Mallow88

Mosin vs M4A1

Is this even up for debate ? The Mosin doesn't even make nearly enough damage to make up for the much slower firerate and magazine size. Remember the M4 can go up to 60 rounds in one mag and make use of the ACOG scope which makes long'ish-range shooting more than suitable.

Had both so far and I like the Mosin more :)

It's damn more classy to use Mosin, in post Soviet republic, then damned imperialistic M4!

Btw I can't wait once AKM/AK74 is introduced into SA...

• Like 2

I just had the chance to test out the mosin (finaly, took me 4 days to find one), so i did everything i always do when sniping, eat, drink, rest, prone and bipod, got 100% accuracy with 10 targets from 50m to 800m ,...i think ppl are forgeting to hold the right mouse button when in iron sights to hold breath and up the accuracy, because the guns are flawless so far imo.

• Like 1

Since i started Alpha i have exclusively used the mosin for its longer range combat, better accuracy and the ability to scout areas with the long range scope, and it has a nasty kick when you hit a player center mass they either die or fall down unconscious either way thier no longer a threat, The downside as highlighted is the 5 round clip and manual reload, So when your in close quarters fighting with the mosin you have to waste valuable seconds opening up your backpack to slot in those 5 shots and if your not in a good defendable position can be easily taken down while reloading, This is why i always roll with my clan mate who has a M4 to back me up if things get "cosy".

How do you deploy the bipod?

Go to your inventory and right click it while it is attached to your weapon.

It should give you the option. From there you can just leave it deployed.

• Like 1

Go to your inventory and right click it while it is attached to your weapon.

It should give you the option. From there you can just leave it deployed.

Thank you sir. 

Hey, what is the value for the standard FOV? I think I changed mine, but if it's going to cause accuracy issues, I want to change it back to the default.

Edited by Zarathustra

I does not cause accuracy issues, just messes up the mildots, if you dont know how to use them you shouldnt bother and just play with the FOV that suits you, but if you realy want to just hit the "default" button on the video options tab.

Also i finally got a scope for the mosin, tried out some extreme high range shots from 800m to 1.300m (estimated using the in game map measures in case your wondering), around 800m it was still pinpoint accurate if i take a 30 seconds break between shots, over 1000m i had to get higher ground and take some more time with the shots and the breathing mechanics. After 1.100m i could barely see my targets and had to aim way to high to be efficient in combat at all but still managed to hit 2/5  :beans:

Btw i use low mouse sensitivity, and when im in iron sights i hold alt to aim so my dude only moves the gun and not the whole body, also makes the aiming smoother.

One thing I noticed about the Mosin is that I was able to spot a couple players who were crouching with the Mosin on their backs with bayonet attached. It's like a big honkin' antenna shouting "here I am!"

Thank you sir. 

Don't leave it deployed, having it down while not prone reduces accuracy.

Yeah changin your FOV will mess up the mildots in relation to your character eyes, but not the bullet spread, maybe that is the problem most ppl have been experiencing.

Also i think your general wellfare has something to do with your performance on shooting, try going for a shooting session with your belly full and thirst completely quentched, as in eat 3 cans of beans and spam a water tap then rest a bit and try shooting, in my test i was 90% accurate on every shot i called, ranging from 50m to 600m. And yes i use modified fov, maybe 80 degrees on FOV i would guess.

Also would be nice if someone with various medical suplies did some tests as in bloodbag yourself, then shoot, then saline yourself ,then shoot, painkillers, then shoot, so on with all the subtances that are usable right now.

I am pretty sure my accuracy went to shit when i was force fed disinfectant, could not hit anythig, not even closer than 100m.

Very good point. My first tests with the M4 I wasn't aware that yo be "healthy" you had to eat and drink a lot more than just to stop your dude's whining. I will have to test this out now that I fully understand how the hunger/thirst/blood/health system works.

Here's a good link for anyone who doesn't quite understand how the status system works.

http://dayzdb.com/guide/11-standalone-status-effects

This is with a PU Scope as well. There is literally no zoom using the current PU score which I assume is because the game would have to double render like in Arma3 cause insane lag.

It only zooms 1.4x instead of 3.5x like it's supposed to.

It's not for performance reasons since ArmA 3 has the same type of 3D scopes and they zoom correctly; they just don't use picture-in-picture.

Don't leave it deployed, having it down while not prone reduces accuracy.

I dont think so, i still could hit fine crouching and pronning with the bipods deployed, maybe it not implemented yet but would make sense.

Just a few minutes ago I decided to have some target practice, as I rarely hunt players, and found a zombie 300m or so away.

Went prone. Lined up the shot. Fired.

The shot registered on the ground immediately in front of the barrel even though I was on a hill sloped down and I was aiming straight across.

Tried it again and garnered the same results.

I have a bipod on my Mosin and when I crouched instead, the shot hit exactly where I intended.

Prone may be iffy atm depending on certain situations. I'd say it's better to go crouched for now or try standing shots if prone isn't working for someone.

^-- I have this same problem often.. bloody annoying sometimes.. 

