Sign in to follow this  
switch296

Is duping officially allowed?

Of course it's not OK. Report them and have them kicked out, so the rest of us can get on with actually testing the mod, so that one day it might get finished!

Updated by rocket about 24 hours ago

Status changed from New to Resolved

Removed 1 second delay in 1.7.2 that would theoretically allow duping of said items

That bug only fixes duping objects like gas cans and wheels that you have to pick up and put in your primary inventory (apparently there's a delay between when you start picking it up and it ends up in your inventory).

These guys have found some way to duplicate normal items, which is not addressed by that fix.

If your clan is LLJK' date=' Rocket already knows about you guys. He will deal with that situation. If not, you better stop that shit before you get your ass kicked

[/quote']

oh, really. he get to deal with alot of folks then. duping is not cheating, bug abusing or exploiting. its part of the core game mechanic we use to our advantage. it is the way rocket designed this mod. and i have not found one official word about it not being allowed.

btw we are not LLJK either, just throwing that out there.

Not sure if I'd report it' date=' but I'd definitely play on a different server myself, as I don't plan on duping items and wouldn't want other folks to be doing it either, and a server that embraces it so brazenly just wouldn't be compatible with me. But no biggie, I'd just play somewhere else.

[/quote']

it looks like these days, everyone does it. good luck finding a dupe-free server :rolleyes:

we did it the other day in stary and it went quite good, and just as we prepared to move out, a group of 6 folks moves in and take two of us down.

see, its not like we go to a random military camp and instant have full gear. it takes a bunch of experienced folks, tactics and time to get an operation like this done. staying in the same hotspot for a good while is not healthy.

the spawn mechanics are borked atm, and i agree it needs to be fixed to prevent duping, if that is even possible. but as long as everyone else does it, i don't see why we should stick to stone age gear and get our ass handed to us. no, thank you.

its tacitly supported by the developers by their inaction.

they could simply wipe out all tents and vehicles. it would not solve the root issue but it would drastically reduce the effects of duping pretty much right away.

duping is not cheating' date=' bug abusing or exploiting. its part of the core game mechanic we use to our advantage. it is the way rocket designed this mod. and i have not found one official word about it not being allowed.[/quote']

I'm sorry but that is pure bullshit used to justify your use of a bug or exploit that may even be under the radar in terms of the specific bug which enables it - if it was an official mechanic, you'd be able to right-click an L85A2 or any other item and select "duplicate" and make yourself another to provide your friends or team mates the items they want.

You have found, or are using a bug to gain advantage over other players. The fact that others are already using it makes no difference to whether it's acceptable or not.

File a bug report, tell your secret methods to the devs, tell them how to replicate it, and allow the devs to fix it. Perpetuating the behaviour by keeping the exploit secret and abusing it yourself is simply indefensible.

Azrail what the fuck are you on, is your head really that far up your ass? It's a bug that's hard to dislodge, some people think removing bugs is a simple matter but trust me it's like looking into a giant ball of spaghetti and trying to untangle one in the middle without disturbing the ones around it. They will fix it, In NO GAME is duping ever a core mechanic, never mind a survival simulator, you must be trolling seriously.

Azrail what the fuck are you on' date=' is your head really that far up your ass? It's a bug that's hard to dislodge, some people think removing bugs is a simple matter but trust me it's like looking into a giant ball of spaghetti and trying to untangle one in the middle without disturbing the ones around it. They will fix it, In NO GAME is duping ever a core mechanic, never mind a survival simulator, you must be trolling seriously.

[/quote']

what is a bug here?

items spawn, we move them away, items respawn.

it is working as it was designed to. hence, GAME MECHANICS.

mind you, i am familiar with programming.

and if you read my post again, i said it needs to be fixed.

I'm sorry but that is pure bullshit used to justify your use of a bug or exploit that may even be under the radar in terms of the specific bug which enables it - if it was an official mechanic' date=' you'd be able to right-click an L85A2 or any other item and select "duplicate" and make yourself another to provide your friends or team mates the items they want.

