pythonmsh

Should combat logging be ban-able?

363 members have voted

1. 1. Should combat logging be ban-able?

• Yes
    • No

No... there should never be a mechanic that will punish people who have legit bad connections permanently.

Bad connections? I live in the middle of redneck Florida. I pay $30/mo for 1.0MBps Windstream Internet. It took me all of 12 hours to download DayZ but I have a latency of~90ms when I play. Today, my friend brought his computer over and we both played on the same server on my crappy internet with no de-sync.

Don't tell me about bad connections. Ban the suckers.

I agree with Gerander. If it's not in the game now, it should never be added. That goes for everything. No new weapons, no vehicles. The game is perfect as is.

What there should never be is a mechanic that punishes people for using an option available to them in the game. Banning isn't the solution. Removing the option to combat log is.

5 second delay for your body to despawn should split the difference. Not going to help with ghosting, or somebody finding momentary cover and vanishing though. Still, the combat loggers that really piss me off are the ones who do it face to face.

the soltuion: upon dc you will still be in the game for 30-60 seconds, you will be "forced" to stand up and then moved 10m ahead. why? well it mostly comes down to who is more patient in a fire fight on the other hand idk if hes just waiting for me behind that treeor dcing so if hes ported 10m ahead hell be in the open, and most likely dead.

I have encountered several combat loggers over the past 2 days, heck, me and my 2 friends decided to log on yesterday, and straight away one of them got shot and killed(we were all logged out hiding near trees), shortly after another of my friends got shot and killed by the same guy, I managed to see him crouch walking near my friends corpse, so I pop off several shots off at him, then he vanished, there is a chance he was using some sort of radar hack, or just got lucky, but either way, he was a dirty combat logger.

However, if he was hacking, he needs to be banned, if he wasn't, he doesn't need to be banned, he just got lucky, anti-combat logging hasn't been implemented, so he was able to combat log, once its implemented, he would get killed in that situation, even if he alt+f4'd or combat logged in another way, because his body would still be on the server, and I would have killed him.

Stop being pricks about combat logging, it is not bannable, UNLESS CHEATING/HACKING.

Yes its shit, yes combat loggers suck and should learn to be ballsy, and right now its rampant because theres no mechanics in place to stop it, be patient, they will come.

None of this "sure, there might be situations where someone just have to go/get disconnected/crash, but thats extremely unlikely" stuff, fact is, people do get disconnected from time to time, people do need to suddenly log off no matter the in-game situation, they will accept their punishment(character death) and continue playing, and those who are trying to do it just to avoid death, die anyway, its a win/win situation.

Thats why I suggested, if you are in combat, you get a timer where the logout button is, and if you wait out the timer, you can log out normally, but it will still LET you click on it, itll just pop up a warning saying you forfeit your characters life if you log off now, and that will count if they alt+f4/pull their cable/whatever to bypass the standard logout method.

If your character has been out of combat for long enough that the timer hits 0, or if you've never been in combat, you can log out instantly and be fine.

Edited by Atomizer
  • Like 1

Those saying no are either stupid, or guilty of combat logging themselves.

I say absolutely yes.

Wow. Flaming everyone who doesn't agree with you. That's classy. I've never combat logged, but I do think it's better to fix a problem rather than making it a crime. I think most people can see the problem with banning the low percent of people who unintentionally disconnect from the game during combat. Ignoring that a few people might get banned for no reason seems "stupid" to me. I can't count how many times I've been playing a really intense game when my power goes out (this can happen even when you are in a winning position), and if on top of that I got banned from the game entirely... You don't see that as being an issue?

• Like 1

Which I can understand in your case but I highly doubt this is true most of the time let alone at all.

So tell me more about my life? And I'm glad to hear you know of it. Yes in the past I said I have a lot of free time on another post. However I've been called in multiple times in the middle of fights.

No, clearly this is a game design issue and should be fixed server side, what a stupid poll.  You can't prove the person didn't lose internet or power or whatever so you would have to come up with some awkward policy involving three strikes and keep track of server logs and wow it just gets worse the more I think about it.

Combat logging is evil I agree completely, but it needs to be fixed in software, not policed by a huge taskforce of server moderators checking server logs for the third strike.

Wow. Flaming everyone who doesn't agree with you. That's classy. I've never combat logged, but I do think it's better to fix a problem rather than making it a crime. I think most people can see the problem with banning the low percent of people who unintentionally disconnect from the game during combat. Ignoring that a few people might get banned for no reason seems "stupid" to me. I can't count how many times I've been playing a really intense game when my power goes out (this can happen even when you are in a winning position), and if on top of that I got banned from the game entirely... You don't see that as being an issue?

I never once said that the issue should be a 'one time offense', in fact I state quite the opposite. If your power kicks you off as frequently as some people combat log, well then you have no business playing this or any other multiplayer game. Of course nobody should be banned for doing something one single time, that's idiotic. A warning system would obviously have to be adapted where a person can appeal points.

they're obviously going to add in something to prevent combat logging, i really think people are going on about it too much. It's such an obvious issue it just seems utterly retarded to have 20 threads about it. 

If someone combat logs their body should be left behind and they should respawn next time they log in, this is the only solution and the best one.

I never once said that the issue should be a 'one time offense', in fact I state quite the opposite.

But think it through, how would this system work.  It would either require a team of admins checking for and tracking luckilly timed disconnects of 40,000 players, or fairly complex software developed to track when combat logging happens. 

There are MUCH simpler changes that can be made to the server to make combat logging impossible.

Which is better?

To expand on this, in order for software to track combating logging, the software would have to define and monitor entry and exit from an "in-combat' state.  What are the conditions for entering the in-combat state (what has to occur).  It's not trivial.  In-combat is a judgement call that is easy for a human, but complex for computers.  There has to be gunfire and proximity of players, and the gunfire has to be plus/minus some fudge factor from one player towards another.  It messy, leaves room for false positives, and adds complexity to already slow code.

Mann people log off because they experienced other, cunt people shoot them for no reason. You feel kind of fooled when you are a nice person who does not pose a threat and want to team up and support people, but then you are shot in your stomach because you have a nice backpack. Most people evolve into KoSers after they got shot once. They justify that bs having been shot once. They do Not realize that they can just not stalk their prey and shoot them in the back, but split paths because they are stupid, narrowminded fuckups with no joy in life. Combat logging is the fault of people with no extent of decency or honor, who would shoot ghandi for his gear.

• Like 1

Mann people log off because they experienced other, cunt people shoot them for no reason. You feel kind of fooled when you are a nice person who does not pose a threat and want to team up and support people, but then you are shot in your stomach because you have a nice backpack. Most people evolve into KoSers after they got shot once. They justify that bs having been shot once. They do Not realize that they can just not stalk their prey and shoot them in the back, but split paths because they are stupid, narrowminded fuckups with no joy in life. Combat logging is the fault of people with no extent of decency or honor, who would shoot ghandi for his gear.

Not accurate at all, many times I have had people shoot at us first, and as soon as they got disadvantaged(ie, we shoot back), they combat log.

Me and 2 other friends were at the balota airfield, moving in from balota I start taking shots, so we try to locate where the shots were coming from, they were coming in from the north behind the tech/police building, so we start moving up, when we got to that building I went off to the right, unfortunately I left myself a bit exposed and got shot and killed, one of my friends was to my right behind some bushes, my friends then ended up killing one of them, but there was 2 more, but as soon as one of them was killed, the others must of combat logged, gave up like a bunch of pussies just because one of their friends got downed.

And another time we were logging in to a server and both my friends got killed within seconds of spawning(we were well hidden in bushes and trees), I managed to locate the guy crouch walking near one of my friends bodies, so I pop of several M4 shots at him, then he disappears, clearly combat logged, I searched the area and no one else was around.

There is other times where it has been the KoSers combat logging, not the other way around.

• Like 1

I'd rather not read through pages of back and fourth, so I'll just state my opinion for what it is worth.

Combat Timer: Once you fire your weapon or player comes under fire (if programmable), there is at least a minute timer that prevents you from logging out.

Respawn Timer: After death/unconsciousness, you are forced to stay in the server for 10/15 minutes before respawning.  This would allow the other people to take your gear w/o your body disappearing.  If the game is exited by means of ctrl+alt+del or alt+f4 than a penalty of some sort (don't have a good idea for this) is needed to try to prevent this.

---------------------

STORY TIME: I just had a guy combat log on me.  I was at Northern Airfield, spotted a guy in the tower looking towards the forest, where I was.  Prior to that I was on the left side near the industrial area of the complex and heard two separate M4s.  I had a strong assumption that if I saw a guy in the tower, he was hostile.  I had a clear shot on him, he could not see me.  I shot and he either died and logged, or just logged.  I wasn't going for his gear, but I would have liked a confirmation of my kill to know if I was safe or not.

Combat log = 7 day ban

This should learn all warz noobs/ cod kidds that THIS IS DAYZ !

On top of that, the character should spawn with only 25% health and a broken leg when they log in next time.

a 10 second timer wont stop many people... You could easily run behind cover and just wait the 10 seconds. I think the body should stay in the server for 2 mins after you d/c. Should also be a limit to re join a server so people cant ghost but I'm pretty sure Rocket said he planned that anyway.

a 10 second timer wont stop many people... You could easily run behind cover and just wait the 10 seconds. I think the body should stay in the server for 2 mins after you d/c. Should also be a limit to re join a server so people cant ghost but I'm pretty sure Rocket said he planned that anyway.

It's all planned, anti-combat logging, anti-server hopping, anti-ghosting, discussing if it should or shouldn't be in is pointless, people like to be a hero and suggest how they think it should be done, even if most have no idea on what is involved in game development and game design specifically, just the way things are.

I do agree though, a 10 second timer is way too short, hence my previous post on how I would handle it(or at least what I would try out first): http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/157862-server-hop-ghosting-solution/page-2#entry1585019

Yep, another "hero suggestion", though I actually have a bit of background in game development, not to say my way is great, but its the way I would handle it, banning as a replacement for a game mechanic is not how things should be handled.

Yes but you need to be able to distinguish between a simple crash or internet failure and an actual combat log.