Gingerizhere

Why do we already have so many 24/7 daylight servers?

Human eyes do not perceive color like that in low light situations. It looks realistic to you because when you're outside in the middle of night you're probably often around artificial lights which make it possible to see color again.

If you go stand in the middle of a field on a dark night, you will not see color like this. You will see in black and white. That's how human eyes work.

... It's a game, dude. The point is we have a dichotomy here. Either a: you make night pitch black. Since flashlights don't work very well and beam right through buildings, nobody is going to play the game this way. b: make it black and white. Well great, realism, but then people just jack up gamma and brightness to have night vision, which isn't very realistic at all anyway. c: make night time bearable to some extent and at least somewhat pretty. The bottom line is that the developers have to draw a compromise between realism and basic playability. If night is impossible to play, then nobody will play at night. I for one would not mind playing at night if it at least had some level of visibility, and also if flashlights had shadows and ambient reflective light.

A simple solution to the gamma problem is to only render light for a very minimal distance around you during the dark. Anything further away than 50- 100 m should be totally pitch. There has to be a way to achieve this effect.

And for the record, the human eye does perceive color in darkness. It just perceives different colors. If you would have read the article you posted, you would see that is true.

"In the human eye cone cells are nonfunctional in low light – scotopic vision is produced exclusively through rod cells which are most sensitive to wavelengths of light around 498 nm (green-blue) and are insensitive to wavelengths longer than about 640 nm (red)."

You still see color. You just see more blue and green rather than red and orange.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

full moon nights in my experience give an eerie but clearly visible view of countryside.

Dont quote me on this but.....I'm pretty sure there are more days without a full-ish moon....than without a full-ish moon.

Where is the problem? Are them forcing you to play them? Perhaps it´s anything i can´t understand, please, can you tell why we must to remove them?

As a night user after work and family is done i must play into one of that servers. As there is no information about the time into the connect screen, if i can´t see anything as 24/7 or ALLDAY in the server´s name i must to go into one after one to play daylight..... if you want to limit the existence of that servers (today i cannot understand why) you must give as a solution in order to play without  spend 30 min login one after one.

Excuse my poor english, i hope you understand me.....

I understood you loud and clear bud  :) , I never meant to remove all of them, I merely don't understand why so many of them do exist and why so many more of them are being made. And, like I said in my original post, if you have strange work hours, why not just find a server with your needed timezone? I think it is a problem because I do not believe this is the way game should be played (keep in mind, this is an opinion and we are all entitled to them).

We are less than a week in to the SA, and it seems like more than half of the servers start with "24/7 daylight". I understand that many people want daylight and not night all the time due to their work hours, but can't you just find a server with a timezone that suits you? I thought the point of the SA was to make it more challenging and overall make you feel more like you are in a actual zombie apocalypse (correct me if I am wrong). 

I know I am probably the minority here, but why is this? 

I only scavenge for loot and kill zombies in the day time. When it's night, I rest.

Edit: Quote fail

Edited by Jumbaliah

Well, obviously a 1-handed melee strike would do less damage, but if you really want to argue about the effectiveness of a one-handed baseball bat strike then I humbly offer to conduct a series of independent trials on your face to see how it holds up. What do you say?   :)

it would probably improve my looks :)

I will say that I think one of the main reasons they have the headlamp is in the game is to accommodate having both hands free while using a light. seems to make sense, from a 'balancing' (I know that's a bad word around here) perspective, that the handheld flashlight provide less function

... It's a game, dude

aren't there plenty of games with unrealistically lit up nights though? why can't we want something more realistic in this 'game'

"Irl", I can choose when I want to be active and roam the world. Let me make my own decisions. 

aren't there plenty of games with unrealistically lit up nights though? why can't we want something more realistic in this 'game'

We can. I'm only saying that at some point, realism is kind of bogus. In real life, your eyes automatically adjust to varying light levels. In real life, you can touch the environment. In real life, even sighted people have limited echolocation abilities. In real life, you can smell odors. You simply can't simulate that kind of "feel" for your surroundings in a game, which only gives us 2 ways of perceiving the environment - sight and sound. There has to be a balance.

Edited by SalamanderAnder
  • Like 1

... It's a game, dude.

That's an awfully slippery slope argument when it comes to DayZ I'm afraid. It's a game whose primary goal is to put players in somewhat realistically uncomfortable situations. Lighting up the night like a Spanish carnival (as in that screenshot that is making the rounds like an 18-year-old call girl) is not in the spirit of the title.

That's an awfully slippery slope argument when it comes to DayZ I'm afraid. It's a game whose primary goal is to put players in somewhat realistically uncomfortable situations. Lighting up the night like a Spanish carnival (as in that screenshot that is making the rounds like an 18-year-old call girl) is not in the spirit of the title.

I'm afraid that realism has never been the name of the game. It's supposed to be authentic. Authentically, I can navigate myself in a dark night. Also, you have to take playability into account. Again, you cannot simulate every aspect of realism. There is a compromise. Zombies aren't real either. Nor would you kill on sight any human being you saw in the apocalypse. How is that realistic, exactly?

I like night time.

You know what I don't like?

NIGHT TIME ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

Jesus H Christ.

I live in Australia, and every. single. last. fucking. server. I try to play on has a sunrise at THREE AM.

By the afternoon, it's COMPLETE DARKNESS. And I don't mean 'oh it's kind of dark', I mean 'Turn gamma and brightness to full and everything is still a fucking silhouette'.

It is literally impossible to see anything. I could be three feet away from a zombie and not see them. If I wanted to melee a zombie, I had to stand on a hillside and hope it was outlined against the night sky.

And shit only becomes actually visible after midnight.

