Sign in to follow this  
The Aquatic Land Walrus

Tips on Surviving in Standalone?

Even though I've been playing the mod before it hit mainstream, It's been a while since I played, so I am a bit rusty on it. Anyone got tips on getting off the coast, and just surviving in general?

I know the basics, and quite a few of the advanced techniques well, but it's PVP and map knowledge I need to work on.

Thanks guys, u da best.

(I was just killed by a person who shot me in the back while I was talking to someone else who was screwing around with us acting like a cat and shooting near us)

(10 minutes later, no sign of anyone in the building the cat player was in. Only a gun on the floor, with a magazine that had 3 bullets left...)

Hit the nearest well, drink a ton of water (you dont need a canteen at a well) and run straight to Zelenogorsk. Skip everything until you get there. Thank me later.

Everytime I play, Zeleno is less than half looted.

Subject to change after I hit "Post".

If you want to fist fight, stay on the coast, ;)

Stay away from eating rotten food, don't drink from ponds and avoid ladders like the plague!

Get off the coast ASAP for better quality of life.

Even though I've been playing the mod before it hit mainstream, It's been a while since I played, so I am a bit rusty on it. Anyone got tips on getting off the coast, and just surviving in general?

This should familiarize you with a few changes in SA as well.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/156472-survivors-guide-to-dayz-sa/

Don't get shot.

Shoot to kill.

Unless i'm mistaken, you need to eat and drink enough for the word "healthy" to appear next to your character in the inventory before you start to auto regen blood.

Eat until you get he message, "your stomach is full" and the healthy icon should be lit.

Also don't get KoS'd like I just did. <_<

People will be douche bags, some will try and justify their douche baggery

be aware of douche baggery

• Like 1

Get off the coast, and head into the woods. Find a village with a water well (Look on the map), and drink a lot. Continue all the way to the north, and choose small village which you loot for canned food and water bottles. When you've found this, stay in the shadows of the north until you've found weapons and armor. When choosing an airfield to loot, go for the one in the north eastern part. The one in the north west, and south is usually filled with trigger happy people.

That's just what I've learned.

- Do not go into houses with open doors. It generally means the place is already looted (this doesn't count for large buildings i.e. school buildings)

- Drink at the well until you're no longer thirsty, then 6 times more. That's usually what I do.

- Try to avoid GI Joes (men in camouflage and gas masks) as odds are they've reached "end-alpher" and are just looking to kill people.

- Always survey a large town before heading in. Smaller towns, you can generally get away with, but I've met people there too.

- DO NOT RUN INTO MILITARY BUILDINGS. Take your time checking the corners. I don't remember how many times I've ran into Green MTN and got a face full of lead from some clan on TS.

- Do not sprint the entire time. Jogging may get you there slower, but your hunger, thirst, and tired bar will thank you later.

- Be sure to take the time to sit (yes, sit. F3.) and eat/drink to make sure you don't die of dehydration or starvation.

- If you have no bandages, you can always tear your shirt apart and use that. It has saved me countless times before.

- Don't let anyone force drink/feed you anything. It could be something toxic such as Alcohol or disinfectant spray

I have more, but too many will make for a bad read. Good luck, my friend. Hope to see you in Cherno.

Edited by Gesundheit

The #1 trick to surviving is to not die.

Shit i think i already failed :(

Go straight to some well or water pond in some coast town...drink a lot...

Grab whatever you can from that town...and then head inland...follow the roads...

It will get you to some small village where you can loot in a more peacefull way

Edited by XjoseX

Hit the nearest well, drink a ton of water (you dont need a canteen at a well) and run straight to Zelenogorsk. Skip everything until you get there. Thank me later.

Everytime I play, Zeleno is less than half looted.

Subject to change after I hit "Post".

If you want to fist fight, stay on the coast, ;)

Cherno or Electro is empty on pretty much every server nowdays, Zeleno is packed tho! ;D Always think on what would be the best, in other words, drink from a well, go north, pref, Zeleno, then do the dumbest thing instead. Works for me. However, Balota and the south airfield are packed too.