-Gews-

Correcting SA ballistics

Glad to see they took your work and changed the values in-game. I am not really sure why people are arguing in favor of poor ballistic properties. Maybe the fact that Rocket and the team incorporated your values into the game will shut them up :D

I don't think you've understood the topic. One's level of training has nothing to do with a projectile's muzzle velocity or its behaviour while in flight.

^ This.

And as trigger control isn't modelled, hitting what you aim at is down to the player being able to estimate range, zero/hold off as required and get the correct sight picture before left-clicking.

• Like 1

Many Beanz for you Gews. Thanks for all your hard work and insight on realistic ballistics. I think just knowing the ballistics are more true to life IMPROVES the state of the game and greatly increases immersion, especially if you are familiar with the RL counters of the weapons.

http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/02/next-weeks-dayz-patch-will-bring-cowboy-hats-leather-jackets-and-the-ruger-1022/

Direct your attention to the final line of the change log. Obviously realism is what the developers have in mind.

Thanks again man for all your research and devotion to improving the over-all experience of the game.

Wow that is the fucking tits.  Again gews you are my hero and the only brony I can stand 

This is where your logic train fails. Changing the velocity of the round changes the weapon characteristic called velocity :P

Ones level of training has a lot to do with how the weapon behaves. For instance im still trying to break the habbit of pulling left with my pistol while I pull the trigger.

Still, that's the operators error. You pulling left doesn't affect the accuracy of the gun, it affects your ability to utilize the weapons base accuracy. And to your post about realism, yes being too realistic is risky, but just because some obvious and impractical things are not realistic doesn't mean you make the guns stupidly inaccurate.

Nice to see you getting some deserved recognition, Gews. :) 

One simply can not disagree with the OP, lest they want to be forever in CoD hell where thousands of CoD kiddies forever will scream BALAAANCE into your ears.

I would like to see very realistic ballistic profiles for all DayZ weapons. I did two 6 month tours in Iraq as an Infantryman.

And did you brought them some "democracy"?

Btw the ballistic needs a tweak indeed, he's right.

Edited by Joker83

Hey Gews,

May I ask where/how you got al this real life ballistics information? Did you do tests/ look it up?

I really want to know more about this.

This thread screams "Hey! Let's concentrate on making "Kill on sight" easier before you concentrate on zombies glitching through complete buildings!"

Edited by Napalm Dog

This thread screams "Hey! Let's concentrate on making "Kill on sight" easier before you concentrate on zombies glitching through complete buildings!"

How so ?

• Like 1

I just want my bullets to go where I aim them. I've been shooting at zombies less than 50 meters away and standing completely still on a roof and watched the bullets fly everywhere. 

You know - everyone who has ever shot a gun, and before guns were invented anyone who ever loosed an arrow, and before bows anyone who ever threw a rock.. has wanted just exactly the same thing. "I just want it to go where I aim it"

In the real world they have whole competitions where people try to get their bullets to go where they aim them. Designers spend years working on guns that will do that. Shooters spend years training to do that.

Get to know your gun and find out what it will really do and what it won't do. That little dot in the middle of your screen doesn't have a lot to do with anything... hehe. If you can't land a headshot, aim for the top of the chest and shoot 3 times. That works.

If I have an M4A1 I always set the sights down to 50. Most sudden contacts come well inside that range, and at a longer distance I'm better having the sights set a way I know, than changing them. This is an assault rifle: (for towns or forests, heavy mixed cover, fast action, interdiction) so to me 100+ is 'long range'. In a firefight I give a running player a short burst at 100+ (say 2 bursts of 2 or 3) I might hit him, but firstly I'm messing with his head, he's under fire, he zags, he changes his plan, he can't think straight. When you get a player who acts exactly as though he was expecting the fire, then you get that COLD feeling, because he's smart and there is going to be a real fight.

Hey, I'm just wating for cooking fires and fishing rods to come back in the game, so I can go away to a quiet place, ya know? I'm mainly easy-going. This is just to say that 'shooting to hit' is only part of what you do with a weapon. Maybe that sounds crazy, but an assault rifle is not designed for 1 shot kill, it's designed for "assault" and "defense" Heheh - It's "psychological player interaction" is what it is.

Also - EVERYBODY thinks they are a better shot than they really are, so don't worry about it. But don't have fantasies in the showdown.

- Good work Gews  - in a game there is also dispersion to think about, to imitate (with so many reasons for why does it happen?) and travel time to target. Slower speeds means more misses for a lot of players, maybe Bohemia made it a little easier on them?

- Aussie Bogan, first 5 times I saw your video signature, I laughed more each time. That's how it is, bro!

[and, oh yeah, bring BACK keyeboard only Sidechan, so everyone can see the psychology, and for contacts, medics, lols]

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim

You know - everyone who has ever shot a gun, and before guns were invented anyone who ever loosed an arrow, and before bows anyone who ever threw a rock.. has wanted just exactly the same thing. "I just want it to go where I aim it"

In the real world they have whole competitions where people try to get their bullets to go where they aim them. Designers spend years working on guns that will do that. Shooters spend years training to do that.

Get to know your gun and find out what it will really do and what it won't do. That little dot in the middle of your screen doesn't have a lot to do with anything... hehe. If you can't land a headshot, aim for the top of the chest and shoot 3 times. That works.

