Nesuma (DayZ)

Why do you "have" to feel bad for being a bandit/kos?

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

I've a question for you, players.
Why are there so many players who are upset because of banditry or kos?
I don't know it, should i feel guilty for playing this way? I just dont want to play with random folks if i can play with friends and I also LOVE it to get presents in form of the gear of another player. But I'm asking myself, am I playing this game wrong?
So many people are telling that it is not ok to play like this. I've to admit that I never, ever use my bullets in zombies. Why should I, if I've melee weapons? Ok, there was a time without melee but let's ingore it.
In my group we're shooting every person we see, just because it's fun, action, you get the gear, are safe and so on. I think that sometimes friendly playing is nice (when im playing alone I try not kill, except for example a super geared person/someone at NWAF, etc.) but all in all my main goal in DayZ is gearing up (mod: finding a car/ build up a camp) and then have some action against other persons.
But I'm still saying, that I like the system with zombies more as, for example, wasteland. The zombies add a higher amount of danger to the banditry. (ATM zombies are just ridiculous, maybe if there are more than 3 zombies per town I'll even shoot one :o)

What I'm trying to say is, that sometimes i feel like playing DayZ wrong, if people really tell me the only thing they do in Dayz is finding ammo to kill zombies to get to places to find ammo, I would say that this game sounds boring. But why are there people happy with it? For what are they having their heavy weapons? Killing more Zombies?

And don't tell me I should play a modern shooter, I'm not someone who finds his first gun and then stays in cherno to get kills.

I know that this is a really messy text, but i hope you got my point. I'm looking forward to read answers from "Heros" and "Bandits"

Edited by Nesuma
  • Like 3

The main point in Dayz is to survive, it's obvious that Dean wants it to be that way with the huge gap that's between standalone and the mod. I mean you could be a bandit but it's a lot harder to do so now, and people just don't like bandits because they always kill on sight and usually don't spare new spawns.

• Like 1

People are upset because many don't understand that the gear they just lost is just pixels on a screen.

In my group we're shooting every person we see, just because it's fun, action, you get the gear, are safe and so on. 

I'm not someone who finds his first gun and then stays in cherno to get kills.

confused.jpg

• Like 10

I agree with OP...I play this game for the intense feeling of seeing another player (Not new spawn...only armed players) and getting into a gun fight! Being a bandit is fun and without bandits this game would be pretty boring. People like that play style but a lot of others don't. Neither side should be punished, it's just how the game works! 

• Like 4

Oh thanks for those 5 links to that one Hemingway quote that I'm sure we have never heard before. I read The Most Dangerous Game and let me tell you, it's not a book that encourages the hunting of human beings. It only uses that topic to show the fundamental shift in psychology of a person who does those things, and demonstrates their loss of humanity because of it. People always take that stupid quote out of context. It doesn't justify you being a jerk. You just have to rationalize that yourself. You can't stop other people from being angry at you for ruining their experience.

In short, play the game however you want, but don't expect your victims to be happy with your decisions. That's idiotic at best, and psychopathic at worst.

Edited by SalamanderAnder
  • Like 12

Banditism is ok, but do it the right way (take someone's blood, or gear etc...)

but killing on sight is something you should do on call of duty, not on dayz, especially on fresh spawned players who can't even defend themselves

• Like 2

In my group we're shooting every person we see, just because it's fun, action, you get the gear, are safe and so on. I think that sometimes friendly playing is nice (when im playing alone I try not kill, except for example a super geared person/someone at NWAF, etc.) but all in all my main goal in DayZ is gearing up (mod: finding a car/ build up a camp) and then have some action against other persons.

I would venture to guess this is not how you're playing though. I have no issue with bandits who are having fun, holding people up, stealing their stuff, etc. However, I typically see bandits say they're "looking for action!!!" all while shooting people in the back who have no idea a bandit is even near them. That's not action. If you engage other players head on and have firefights, that's action. If you let the unarmed people go because they pose absolutely no challenge, that's banditry. If you shoot everything that moves simply to kill, you have to stop claiming you're looking for action. You're simply looking for deathmatch and should go play a PVP shooter.

• Like 7

You don't; it's a fucking game and people who bitch, cry, and moan about getting KoS'd should get over it. Granted, the amount of KoS to not KoS ratio is terribly lopsided, and 70% of the game's fun is interacting with other players in ways OTHER than firefights, it's just a video game. Don't like it? Buy something else.

• Like 5

KOS bandits are not the problem. They are a fantastic and essential part of the game. What's lacking are other viable playstyle options. That's why there need to be more options for disabling other players via non-lethal means. It simply isn't safe to approach another player at this point. Your choice is either risk all your gear or KOS. It's not a difficult decision IMO.

The handcuffs are honestly the greatest addition to DayZ SA. Add in some options to disable players from a distance (ie. tranquilizer dart + handcuffs), and you will see the amount of KOS banditry drop to appropriate levels.

That said, KOS bandits are great for the game, and that should continue to be a prevalent and viable playstyle. (A close second to the handcuffs was making gunshots to the body damage the person's gear, which provides another great incentive for "peaceful" robbery, or at least for not killing until after you've stolen all of your victim's gear).