I carry both the m4 and the Mosin at the same time, I started doing this to compare the weapons and ended up not wanting to not have either one.. with the Mosin I I have perfect acc at 400 - 700 yards, never miss a shot 

anything more then 700 yards it can get alittle iffy at times, but I frequently make shots at 800-900 yards (thats alittle over a half a mile distance) I absolutely love the gun but only fire it prone with bi-pod..

some of its cons is the no mags, only loads 5 rounds, the ammo for it only stacks up to 20 max per slot in inventory. so 100 rounds takes up much more space in your inventory then it would in the m4..

the m4 has solid accuracy at a much closer range, anything up to 400 yards I can hit soundly with anything besides the stock sight, I have a bi-pod but don't honestly use it for this weapon as I tend to fire it crouched and even standing at times.. it's a full auto weapon that has up to 60 round mags and you can unleash a barrage of fire on anything close range and the spread is  reasonable for automatic firing weapon. magpul attachments give a noticeable increase in accuracy the spread is much tighter so if you want to go the marksmen route with an m4 I think it's possible with the right attachments bi-pod acog and the two MP attachments.. I think the silencer will reduce the accuracy a little  also so.... at it's best and solid zeroing your still not likely to have great acc with m4 past 600 yards.

some of the pros for this is simply once you got the right attachments it's lethal from 50-500 yards has high fire rate, 60 round mags and ammo stacks up to 30 per slot letting you carry more ammo with less space also the ammo is overly abundant. 

I honestly feel like the weapons both have real value and like I said I carry both, I use m4 in any kinda urban environment be it bases or towns/cities, while I'm moving from local to local I carry the Mosin for scoping out town and other things from a distance before I switch to the m4 to go scavenge. I carry both by putting one on my shoulder and carry the other in my hands.. there is some drawbacks to this.. mainly it's relatively slow to switch weapons two is you can't climb ladders with out setting one down.. ( I avoid ladders completely so not a big deal for me ) I been doing this for nealy 55 hours now and it's gotten easy to manage and feels like second nature.

I currently have a m4 and a mosin both the best they get attachments and condition.

cheers

Picked up my third mosin today so I finally got some time to test it out. The points are as follows. (I like both guns by the way, although I use the M4 primarily)

Ammo: Although the rounds are much more common for the mosin in game, the M4 can carry much more at a time. The mosin can fit 5 and as far as I can tell there is no way to reload 1-4 rounds into it without taking it off (so no real way to reload in combat). The M4 on the other hand can carry up to 12 times as much ammo in the gun at once, and multiple mags and make the M4 far easier to reload. Point: M4

Accuracy: Straight off the floor, the mosin wins accuracy by far. Anything 100-500 yards any player can hit 90% of the time. An experienced player could easily do 600-700, anything past that is dependent on other factors. The M4 on the other hand can shoot anything 1-300 yards with ease, and 301-500 can be pulled off by experienced players. Having said that, the M4 has much better attachments. With the ACOG I was able to pretty accurately hit 600-800 yard targets. Red dot does pretty well too, making it easier to see target,s but doesn't have quite the range. The MP attachments help out in accuracy as well. The mosin with the PU scope can hit stuff up to 1000 yards decently. Simply put, the mosin out ranges the M4, but has 0 close quarter reliability. The m4 is automatic as well, so it already has a disadvantage. Point: Mosin

Damage: Everyone is always saying how great one shot one kill mosin is. I do find it beneficial shooting players. Lots. Most of the people say its the best automatically for that, but moving targets are difficult to hit. The M4 can just spray and pray, and land 1-2 hits causing the other person to lose vision, and start shaking. If you do not stop and treat one of those hits, you will die from one bullet anyways. Stopping and treating means you killed the guy shooting you, hid, ran away long enough, or your stopping mid fight in which case you will surely die. Personally, one shot from either CAN kill, but the mosin straight up one shot kills. Point: Mosin

Player Fights: This category depends a lot on range. The mosin SHOULD do better against a player with an M4 with range, but the M4 SHOULD beat the mosin at close range. Having said that, players vary in difficulty. The mosin is better to ambush someone with, however most of the time a person getting ambushed doesn't have a weapon and isn't careful. A person with a gun will MOST LIKELY be more cautious and will spot someone waiting in ambush. Assuming both players see each other, the M4 can spray and pray, aim and move, while the mosin needs to be standing still aiming for a one shot one kill. This puts you at risk, and chances are most of the time if both players see each other within 400 yards (which is pushing it) the M4 is more versatile and will win. Point: M4

Zombie Killing: This one I have to give hands down to the M4, without too much debate. The M4 can one shot zombies anything center mass or above, and shoots faster, and can easily take down hordes. The mosin shoots one at a time, and cannot shoot through zombies (correct me if im wrong, only tested twice) and only holds 5 shots. Anything more then that and you will have to switch to melee, or reload and they will have bitten you. The M4 is quick, and takes them down before they get to you, or quick reaction if they surprise you. Point: M4

Speed: Again, not even mosin lovers can argue this point. The mosin may one shot one kill, but the M4 is fully automatic, and can empty a 60 round clip in maybe 10 seconds, where the mosin shoots 5 in 15. Point: M4

