lev

Third person view removal from SA discussion

I disliked 1st person in dayz mod, but now, in dayz SA, i kinda like it. Seems that the FOV slider, or whatever else they have done, really helped 1st person to feel much better.

edit: if there were separate hives for 1st /3rd person, nobody could complain provided there would be enough of 1st person servers ofc.

Edited by Hombre

You guys are funny, are we really doing this thread again??

The only thing you need to know is, Rocket will never make this game exclusively first person, it just won't happen, no matter how loud you all stamp your feet or hold your breath till you turn blue, it ain't gonna happen, you're just all gonna have to deal with that fact.

The best you can hope for is server side choice which is obviously the fair approach and the one that will be given.

If you are all so worried about the lack of servers that will be available (as you should be because most don't want it) put your hands in your pocket and rent your own servers when the option is available.

• Like 4

To argue the point about the 3dp camera being fair because 'everyone can use it'....

If somebody is prone on an apartment building he can see a guy on the ground and that guy has no idea he is up there, even with 3rd person. So it isn't fair.

If that situation was in 1st person, neither could see each other, the guy on the roof would have to get up and therefore be visible.

Just like if player a is behind a wall he can see anyone across the airfield for example without that person being able to see them, even with 3dp.

It is only if two players are up tight against either side of the wall that it is fair, and that doesn't happen.

So please, stop saying it's fair, it isn't.

All this talk of completely removing third person from the game  :facepalm:. It doesn't need to be removed completely to force everyone to play with the perspective you like to play with. Simple solution which has been brought up many times in this thread and others, servers can decide whether to be First Person only, Third Person only, or both. I bet this is how it will be the more the game progresses.

Yeah,  that's the obvious solution...for everybody not seeing. We had it that way in the mod. Server owners could chose. What did they chose? 99% chose Third Person View. Just for comfort. Most probably never realized how much this fucks up gameplay for everyone. TDP encourages a "camp on a roof like some little bitch" playstyle. It's a mild form of wallhack.

Everybody is complaining about KoS...Kill on Sight...how about changing sight? Camptards will have a harder time scoping out the neighborhood when they have to stand up an be visible themselves.

• Like 4

Why should the majority of servers be an easier version of a game that is meant to be hardcore?

For bs reasons such as 'I want to see my character' and 'I get sick'.

I don't even think 1st person is hardcore, it's normal.

Edited by thehet
  • Like 1

To argue the point about the 3dp camera being fair because 'everyone can use it'....

If somebody is prone on an apartment building he can see a guy on the ground and that guy has no idea he is up there, even with 3rd person. So it isn't fair.

If that situation was in 1st person, neither could see each other, the guy on the roof would have to get up and therefore be visible.

Just like if player a is behind a wall he can see anyone across the airfield for example without that person being able to see them, even with 3dp.

It is only if two players are up tight against either side of the wall that it is fair, and that doesn't happen.

So please, stop saying it's fair, it isn't.

I think you misunderstood my point (if that comment about fair is aimed at my post)

My use of the term 'fair' was in regards to having the choice of server to play on, not in regards to the merit of 1st v 3rd.

Thanks.

Yeah,  that's the obvious solution...for everybody not seeing. We had it that way in the mod. Server owners could chose. What did they chose? 99% chose Third Person View. Just for comfort. Most probably never realized how much this fucks up gameplay for everyone. TDP encourages a "camp on a roof like some little bitch" playstyle. It's a mild form of wallhack.

Everybody is complaining about KoS...Kill on Sight...how about changing sight? Camptards will have a harder time scoping out the neighborhood when they have to stand up an be visible themselves.

I know it was that way in the mod I used to play the mod too. Don't get me wrong, I like playing First Person AND Third Person time to time. The best of both worlds! But since DayZ standalone has dedicated servers, half the servers could be TP only and the other half FP only. Having servers with both FP and TP is cheap in my opinion because of your example, TP has an advantage as it is now since servers are not separated. 

Edited by Foxhunt

Point is, even on 3dp only servers, it still isn't a level playing field.

But the choice to play on them with that uneven playing field has been taken by the player, so no issue at all.

You've got your server setting, they have theirs, everyone is happy.

• Like 1

I've been pretty active on the topic in the past. I began to change my mind because of this video by Dslyecxi:

Very interesting food for thought. Especially the fact that FOV in 3rd isn't actually wider; it just affords an extra metre or two of vision due to being behind the player.

It has been a hotbutton issue for many in the past. I think the only way to put it to rest is to have it as a server option. Well... That or everyone promises to buy an Oculus rift when the consumer version comes out. I certainly am.

This video says it all really. I've never played on servers with third person enabled in the mod and i'm severly disapointed there is a lack of these servers in the standalone.

• Like 2

You could always rent your own server and set it up exactly as you like, which would be your right the same as it is every other server owners right to set theirs exactly as they please if they are footing the bill for it.

Servers will have options.... First person only and others for both. Play what you want.... problem solved

The only problem I have with 1st person mode is when driving/flying vehicles.. I have no problem running around in 1st person (assuming everyone was doing the same) when on foot.. but to properly fly a heli or drive decently in a car/truck, third person seems almost necessary.

