Sign in to follow this  
EncryptedCode

Water Purification [MAYBE NOT SOLVED]

I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to place this thread, but it seems to be okay. (if not, please do inform me)

I have a question that I can't find much information on in DayZ wikis.

When do you need to purify water? I have a water bottle and need to know if I am going to become ill from drinking out of it or not. Are water pumps safe or do they require purification? Does every source of water need to be purified?

I would appreciate any responses! 

EDIT: Thanks for the responses guys! It appears that purification is not too important during this build.

DOUBLE EDIT: Maybe no solution...there is a bit of an argument going on as to whether you will become ill from wells or not.

Edited by EncryptedCode
  • Like 1

Its hard to tell atm because the sick notification is bugged. I'm hoping the well water is clean, otherwise I might have 285375 diseases lol

Edit: Check these threads about sickness and healing: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/157574-info-if-wounded-make-sure-to-use-those-antibiotics/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/157525-no-hungerthirst-statuses-does-not-mean-you-are-healing-heres-how-you-heal/

Edited by sess130
  • Like 1

I've drunk hundreds of times from all kinds of water sources (wells, ponds and waterbottles) with out purifying and I've been just fine. Be reassured that with later builds you will certainly be at risk of infection without purifying

• Like 2

I've drunk hundreds of times from all kinds of water sources (wells, ponds and waterbottles) with out purifying and I've been just fine. Be reassured that with later builds you will certainly be at risk of infection without purifying

The Sea? It would be totally wrong if it works, but we're in Alpha...

No all water needs purification, even the wells. every water source has a chance of getting you infected (found through in-game experience).

There is a glitch because the game does not tell you that your canteen or water bottle is purified once you've applied the tablets(ex: the items name doesn't change)

Also the game doesn't tell you when you get infected from water, but you still get infected.

So its a safe to purify all your water you get.

The Sea? It would be totally wrong if it works, but we're in Alpha...

I've never tried, I thought it was obvious that it's salt water.

No all water needs purification, even the wells. every water source has a chance of getting you infected (found through in-game experience).

There is a glitch because the game does not tell you that your canteen or water bottle is purified once you've applied the tablets(ex: the items name doesn't change)

Also the game doesn't tell you when you get infected from water, but you still get infected.

So its a safe to purify all your water you get.

I find that hard to believe. My character has drunk all kinds of unpurified water, and is not sick (7 hours alive). Even with the notifications failing I would have noticed a loss in blood/colour saturation.

• Like 1

I find that hard to believe. My character has drunk all kinds of unpurified water, and is not sick (7 hours alive). Even with the notifications failing I would have noticed a loss in blood/colour saturation.

Being sick from water doesn't kill you quickly. It just makes you unhealthy and to combat that you need to take antibiotics or eliminate it from the beginning by purifying your water. Trust me..

Being sick from water doesn't kill you quickly. It just makes you unhealthy and to combat that you need to take antibiotics or eliminate it from the beginning by purifying your water. Trust me..

but it says "healthy" in the inventory menu.......

EDIT : I'm not saying it's not gonna happen, but in the current build it's broken/not implemented

Edited by Weparo

i been drinking from and wells and bottles/canteens without getting sick. i did drink a day ago only pond water and 1-2 hours i had the sick tag on red. Dunno can be something different to everybody. 

but it says "healthy" in the inventory menu.......

EDIT : I'm not saying it's not gonna happen, but in the current build it's broken/not implemented

Its bugged bro! Trust me, iv'e literally spent hours and hours all around and testing the medical system of the Stand Alone. It takes more than just those little tabs to tell you what condition your'e character is in. That's why when your cold you can see your breath (it doesn't have a tab that says you're cold) You have to figure that out for yourself. Same thing with being mildly/barley sick. 

• Like 1

Its bugged bro! Trust me, iv'e literally spent hours and hours all around and testing the medical system of the Stand Alone. It takes more than just those little tabs to tell you what condition your'e character is in. That's why when your cold you can see your breath (it doesn't have a tab that says you're cold) You have to figure that out for yourself. Same thing with being mildly/barley sick. 

woooot? You mean to tell me them clouds go away when I dress warm? I thought they were a permanent feature of the game?!

