Gingerizhere

Why do we already have so many 24/7 daylight servers?

i agree with u, the nigth is boring as it is, for 2 reasons its too long and dont have not even a litle bit of color 

the picture is good but it should be darker.

How....how did you get that much light? It's always super dark and never looks like this for me.

Oh never mind. Photo shopped.

Edited by Azurestorms

I understood you loud and clear bud  :) , I never meant to remove all of them, I merely don't understand why so many of them do exist and why so many more of them are being made. And, like I said in my original post, if you have strange work hours, why not just find a server with your needed timezone? I think it is a problem because I do not believe this is the way game should be played (keep in mind, this is an opinion and we are all entitled to them).

I think the reason its such a slippery slope like with all the servers on the mod. If one server adds 1000 start with dmr etc cars. People will gravitate towards that (for some odd reason), so the other servers realize in order to maintain popularity they have to appease the crowd that wants it easy, plus they make a good amount of money for adding benefits to donors. I think its probably the same with 24/7 day servers in the SA.

That being said I like playing at night, but I waffle between keeping it pitch black and changing up the night a bit. I understand realism, but I have trouble understanding the need to defend pitch black nights. I like a challenge, and I dont like video games to hold my hand, but I can certainly see better than my character can at night. Maybe I just ate more carrots than him in my lifetime lol. 

LOL.... Dear SA staff:

If you give us all nighttime servers, we will complain about not having daylight servers.

Then we will bitch about too many daylight servers.

Good luck

We are less than a week in to the SA, and it seems like more than half of the servers start with "24/7 daylight". I understand that many people want daylight and not night all the time due to their work hours, but can't you just find a server with a timezone that suits you? I thought the point of the SA was to make it more challenging and overall make you feel more like you are in a actual zombie apocalypse (correct me if I am wrong). 

I know I am probably the minority here, but why is this? 

I agree. For me, 24/7 daytime servers are the cancer of DayZ.

I'm not sure why people complain about colors at night. I can see them pretty well.

Sadly, I guess most people just turn gamma up to max and that's why they can't see them. Because when I'm using flashlight / headtorch it's all nice and good. Even when it's pitch black you can put lit flashlight on the ground and then fight the zombie, or if you've got headtorch, which I believe is pretty common, it's even easier.

In my opinion, 24/7 day servers shouldn't exist, or if they HAVE to be included in DayZ I'm hoping that they'll be on separate easy-mode character database, which would have nametags, spawn with map, GPS, fully loaded M4 and no PvP at all.

Also, about that pic that was posted here earlier, which shows colors at night and stuff.

Not sure about you guys, but I can't see colors that well at night, even with full moon and artificial light from nearby lamps.

Color under lamps would be more yellowish and if you actually stood under one, you'd see only in close area where the light from lamp reaches, and everything further away would be pitch black, you'd not even see stars.

83aq.jpg

It's good as it is, with normal day cycles. At least for me.

I don't get to play daytime much as I'm mostly playing at evenings, but still, I'm having a lot of fun with the flashlight at night. It just feels immersive to me and seems like DayZ is meant to be played at nights, because difficulty then is even higher.

The annoying part are lighths glitching through buildings and gamma cheat, but I'm okay with light passing through walls. Just the gamma cheating is kind of annoying to me as I never know if someone has gamma / brightness set to max or not.

It's not even a week since early access released, and 24/7 daytime already came out.

Now if people will complain about starting gear, we'll see servers where you actually spawn geared to teeth?

• Like 2

Have to agree, if nights looked like this I'm sure you would find a lot more people wanting to play on them.

mBziYT5h.jpg

"This ain't no moon!"

The problem is a lot of these private servers are named almost identically to official ones. This is confusing a lot of players who want to play official ones.

Personally hate the idea of private servers whilst in alpha, but it's something where stuck with.

The problem is a lot of these private servers are named almost identically to official ones. This is confusing a lot of players who want to play official ones.

Personally hate the idea of private servers whilst in alpha, but it's something where stuck with.

aren't they all technically 'official' since they use the main hive?

I really wish people would stop spreading that screenshot like an STD. That's not what night looks like to humans.

Yeah that screenshot looks like daylight ffs.

People are too used to urban light pollution and the ambient light it causes IRL. 

Come on out to the countryside with no moon out. 

Lemme know how "easy" you see.

Edited by dromag67
  • Like 3

It seems as if the night time is just the game but turned to grayscale. People want color!

It seems as if the night time is just the game but turned to grayscale. People want color!

Well, seems like my nighttime is different than yours. My nighttime isn't turned to be greyscale unless I'm low on blood.

Here's how it looks when I'm full on blood, freshly spawned:

lle8.jpg

There are colors if you use flashlight, and you can see a bit of the coastline.

And here's the one without many colors due to me being a bit low on blood:

6u5o.jpg

It's also a bit darker since moon wasn't too generous.

It's not really a good idea to change the way a game plays when you are trying to test it for function, but hey they paid for the server I guess they can do what they like.

