lev

Third person view removal from SA discussion

Rocket, please don't take out third person completely out of the game. Some people, like the one I play this game with, get motion sickness and vertigo when they play in first person. The reason why she plays the game with me is because it allows her to play in third person.

3rd person will never be taken out, and for a very simple reason: The vast majority of players prefers it.

This discussion has been around forever, and eventually there will be first-person only servers, just like in the mod.

There have been many many votes about this issue over the years, and rocket himself has acknowledged that most people just prefer to play in third person. 

If you really think rocket is going to piss of the vast majority of the player base by forcing them to play in first-person you're delusional...

Edited by vile.
  • Like 1

Tell her to turn off head bob and adjust the FOV. That will likely cure her issue. 

She doesn't play in FP.

Or tell her to continue playing in third person, like the rest of us.

She does. But if TP gets removed then she won't have that option.

• Like 1

Well the point you all guys are missing is the fact that first person view is NOT realistic AT ALL.  Read below:

• In real life, you don't see things inside of a 2D frame, you can notice stuff on your right and left. That's because the world we see is 3 dimension and we have two eyes that can see not just the focused point, but also almost everything on a 180 angle in front of us (sure it's blurred when our eyes don't look or focus on them but still we can see objects on sides to a certain angle). However, the computer screen you're looking at is 2D and the only way to simulate this view angle is to move the viewing point to back of your character's head.

• The second argument is, in real life we are aware of what our body is doing right now. For example, when you are standing you know your legs are straight up, or when you are scracthing your ass, you know your hands are well, on your ass. There's no way to simulate this feeling in a computer game unless the game uses some kind of device that tracks every limb of our body. The only way to make player have this feeling is to actually show it's character to player on screen. Some fps games like CoD uses an icon to give a simple explanation of how your player character looks such as crouching or proning icon popping out on the corner. But considering there are so many animations and stances for player characters in DayZ, third person is the only way. I know you gotta be retarded not to notice whether your character is crouching or standing in DayZ but that was just an example, you got the point.

Therefore, third person view is much more realistic than first person. Screw you all wannabe so-called hardcore players, you're just ruining this amazing game.

Cheers.

FPV only servers don't solve the TPV problem. Quarantining a problem doesn't mean you solved it. Making FPV only servers only separates the player base.

So lets look at your argument. You argue from a point of selfishness. You have friends who prefer a view and are upset that you often have to compromise to their preference. I get why that would make you upset, but I fail to see why I should care even a little bit. 

Because if the option never existed people would just play the game? Because 3rd person was an option that is how people played. You really don't see, "I need 3rd person or I won't play." discussions coming up in the dozens of First Person only games out there. People just go about their business in game and never even think about it. Because it exists in this game you are forced to utilize it. Because it exists it gives people the out and easy option so the majority take it. Just like when there are options for servers where you start with weapons and can find a vehicle easily because there are 1000+ people take that option. At the same time they miss out on an experience that is actually better and doesn't include those options. 

It might sound selfish, but in some ways I am really advocating on your behalf as well. The game is more interesting in first person. 3rd is ONLY better because it makes the game easier. 

I'll give that a shot, however I've never ever ever been able to play FP, which is why TP works so well for me.  It literally makes me sick, so for me (and I'm sure many others) having only FP would completely ruin the game for me and so far, I love this game :)

I don't understand this. When you turn off headbob and adjust the FOV you end up with the same basic view that doesn't include a body and doesn't have the ability to look around corners or over walls. The only thing I can think of that would make a difference might be that the body gives you a reference point. At that point, however, you shouldn't be able to watch any movies that drop into First Person without feeling ill either.

• Like 1

If it is removed I will quietly accept that decision and adapt, unfortunately many on the other side of the argument are unable to do the same.

what would the 'other side' have to adapt to exactly? most of us do play on servers that allow 3rd person

FPV only servers don't solve the TPV problem. Quarantining a problem doesn't mean you solved it. Making FPV only servers only separates the player base.

Separates them where ? they all are forced to play on the same type of servers so you merge everyone together.

You cant split the player base if everyone is forced into first person servers since tpv do not exist.

It might sound selfish, but in some ways I am really advocating on your behalf as well. The game is more interesting in first person. 3rd is ONLY better because it makes the game easier. 

That is your opinion, others may have the opinion that the game is more interesting in 3rd. There really is no point in trying to quantify reasons that TPV is better than FPV because people will always want to play the view they prefer, the only argument here is exploiting TPV and that can be eliminated by introducing FPV only servers so the rest of us don't have to lose the TPV option.

• Like 1

Separates them where ? they all are forced to play on the same type of servers so you merge everyone together.

You cant split the player base if everyone is forced into first person servers since tpv do not exist.

Stop trolling please.

Well, to get more to my point, this game is in Alpha Stage.  Arguing about an implemented game mechanic doesn't help at this point.  This thread is here so people can argue, hear themselves talk (er, read themselves type?), or troll.  Third person view does give an advantage.  First Person view is not realistic, because it's tunnel vision with no peripheral vision.  Making dedicated would split the fan base and so what if it did?  Now go find glitches!

