Plan_B

Every survivors looks military

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering for myself: Why does every survivors as to look like military?

Why isn't there more survival options centered on gear?

What if biker gear offer you good protection against zombie claws/teeth? Leather is tougher then most clothes anyway.

What about hunter gear? Made to sneak in the wood, live of the forest (better weather protection and camouflage)

Maybe some biohazard equipment to get rid and avoid all kind of sickness?

My point is, Dayz should be about survival. So give people more options on the way to survive.

Military stuff are good, but what will happen when ammo runs out?

• Like 2

the artists will create thousands of articles of clothing, weapons and crafting gear in the next months. give it time.. alpha has been public for less than a week.

I am totally aware that this is alpha.

I think that people that want to be involve in the develloppement of this game can come up with some ideas to avoid that each and every one of us end up looking like a soldier.

Maybe this would be a good place to write your suggestions/ideas.

• Like 2

I'm sure the devs got it on their radar. I mean ... it's a zombie apocalypse, so basically anything could be used (clothing-wise). And probably anything can occur. I do like the idea of "biohazard gear". We may have seen some masks, but perhaps a suit (or other equipment) could be added. Less bullet protection but good for avoiding disease (or chance of it), for example.

In the end, I imagine many possible sets to allow for customization but also tactics. Just add as much as possible (okay, maybe no clown outfit, but heck, imagine any civ clothing, military clothing, police / firefighter stuff, casual stuff... list goes on.

Actually, about that clown outfit ...

Edited by Combine

The gear you wear should really impact the way you play. You got sneaker and you run in the swamp? You just got sick because you are all wet. You got boots? You got less chance. Ect...

The gear you wear should really impact the way you play. You got sneaker and you run in the swamp? You just got sick because you are all wet. You got boots? You got less chance. Ect...

So you are saying I should find some Combat Boots, huh? :) 

We look military because military gear is designed to blend in, sticking out in an bright red and black hoody while running around alone will get you noticed more often than a camouflaged coat or even a Green Raincoat. My character tends to find Hunter Pants but I'm not opposed to grey/black cargo pants either. Usually I wear a Green Raincoat if I can find one that isn't damaged. Then I'll go with either the Hunting Backpack or the Green Mountain pack.

Anything grey/brown/green is what I tend to end up using because it blends in and as a side effect I tend to look like a soldier in camo because they are trying to blend in. <_<  

• Like 1

The thing is. you can look civilian right now, there are lots of civilian clothing. The brown paints with 6 lots is an easy find. BUT it seems like most players want to show they are l33t by looking like little soldiers,  "A bridge too far wistle-song goes here". Maybe to feel better and show they have good stuff. Or fullfill their militaristic wet-dreams.

Talk about lack of imagination, Do you really think in such a situation there wouldnt be pple completely happy about wielding a military weapon, having great loot, but still look like a normal (civilian) citizen? 

Even the red backpack is better than the "suposedly" military bag with 30 slots, "But it matches my little soldier clothing". pfff.

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering for myself: Why does every survivors as to look like military?

Why isn't there more survival options centered on gear?

What if biker gear offer you good protection against zombie claws/teeth? Leather is tougher then most clothes anyway.

What about hunter gear? Made to sneak in the wood, live of the forest (better weather protection and camouflage)

Maybe some biohazard equipment to get rid and avoid all kind of sickness?

My point is, Dayz should be about survival. So give people more options on the way to survive.

Military stuff are good, but what will happen when ammo runs out?

why would you wear jeans when you can have trousers for survival purposes with more pockets?

why wear a tshirt when i can wear a hoodie (civ...) or a 6 pocketed parka?

why would i wear running shoes when i can have highly durable jungle boots specially designed to dry fast and keep your feet cool.

why would i not wear a tactical vest? i can fill it full of colas and beans

Even the red backpack is better than the "suposedly" military bag with 30 slots, "But it matches my little soldier clothing". pfff.

The 5 extra slots are not worth standing out while running through the wilderness. Blue would be better. I tend to grab the green one. 