People probably wouldn't prefer 24/7 day servers so much if the night time was ever fixed.  It's still do damn dark, I actually like the idea of playing at night and I enjoy it around dusk/dawn.  It's just unrealistically dark and it's way too dangerous having your light on all the time with it's tiny cone revealing yourself.  You should only NEED a light inside buildings where you don't have any moonlight

It's not even the fact of the gamma settings.  Although gamma settings suck with people turning it up and what not.  I know multiple people who just refuse to play in the dark due to them being literally scared... Or afraid to navigate.  It's just so funny because all the while everybody and their mother is screaming we want survival we want all these cool things... but please don't turn the lights off with out my night light mommy.  

• Like 1

The Daylight servers are only because server hosters are having trouble with setting the server box's GMT properly(mine is anyway). Being in Sydney I would like it to be Daytime in the Day and so on. Right now if I set the server to Local Machine Time it is night time when it should be day time. Hoping they fix it soon because I for one abhor 24/7 day time servers and don't want to be one of them.

The night adds to the experience and it does look better than in the mod People saying it looks like ass when you turn the gamma and brightness up(which there have been quite a few) I have to laugh at because if it looks like ass it's to discourage you from doing it. It shouldn't look pretty when you resort to turning up the gamma and brightness just because you can't cope with the night.

It's simply too dark at night,  even with flashlight i have trouble finding loot becouse the damn thing sucks .

A lot of them are not using the official hive.

At the moment we all HAVE to use the Official Hive... There are no private hives and we most likely won't see them for awhile.

Edited by R.Neville

The Daylight servers are only because server hosters are having trouble with setting the server box's GMT properly(mine is anyway). Being in Sydney I would like it to be Daytime in the Day and so on. Right now if I set the server to Local Machine Time it is night time when it should be day time. Hoping they fix it soon because I for one abhor 24/7 day time servers and don't want to be one of them.

The night adds to the experience and it does look better than in the mod People saying it looks like ass when you turn the gamma and brightness up(which there have been quite a few) I have to laugh at because if it looks like ass it's to discourage you from doing it. It shouldn't look pretty when you resort to turning up the gamma and brightness just because you can't cope with the night.

Thanks for the info about the problem with timing, I was told the same thing by the Musty guys a few minutes ago.

A lot of them are not using the official hive.

I didn't know that was even possible at the moment

I didn't know that was even possible at the moment

As far as I know, it's not possible.

I think he meant different shards of official hive. Haven't tested it so I'm not sure but I've heard some servers are running on different shard of database. Like the PL servers are 2nd shard, DE 3rd and so on.

How dare they break the immersion with all these 24hr daylight servers. After all, I expect to be able to spot someone using a flashlight through 3 buildings and a KM away. This is a realistic survival simulator after all. Being an alpha is only an excuse when X person is disappointed some may want to mod a game based on a mod. #modception

Thanks for the info about the problem with timing, I was told the same thing by the Musty guys a few minutes ago.

Heh, no worries. I really wish they would fix this soon and may anytime now. I have reset the server this morning and went in and it was daytime, will have to test further but I am hopeful.  ;)

How dare they break the immersion with all these 24hr daylight servers. After all, I expect to be able to spot someone using a flashlight through 3 buildings and a KM away. This is a realistic survival simulator after all. Being an alpha is only an excuse when X person is disappointed some may want to mod a game based on a mod. #modception

Oh no an alpha has bugs! Let's add the as50 and m107 thermal, maybe some laser guns. I mean screw immersion, the bugs already break it.

Also, the fact that this game came about through modifying arma means that Rockets vision can be fucked with freely, he has no right to dictate how we play his game, it was a mod! How dare he!

#HASHTAG!

• Like 2

... It's a game, dude. The point is we have a dichotomy here. Either a: you make night pitch black. Since flashlights don't work very well and beam right through buildings, nobody is going to play the game this way. b: make it black and white. Well great, realism, but then people just jack up gamma and brightness to have night vision, which isn't very realistic at all anyway. c: make night time bearable to some extent and at least somewhat pretty. The bottom line is that the developers have to draw a compromise between realism and basic playability. If night is impossible to play, then nobody will play at night. I for one would not mind playing at night if it at least had some level of visibility, and also if flashlights had shadows and ambient reflective light.

A simple solution to the gamma problem is to only render light for a very minimal distance around you during the dark. Anything further away than 50- 100 m should be totally pitch. There has to be a way to achieve this effect.

And for the record, the human eye does perceive color in darkness. It just perceives different colors. If you would have read the article you posted, you would see that is true.

"In the human eye cone cells are nonfunctional in low light – scotopic vision is produced exclusively through rod cells which are most sensitive to wavelengths of light around 498 nm (green-blue) and are insensitive to wavelengths longer than about 640 nm (red)."

You still see color. You just see more blue and green rather than red and orange.

I was just outside a while ago or so and it was PITCH BLACK. Really. I was out for a good 20 minutes before I could even barely see the countours of the trees against the sky. Granted, there's no light pollution where I am right now, right in the dark forest of southern sweden. The only way I even knew I was walking on the road still is because of the hint of a clearing between the trees.

Now, I agree, there's no way to realistically represent that on a computer screen, but we should aim for that concept at least. Maybe, as several people suggests, make a very faint light right around the character, just enough to see the immediate surroundings, trees or buildings, but make the "event horizon" impenetrable except for NVG's or actual light.