the fix" is going to be or how it will be implemented.  Simply stating that they'll be able to "combat whatever comes down the pipe" is more of a generalization for many issues. Please expand.

I don't feel there is any easy fix for combat logging or server hopping without being so intrusive, it ruins the experience for anyone who plays. While you've already stated the mod is nothing like SA, it's difficult not imagining something with a timer attached with whatever they plan to do. I personally feel the mods combat timer is more of an annoyance than an aid in reducing combat logging.  If they plan on taking drastic measures such as loss of gear or death, the Graveyard is going to be full with some pretty ticked off players. Also, nobody is going to wait 10 minutes to join another server or not be able to pick up gear for a set amount of time upon joining. Of course, I'm merely speculating, but as stated before, I don't see an easy way without interfering to the point of the game becoming more of a hassle a player rather not deal with.

If I knew, I would elaborate on how they would fix the issue of servers hoppers or combat loggers. I was merely emphasizing to people that are putting the SA in the same basket as the mod, that not only it's structure is different but that it should be easier to deal with whatever comes down the pipe. "Whatever comes down the pipe" means just that, any issues that arise that are a major concern or just the minor bugs... Server hoppers and combat loggers being; what seems to be; the hot issues at the moment. I'm not a programmer but I do know having access to the engine level, pretty much anything is possible unlike the Mod.

As someone else has stated, there have been multiple posts suggesting ways to combat these issues, not all of which are timers. What course are the Devs going to take? One could only guess but something has to be in the works or I don't think the Mods would be saying it's going to be taken care of either. I have total faith that these and other issues will be taken care of, we just have to be patient and wait for the Devs to come back from their holidays.

Whether it's a timer or whatever, they won't please everyone because you can't. That's just plain and simple.

Private hives aren't the cure all for everything, yeah there are some good things about them but there's a lot of bad about them as well. This is coming from a person who ran a private Hive for the mod for quite some time, not the 1000 vehicle, 24/7 day, easy mode flavour either.

Edited by R.Neville

If I understand it correctly we are all arguing the same thing in here; combat logging and server hopping are a problem in this game. Now some of you seem to think private hives are the be all and end all answer. I'm sorry but I strongly disagree.

I know the SA isn't the mod but it's seems as if all the 'private hive' supporters kidnap the combat logging / server hopping issue to advocate their precious little private bubble. The same could be said to you; remember this isn't the mod!

So give me one reason why it is impossible to solve both issues (server hopping / combat logging) without resorting to private hives? I believe a lot was said about this also during the early stages of the mod and quite some suggestions that were made then are being made again.

They still hold true I think.

• Timer effecting you changing servers too often (details are debatable)
  • severe punishment when threshold (again, details are debatable) is surpassed. Reset character

So what would be needed to implement this is a mechanic to keep track of a character and it's server. if a character changes server this needs to be noticed and a timer put in place. This doesn't need to be huge. For arguments sake let's say; 2 minutes?

Now if you change server again within x minutes the waiting penalty increases greatly.

Just to be sure; please don't 'counter' argue this mechanic that it's not practical or immersion breaking: "But that means i can't meet up with my friends Bro" / "What if I am on a night server and want to play daytime?"

All of those can be easily said about private hives. Even moreso I would say; you can't change servers period. All of your character data is bound to that one single server. How bout that nightime nah brah?

Ah yes, You want daytime only? No pvp servers...I see what you did there!

One step at a time taking the game into your greasy private hives and changing it to your own liking. Slippery slope mate, slippery slope.

Private hives are not the solution to a problem that is within the game right now. In my opinion that's like throwing away something that is, again my opinion, elementary to the game to solve a problem with that game. The persistence of your character throughout the hive is something that should be preserved and not to be thrown overboard when a problem arises.

I just think thats flawd reasoning and not logic at all.

But maybe we just differ on what we think is elementary to this game, perhaps. Anyway, I am not saying you shouldn't have your private hive and fun. You can have that once the game will support 'mods' of the core game. It is just that the core game (SA) has to be supported all the way and each and every problem encountered solved within the parameters of the game itself.

tl;dr Private hives are an ugly solution for the server hopping / combat logging issues

Now, you can carry on with your private hive propaganda ;)

Edited by tickle_me_jesus
  • Like 2

How do they plan to deal with it? As far as I can tell, it's unpoliceable without severely disrupting gameplay for everyone. 

Not really. I was discussing on a thread a few days ago about this issue and a few of us came up with an idea that could minimise server hoppers/combat loggers. Stopping combat logging is easy once dean implements the clone feature and to stop server hoppers, you basically force everyone to log out away from a city. If you have played DayZ Epoch, you will notice that you cannot log out in a trader city. Having something like this stopping people logging out in a building/town/city and forcing them to head to a forest or field to log will stop server hoppers. And for the ones that try to ALT+F4 in a city or barrack, get randomly spawned in a tree line around said city upon login. The downside to that however, is that mechanic could potentially get abused by combat loggers if they survive the wait period/clone feature.