Edited by MuddyRaccoon

Rocket have said that in near future there will be hardcore servers without 3rd person.

This Topic is Un-necessary.

Quote:You can find it here->http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/156129-confirmed-upcoming-features-for-dayz/

Server Management Options

Target Delivery: Ongoing

Additional options for those hosting servers will be rolled out as soon as we can. We want to encourage a "hardcore" mode that will operate on a separate database, featuring things like first person only, no hide body, etc... In addition, we also want to provide passworded servers that will operate on their own shard of the database. This shard could be grouped, so that a group of passworded servers could operate on their own database. Eventually, we would like to see these different communities on their own db running their own variations of DayZ to meet specific communities needs.

Edited by TankyWanky
  • Like 2

First Person view is not realistic, because it's tunnel vision with no peripheral vision.  

Except 3rd person view doesn't give you peripheral vision, it just moves the view up and back enough to look over things. Your FOV is the same as 1st. 

Merged, because

My topic argues that separating servers won't solve the 3dp problem and suggests to improve 3dp.

This post is talking about removing 3dp completely.

Are these the same topic? I don't think so.

Rocket have said that in near future there will be hardcore servers without 3rd person.

This Topic is Un-necessary.

SO? If all of your friends want to play on hardcore servers and only you want to play on softcore servers. Then what? You would probably compromise and play with them on hardcore.

If half of your friends want to play on hardcore and half want to play on softcore, then you will likely split into 2 groups.

That's what I mean by slitting player base.

Battlefield series did this Hardcore and Softcore after Battlefield 2, just to cater the casual players. I didn't like it one bit.

Edited by realm13

That is your opinion, others may have the opinion that the game is more interesting in 3rd. There really is no point in trying to quantify reasons that TPV is better than FPV because people will always want to play the view they prefer, the only argument here is exploiting TPV and that can be eliminated by introducing FPV only servers so the rest of us don't have to lose the TPV option.

Quantifying would actually lend credence to one's opinion and possible show one to be more valid than another. Opinions are only worth what they are based off of and don't magically become valid by simply being an opinion. I could have the opinion that my boss is an asshole and it could be invalid because the only experience I have with them is through work and they might simply be very impartial and strict concerning work and the most friendly and helpful person you have ever met outside work. 

SO? If all of your friends want to play on hardcore servers and only you want to play on softcore servers. Then what? You would probably compromise and play with them on hardcore.

If half of your friends want to play on hardcore and half want to play on softcore, then you will likely split into 2 groups.

That's what I mean by slitting player base.

Battlefield series did this Hardcore and Softcore after Battlefield 2, just to cater the casual players. I didn't like it one bit.

This would be a non issue since there would be no softcore servers if they remove tpv.

There would be no disagreement over playing on a tpv server or not there would only be fpv servers.

Can you anti-third person people piss off and let the man attempt to tweak it or wait for fp only servers?

What sense does it make forcing your opinions down every one else's throats?

Can you anti-third person people piss off and let the man attempt to tweak it or wait for fp only servers?

Sense is that it removes seeing around objects and improves the gunplay tenfold.

Sense is that it removes seeing around objects and improves the gunplay tenfold.

Thats why you are going to get first person only servers soon enough.

And the majority of players will keep playing the game the way they prefer, on third-person servers.

Like they have been for almost 2 years...

Everybody's happy!

Worked in the mod, and will work in the SA.

Edited by vile.

3rd person view has exploits <- fact

That really isn't an opinion. 

Thats why you are going to get first person only servers soon enough.

And the majority of players will keep playing the game the way they prefer, on third-person servers.

Like they have been for almost 2 years...

Everybody's happy!

Worked in the mod, and will work in the SA.

Not everyone would be happy since the exploit would still be in the game.

Because if the option never existed people would just play the game? Because 3rd person was an option that is how people played. You really don't see, "I need 3rd person or I won't play." discussions coming up in the dozens of First Person only games out there. People just go about their business in game and never even think about it. Because it exists in this game you are forced to utilize it. Because it exists it gives people the out and easy option so the majority take it. Just like when there are options for servers where you start with weapons and can find a vehicle easily because there are 1000+ people take that option. At the same time they miss out on an experience that is actually better and doesn't include those options. 

You are not advocating for me, you are doing mental gymnastics to make it seem that way though so bravo. If STDs never existed I would never have to wear a condom, but that is not a logical argument for not wearing a condom because they do exist. The cat is out of the bag and making easy mode arguments is not going to sway anyone. If you manage to sway someone who actually has the power to implement the change more power to you, but I am entrenched and could care less what you say because I am not going to be lectured by someone over my preference. 

You prove your mindset by saying first person is actually better, I DO NOT AGREE WITH THAT OPINION AND I WOULD LOVE IT IF YOU STOPPED PRESENTING IT AS FACT. Notice how I am not saying third person is better, I am pointing out that we have a difference of opinion and instead of accepting that people enjoy third person you want to dictate perspective based on your preference. That is what someone does when they know their idea has lost. 

Not everyone would be happy since the exploit would still be in the game.

So according to your logic, in every competitive multiplayer game that uses third person instead of first person everybody is exploiting all the time...?