As I stated, I am NOT going for a military look, I am wearing colors that blend me into the background so I am less likely to be shot and killed by a player who happened to notice a bright violet backpack, blue jeans, and orange shirt I was wearing.

it's hard to come up with a new ideas if they haven't implemented their own ideas yet... for now we should just test thing, see how they work and give our opinions about things that are already in the game.

I tend to find/reject clothing based on color so I can give myself good camouflage.

eg: I'll keep camouflage trousers, a green raincoat etc and swap a bright-red backpack as soon as I can.

I believe this does reduce your visibility at a distance and when you've got to run from a player/bandit in the bushes.

Thats the downside with server hive i guess. People are going to good military locations, logs into another server and finds good (military) gear, if that was what you ment.

Thing is that backpack is so big it's hard to look over your shoulder as it obscures your view, this might seem trivial now, as all servers have third person view's, but when some servers change to 1st person only. I will happily trade 5 slots of inventory for better visibility. Size is not everything my friend ;)

And also this :- 

We look military because military gear is designed to blend in, sticking out in an bright red and black hoody while running around alone will get you noticed more often than a camouflaged coat or even a Green Raincoat. My character tends to find Hunter Pants but I'm not opposed to grey/black cargo pants either. Usually I wear a Green Raincoat if I can find one that isn't damaged. Then I'll go with either the Hunting Backpack or the Green Mountain pack.

Edited by TenBensons

Thats the downside with server hive i guess. People are going to good military locations, logs into another server and finds good (military) gear, if that was what you ment.

i prefer a single server hive. 

you'll get to know the other survivors through combat or cooperation, and you'll have to go around the map and wait for server restarts to get loot, rather than hopping like mad.

full hives mean that if you see a player you can (i'm not saying i do, or you should) just log out and hop server. (not talking about in-combat log, just if you see them first.)

even if it wasn't hive like it is, people would just covet the military loot even more and kill for it even more swiftly.

I don't think it's that people are trying to look like soldiers..  it's just military grade gear happens to have either more slots for loot or just generally be more useful... like Mercules stated.. why where a flash orange raincoat when i could where a camo pattern jacket that blends into my surrounding (making me more survivable) and potentially has more loot slots..

I do the same thing... I look for whatever clothing helps me blend in to my surroundings. Therefore I tend to go for items like the hunters camo pants, the NTSO (or whatever it's called) camo jacket, a brown hunters pack, or a green 35 slot pack. It's not that we are trying to play "military dress-up" or fulfill our "militaristic wet-dreams" as so eloquently posted previously. It's just a fact that when you have a bunch of camo gear on because you are trying to blend in to your surroundings, you will have a military look about you.  

Military loot should always represent some what of a higher advantage as the gear was designed before things went to hell. Mainly civilization as we once knew it to be. So allot of tech used to make high end weapons and synthetic fibers will be lost. I mean SOME crafted items and found ones other than military should give a higher advantage but i dont think it should dominate. Maybe the ability to ACTUALLY craft military gear you CANT find would be something ideal but they would take items that are very rare and hard to find in order to craft them while you wear whatever.

Military loot should always represent some what of a higher advantage as the gear was designed before things went to hell. Mainly civilization as we once knew it to be. So allot of tech used to make high end weapons and synthetic fibers will be lost. I mean SOME crafted items and found ones other than military should give a higher advantage but i dont think it should dominate. Maybe the ability to ACTUALLY craft military gear you CANT find would be something ideal but they would take items that are very rare and hard to find in order to craft them while you wear whatever.

jungle boots are better than military boots fyi

faster to dry and aid keeping your feet cool and insulated on a hot day

Edited by Wookieenoob

jungle boots are better than military boots fyi

faster to dry and aid keeping your feet cool and insulated on a hot day

Yeah i have some there good stuff.

I think you'll see a tonne of new clothing options added as development progresses.

I think you'll see a tonne of new clothing options added as development progresses.

Would love to see some police based clothing and weapons maybe. Riot and SWAT gear would be cool for those that dont want a military look.

Yeah, it'll probably be there. But also stuff you'd expect a bit less. Firefighting gear or whatever. At least that would be ideal to have in the end: A wide selection of clothing / gear.

Customization, it's your story, yadda yadda.

Sounds to me that the OP is looking for some perks to be added in Dayz. Be it from gear or some sort of talent system.