pythonmsh

Should combat logging be ban-able?

363 members have voted

1. 1. Should combat logging be ban-able?

• Yes
    • No

Yes it should be bannable.

People who do this need to be banned, What is the point in playing the game if every time you run into a major aspect of it, you are going to close the game to avoid it, no not acceptable permanent ban.

or,

They should implement a simple system were it stops players from combat logging for a number of seconds or if you close the game your character stays put for a number of seconds.

Like the mod, add a timer when nearby an enemy. Another timer for when you're dead until you can exit/respawn.

You should be able to log out whenever you want instantly but your character should stay in whatever stance you put them in for an equal time to the combat log timer (15 sec, 30 sec, etc) and your character can still be killed and looted. Just because even when I know I'm in a safe place I still have to wait 30 seconds which can be a pain.

This is how it should be done.

Seriously, friend livestreamed for 12+ hours after running around the whole map. 18 out of the 20 people we encountered CL'ed on us. We stayed on the same server the whole time. Most server hopped to get a better position on us but we were a group of 8 and had every area covered. And to the poor sap we handcuffed and drained of blood. Hope you died when you CL'ed too. But thanks for being a good sport.

And if 20 people had surrounded you, at least 7 of you would have combat logged.

• Like 1

Since we are all running steam ids, they can certainly detect and stop a player from leaving a server, moving to another server and then returning to the first server in a tight time frame.

There is no good reason for that pattern and it should be easy to detect.

All of you people complaining about combat loggers probably use the gamma exploit at night to loot all of your guns and ammo.

It's quite a bit different. I'd be more then happy to play night time the way it's meant to be played. But the majority of players don't do so. I don't see the point in having a huge disadvantage over everyone else because of this. I would love to see night time be working properly though.

game isn't half finished and you are talking about banning testers... /facepalm

Go back to the first post.

Read it again.

Tell me where OP suggested it needed to be added right now to ban 'testers'?

This is a legitimate concern from user(s) and a discussion on how this small portion of the community thinks it needs to be handled. Whats not needed is trolling.

Edited by CoveringFire

Go back to the first post.

Read it again.

Tell me where OP suggested it needed to be added right now to ban 'testers'?

This is a legitimate concern from user(s) and a discussion on how this small portion of the community thinks it needs to be handled. Whats not needed is trolling.

Did he specify when he want them to be banned? It sounds like he's just real pissed about someone escaped his clutch. The game is in alpha stage so literally everyone who's playing it can be considered testers. Unless someone did something extreme  to sabotage the testing process (like cheating) I don't see the needs to perma ban them.

And please to spam the word "trolling" if you don't know what it means.

Are you people serious? if 3/4 of people combat log are you asking that 3/4 of people should be banned?

What if someone legitimately finds out they need to go and thats just a bonus while some random bandit decides to pop off shots at him?

They need a system in place to stop it, and stop the vanishing body bug when someone exits once they're killed, really annoying being stalked by some guy, shot in the forest, thinks he's off you and then he follows you into a house only for his body to disappear after you kill him, and the only thing you can do is get the fuck out of there.

But, it's been okay with KOS three people have tried to kill me six people never saw me and two people came up and didn't talk/ shoot me, I tried waving but I might've been in the supermarket floor.

Here is the issue; with combat logging and server switching, the game is broken. It becomes not, who is a better survivor, but who can take advantage of the system the best.

What happened to me was I was at an airfield, this one guy and I got into a firefight and he combat logged. He then hopped to a different server, flanked me, and reconnected with the server I was on and killed me. That is absolutely unacceptable.

Here is my proposed solution. 

1. A 30 sec log out timer (can't move or shoot while timer is counting down, doing so resets the timer). If alt+F4 or you game crashes, you body is still in the server for 30 sec. This will prevent some combat logging.

2. If someone logs out properly, but in a military zone, city, or an airfield, it spawns you at the fresh spawn spawn points, or just outside that zone, but still with all of your gear.

3. A 1 min combat timer. If recently you have been wounded, wounded another player, or if any gun was fired within 200m (either you or other players), a one minute combat timer starts. Much like the log out timer, a game crash or alt+F4 means that your body is still in the game for one minute. This should prevent most combat logging.

