Sign in to follow this  
Ducard

Server Hopping, DayZ Top Experience Ruining Factor.

When i first got the standalone and started playing at the first couple of hours i was amazed, i had a thought that finally you don't run into a gun full of ammo every 2 mins now we finally get a break from the constant death matching in the spawn area i even ran up to balotta airfield and couldn't find a single gun. Later i went north and found an M4 with no ammo and while checking the 2nd barracks i got shot down by a guy with an M4 camping the last room, re spawned still excited and very pleased with the game and i got shot at balotta by another guy with an M4.

Today i've been playing all day and i got shot at least 4-5 times by people with M4, that's not my issue i am not complaining about deathmatching but i played roughly 19 hours and i've only had a rifle with ammo once and it wasn't even a magazine it was just some bullets that i had to chamber in the rifle one at a time. later when i was chatting with a friend who also plays the game he mentioned that he goes to the airport and keep switching to empty servers that way he gets plenty of gear in short time so now i understand how everyone in high value military zones get all the funky gear with plenty of ammo to waste on poor fellas like me.

Now i remember this happening in the mod but private servers solved that, is there any hope that this can be addressed in the standalone?

They are working on implimenting a fix where if you jump servers X amount of times in Y amount of time then u lose the character and spawn back on the coast... 

They are working on implimenting a fix where if you jump servers X amount of times in Y amount of time then u lose the character and spawn back on the coast...

What about loosing connection, being kicked, crashing, accidentally leaving or joining a bad server. Stupid things like these would ruin the game for people with a fix like that.

loosing all your gear would just piss players off to the point of it only making camping ppl more of an issue.

it seems you're assuming everyone that shot you server-hopped to get their gear

• Like 1

What about loosing connection, being kicked, crashing, accidentally leaving or joining a bad server. Stupid things like these would ruin the game for people with a fix like that.

hopefully that doesn't happen "X amount of times in Y amount of time"

They should add a location check in there to see if those x numer of hops are in the same area as well.

If you're having all those issues, losing your gear is the least of your worries.

It's a bug.

to OP:

loot respawning is bugged right now, so you can't blame server hopping too much. You don't want to run from town to town to find they are already stripped clean until next server restart and die of starvation/dehydration, do you?

People have bad days were nothing goes right.

I am not assuming anything, i am just amazed how everyone find plenty of ammo when it's not all over the place and i can't think of anything other than hopping and looting barracks on other servers.

I'd be willing to wager the amount was at least 80% of them. ;) My friend just spent the day basically camping Barracks with a scoped gun. Not in the actual barracks but in good view of them. Sounds like he had a good day bagging server hoppers. 

I am not assuming anything, i am just amazed how everyone find plenty of ammo when it's not all over the place and i can't think of anything other than hopping and looting barracks on other servers.

Well, that isn't true either. Somewhere in the middle is where the actual answer is. I hit the NEAF and found 4 clips in the one building and another in a hanger. Of course a server hopper popped in while I was in the big building fully geared up with ballistic armor and such and killed me, but I'm sure people don't server hop on a regular basis.... right...  <_<

I'd be willing to wager the amount was at least 80% of them. ;) My friend just spent the day basically camping Barracks with a scoped gun. Not in the actual barracks but in good view of them. Sounds like he had a good day bagging server hoppers.

I'm sure plenty are. it's still an assumption though

in general I don't know how some people manage to get themselves into so many firefights. this guy was shot 4-5 times with an M4 today, and I've yet to be shot at. probably because I stay away from Cherno/Elektro

Loot respawning is bugged right now, so you can't blame server hopping too much. You don't want to run from town to town to find they are already stripped clean until next server restart and die of starvation/dehydration, do you?

This is an extremely fair point. As it stands today, there's often very little use in playing on highly populated server's which have been running for a couple of hours. I'd estimate 70% of towns and all military grade loot locations have been looted. So basically you're risking your life with very little reward playing on these servers. Repawning loot is a must-have over the coming months, as hinted to by rocket in his roadmap post earlier today.

A friend of mine and I were at NWAF today in the ATC tower looting. A guy spawned right next to us prone. Being the pussy I am, I legged it downstairs whilst my friend gunned down the guy. We were looting his body when the guy who died called his friend (probably in teamspeak or skype or something) and the guy logged in outside on the railings and shot my friend. I legged it downstairs, hid under the stairs and shot him myself. I didn't loot the bodies - I literally just ran for the forest.

Server hoppers are the worst.

I heard something about a mechanic being implemented where every time you log off, you spawn somewhere random. Perhaps this could instead be implemented when 

if you jump servers X amount of times in Y amount of time then u 

just log in somewhere different, but with the same gear?

People would still get loot but they'd have to spend a long time just running back to the place, making the game an even longer grind for them.

Private hive servers will fix this, and private hive will also defeat hackers.

Private hives will also remove anything that people consider "hard or difficult".

• Like 1

Well, that isn't true either. Somewhere in the middle is where the actual answer is. I hit the NEAF and found 4 clips in the one building and another in a hanger. Of course a server hopper popped in while I was in the big building fully geared up with ballistic armor and such and killed me, but I'm sure people don't server hop on a regular basis.... right...  <_<

Yea there was an instance where i found couple of clips myself but that was in 19 hours of play.

This is an extremely fair point. As it stands today, there's often very little use in playing on highly populated server's which have been running for a couple of hours. I'd estimate 70% of towns and all military grade loot locations have been looted. So basically you're risking your life with very little reward playing on these servers. Repawning loot is a must-have over the coming months, as hinted to by rocket in his roadmap post earlier today.

Don't justify server hopping with not finding loot, if server got no loot fine you can change it but if you go to the barracks and jump in 10-15 servers then thats fucked up.

Server hopping is the only way to go at the moment with loot not respawning on its own. That's the only way you're going to get loot period. Not a fan of hopping but there is a risk, your character will sometimes reset.

IMO if you server swap you should start at one of the coast spawn points with the gear you had, so not a fresh spawn, if you remain on the same server then you should remain where you logged out

that way if you DC or log for the night then you can join back in and not need to run back to friends or continue your exploration

if you dont like the server you are on after spawning then you can switch to a new server as many times as you like til you find one you do

also prevents people from server hopping to get loot

atm the easiest way to get loot is to SH, so people are going to do it cos its the easy way out

if you can tell me a good reason why switching servers should not reset your location to a coast spawn im ready to hear them, but i haven't heard a good one yet

Sorry if this has been mentioned but Rocket was talking about it in one of the streams, he said he wanted to add a system that imposes a delay when you server hop. So, if you change servers you won't notice much, but if you keep hopping from one to another it'll add a time delay exponentially. So if you hop 3 servers in 5minutes it might make you wait 5minutes, but if you hop another one it'll bump the time up to 10minutes. (just throwing out numbers here, nothing is set)

That can be limiting, what if a server is lagging or i wanted to switch to my friend's server and vice versa?