Sign in to follow this  
Ayy baby.

Coming out to my clan

I'm a gay guy and have been for around 5 years now, my parents and close friends know this. I never had huge amounts of worries coming out to them as I'd been though stuff with them and knew they'd accept me for who I am. I don't know why but I feel more nervous and more anxiety about coming our to my current current clan I play with on DayZ.

We have started using teamspeak and coming out with my slightly camp male voice makes me feel uncomfortable now since I I dont want people to judge me. Organised clan events are becoming draining now just from pretending to be something I'm not. I'm really worried about losing my clan spot because of this. Does anyone have any advice or has been in this situation before?

Wasnt quite sure what forum to put this in.

• Like 5

Just be you, man.  Don't try to be someone you're not.   If your clan or others can't accept you for who you are, you don't need to put up with them.  

• Like 4

While I agree with what Skat3rat said - if you don't feel the need to or just don't feel comfortable telling them then don't. Do they feel the need to inform you that they're heterosexual?

I really don't see what sexual orientation has to do with playing video games.

• Like 2

Indeed, its a videogame, why do you need to "come out" to them? Unless the guys are always talking about pussy, then in that case I think you should just deal with it.

Btw most people don't care if someone is gay.

• Like 1

Dude, if your banner is true, its your clan, do what you want, they don't like it they can leave, just like I did with my clan when they found out I was a brony, don't like it, theres the fucking door.

Dude, if your banner is true, its your clan, do what you want, they don't like it they can leave, just like I did with my clan when they found out I was a brony, don't like it, theres the fucking door.

What is a brony.

What is a brony.

LOL thats funny.

its basically like being gay.

But I wouldnt even bother, if they ask then tell m, if not let it be. Not like youre gunna cam-snap them your junk or anything.

its basically like being gay.

Far from it, I invite you to come down to our thread and talk with us for a while before making such uneducated statements.

• Like 1

Hello there

A word to the wise, remember that folk online can be a little more disconnected than "real life" people and therefore can often overreact or be overly harsh.

If theyre decent types they wont give a hoot either way.

Its a shame we still have to have discussions like this in the 21st century tbh.

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 2

When I'm not playing DayZ or BF4 it's usually WoW. We have a out of the closet raider with us, and he makes it completely clear, sometimes a bit to much. He usually talks to the girls in our group more, for a online gaming community, it doesnt bother us as long as everyone is performing there rolls correctly.

Ok I told my clan and 2 people left as they didnt want to be lead by a 'fag'.

Forget them, better off without

• Like 1

Ok I told my clan and 2 people left as they didnt want to be lead by a 'fag'.

pmsl... Hope you biatch slapped them before they fucked off?

:)

If you've known your clan for a while, you can judge what they think of gay people, though they shouldn't care. And people who hate on bronies, just grow up. Though not a brony, no reason to whine and cry about people who like something you don't. Making fun of them over the internet does what for anyone exactly? You may get off by it, but just know everyone reading your statements is laughing at and pitying you behind their computers.

EDIT: Oops, didn't read your other post. I don't understand people like that. I feel bad that they aren't as open as they should be. At least you got rid of some bigots.

Edited by Bland

I'm missing something here, what are you OP? Homosexual?

"I'm a gay guy and have been for around 5 years now..."

There's a slight clue in the OP's  Originating Post, maybe?

• Like 1

"I'm a gay guy and have been for around 5 years now..."

There's a slight clue in the OP's  Originating Post, maybe?

Whut, jesus, my reading skills suck.

But then OP, I don't get it, why would anyone care about your personal preferences in a game, it's not like you have to rub it on their faces.

Fu**ing people.

Well the two that left were probably arseholes anyway...

• Like 3

it's not like you have to rub it on their faces.

Phrasing.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess your clan is made up of younger players? People who judge someone they actually have previous interactions with on a single issue are not worth being friends with anyways. Any insults should be taken with a grain of salt because in the long run you are better off not being associated with people like that in the first place. It sucks that you are still at a place in your life where your orientation makes you uncomfortable to be yourself and if you take anything away from this it should be that you need to be more comfortable in your own skin. You only control yourself so who cares about the others. 

Being a fellow gay man myself who has been in a similar situation, here is the one bit of advice I can give.

Nobody should give a damn...

Now, since I'm sure that sounds a little harsh, let me explain.

You're not in high school, dude. You're playing a video game with people who also love video games. You shouldn't be worrying about coming out, acceptance, or bigotry remarks. You should be worrying about that zombie about to gnaw on your face or the fact that you are staving to death DESPITE having a can of baked beans but no tool to open it with. People play these video games to escape real life issues- not to deal with them some more... Listen, in no way am I saying that you should of stayed in the closet. However, by "announcing" you are gay- you're forcing an issue that shouldn't be a big deal by turning it into a big deal. As some people here have said, most don't give a crap that we are gay. If you are good with a gun and you are trust worthy- then most will be happy to fight by your side. The ones that do give a crap- are the ones you shouldn't give a crap about anyway because they're obviously not worth anybody's time.

I would of done what one dude above me said. Don't hide who you are, NEVER hide who you are but there isn't any reason to give them information that they didn't ask for when all most care about is playing the game. Just have fun with the game! Kill some zombies, bash in some bandit heads, regret not having a tool to open that can of baked beans (Bitter about that still...) and just enjoy the people you are with! If it came up, then be honest and tell them. There is no reason to hide it and there is no reason to announce it. A person's sexuality doesn't matter I a video game but gay or straight, if they are TRUELY your friends, then they won't care either way. All they would care about is that damn can of baked beans... 

• Like 7

I'm a gay guy and have been for around 5 years now, my parents and close friends know this. I never had huge amounts of worries coming out to them as I'd been though stuff with them and knew they'd accept me for who I am. I don't know why but I feel more nervous and more anxiety about coming our to my current current clan I play with on DayZ.

We have started using teamspeak and coming out with my slightly camp male voice makes me feel uncomfortable now since I I dont want people to judge me. Organised clan events are becoming draining now just from pretending to be something I'm not. I'm really worried about losing my clan spot because of this. Does anyone have any advice or has been in this situation before?

Wasnt quite sure what forum to put this in.

Can't give you beans, all out for the day.  But I would for even posting this.

Personally, there is no reason anything even really needs to be said.  It's not like being gay is uncommon or offensive.  Anyone who has a problem with it can and should take a hike.

I don't know who your clanmates are, but if you need somebody to roll with my forum name is my Steam name.

EDIT:  Just saw your second post about the two leaving.  Don't worry, the gene pool is working on weeding those types out.  Evolution just takes it's time I guess.

Offer still stands for a running mate.  I have a couple buddies that play but we haven't managed to survive long enough to meet up with each other.

Edited by Bakercompany86
  • Like 1

If anyone judges you for being homosexual, why play with them? Your clan/anyone  should not have a problem with your sexuality. If they do than they're not even your friend in the first place

((Homophobia doesn't make sense to me.. especially in this form))