Sign in to follow this  
spuddy0108

Is it me or does the drink and food meter drop too fast?

Yesterday i spawned at Electro. Looted a bit but didn't find any drink or food. Went straight for Mogilevka. By the time i got there i was starving to death. From the point of spawning to the point i was starving to death didn't took 1 hour.

Respawned at Cherno. Found 2 waterbottles and decided to go to Stary. Just getting there alive took me 4 full bottles of water (refilled at Nadezhdino).

At one time i was starving to death. I find a pristine apple and orange. I eat both. 5 minutes later i'm starving to death again....

So yea i'm of the opinion that the food and drink meter drop unrealistically fast.

• Like 1

Your priority upon spawn should be finding a well and food.

Once at a well, fill up until it says you're completely full, and stuff your face with food.

You'll find you can go a long time without food or water then.

• Like 2

First thing: you spawn very hungry and thirsty.

Second thing: the thirst/hunger icon shows when you are at about 25%-30% of it. So when you eat/drink just so the icon goes away it is not enought and you will be thirsty/hungry very fast.

When you drink/eat enought to be full/stuffed you can go without drinking or eating for a long, long time. Keep in mind that to be completly full of water you need to drink from well about 40-50 times.

• Like 1

Spuddy0108, on 24 Dec 2013 - 2:12 PM, said:snapback.png

unrealistically fast.

Nailed it :D

Let's not play realistic card here, being able to run throught 50kilometers is also unrealistic but serves the gameplay purpose.

And so do getting hungry/tristy faster then in DayZ mod, it makes survival aspect of game more exposed.

Edited by Frosti
  • Like 2

I have gone an hour without needing food or water on a number of occasions, I'm going to assume like most players you run/jog every where. This is obviously going to drain resources much faster.

Some would argue walking is boring. But it saves resources, reduces the chance of you being spotted and makes it easier to look out for danger.

I personally find it more immersive to moving around at a more moderate and cautious pace.

Edited by IcyBlade
  • Like 3

Let's not play realistic card here, being able to run throught 50kilometers is also unrealistic but serves the gameplay purpose.

And so do getting hungry/tristy faster then in DayZ mod, it makes survival aspect of game more exposed.

OK fair enough i personally still prefer the old system regardless.. ;)

• Like 1

Some would argue walking is boring. But it save resources reduces the chance of you being spotted

From my personal expirence it actually does not matter if you run, walk or crouch-run in terms of being spotted. If player is looking at your location directly he will spot you anyway. And if player is not looking your way he will not spot you even if you run. But that's my expirence with sneaking.

What's more if you run you are harder to hit if enemy spots you first anyway. DayZ tought me one thing: When you stop running, you will die.

Actually, this has been discussed several times. And it is probably a subject to change I beleive.

I'll just leave a part of an old post here:

Let’s take a look at basal metabolic rate. According to Harris-Benedict equation we’ll need approx. 1800 kcal a day for a 75 kg 175 cm 30 years old male. We’ll need to make it double if he’s having heavy physical activity.

So, let’s pretend that we need 5000 kcal for our survivor a day with all this stress and running and fighting zombies. He’s sleeping, let’s say, 8 hours a day and is spending approx. 600 kcal while sleeping (summer, +18-23 DegC at night, for example) and is spending approx. 275 kcal/hour while awake.

Our man has approx. 70000 kcal of inner reserves that can be spent without any serious harm so we can last for days without food, so enough with hunger – nothing interesting here. But we have to mention that we’ll lose blood when starving. Probably it’s not a very good mechanic.

Let’s take a look at thirst. In, practically, worst scenario, our survivor will be losing probably no more than 20 gr. of water a minute. That makes 1.2 L per hour. Our man has roughly 50 L of water in his body.

He’ll lose 1.2% in half an hour and will feel thirsty with his mouth dry.

He’ll lose 2.4% in one hour and will feel sleepy with his reaction times lowered, skin red at some places and body temperature slightly increased.

He’ll loose 7.2% in three hours and will have dyspnea, head ache, no salivation and pricking in arms/legs.

And only no less than in 6 hours he can die due to thirst. Worst scenario, lots of physical activity and stress, sweating like our survivor is in hell. But again, as with hunger, we’ll lose blood if dehydrated. And at which level dehydration starts is unknown, but according to status messages you can be dehydrated even in half an hour. That is not correct I believe.

• Like 2

No. You start off already dehydrated and hungry. Eat more. Two pieces of fruit would not be enough calories for a 5km hike. It's literally that simple. You wouldn't eat an apple and an orange and expect to do an all day hike of the Appalachian trail, would you?

If the warning pops up your already to late with eating or drinking, just like irl if your body warns you for something its already to late. 

My tip is eat/drink up till the warning is gone and eat/drink some more and then eat/drink some more and then some more, and then you can just randomly eat/drink every so often when you find new food/water/soda.

Edited by Chauz
  • Like 2

Of so e reason I have seen on certain servers where my guy is breathing heavily and I see like mist from his mouth it drops fast I think it's all tied in to the weather aswel because on a sunny nice server I'm on for food and drink for ages and ages other servers I'm hunting for ponds constantly.