You have found, or are using a bug to gain advantage over other players. The fact that others are already using it makes no difference to whether it's acceptable or not.

File a bug report, tell your secret methods to the devs, tell them how to replicate it, and allow the devs to fix it. Perpetuating the behaviour by keeping the exploit secret and abusing it yourself is simply indefensible.

[/quote']

what i have been shown by others, is a problem within the game design.

i dont need to justify myself. i could care less about if you approve or not. sue me, report me, need my guid mr. duping police officer? lets see how likely i am to get banned for moving within the limits the game and its rules allows.

and the problem is not secret, everyone very well knows about it.

i don't know how to fix it, but i am sure rocket has a plan. if he doesn't, we're doomed i guess.

meh duping is cheating, its no different to spawning things in with scripts albeit keeping the scripts limited to whats in game.

my team and I managed to dupe a character once just by switching skins, guy died dropped all his gear, logged off and spawned a clone of himself, logged back and was still alive, it was completely random, and happened while doing precisely what is intended in game mechanics.

the way i see it, currently the duping is a bug, we looted some of the ammo and tools that day but we didn't sit there trying to reproduce the effect, knowing it basically kills the whole point of the game.

I hope there is a data wipe at some point when the game gets into a more polished state. that way these alpha dupes will stay in alpha.

what is a bug here?

items spawn' date=' we move them away, items respawn.

[/quote']

Is that really how people are duping items? That's more farming surely?

Waiting for them to respawn - perhaps not in the spirit of the game, but not cheating.

I presumed they were doing some crazy glitchy thing involving clicking loads of buttons and jumping off trees....

You know it's rampant when people are actually bragging about exploiting.

Btw when did being an outstanding citizen turn into not being a snitch.

"its part of the core game mechanic we use to our advantage"

how is it not an exploit?

.. say what you like but it's the cheesiest and you get no ratings.

oh then, if thats the case, let's see here.

to cover behind a tree must be an exploit.

parking zombies in buildings must be an exploit, despite it is common advice given to new players.

not to mention disconnecting to avoid death. yesterday i got a shot off on another player in cherno. i thought he was dead, but he just passed out and disappeared few seconds later. do i complain? no, its my fault for not making sure he actually is dead. and this is an exploit, which is actually addressed by rocket in a sticky.

i need no ratings from you, tyvm.

some people need to learn about the difference between flaws, exploits, bugs and cheats.

edit: i support the idea of recurrent wipes.

but it will punish new players, now even more so since we spawn almost blank.

and the duping people will get their stuff back in no time anyways.

we need a new loot spawn system.

@ OP.. oh come one.. how many people have you legit killed with all that gear.. i'm sure its less than 2.

"i need no ratings from you, tyvm."

Doesn't that go without saying? So predictable in your reaction but if you looked at it subjectively rather than hearing -I- give you no ratings and you should care whether or not -I- rate you. Instead see that its cheesy behavior and you get no ratings from anyone for it, not from other dupers and certainly not from anyone that earns their shit. Your a joke, undermining what little value there is in the other things you do. How you feel about my opinion of you doesn't change that.

what is a bug here?

[/quote']

That's not duping you clown, that's item farming.

Go find a thread about item farming to troll you dunderhead.

what is a bug here?

it is working as it was designed to. hence, GAME MECHANICS.[/quote']

As I understand from what you have just divulged, there is a bug in the spawning mechanics - you are taking advantage, ie *exploiting* that bug by moving away and returning to find a duplicate item in the spawn point. Just because it's a part of the game as we currently play it does not mean that it's not a bug. Do you remember what we, as, *cough* testers are supposed to be doing here?

I repeat my original post - have you filed a bug report, advising how to replicate this bug? Or are you assuming that others have already, and that you are using this exploit to farm equipment which should be single drops of very rare items so that you can stockpile them only to die with impunity and return to (can I assume that you have a tent and vehicles off-map too?) your camp and re-arm without having to find your loot within the confines of a fair game environment?