If I have an M4A1 I always set the sights down to 50. Most sudden contacts come well inside that range, and at a longer distance I'm better having the sights set a way I know, than changing them. This is an assault rifle: (for towns or forests, heavy mixed cover, fast action, interdiction) so to me 100+ is 'long range'. In a firefight I give a running player a short burst at 100+ (say 2 bursts of 2 or 3) I might hit him, but firstly I'm messing with his head, he's under fire, he zags, he changes his plan, he can't think straight. When you get a player who acts exactly as though he was expecting the fire, then you get that COLD feeling, because he's smart and there is going to be a real fight.

Hey, I'm just wating for cooking fires and fishing rods to come back in the game, so I can go away to a quiet place, ya know? I'm mainly easy-going. This is just to say that 'shooting to hit' is only part of what you do with a weapon. Maybe that sounds crazy, but an assault rifle is not designed for 1 shot kill, it's designed for "assault" and "defense" Heheh - It's "psychological player interaction" is what it is.

Also - EVERYBODY thinks they are a better shot than they really are, so don't worry about it. But don't have fantasies in the showdown.

- Good work Gews  - in a game there is also dispersion to think about, to imitate (with so many reasons for why does it happen?) and travel time to target. Slower speeds means more misses for a lot of players, maybe Bohemia made it a little easier on them?

- Aussie Bogan, first 5 times I saw your video signature, I laughed more each time. That's how it is, bro!

[and, oh yeah, bring BACK keyeboard only Sidechan, so everyone can see the psychology, and for contacts, medics, lols]

xx pilgrim

This isn't even about accuracy...

Unless, they wanted it that way, to make it seem like we are civilians and not trained soldier. However we can only speculate.

Watch out I see the 12 gauge getting nerfed LOL

Hate these comments. Rocket himself said this game will be based on player skill not character skill.

Weapon dispersion is clearly a character skill issue being that we are fresh off the beach no idea about anything noobs. That or ballistics are straight up broken.

If he wants to add some type of dispersion then it needs to be something we can account for. Such as weapon sway/twitching/breathing/etc.

Just let the F*ing gun sway and wobble in my hands for crying out loud is it that hard or do we really have to dumb this game down to a COD shooter which atm it is. All luck no skillz. Then add on top of that. Out right wrong ballistics. Welcome to CoDayZ..

Edited by RyBo

I just wanted to say, you actually got them to implement one of your ideas into the game.

That is a first i have ever seen on any game or company and i think it's awesome and hats off to you.

• Like 1

Why is ArmA's ballistics so off? I mean its considered a military simulator they wouldn't haphazardly add false values for muzzle velocites and whatnot would they? I'm sure there must be some reason maybe for scaling or something I wouldn't know but I don't think its safe to assume 100m in virtual Chernarus is a 100m in real Chernarus.

• Like 1

Not sure if its been mentioned or not, but does anyone know if there is going to be any attention paid to the change in ballistics when a suppresor is added? (Increased muzzle velocity) In almost all video games they just gloss over it, or assume that somehow magically you'll be firing sub-sonic ammo through it and actually LOWER the velocity! ..ugh. I'd like it to overall increase velocity in proportion to the extended barrel length (as in real life). Then on-top of that have 2 separate types of ammunition for each non-magnum, and maybe 7.62x51/54. Not sure if they make subsonic 762x39 ammo, probably though. But basically have 5.56 Sub-sonic  and regular ammo in the loot tables each with different velocities and therefore include a sonic-crack or not. That would be really cool. So if you're firing a long range shot you can attach your suppressor, fire regular ammo out of it - have that audible sonic crack but get that extra high velocity so you can kill that guy on the other hill 500m away. Naturally you'll need scope presets to accomplish this (compensate for the change impact position when changing velocities) but again, that can't be too hard to add in if they're able to zero the damn things already.

I think just adding all those details in like they are in real life wouldnt be very easy and would give you many more options as the TYPE of shot you'd like to make, instead of just omg shoot! Maybe think about the configuration of your gun's accesorries and ammo based on the type of shot you're wanting to make, setup an ambush and think more tacitcally about killing someone as opposed to just CoD style 'SHOOT HIM!!!'

Edited by Tapeworms

Velocity increases from supressors are massively over-rated. At best you get 1-3% gains, which can be less than the natural variance in velocities of each round. The gains are so tiny because the majority of the propellant's post-muzzle energy is being absorbed by the supressor instead of acting on the bullet. They are also extremely precisely machined objects, any kind of damage is going to disrupt the baffles and your ballistics are going to turn to absolute shit, if not jam rounds in the supressor.

Not going to ask as to why I know this , but Gews must have a doctor's degree in advanced ballistics, possibly working for a large corporation that no one knows excist ( there are alot of these. ), which happen to be tasked with research into - not fire arms, but the projectiles that they use!

Totally random assumption based on nothing but my own imagination. 

To get to the point:  Gews needs to keep on working! It's behond fascinating to read, even though I do not understand a tenth of it.  And the developers are reading too! x)

Thank you so much for sharing your insights, I found it quite fascinating to read and do further wikipedia research!