Sign in to follow this  
AG-D.Wright

Bad News: Map shrinked considerably; can make it from town to town in less than a couple minutes.

Interesting. Mine is still downloading so I haven't played yet but it makes zero sense for them to shrink the map. Just can't think of anything they could possibly gain from doing that. I've always thought characters run faster in standalone videos but apparently that's not the case either.

I will admit, I was a bit curious as to how I made it from Balota to Vishnoye so quickly. I don't think the map has shrunk though. If anything, I feel that I walk slower.

I've run between Komarovo and Kamenka about 3 billion times in my life--and it felt about the same distance when I did it a couple of minutes ago.  Other distances seem to be roughly similar, though I haven't done any scientific experimentation.  I'm not saying you're incorrect--just that my experience points in the other direction.  If anything, I would think that perhaps towns were moved a tad with all of the map updates, but I highly highly doubt the map has been downsized.

• Like 1

I was playing earlier and bumped into another survivor.  We decided to team up and as we were running it was apparent that his character was quite a bit faster than my character.  

I've run into nothing of the sort. I've put hundreds of hours into this game and know (at least the coast,) by heart. It has been downsized.

No AD, you knew the coast by heart. You've logged hundreds of hours and don't know that they shuffled the map around? Wiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Until you find some more compelling evidence than your guesstimation based on outdated map locations, I'll be reserving judgement.

I was playing earlier and bumped into another survivor.  We decided to team up and as we were running it was apparent that his character was quite a bit faster than my character.  

That is pretty common, i have had heaps of foot races with many different players watched them disappear into the distance. Demon and i had a couple of runs and he flogged my ass, then he beat me in the foot race.

Why did they think this was a good idea? You can literally make it from Krutoy Cap to Elektro in just a couple of minutes. A small downscale is fine, but at this level? Absolutely atrocious. Is there any word on this? Is this just a smaller map for testing?

Excuse me, but Krutoy Cap has always been a few minutes from Elektro. I don't think the map is smaller. Aside from the fact that Prigorodky has fewer buildings, I think what your probably experiencing is the fact there are actually more structures and therefore each town is "closer" to one another because there are more buildings between them. I don't think the map is smaller, but I will experiment.

Edited by SalamanderAnder
  • Like 2

I think SalamanderAnder is right. Its the higher density of buildings is giving the illusion that your traveling less distance. Watched nearly every vid I can get my hands on since it came out and scaling dosent seem to have changed atall. Wasn't the plan to extend the map into the north/east...is that already in SA or is that something for later down the line?

I am very sure the map is not downscaled. You can not simply rescale a height map like a photo. And even if you could downscale the actual height map, you would have to repaint textures and move 500 million objects to fit on the map like it was before.

No way this was downscaled.

1. Makes no sense to do it

2. Technical nightmare

3. BI mapping tools are the worst on the planet, and the lead mapper would probably punch rocket in the face for requesting that

Edited by alleycat
  • Like 6

Hello there

Do we have any info/proof yet?

How close are you to releasing any vids examples?

Tonight or tomorrow?

Rgds

LoK

Ran from Guglovo to Novy to Stary last night and it was the same.  Right up the old bicycle spawn road and west once i hit Novy.  I agree with the fact that Elektro has many more structures and makes it feel closer.

But when I ran from Novy to Stary (which was close to begin with)  It was pitch black.  I pretty much did it with my eyes closed and everything seemed right on track.  Ran through a pitch black field until I saw the large industrial with the Stary water tower beside it.

However was extremely dissapointed to find no military tents :((((((