Spotting: Assuming a gun is fresh from the floor, the spotting range of both weapons is relatively even. It's based off your player's sight. With attachments, the ACOG and the PU being the most common, the mosin can out spot the M4 due to the ACOG doing only about half of what it is supposed to. Point: Mosin

Wealth: What I mean by this is how easy it is to find ammo, attachments, new parts, and the gun itself. The mosin wins ammo everyday because it spawns nearly everywhere, and the M4 is limited to military barracks. As for attachments, I have found it to be very even in my travels, and the mosin doens't have any parts to interchange. This makes the M4 a bit easier to break, but the M4 is more common by far. The mosin can be easily found however, and doesn't need extra parts, or many attachments other then one to be useful. Point: Mosin

Sound: This is difficult, because the mosin is obviously louder, but the M4 is more frequent. In my case, when I shoot a mosin from the ground floor, three zombies come running, and 1 or 2 after I shoot those three. With an M4, 1-2 will follow my initial shot, then 1-2 more after shooting those. It's about even if you end up shooting the zombies with the same gun each time, so it all comes down to player sounds. The M4 may be more frequent and eventually lead a bandit to you, but if you shoot one, MAYBE two shots a player may be distracted and not hear it. With the mosin, everyone nearby WILL hear it and as many people say "rings the dinnerbell" Point: M4

Overall Score: M4 Wins!

M4: Sound, Speed, Zombie killing, Player fights, and Ammo. (5)

Mosin: Wealth, Spotting, Damage, and Accuracy. (4)

As I said before I enjoy both guns, but by a small margin, the M4 just does more for me. I hope I remained neutral enough to not offend mosin lovers. They do have the element of surprise, but it does suck at shooting moving targets that aren't running for you or being predictable so don't tell me you will snipe me before I see you. Anyways, I enjoy both guns and look forward to them adding more primary weapons then just these two. 

• Like 6

I've found the accuracy of the mosin to be great. Whether you can 1-shot people depends on what they are wearing, and where you hit them, of course. I haven't used the M4 for long range engagements but in close encounters its for sure the superior weapon. 

What's the button for changing fire mode on the M4 from full to semi? I can't find the keybind in the menus...

I don't know what you guys are smokin, but the M4 even without ACOG is damn accurate. I hit running targets on the reg from 200-300 meters standing without optics (pristine parts). Anyone telling you different is lying, butthurt or a poor shot. Are you guys playing in 1080p or much lower res? that could be a factor.

This is an amusing post.  Bud, you're either full of it, or you are GROSSLY bad at ranging.

At 400 meters (objectively confirmed) with a Mosin and a PU scope, the enemies are little more than half-a-dozen pixels on the screen.  The PU scope has 1.35 magnification currently (which is apparently a bug, because it's supposed to be 3.5x), so it's only slightly better than ironsights.

And you're claiming you're a deadshot on strafing targets at 300 meters, with iron-sights?

Regardless of the m4's accuracy right now, you obviously don't know what 300 meters actually looks like.  With no magnification at all, you'd be trying to hit a speck of pixels that might not even be bigger than your crosshair.

Edited by cogwheel

For those wondering about bayonet attacks, it's currently not implemented.  No point in putting one on your rifle for other than looks right now.

And it makes the Mossin about 10 feet long.... I took mine off simply because I didn't want my weapon clipping through walls and giving away my position.

Mossin will definitely kill with 1 shot to the head.  If they're wearing any sort of helmet, you MUST shoot them in the face for it to be one shot.  Otherwise you will basically destroy their helmet and damage them badly, but they won't die.

I can't confirm nor deny the one shot to body kill.  If I had to guess, it's probably 1 shot if the player has absolutely no body equipment at all (vests, jackets, hoodies), and probably 2 shots with.

I can't confirm nor deny the one shot to body kill.  If I had to guess, it's probably 1 shot if the player has absolutely no body equipment at all (vests, jackets, hoodies), and probably 2 shots with.

i shot a LOT of players with my mosin. just a few non-headshots were 1-shot-kills.

my last battle (okay, ambush :P) was yesterday. he had a raincoat, an assault vest and a mountain backpack. i was like 6m away and needed 3 hits in the chestarea to kill him.

maybe there are more demage-zones than just head and rest of the body? or maybe items/gear actually protect you from some demage?

dean are you reading this? I REALLY WANT TO KNOW.

Edited by drunkenteddybear

Shot a guy with my m4 at 400 meters from the Berezino construction site. Was pretty accurate tbh. Deployed bipod, acog, and fully pristine magpull grip and stock.

I took a Mosin hit to the shoulders from his friend and survived.

Edited by Ratiasu

After some testing vs zeds using the acog's built in rangerfinder, I will confirm that the M4 w/ acog+ bipod+ PRONE+ MP grip/stock is pretty damned accurate. Without those exact conditions, it is still hit or miss (see what I did there) on whether you will strike your target at range. It still needs to have the dispersion lowered a good bit, cause when I'm hitting to the left/right of a stationary target at less than 100m, fully rested and zeroed to 100m something is wrong.