I haven't been sick from water, the wiki and various sources say it's not in yet and if you drink from wells and canned drinks it won't be a problem even when they do add it back in. Trust me ...

woooot? You mean to tell me them clouds go away when I dress warm? I thought they were a permanent feature of the game?!

That's the current weather condition. and later when its fully implemented, yes you will have to stay warm and dry or you face the chance of catching pneumonia 

I haven't been sick from water, the wiki and various sources say it's not in yet and if you drink from wells and canned drinks it won't be a problem even when they do add it back in. Trust me ...

The Wiki is made by players. They MAY or MAY NOT have experienced it yet. I HAVE experienced it. And like I said, idk if it was intended or if it is a bug, but i have gotten sick from wells. We will all see in due time  :)

Euhm, the wells or "ponds" are safe for sure, at least for now. Every time when I start a new character i run straight to a well, drink from it about 30 times until it says my stomach is full...
Then I just have to worry about food for a wile. I repeat the process every time I'm at a well, hardly ever use my canteens. Bug or not, you DON'T have to purify water from wells in the current patch.

And like I said, idk if it was intended or if it is a bug, but i have gotten sick from wells. We will all see in due time  :)

Euhm, the wells or "ponds" are safe for sure, at least for now. Every time when I start a new character i run straight to a well, drink from it about 30 times until it says my stomach is full...

Then I just have to worry about food for a wile. I repeat the process every time I'm at a well, hardly ever use my canteens. Bug or not, you DON'T have to purify water from wells in the current patch.

Please read my comments carefully before you reply with disregard to what I've said. Thank You 

Please read my comments carefully before you reply with disregard to what I've said. Thank You 

Just stop man. I am on 11 hours drinking like a fish out of water from ponds and wells without ever using a water tablet and this is 2 of us. We drink 30 times until it says "stuffed" and have yet to lose color or become sick. My inventory screen says healthy, I am so healthy I have filled 2 blood bags and drank out of the wells/ponds to accelerate my healing without ever getting sick.

Yes it will change and be implemented, but as of now it is not working. This is a fact so stop spreading disinformation. You must of eaten spoiled food or been hit by a zombie and infected which I know works, as that will get you sick but not pond water or well water just yet. You got people telling you that you don't have to purify water yet and you keep saying you do, no you don't.

My first post wasted on a hard head.

Edited by BrainFlush

Wells do not have the intention to make players sick.

Please ensure that your sickness could not have been caused by something else at the time of you being nearby a well.

Wells are perfectly fine for drink and do not require purification tabs as you should not become sick from drinking the water.

[Multiple in-game experiences with wells]

what about you stop trolling or provide some serious sources? thank you.

so far not even one sign of any illness despite several heavy bleedings and 40+ hours of gameplay with 100% well-water. stay away from the ponds and stupid rumors and you are fine.

To all the people trying to dog on me.. READ MY FUCKING COMMENTS! I clearly say that I do not know what happened! SO EITHER LEARN TO READ or get of the forums! I hate when people just start throwing harassment's at people for no reason! 

To all the people trying to dog on me.. READ MY FUCKING COMMENTS! I clearly say that I do not know what happened! SO EITHER LEARN TO READ or get of the forums! I hate when people just start throwing harassment's at people for no reason! 

Dude, just stop. Multiple times you have said "I have gotten sick from wells, I don't know if it is a bug but I know I got sick" and we have all said multiple times not true. Not even a bug. 11 hours, can you read me? On just one survivor without getting sick from wells or ponds. Damn man. And cursing ain't helping your case. Hell, 23 hours on record and I never once got sick from a well.

Can you even prove you own it? You can click on my profile and see I own it. I really think you are trolling.

42 hours of drinking from wells and unpurified water and never gotten sick from drinking water in-game.. Only gotten sick from eating rotten fruit or getting hit by infected zombies.