4. Switching servers does not spawn you where you logged out in the previous server, but will spawn you at a fresh spawn spawn point.

5. Have the option to have at least 3 characters, but each on a different server. That way, if one server is down, you can still play the game on an alternate character.

Let me know what you guys think of this proposed solution for combat logging and server hopping.

Did he specify when he want them to be banned? It sounds like he's just real pissed about someone escaped his clutch. The game is in alpha stage so literally everyone who's playing it can be considered testers. Unless someone did something extreme  to sabotage the testing process (like cheating) I don't see the needs to perma ban them.

And please to spam the word "trolling" if you don't know what it means.

It wasnt mentioned that it HAD to be implemented during alpha, beta or even at full release. Just a guy saying 'here is a problem, this i what i'd like to happen - what do you think?'

Trolling - deliberately being disruptive, offering no sensible comments or suggestion to get a negative reaction. Feel free to google it.

You *could* have offered constructive critisism, or perhaps even just a simple 'no'. But people are less likely to respond to that, right?  ;)

^ some ideas but... I don't want to be put back on the coast every time the last server I was on is full.

It wasnt mentioned that it HAD to be implemented during alpha, beta or even at full release. Just a guy saying 'here is a problem, this i what i'd like to happen - what do you think?'

Trolling - deliberately being disruptive, offering no sensible comments or suggestion to get a negative reaction. Feel free to google it.

You *could* have offered constructive critisism, or perhaps even just a simple 'no'. But people are less likely to respond to that, right?  ;)

If the OP made more sensible suggestions I wouldn't go /facepalm. It's a reaction towards something I think is ridiculous. If I wanted attention I'd do something more extreme. Believe me.

i agree combat logging is for the lowest of players, players with no skill. but a ban-able offense, i don't think so. think of the amount of players that have a bad internet connection and drop out of games at least 2-3 times a night, if they implement this then thye will be banning people for having bad internet.

If the OP made more sensible suggestions I wouldn't go /facepalm. It's a reaction towards something I think is ridiculous. If I wanted attention I'd do something more extreme. Believe me.

For the record i'm not disagreeing with you, just the slightly tactless response.  :P

game isn't half finished and you are talking about banning testers... /facepalm

You're acting as if this is a standalone only problem.

Not to mention people saying

"Their internet probably went out or they got DC'd"
I'd imagine it's happened but very rare, no way in hell does it happen EVERY single time.
Edited by pythonmsh

I don't see a reason to ban someone, since combat logging can be prevented in game. If people try it, they'll just die, so what's the big deal. You get their loot, and they die for combat logging. I'm pretty sure the game can also tell the difference between force closing and internet loss, but if it becomes an issue, just do the same thing for internet loss. The chances for disconnecting during combat are very,very slim.

Edit: Mainly, it would hurt new players who have grown their dayz facial hair yet.

Edited by JESUSARIUS REX

I don't see a reason to ban someone, since combat logging can be prevented in game. If people try it, they'll just die, so what's the big deal. You get their loot, and they die for combat logging. I'm pretty sure the game can also tell the difference between force closing and internet loss, but if it becomes an issue, just do the same thing for internet loss. The chances for disconnecting during combat are very,very slim.

Edit: Mainly, it would hurt new players who have grown their dayz facial hair yet.

Maybe banning right off the bat isn't what needs to be done. But people should be banned if it's happened so many times. Say if they've been caught combat logging on purpose something like 10 times then they should be banned, especially if it's within a short time period.

you don't ban someone for doing something you don't agree with... you ban them for cheating the mechanic.

until dayz has mechanics in place for people to bypass... you can't ban them.

make everyone have a log out timer, like in age of conan, SWG, Mortal Online, etc...

if they managed to log out (after a 30 second wait) with you hunting them, then they escaped.

if they alt f4 of pull the network cable out of the wall, they are in the world for 60 seconds, not 30.

if they cheated their way out...ban em.

• Like 1

No need to even discuss this right now, until private hives are allowed nobody can or will be banned.

"PRIVATE HIVES WAS WHAT RUINED THE MOD" - reddit

Thank you for that.

• Like 1

you don't ban someone for doing something you don't agree with... you ban them for cheating the mechanic.

It's not a matter of whether I agree with it or not... Dying is a part of the game and combat logging isn't a viable strat.