Edited by ClassyPenguin
  • Like 4

Don't like it? Buy something else.

except that there is no other game like dayz where cod-kiddies don't come to ruin everyone else experience :/

Edited by Inexorable

You know that the way you are playing the games somethimes reflects your personality, real life personality?I think its just wrong to KoS all the time, you are not shooting all the time when you are alone probably because you feel more powerfull when you are with 3 friend that can cover your back and save your gear, that doesnt mean that you are pu**y but its posibility! I dont really care how ppl play dayz, the amount of players i killed is that big that can be easily compared with amount of kills coming from full geared groups all over the dayz comunity, but its just not right ALL THE TIME! Its just easyer, you see player, shoot him, thats it! You see player, try to talk with him, more chances to get killed and try to defend, or you can get backstabed, then you got more reasons to play next spawn so you can find him, create yourself nice gameplay, i think thats more fun than just going around and clearing towns from survivors, and above all, its much harder to try and help ppl that play dayz then just shooting them, so somethimes i understand why ppl often chose bandit and not hero! And one more thing , i respect bandits, northern bandits, not coastal bandits, half of those "bandits" cant survive more then 2h north, so they just wait on the coast for survivors with just a bandage, am just happy when i meet a group of them, seeing them raging that cheater killed them is something that makes me feel nice  :) Peace

Oh, amount of combat l. in standalone is amazing!

By the way, Tommy 290 i am with you 101%

• Like 1

except that there is no other game like dayz where cod-kiddies don't come to ruin everyone else experience :/

Don't like it?

Buy something else.

It's just because there's a lot more to DayZ than just killing everyone. What you're doing is basically playing Wasteland as an indie with your friends, except you can rest knowing most people you come across aren't as well armed.

This will be even more so when more weapons are added later along with vehicles and other big changes.

I don't mind players killing each other, I don't think anyone in this thread does, but KoS just because you can't think of anything else to do is pretty lame.

Granted this is an early stage of the standalone so there truly isn't a whole lot to do besides gear up, but I find that a lot of people are just server hopping to gear up, going to a popular spot, and killing other players.

That just goes to show people aren't here for survival, not currently, and I cant' blame them much since we don't have a lot to do, but if it follows the same route as the mod it's pathetic.

EDIT: Basically play how you want. If that means being a dick, then so be it, but don't be surprised when people call you out for being a dick.

Edited by Diggydug
  • Like 4

I feel that a boring type of bandit who will gear up and go killing within minutes without care for their own character's wellbeing is almost a form of cheating only because they have no intention of exploring the game and its full array of features.

People were moaning at how difficult it was to stay alive due to the thirst and hunger system but I say make it HARDER, this will prevent the influx of people treating it like a deathmatch on the coast if they are pre occupied in trying to stay alive rather than killing people.

I think we all agree that people killing people is a very large part of the game, but should that be the first thing on people's minds when they first spawn in? probably not...

• Like 2

Because "DayZ is the funnest game to be a dick in"

I only KOS because I'm paranoid

Edited by Frell

This is only the 8,000,000,000th KoS topic.

I do not KoS.

I RoS (run/hide on sight).

I love when some dipshit tries to take a sneaky potshot at me with an axe and then ask "friendly" after I dodge.

People who KoS and bandits are part of the game or it would/will be completely forbidden by a game mechanic (which it won't be).

People play in groups (great!).

This also changes the mentality, everyone is having pissing contests amongst themselves or vying for leadership which can lead to predatory play style to establish dominance.

I play solo and did mostly in the mod as well.

It presents a whole different set of challenges and decision making regarding survival.

I never ever get attached to gear and no one else should either at this point so if I get killed or lose my gear somehow it might knock the wind out of me a little psychologically (because now I need to round up all that stuff again) but I don't take it too personally.

Yes I do believe gameplay reflects not only personality type but dare I say maturity level too.

/insert rant - I'm in my 30's and every bandit I've encountered in the SA is some mouth breathing dick on christmas break who thinks he's the long haired leader guy from "The Purge" but actually somehow manages to come off even more vapid and moronic.

• Like 3

These topics are got old really fast and have been discussed/argued/trolled/hammered/beaten for over a YEAR.

So what is the problem exactly? Is it KOS or Bandits, because those are NOT the same thing? If it is KoS then there isn't anything going to be done about it by Rocket. Having the ability to KoS in SA adds a huge element of the unknown and tension to running into another player/s. Without that element this game becomes a running/collecting simulator. Do I condone KoS of all players all the time? No i do not. But knowing that it is possible makes me think a helluva lot more when running into a player about the possible scenario than if it wasn't or there was some indicator (bandit skin or whatever) like the beginning of the mod had.

Here is the problem as I see it currently. Not all features are even in the game yet. We, as players, do not know how increasing the zed count with new AI will affect KoS. We don't know how an adjusted loot spawn system will affect KoS. Or how the new areas being added to the north will impact the game overall. Or the medical system or the etc, etc, etc.

