Gingerizhere

Why do we already have so many 24/7 daylight servers?

We are less than a week in to the SA, and it seems like more than half of the servers start with "24/7 daylight". I understand that many people want daylight and not night all the time due to their work hours, but can't you just find a server with a timezone that suits you? I thought the point of the SA was to make it more challenging and overall make you feel more like you are in a actual zombie apocalypse (correct me if I am wrong). 

I know I am probably the minority here, but why is this? 

Edit: it also seems as if server admins are having trouble with setting it to a timezone of their choosing because that feature is a little wonky at the moment, but nonetheless, question still stands.

Edited by Gingerizhere
  • Like 12

We are less than a week in to the SA, and it seems like more than half of the servers start with "24/7 daylight". I understand that many people want daylight and not night all the time due to their work hours, but can't you just find a server with a timezone that suits you? I thought the point of the SA was to make it more challenging and overall make you feel more like you are in a actual zombie apocalypse (correct me if I am wrong). 

I agree, it's the damned servers from the mod all over again!

• Like 5

It's most likely a response to the fact that just a day or so ago almost every server available was night time. This game is pretty damn difficult to play and enjoy when night falls. However, I do agree that 24/7 daylight servers shouldn't even be a thing.

• Like 1

Well I would say you certainly arent the minority here. But unfortunately rocket and team probably had to give a bit on this cause there were a lot of complaints on it. Now I actually like it, I say it all the time, but its alpha not really meant to be played like the final game. I like being able to run around all the time, because at this point Im just testing. Once the game actually releases, ill find whatever server isnt 24/7 thats for sure cause I actually like playing at night.  

people would play night if you could see shit without screwing with gamma.

full moon nights in my experience give an eerie but clearly visible view of countryside.

can play on night, don't want to play on night.

I hope they can crack down on this sort of thing. at least on servers connected to the 'main hive'

• Like 2

why are there servers setup that arent exactly like how i want everyone else to play dayz ???

why why why...

see what i did there???

/facepalm..

• Like 2

I hope they can crack down on this sort of thing. at least on servers connected to the 'main hive'

I like this idea personally, just keep public hive servers on some sort of timezone, and private hive servers can do whatever they please. Obviously private hives don't exist yet, but maybe in time. 

And also, not everyone turns up the gamma, some people enjoy the night, so instead of giving your playerbase (if you are a server admin) one option, why not give them both? Then you get everyone to come in and play and enjoy themselves.

why are there servers setup that arent exactly like how i want everyone else to play dayz ???

why why why...

see what i did there???

/facepalm..

I knew I would get a good response on the DayZ forums.

There's nothing I like more than playing til the sun goes down or heading out into the world at dawn, the idea of playing on a server where this isn't a feature holds no interest for me, it's not even a case of not being able to find a daylight server when it's dark in your locale, I've managed it numerous times and had no ill effects, and have pretty much no issues with a ping around 120-150 when my local servers are all 25-50. But then I'm not going out to kill people 99% of the time and I'd bet that people who want 24/7 daylight are the more PVP oriented players. Although I'll probably get mildly flamed for that comment. Meh.

• Like 3

Cause night time sucks in this game, every one turns up the gamma so what is the point of having it?

Why even play a game that is just a bit difficult in the first place?

• Like 2

I agree, fucking daylight servers are pathetic. I didn't have trouble finding a daytime one before they came out anyway, but this is just the first step to "MAXIMUM LOOT OMFG HELO SPAWN WITH M4 + ALL ATTACHMENTS PVP SERVER!!!!!!"

And then there will be no more vanilla SA servers. #gameisfucked

• Like 6

Cause night time sucks in this game, every one turns up the gamma so what is the point of having it?

Have to agree, if nights looked like this I'm sure you would find a lot more people wanting to play on them.

mBziYT5h.jpg

• Like 13

The main problem right now as I see it is that the lighting options in the game are anemic and ridiculous. 