Problem with keeping it a server option ( seperate 1tp and 3dp servers) is that if most/some of your friends prefer one or the other, then you must comply or part your ways. This is the same case when I play other games with different server settings.

I think we have the opportunity here, to lay the groundwork for future differentiation of the game.

I do not think we should make the mistake, to fall back to the old difficulty-settings. they just give the impression, that there is only one goal to achieve and that there are several difficulty-levels you could attempt to do so. I do not think this fits dayZ very well.

As a replacement, I suggest to "theme" a server, regarding to what players on the server try to achieve, having the settings that make sense for that.

Categories as such could include:

"High PVP", which is first person only, you expect to kill players and them to kill you. difficult setting.

"Low PVP", which has both views, but community-encouraged no-KOS (you have to make contact before killing)

"Adventure", both views, no KOS, but a focus on teaming up and doing things together, even though pvp is allowed.

"RPG", maybe having to give your story before joining, you cannot switch servers and are blocked for a while after you die.

There could be much more styles added later, when more features are added, but the vast advantage against difficulty-settings would be, that it would allow for much more than just to select for difficulty and reflect the situation of the players a lot better and intuitively. 

• Like 1

Remove third person and you just ruined the game for me.

I will be fine with it if and when:

• Turning head bob off actually works.
  • Movement isn't clunky as shit in first person.
  • Turning doesn't take half an hour when not holding a weapon.
  • Moving my mouse horizontally is as smooth as vertically.
  • I don't feel like my character's eyes are a foot in front of it.
  • I don't feel like I have tunnel vision even on high FOVs.
  • I don't get stuck on objects and doors I can't even see in that view.

Until then leave my optional and preferred play style alone, first person is practically broken and I don't care if you feel more "hard core" because you are masochistic enough to enjoy it.

• Like 2

Remove third person and you just ruined the game for me.

I will be fine with it if and when:

• Turning head bob off actually works.
  • Movement isn't clunky as shit in first person.
  • Turning doesn't take half an hour when not holding a weapon.
  • Moving my mouse horizontally is as smooth as vertically.
  • I don't feel like my character's eyes are a foot in front of it.
  • I don't feel like I have tunnel vision even on high FOVs.
  • I don't get stuck on objects and doors I can't even see in that view.

Until then leave my optional and preferred play style alone, first person is practically broken and I don't care if you feel more "hard core" because you are masochistic enough to enjoy it.

if they "fix" all that, people will still prefer 3rd person

people use it to see over and around things

• Like 2

Really everyone needs to get over third person, at some point, especially when private hives become common, you'll have your choice of which features you want and which ones you don't, and I'd be surprised if they don't give us some way to sort by features the way we could with dayzcommander.

So really, stop being selfish and trying to make everyone play the game the way you want them to.

• Like 2

if they "fix" all that, people will still prefer 3rd person

people use it to see over and around things

I agree with you, and even though I use 3rd person to do that myself, it's one reason I'd be happy with it being gone but only if 1st person was fixed first. Fix 1st person or you actually ruin the game for a lot of us by removing 3rd, because 1st person is really just a mess.

and being able to report and punish constant deathmatchers and i would be a happy man.

Because everyone wants to be a carebear in game.... :rolleyes:

For now there is no any game which simulates sound direction and distance as good as it is in real life. It seems there is no technology. But i think some visual compensation can be figured out. For example if someone make sounds behind the wall you may see him (if sound loud enough, to go through this exact kind of wall, there should be some math) as blurry silhouette. Most FPS when you get shot show approximate direction to shooter with red mark. The same can be done for sounds, but not red color, may be yellow or grey. So you can "hear" if someone behind your back. But 3rd person looking through any obstacle and detecting enemy, staying quiet,  waiting for you with his gun ready, should be totally removed. 

Edited by zverochert

Really everyone needs to get over third person, at some point, especially when private hives become common, you'll have your choice of which features you want and which ones you don't, and I'd be surprised if they don't give us some way to sort by features the way we could with dayzcommander.

So really, stop being selfish and trying to make everyone play the game the way you want them to.

this

i have become dependant on 1st person while just walking around..... i need rehab

Where did all the realism fanboys come from anyway? 3rd person makes Dayz a better game, half because the 1st person is ridiculously broken and bad and should only ever be used for aiming... DayZ would be even more clunky of an experience without 3rd person, this isn't an engine like CoD or Battlefield lol

Keep both, there will be 1st person servers. It is in many ways a more logical way to play this game (you invest a lot of time into a character, why allow someone to look at and then kill you so easily) but people enjoy both.

I have played 1st person only in the mod for a very long time, the issue is servers are often under pop.

Im just curious, where do all you 1st person advocates go?

all coming out of the woodwork here but maybe instead of just talking about it, if you agree it gives other players an advantage, don't just use it as well, find a 1st person server. 

Think dean said when alpha goes further down the line there will be hardcore servers where you can't go third person.

problem solved...

NEXT...