lev

Third person view removal from SA discussion

There already is an official first person server - i logged into it the other night ( mercenary not veteran )

Its ok now there is a FOV slider but having a way of seeing your character would be nice * in game *

You have a very easy to use FOV slider

Definitely not the same and doesn't give me peripheral vision.

I agree, Third Person is as close to cheating as ghosting, hopping, duping, etc. It really pisses me off. However, I do admit that I myself cheat by looking over walls and around corners and the rest of it. I really wish they would add lights and electricity from the power plants, and forcing everyone to play in the dark. However, there should be 2 Dayz days inside of one RL Day.

Wtf?

• Like 2

Third person is fine. If you give me a game with impeccable sound that lets me hear other people breathing and footsteps, as well as more effective leans and some way to simulate peripheral vision, I'll concede 3rd person removal.

Until then, nah. Third person compensates for the lack of other senses. FPS view is not realistic to human perception. I'm not weirdly limited to viewing a box in front of me in real life. Sure, I can't float above myself either but if someone's running down the street on the other side of a wall to me, I can gauge their relative position and speed just based on sound. The game needs some way to recreate this perception, and right now 3rd person view is the best you can do.

Other than having your field of view limited by your monitor and not being able to hear breathing, everything else you described is in the game right now.  The only thing first person lacks from third person is being able to 100% accurately judge your surroundings which you cant really do in real life.

Dslyecxi clearly added a lot of passion and nice footage, but he really didn't add anything new to the discussion.

I just can't see, how you can remove a feature, that's been part of the gameplay since OFP, since the launch of the mod and now since the launch of the standalone. Whether you like third person or not, it's not only popular, it's also a legit part of the game.

That's called an argument from antiquity, Dallas, it's a common logical fallacy. I could make the same argument about how the infected have always glitched through walls, from the very beginning of the mod to the SA. Does this give us any reason to think that we should keep it as a feature?

Edited by Bribase
  • Like 9

Private hive servers! There will be servers that do not allow third person eventually.

The third person option as it is now should not exist on any server.

• Like 1

Are you crazy of course it does.

It does the exact same thing that switching to third person does.

It spreads out view.

In fact you can match the exact same peripheral vision that you have in third person view with a quick switch of the slider.

There really is 0 I mean 0 excuse to use third person view now.

• Like 1

No, youre right, it's not the same. In fact it provides a much broader field of view than normal human foveal vision but a narrower overall field of vision. If you want the game to resemble actual human sight you ought to be prepared to have a game that looks like this:

72167429_524bf02ae4_o-foveal-peripheral-

No you aren't wounded (and that isn't one of the infected), this is normal human vision.

If you walk out of a building in third person and a hostile player is standing right in front of you, you will be shot in the face before you can see anything other than the roof.

Are you crazy of course it does.

It does the exact same thing that switching to third person does.

It spreads out view.

3rd person doesn't actually do that. What it does is affords you the ability to see more because you are simply seeing your character from slightly behind them, it's doesn't change FOV at all. If your problem with removing 3rd person is the narrow FOV, third person view doesn't do anything to combat this, the FOV slider does.

I always wonder why people dont like first person :)

you can change your FOV so you wont have a tunnel vision.

That's called an argument from antiquity, Dallas, it's a common logical fallacy. I could make the same argument about how the infected have always glitched through walls, from the very beginning of the mod to the SA. Does this give us any reason to think that we should keep it as a feature?

I'm not sure I follow you. Are you arguing that third person view is a bug or that our ghostly infected is a feature?

Me, I'm arguing that both first person and third person have always been an integral part of OFP, ArmA and DayZ and that OFP, ArmA and DayZ has always allowed server admins to enforce first person, if they so chose to. We also know that they in large scale haven't chosen to and we know that people, who fantasize about having third person view removed from the game, by and large choose to join third person servers, instead of filling up first person servers.

Why not make a poll?

All polls on these forums have not been very convincing, however back in DayZ mod's prime, using the 1st/3rd person server filter send a pretty clear message, that 95% prefer third person servers.

Edited by Dallas

Think dean said when alpha goes further down the line there will be hardcore servers where you can't go third person.

All polls on these forums have not been very convincing, whoever back in DayZ mod's prime, using the 1st/3rd person server filter send a pretty clear message, that 95% prefer third person servers.

Well imo that first in the mod gave me headaches. Wrong FoV in the mod. Here in the SA i used the FOV slider and almost exclusively use 1st person. 3rd is more or less only used to peer corners without getting seen. Which imo really take the edge from the game

• Like 1

DayZ is a MMO grindfest, which means you have to spend a lot of time in the engine and while the Real Virtuality engine is many things, it's not the world's most perfect first person engine, which is why I can't play long sessions in first person and I don't have to, because Real Virtuality is a pretty good third person engine, so I get to enjoy my character's model and animations as it occupies and interacts with Real Virtuality's large and beautiful world.

I know this comes with a price in combat, but since I'm not much of a bandit, I hardly ever engage, I usually disengage and break off contact. I know that I'm exposed to corner peakers, but I also know that concealed mobility often can render a sniper's position useless. The sniper sets up a killzone, but a sniper reveals his position at the first shot and if you're moving tactically with cover and concealment in mind, a sniper has a very limited window to take the first shot. A sniper, who have positioned himself in a sweet spot will rather let someone like me pass and wait for a fool, who decides to stay static for enough time for the sniper to recite the first two verses of the Lord's prayer, range the target and calculate the mildots, before blowing his head off.

• Like 2

We have had this discussion before and the consensus is there is no consensus.

The discussion ends up going in circles.  I like the idea of a hardcore Hive but i just hope there are enough players who actually use it.

• Like 1

We have had this discussion before and the consensus is there is no consensus.

The discussion ends up going in circles.  I like the idea of a hardcore Hive but i just hope there are enough players who actually use it.

Wouldn't forcing all servers to be first person only generate enough players ?

Before standalone there was a legitimate reason to use tpv there was a severe lack of awareness due to the limited fov in arma2.

Now in stand alone there is a fov slider so increasing your field of view is a simple click away.

• Like 1

Yeah, i would only play on 1st person servers if it was there. With more zeds the intensity will go up for sure. A solution for gamma and being able to report and punish constant deathmatchers and i would be a happy man.

Wouldn't forcing all servers to be first person only generate enough players ?

Before standalone there was a legitimate reason to use tpv there was a severe lack of awareness due to the limited fov in arma2.

Now in stand alone there is a fov slider so increasing your field of view is a simple click away.

Also having a small FOV gave a few people headaches. I was one of them. This FOV slider helped me out a lot. I don't really have any problem now with getting rid of Third Person view. 

There was an interesting idea proposed a while ago... Basically third person would not render any player or zombie which isn't actually in your line of sight.

Similar system used in Project Zomboid. It's top down isometric view, and as you rotate around the zombies just vanish from screen unless you're looking at them. So as you run in one direction you have to constantly be looking over your shoulder. Takes a bit of getting used to, but works really well.

As for the third person view.. I consider it metagaming. However i will use it as long as others are simply because it puts me at a disadvantage otherwise.

I say do not remove it completely, because as stated before some people are dependant on it.. just open some first-person only servers and put everyone on an even playing field.

For the love of god please don't call them 'hardcore' servers. We don't need any more pre-pubescent elitist behaviour..

Edited by Gator Biggs