So fuck it. I'll play on 24/7 daylight servers. I don't like it. But hey, I'll actually get to SEE the fucking sun for once. Instead of a perpetually pitch-black darkness that seems to never fucking end.

If we actually had servers that were, you know, maybe set to the same time as it is over here in Australia, then maybe I'd have a problem with 24/7 daylight servers.

This is an alpha. We're supposed to provide feedback.

Well here's the feedback:

Night time is fucking garbage.

Pitch black fucking nighttime for every single hour of prime gaming time (IE, any hour of the afternoon!) makes the game unplayable.

When you are reduced to standing in a building and literally moving to each corner of it with your tab window up just to see if anything is in there, it is NOT fun.

But oh, let me turn on my completely inneffective flashlight and beam the light through the walls!

If I wanted to stumble around in the dark I'd turn all the lights off and do it in real life.

• Like 2

We are less than a week in to the SA, and it seems like more than half of the servers start with "24/7 daylight". I understand that many people want daylight and not night all the time due to their work hours, but can't you just find a server with a timezone that suits you? I thought the point of the SA was to make it more challenging and overall make you feel more like you are in a actual zombie apocalypse (correct me if I am wrong). 

I know I am probably the minority here, but why is this? 

thats why i think there would be shorter day nigth cycles.

• Like 1

We can. I'm only saying that at some point, realism is kind of bogus. In real life, your eyes automatically adjust to varying light levels. In real life, you can touch the environment. In real life, even sighted people have limited echolocation abilities. In real life, you can smell odors. You simply can't simulate that kind of "feel" for your surroundings in a game, which only gives us 2 ways of perceiving the environment - sight and sound. There has to be a balance.

I guess that's why rocket likes to use the word "authentic" and not "realistic". I think we can still strive for more realism

I'd like to see the nights look more like Arma 3, but i think much of that has to do with dx11

Easy solution - make this part of the game unrealistic by making a day night cycle quicker ie. Daytime 1.5 hrs/ Nighttime 30mins .

I personally would love to see the day and night cycle more frequently, it would make light sources more useful and give you more of a reason to hang on to them.

I like night time.

You know what I don't like?

NIGHT TIME ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

Jesus H Christ.

I live in Australia, and every. single. last. fucking. server. I try to play on has a sunrise at THREE AM.

By the afternoon, it's COMPLETE DARKNESS. And I don't mean 'oh it's kind of dark', I mean 'Turn gamma and brightness to full and everything is still a fucking silhouette'.

It is literally impossible to see anything. I could be three feet away from a zombie and not see them. If I wanted to melee a zombie, I had to stand on a hillside and hope it was outlined against the night sky.

And shit only becomes actually visible after midnight.

So fuck it. I'll play on 24/7 daylight servers. I don't like it. But hey, I'll actually get to SEE the fucking sun for once. Instead of a perpetually pitch-black darkness that seems to never fucking end.

If we actually had servers that were, you know, maybe set to the same time as it is over here in Australia, then maybe I'd have a problem with 24/7 daylight servers.

This is an alpha. We're supposed to provide feedback.

Well here's the feedback:

Night time is fucking garbage.

Pitch black fucking nighttime for every single hour of prime gaming time (IE, any hour of the afternoon!) makes the game unplayable.

When you are reduced to standing in a building and literally moving to each corner of it with your tab window up just to see if anything is in there, it is NOT fun.

But oh, let me turn on my completely inneffective flashlight and beam the light through the walls!

If I wanted to stumble around in the dark I'd turn all the lights off and do it in real life.

Again, why I said, to try and find a server with a time zone of your choosing.

The problem I have with night servers is that the pitch black portion of the night always seems to last forever.  I never really see the moon giving off light.  The night's are beatutiful when it's low light but the pitch black portion is just tiring on the eyes.

The other thing is the flashlight, there's just something with the way it behaves that Seems off and nooying to deal with (probably the refraction)  if they geave it a bit more radial glow around the payer then I't be easier to deal with even the pitch black night (I'm ignoring the light through walls thing as I'm really hoping that's a bug that will get fixed).

Stop complaining if you want night join a 24/7 night server :/

You always have a choice.

Have to agree, if nights looked like this I'm sure you would find a lot more people wanting to play on them.

mBziYT5h.jpg

i agree with u, the nigth is boring as it is, for 2 reasons its too long and dont have not even a litle bit of color 

the picture is good but it should be darker.

I agree, fucking daylight servers are pathetic. I didn't have trouble finding a daytime one before they came out anyway, but this is just the first step to "MAXIMUM LOOT OMFG HELO SPAWN WITH M4 + ALL ATTACHMENTS PVP SERVER!!!!!!"

And then there will be no more vanilla SA servers. #gameisfucked

Yep. It WILL be like the mod all over again. I'm guessing by the time full game is released, it will already be hard to find a vanilla server.

i agree with u, the nigth is boring as it is, for 2 reasons its too long and dont have not even a litle bit of color 

the picture is good but it should be darker.

How did you get the night to look so colorful?

Yep. It WILL be like the mod all over again. I'm guessing by the time full game is released, it will already be hard to find a vanilla server.

Then spend your own money and make your own vanilla server then.

Like always you have a choice.

Then spend your own money and make your own vanilla server then.

Like always you have a choice.

Ah yes, this argument again. This is not an ARMA mod anymore, there is no reason to let people turn this game into something entirely different. Sometimes I wonder why they even bother when the moment they allow modding most of the new ideas such as different blood types will be disabled anyway.

• Like 3

It's most likely a response to the fact that just a day or so ago almost every server available was night time. This game is pretty damn difficult to play and enjoy when night falls. However, I do agree that 24/7 daylight servers shouldn't even be a thing.

I enjoy this game even more at night than I do during the day. Or rather let me rephrase that. It's far more intense at night digging around for goodies trying to use the flashlight sparingly.