Actually, this has been discussed several times. And it is probably a subject to change I beleive.

I'll just leave a part of an old post here:

Let’s take a look at basal metabolic rate. According to Harris-Benedict equation we’ll need approx. 1800 kcal a day for a 75 kg 175 cm 30 years old male. We’ll need to make it double if he’s having heavy physical activity.

So, let’s pretend that we need 5000 kcal for our survivor a day with all this stress and running and fighting zombies. He’s sleeping, let’s say, 8 hours a day and is spending approx. 600 kcal while sleeping (summer, +18-23 DegC at night, for example) and is spending approx. 275 kcal/hour while awake.

Our man has approx. 70000 kcal of inner reserves that can be spent without any serious harm so we can last for days without food, so enough with hunger – nothing interesting here. But we have to mention that we’ll lose blood when starving. Probably it’s not a very good mechanic.

Let’s take a look at thirst. In, practically, worst scenario, our survivor will be losing probably no more than 20 gr. of water a minute. That makes 1.2 L per hour. Our man has roughly 50 L of water in his body.

He’ll lose 1.2% in half an hour and will feel thirsty with his mouth dry.

He’ll lose 2.4% in one hour and will feel sleepy with his reaction times lowered, skin red at some places and body temperature slightly increased.

He’ll loose 7.2% in three hours and will have dyspnea, head ache, no salivation and pricking in arms/legs.

And only no less than in 6 hours he can die due to thirst. Worst scenario, lots of physical activity and stress, sweating like our survivor is in hell. But again, as with hunger, we’ll lose blood if dehydrated. And at which level dehydration starts is unknown, but according to status messages you can be dehydrated even in half an hour. That is not correct I believe.

I have to agree with this. It might not need a HUGE tweak, but I would like to see hunger and thirst a little closer to real time. Or atleast, maybe be able to change the hydration and food time scale as a server setting... for me personally, on my own server, I would love to go more for realism.

I think it is a little too fast, but that it is probably designed to be this was for the sake of encouraging a lot of activity in the Alpha. If my little PMSing bitch of a character didn't need twelve cans of food a day to survive, I would almost NEVER be seen in the towns.

Of so e reason I have seen on certain servers where my guy is breathing heavily and I see like mist from his mouth it drops fast I think it's all tied in to the weather aswel because on a sunny nice server I'm on for food and drink for ages and ages other servers I'm hunting for ponds constantly.

This may be possible. Now my character is breathing out mist, weather is cloudy and I think he got thirsty way sooner then when weather were nice and sunny.

Box of Cereal / Bag of rice. Eat it from 100% to 0%, then find a well and fill your stomach until it says you feel really full. Everytime I've done this it has lasted me ATLEAST 3~4 hours before I've seen any indicators.

• Like 2

Box of Cereal / Bag of rice. Eat it from 100% to 0%, then find a well and fill your stomach until it says you feel really full. Everytime I've done this it has lasted me ATLEAST 3~4 hours before I've seen any indicators.

this^ if you see your warning its already to late

Since i learned how this good and drink system works i have never been in trouble with either. I turbo sprint everywhere i am going to as well. I can run from NWAF to the coast without needing anything. Alot of people dont know u can use an action by hitting "F". Get to a well or pond and just keep quickly spamming the water to drink really fast. About 30 times in ull be good. It also fills ur hunger gauge as well. First priority when spawning is to get to a well or pond. Then u wont have to worry about a damn thing an have plenty of time to gather resources.

• Like 1

If hunger and thirst is reduced then I suggest food and drink spawns be reduced as well. In fact I would like that anyways.  Also you shouldn't be able to eat 4 cans of beans or an entire bag of rice in one sitting. You shouldn't be able to eat 2000 calories in one sitting without getting sick, or fully hydrate yourself in one sitting either.  It takes time for your body to process the food and drink.

If I were to have it my way I would reduce the rate of your food and drink usage, reduce the spawning of food and drink, and make it so you can't just stuff yourself immediately and fix your starving and dehydrated character. 

This "problem" only arises before you understand the mechanics... I used to think so too, now I think its ok.. Even to the point that there is too much food. If you have 2 canteens you cant die of thirst, thats if you arent completely clueless.. And if you bother to loot anything else than the military you cant die of hunger..

In my opinion the hunger and thirst level is decrising too fast. I had to drink about 7 soda cans to reduce my thirst, in next 10 min "I feel like having a drink". Personally I'm involved at racing. After 10 km run I usually drink about 750 ml of water. My character in DayZ drink all the time. I think that thirst and hunger should decrease twice slower as it is now.

Yea I know this is ALPHA, thats why we need to write our feedback, so the developers can read them.

Hoteevi lay off the sodas and drink some of that well water pumped straight from the ground.  I have nothing to back it up except personal experience, but I'm pretty sure sodas are awful for replenishing your thirst meter.

Use well until your character says that his stomach feels full. Then you don't have to worry about water for a long time. Every village has a well near buildings. I only see thirsty message when I start near the coast. Then I just stuff myself with well water.

this^ if you see your warning its already to late

Not really. I've recovered from starving in the past but it took a lot of food and drink, which is hard to come by. It's not impossible though. Once the warning is red you're pretty much screwed though.