In a game where loot drops with rarity tied to item desirability, it should be plainly obvious that any method of finding an item and then duplicating that item is a bug. It's pure self delusion to believe otherwise.

and if you read my post again' date=' i said it needs to be fixed.[/quote']

Fair enough. But that *does* suggest that behind your facade of "it's in the game so why shouldn't we?" you know it's a bug you are exploiting.

what i have been shown by others' date=' is a problem within the game design.[/quote']

And I'll say it again; have you filed a bug report? Have you suggested to anyone other than in this thread that this should be taken care of?

i dont need to justify myself. i could care less about if you approve or not. sue me' date=' report me, need my guid mr. duping police officer? lets see how likely i am to get banned for moving within the limits the game and its rules allows.[/quote']

Nope, you're absolutely right. You have no need to justify yourself to me. No more than all the people who abuse logging off for tactical gain, Alt-F4 to avoid death, or any other uses of broken alpha game mechanics need to justify themselves. These people are using current game mechanics in ways that go well outside of the scope of how the game is *meant* to be played, and defending them is quite obviously an exercise in futility.

I've never been affected by any of these issues. I keep myself to myself, but I can still see that it is giving you and any others using the same subset of exploits an advantage and justifying it by saying "everyone else is doing it" is just daft.

and the problem is not secret' date=' everyone very well knows about it.

i don't know how to fix it, but i am sure rocket has a plan. if he doesn't, we're doomed i guess.

[/quote']

It's secret enough for many of the people on this thread to not know about it. You were told by word of mouth, not by looking into the wiki and realising that the game rules mean that you can walk away from a spawn point in a particular way only to return to find the same item you picked up earlier has magically returned - with no requirement to pray to the RNG gods that you'll get the drop you want.

Any way you look at this, if you step out of the blinkered view of the defensive exploit user, is that you are abusing the system for your own gain.

Game economies are very hard to manage and keep balanced. Those who dupe now WILL cheat in the future. To cheat or not to cheat is an ethical quandary that people who cheat will fail to pass time and time again.

I say name and shame AND get the ban hammer out. (Until fixed)

duping is so trivially easy to do that you can literally do it by accident when playing with a group

really needs to be fixed :/

what is a bug here?

[/quote']

That's not duping you clown, that's item farming.

Go find a thread about item farming to troll you dunderhead.

meh, looks like i was on the fail train then.

its how duping was explained to me, by several independent people.

and since you can in a way dublicate items this way it made sense.

but thank you for your kind words, i will now go and educate myself about duping.

and do me a favour and go educate yourself about how to properly interact with other people.

everyone can calm down now, looks like i am in fact not duping. BAN DUPERS!!11 *throws raging tantrum*

@Criminal don't act like you know people based on things they do on the internet. it doesn't make you look as smart as you want to.

dupe = cheat = report .Alpha or not.

Stumbling upon glitches is not cheating, much the same as dieing from a random glitch does not mean you're a bad player.

If people wouldn't try these things out, they would not be found and couldn't be fixed. Its actually a great thing for the devs to have quality control outsourced and completely for free during the development phase of the product.

Banning people that accidentally find glitches and abuse them would simply be counterproductive.

It only shows what a promising game rocket has in the making, when people get that emotionally attached to it even before the beta stage.

Meh I'll do the work for ou Azrail:

Duping is duplicating items that have been picked up already from one of the various loot spawn location, effectively replicating one item withouth having it spawn normally in game.

It's a bug within ArmA and it's been there a long time, you can do it with any item that require certain animations when picking them up, consequently with an item if you understand the mechanic behind it. Matter of fact, not too long ago you could even pick up items directly from another players bacpack and dupe it this way, that has been adressed by now.

So, it's a bug that didn't cause many issues in vanilla ArmA 2, seeing how game breaking (after all the intention is to punish death by loosinng your gear and not being able to reequip instantly - THE core mechanic behind the mod) it is for DayZ, it will be fixed eventually I suppose.

Stumbling upon glitches is not cheating' date=' much the same as dieing from a random glitch does not mean you're a bad player[/quote']

You're quite right - finding the bug is not cheating. Abusing it for your own gain, ho-yeah, that's cheating.