Flashlights are awful. It's like looking through a gun scope. There's no ambient reflection whatsoever which makes hunting around in close quarters with a flashlight incredibly unrealistic, annoying and downright stupid. Not to mention the fact that right now flashlights penetrate solid walls and bleed out into the surroundings announcing your presence to everyone within a 5km radius when you turn one on.

Further, I should be able to hold a flashlight in one hand and a baseball bat or similar implement in the other so I'm not completely defenseless while exploring at night.

Make flashlights work like real flashlights and add two hands to the game and I think a lot more people would tolerate the darkness.

As it stands, it's no wonder people are making daylight servers. Why? Because it makes the game playable and fun, and that's what people want, Alpha or not.

• Like 3

Because some people want to play daylight 24/7... Who cares how they want to play?

That is a totally hypocritical statement, you could say the same thing for players who DON'T want 24/7 daylight.

Have to agree, if nights looked like this I'm sure you would find a lot more people wanting to play on them.

I really wish people would stop spreading that screenshot like an STD. That's not what night looks like to humans.

• Like 6

Indeed. The fix is not to take away night time. It's a critical aspect of the game experience. The real solution is 1: to condense the day/night cycle, and 2: make night time playable and actually somewhat pleasing to the eye. I get that it's supposed to be realistic, but it's obvious that nobody is going to play a video game when it's pitch black.

I really wish people would stop spreading that screenshot like an STD. That's not what night looks like to humans.

Looks pretty accurate to me. Are you not human or have you just never gone outside at night? Because I can see colors at night just fine.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

Well I would say you certainly arent the minority here. But unfortunately rocket and team probably had to give a bit on this cause there were a lot of complaints on it.

the problem is rocket gives an inch and everyone takes a yard and night time becomes a thing of the past,

I Think to many people are not interested in playing the game the real way they take the easy way out and use all day servers

Looks pretty accurate to me. Are you not human or have you just never gone outside at night? Because I can see colors at night just fine.

Human eyes do not perceive color like that in low light situations. It looks realistic to you because when you're outside in the middle of night you're probably often around artificial lights which make it possible to see color again.

If you go stand in the middle of a field on a dark night, you will not see color like this. You will see in black and white. That's how human eyes work.

• Like 3

Because some people want to play daylight 24/7... Who cares how they want to play?

it defeats the purpose of the game, it is supposed to be a challenging apocalypse survival game, If they can't take it log off. don't pollute the game and take it away form how it was ment to be played

Further, I should be able to hold a flashlight in one hand and a baseball bat or similar implement in the other so I'm not completely defenseless while exploring at night.

well 'irl' you're not gonna be too effective trying to hit someone with a baseball bat you're holding in one hand (at least not nearly as effective as holding it with two hands). might as well cut to the chase and let us use the flashlight as a melee weapon

I agree the flashlight needs lots of work in general

I agree, it's the damned servers from the mod all over again!

It's most likely a response to the fact that just a day or so ago almost every server available was night time. This game is pretty damn difficult to play and enjoy when night falls. However, I do agree that 24/7 daylight servers shouldn't even be a thing.

Where is the problem? Are them forcing you to play them? Perhaps it´s anything i can´t understand, please, can you tell why we must to remove them?

As a night user after work and family is done i must play into one of that servers. As there is no information about the time into the connect screen, if i can´t see anything as 24/7 or ALLDAY in the server´s name i must to go into one after one to play daylight..... if you want to limit the existence of that servers (today i cannot understand why) you must give as a solution in order to play without  spend 30 min login one after one.

Excuse my poor english, i hope you understand me.....

well 'irl' you're not gonna be too effective trying to hit someone with a baseball bat you're holding in one hand (at least not nearly as effective as holding it with two hands). might as well cut to the chase and let us use the flashlight as a melee weapon

I agree the flashlight needs lots of work in general

Well, obviously a 1-handed melee strike would do less damage, but if you really want to argue about the effectiveness of a one-handed baseball bat strike then I humbly offer to conduct a series of independent trials on your face to see how it holds up. What do you say?   :)

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby