jBrick

Charging people money to help you "make" a game....

*orlok magic*

It's gonna be busy times o dear horseman of the apocalypse, I hope you (and your fellow colleagues) are ready for it.

Ontopic: Posters above me said it already, no use to repeat it. Alpha and stuff, there was a big warning on the Steam storepage about it.

Edited by Grumpy Monkey
  • Like 1

This is my last post on this topic because I don't see this being productive.  What reason could you POSSIBLY have for waiting two years to release a game and then releasing a paid for alpha in this manner?  HONESTLY?  "The game will come out when its ready... not before"... are you telling me this game is ready?  Because according to Steam DayZ is Here! 

And as for people saying all companies are charging for Alpha and pre-release.. OHHHH really?  Pixel Piracy and a game supported by Bohemia are the same thing right?  Give your head a shake.

From when rocket said he was going to make DayZ he said he would use a minecraft model to develop the game. Minecraft was in alpha/beta for years and it continues to grow. The same will likely happen with DayZ. Im with what the other people here have said. if you dont like it then dont buy it, simple. Or go play the mod.

Many games have a Pre-Order special. If the OP decided to buy the game while it was $30 and never play it but treat it as a "Pre-Order" then only play once it "released" then he would probably be saving $30 as it will likely be $60 at actual release. 

That is not how basic math works.

I think he thinks he's purchased the final game with his purchase of Alpha not realizing he has just purchased the right to play the pre-release and still has to buy the game.

What on earth are you talking about?

If you have to post at least try not to deliberately troll

• Like 2

Alternately, 

Buy it at $30 and wait until it releases for $60 and you just saved $30 but don't have to play it while buggy. Problem Solved.

Dude there is no way in hell this game released will sell for 60 dollars. Let all be honest here. It will still sell for 30 bucks (as originally intended). The whole discount thing was smoke and mirrors. You pay 30 today, you get the alpha and release. You wait until release, you still pay 30. Just my .02

The game was always going to be released as paid alpha, it has been known since day one. Why does this come as a surprise to anyone, I don't know. Are you also not the same guy who started a thread about SA being over a year too late? Basically, you want a fully finished game with massive changes developed in... no time.

I think he thinks he's purchased the final game with his purchase of Alpha not realizing he has just purchased the right to play the pre-release and still has to buy the game.

Wat?

• Like 1

That is not how basic math works.

How so? He can either spend $60 at a later date or spend $30 now. If he chooses now he has spent $30 less and therefore saved $30 off the $60 price. 

How so? He can either spend $60 at a later date or spend $30 now. If he chooses now he has spent $30 less and therefore saved $30 off the $60 price. 

You reversed what you said. Now you're talking about him buying it out now.

If he buys it later he loses 30... Not saves.

I don't see what the fuss is about. In general. Essentially, in this area this is common now, and you get to play the game early on. You can even influence it to some degree, or rather, the feedback of all can. And you probably get some discount. I don't have to mention that common sense but also several "warnings" show that such (pre) Alphas are not the final product.

It has already been said. People do not HAVE to purchase the game early on and there is usually always a way to see if it's far enough to ones personal taste. Let's Plays or so for example, trailers, videos about it, reports, forum messages, feedback about it.

Common sense: Don't purchase (access to) early game version and expect full game.

60.00 - 30.00 = 30.00

>saved 30 dollars

wut?

Paying $30 now is $30 less than $60 which is probably the price later so you save $30 :rolleyes:

You reversed what you said. Now you're talking about him buying it out now.

If he buys it later he loses 30... Not saves.

GO READ MY POST...

Alternately, 

Buy it at $30 and wait until it releases for $60 and you just saved $30 but don't have to play it while buggy. Problem Solved.

Buy it at $30 and wait to play it.

Really?  This is almost unbelievable.  Most companies don't charge people for helping them Beta test... let alone paying money for what standalone currently is.  I really don't see a justification for this other than cashing in on the title now.  Maybe a game developer can come shed light on what the reasoning behind this is as at this point it makes little sense other than abject greed.

Anyone who gives you beans is just as retarded as you by association

I can't say I agree with being pissed off about the state of a game you willingly bought of your own free will, after being given ample warning about the state before buying it.

Anyone who gives you beans is just as retarded as you by association

Hello there

No personal insults please.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

just don´t play until release and feel happy about having payed less
and one thing 
DO NOT COMPLAIN 
it is your own choice buying it 

Why isn't my quote button working!!!

Anyways in your reply to my post you ask why they would relece an alpha like this. I gave you 3 good reasons....none of which you addressed in your reply.

The game is not ready....therefore is not out. What is out is a pre relece alpha for bug testing. By buying it you are saying that you want to participate in the games development. Not that you want a complete game to just play. As a bonus you will get a discount from the retail price.

Is that not completely fair? Is that not akin to paying every person who assists in bug testing 20 quid or 30 dollars??

Really?  This is almost unbelievable.  Most companies don't charge people for helping them Beta test... let alone paying money for what standalone currently is.  I really don't see a justification for this other than cashing in on the title now.  Maybe a game developer can come shed light on what the reasoning behind this is as at this point it makes little sense other than abject greed.

The best selling game was available for purchase since the first stages of development. Cough Minecraft  Cough

Also, there's a warning in the purchase site clearly saying to not buy it if you wish to play it normally...

Expect gamebreaking bugs, it's an Alpha after all, not even a beta.

Edited by Hosty

It's true that in its current state 30 dollars is alittle high priced. I remember Dean Hall saying when they released the early alpha it would be around the 15 dollar mark. Still, those guys do need the payrole to continue developing the game at a good standard and id like to think anybody that spent that 30 dollars supports the project and knows what their getting themselves into. Then again some people dont and those individuals need to learn how to read the fine print. 

It's true that in its current state 30 dollars is alittle high priced. I remember Dean Hall saying when they released the early alpha it would be around the 15 dollar mark. Still, those guys do need the payrole to continue developing the game at a good standard and id like to think anybody that spent that 30 dollars supports the project and knows what their getting themselves into. Then again some people dont and those individuals need to learn how to read the fine print. 

Well, he also stated at one point that maybe it would be more to discourage those who are less serious from buying it. They wanted to weed out those that would have an issue with the game in the state it was in and only get those who really wanted to play it early despite the bugs. So... maybe it should have been $40? ;)

Hello there

Its a known fact dean's just doing it for the laydeez and lambos.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

It's pretty atrocious. I feel like I'm back where I was one year ago playing the FREE mod. 

I'm completely baffled at the DayZ team for releasing it in this state and charging for it. Surely you release a game in alpha once you feel you and your team have addressed a majority of the bugs and need constructive player feedback? I noticed well over 10 problems with the game within a few minutes of playing the thing. The zombies aren't even properly implemented into the game - something you would expect in a publicly-released RETAIL  ZOMBIE-survival game.

Yes, Rocket released a statement saying this is alpha and players should only purchase if they want to be a part of the development process. We get it. But, this is barely playable in it's current state and is completely absurd they would charge £19.99 for it - It's terribly unfinished, even for an alpha release. 

• Like 1

barely playable 

I been having a blast for hours now... Not sure which game you're playing ;)

• Like 4

I agree the price is steep for an alpha but the good news is for bad or worse things will get fixed and we wont have to pay extra for any future content as of yet.

• Like 1