It is alpha folks. If you dont like the way KoS is currently in the alpha I have a couple suggestions to help you deal with it.

1. Get more than a kilometer away from the coast. For some reason the CoD kiddies have an aversion to moving that long without shooting/hitting someone.

2. By moving away from the coast realize once you pass the halfway part of the map players will generally be extremely experienced with DayZ. Avoid the airfields and mil spawn areas. Or if going there, get in and get the F-out fast. Just about every player I know that spends the majority of thier time up north assumes everyone is hostile until proven otherwise. Most players up north usually seek to avoid confrontation by being cautious, patient, and thinking ahead rathen than attacking everyone on sight. The exception is the military spawn areas like the airfields. Those are free fire zones.

3. Get some competent people to play with. 3-5 is usually an ideal group size imo. With those numbers you usually have an advantage and can take a few more chances with social interaction situations. 

• Like 4

Without bandits DayZ would be boring as s***...especially in it's current state where zombies are no threat at all

Without bandits DayZ would be DIFFRENT.

I keep reading theese threads about ppl trying to dictate how the game shoul or should not be,....ITS A OPEN ENDED GAME!

Do whatever you feel like doing,...if you want to bandit ,go right ahead,...and dont say the game is shit because ppl call u a psichopat, wich you are in the game, all bandits are, its your character , its your game personality, deal with it (not saying you are irl).

If you want to go to a house call it yours and start a family go ahead, just mind the hordes they are not safe for children.

If you want to stay on cherno and jerk off after headshoting a shirtless guy...feel somewhat free....i guess....

Some ppl enjoy creating, some enjoy destroing, some are helping chaps some are potential mass murders, we all have our way of releasing stress and having fun in a game and that its the best part of DayZ, seeing those cultures colide in a open world zombie apocalypse.

I think most of the whining come from the lack of ingenuity from all the OP's be them bandits or carebears or whatever, just use you criativity and find a way out of the situation.

• Like 3

I think you missunderstood this, we're not searching weapons at NWAF and then go back to the spawns and make a mass murder, we're driving/running around, for example from NWAF to Stary to NEAF and if we find someone...

Oh thanks for those 5 links

How did they get there, sorry :o

I would venture to guess this is not how you're playing though. I have no issue with bandits who are having fun, holding people up, stealing their stuff, etc. However, I typically see bandits say they're "looking for action!!!" all while shooting people in the back who have no idea a bandit is even near them. That's not action. If you engage other players head on and have firefights, that's action. If you let the unarmed people go because they pose absolutely no challenge, that's banditry. If you shoot everything that moves simply to kill, you have to stop claiming you're looking for action. You're simply looking for deathmatch and should go play a PVP shooter.

Well, I think it is really intenstive to sneak upon a player and wait for the perfect moment and hope that nothing happens.

And with the PVP shooter, games like cod/bf3 etc. are something extremley different (no gear and losing and these epic things). In DayZ you don't want to die, you play carefully, you CARE for yourself. Dont compare these games, dont be that guy.

You know that the way you are playing the games somethimes reflects your personality, real life personality?I think its just wrong to KoS all the time, you are not shooting all the time when you are alone probably because you feel more powerfull when you are with 3 friend that can cover your back and save your gear, that doesnt mean that you are pu**y but its posibility! I dont really care how ppl play dayz, the amount of players i killed is that big that can be easily compared with amount of kills coming from full geared groups all over the dayz comunity, but its just not right ALL THE TIME! Its just easyer, you see player, shoot him, thats it! You see player, try to talk with him, more chances to get killed and try to defend, or you can get backstabed, then you got more reasons to play next spawn so you can find him, create yourself nice gameplay, i think thats more fun than just going around and clearing towns from survivors, and above all, its much harder to try and help ppl that play dayz then just shooting them, so somethimes i understand why ppl often chose bandit and not hero! And one more thing , i respect bandits, northern bandits, not coastal bandits, half of those "bandits" cant survive more then 2h north, so they just wait on the coast for survivors with just a bandage, am just happy when i meet a group of them, seeing them raging that cheater killed them is something that makes me feel nice  :) Peace

Oh, amount of combat l. in standalone is amazing!

By the way, Tommy 290 i am with you 101%

I'd say the point is, that if you're 3 persons you just need more gear and less fellow survivors ;)

Also it is not like I've no honor, I'd never shot someone in the back who helped me. Not even if the person has a car and we need it.

Edited by Nesuma

You don't; it's a fucking game and people who bitch, cry, and moan about getting KoS'd should get over it. Granted, the amount of KoS to not KoS ratio is terribly lopsided, and 70% of the game's fun is interacting with other players in ways OTHER than firefights, it's just a video game. Don't like it? Buy something else.

buy what else? could i ask? what other game is like dayZ? we only want it to be as good as possible. we don't want it to end up as another deathmatch.

People are upset because many don't understand that the gear they just lost is just pixels on a screen.

Some people dont understand that those pixels on a screen can take up to 4 hours to find depending on what it is.

• Like 2