Aporis

Has anyone really questioned, when and why did the KoS mentality got out of control?

title, says pretty much everything? Anyobdy been wondering when did all this Killing on sight occur, why everyone does it and most importantly why did it began all along? Nowadays, you can be a unarmed noob, heros, bandits and survivors are all gonna kill you, with anythign they have pretty much.

As soon as a player gets bored of surviving. Gets bored of the same repetitive looting.

• Like 3

As soon as a player gets bored of surviving. Gets bored of the same repetitive looting.

I disagree. I think most of the people that have got bored with dayz have just moved on to another game.

The moment this mod became accessible/popular to the masses is when it became a bit of a gun fest.

Rightly or wrongly, the copious amounts of arma discount sales on steam coupled with youtube has made this game what it is today 

• Like 3

I disagree. I think most of the people that have got bored with dayz have just moved on to another game.

The moment this mod became accessible/popular to the masses is when it became a bit of a gun fest.

Rightly or wrongly, the copious amounts of arma discount sales on steam coupled with youtube has made this game what it is today 

Whilst I agree that streamers, youtube and copious discounts in a way, have brought the KoS mentality forward bringing a vast amount of players in with a missconseption about what the mod is, I think that there is more to it. I don't mean that people have gotten of DayZ per se. I mean they know that no other game can offer what DayZ does. I think many try to maximize their experience (having gotten over caring about their stuff) in their own way. They have gotten over caring about their stuff. That is after all why PvP orientated mods appeared. Therefore have not moved on to other games. Of course many have done so, me included for long periods, but I always find myself returning to DayZ and ArmA.

Regards :P Nice avatar 

• Like 2

You know what, so many people talk about KoS being everywhere. Ive been killed on sight twice in almost 2 years of playing. I just never see a lot of it.

you're spot on!

i'll be honest, if you go into cherno on a full 50 man server... expect trouble...

• Like 3

because few people know the advantage of being a hero :)
and a lot of people come friendly and they being shooted with no warning several time
so for survive alone you have to KOS or be Kos ( especially on a high populate's server)

Edit :

when ?

when the team of 5 player have repair a 4 seat's vehicle LOL

Edited by GuitZ
  • Like 1

You people STILL bitching about KOS? FFS, get over it and accept the fact that as long as kids play this shit, you will have the douche baggery called KOS. They can't comprehend the concept behind this once potentially great game.

When the mod became popular KOS became just as popular. Also, I think the more people knew about loot locations and how to survive the less they were to rely on someone for protection, supplies, knowledge etc. So, many people then saw other players as simply company or maybe even a threat or dead weight.

• Like 1

Hello there

As others may have pointed out, KOS has been discussed in length.

There are many reasons that folk KOS but to me it seems reasons that are given are:

its the safest and easiest way to get gear, Fer teh lulz or paranoia.

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok
  • Like 5

When did KoS become popular?

When DayZ did.

• Like 3

for the love of jesus pleaase stop KOS threads even rocket does it !

And that's why I'm afraid that standalone will be the same garbage all over again. If people see Rocket doing it and hanging out with players like Sacriel, what are they supposed to think? Was I the only one who though the latest stream was sending mixed messages? Rocket was showing new features meant to stop KoS, while Sacriel (who is known for it) kept going on about firefights and sniper duels.

I know it's not my place to question who Rocket hangs out with. I'm just wondering if he's given up on DayZ being much more than Wasteland with a complicated medical system.

• Like 1

Whilst I agree that streamers, youtube and copious discounts in a way, have brought the KoS mentality forward bringing a vast amount of players in with a missconseption about what the mod is, I think that there is more to it. I don't mean that people have gotten of DayZ per se. I mean they know that no other game can offer what DayZ does. I think many try to maximize their experience (having gotten over caring about their stuff) in their own way. They have gotten over caring about their stuff. That is after all why PvP orientated mods appeared. Therefore have not moved on to other games. Of course many have done so, me included for long periods, but I always find myself returning to DayZ and ArmA.

Regards :P Nice avatar 

Haha cheers, by the way, it's not me - it's David Brent from the office, i'd just like to make that known!

• Like 1

Everyone has answered when it began, not one of you have answered the question why did it all began and more importantly why EVERYONE is doing it these days, compared to last years situation which was actually ok, compared to this, I was playing Taviana, even new spawns try to kill a new spawn. And You try to reason them, they give you no answer thru voice chat, then I went mad and blasted that bambis sorry ass with a G17 which was a spawn weapon, I remember the day when you had no weapons at all on main hive, still people teamed up with you but as soon as they found a gun, well, they gave you some nice KoS as a reward. People really should start working on a mod without zombies, same style gun spawning as dayz, except that all Arma guns are implemented, base building just like in epoch, military vehicles,c130's tanks etc.., drinking, selfbloodbagging etc. Thats how we get rid of these arses maybe... :I

Edited by Aporis

KoS mentality has been a defining cornerstone of the game since the beginning.

New players tried to work with other new players while veterans played for bigger game.

There are few new players to DayZ, so what do you expect to happen?

Edited by gummy52

The bandit was always the main threat in DayZ, the possibility of getting shot at anytime was what gave the most tension.

The player population grew and so too did the bandit population. 

Aporis there is already a variation of that...it's called Wasteland...you have everything there and more. I'm still wondering why the douchebags didn't go play that yet. Maybe if an admin actually deactivated zombie spawns and maximized loot spawn especially weapon spawn would there be people playing it? I mean it can only be better because you don't get lag killed or mike tyson zombie killed due to desync or low fps and get a lot of stuff.

That bandit shit is going on my nerves...it's not banditry what KoSers are doing it's just plain murder out of boredom they just don't want to admit it. And as long as rocket is happily KoSing himself he is sending the wrong message to the ones who actually supported him. I watched the stream and i got borwed pretty quick...now i just want some modder to take the new Chernarus and put a hardcore version of it out because i'm sure BIS will fail.

Edited by Enforcer
  • Like 1

KOS post shocker !

one more braincell just got deleted :lol:

sacreel was chosen probably as popular or rocket likes him. i watched the stream maybe rocket did it for laugh or he did it for no reason at all and as usual us mortals take shit to heart and go double footed in the deep end.

you cant stop KOS so stop debating it. 2 years nearly of debating it and we still at the start lets stop the KOS vicious circle :D (waits for next thread tomorrow on KOS) :rolleyes:

i guarentee you this though ill KOS first person i see hopefully its a how to stop KOS thread maker. that would be double epic sandwich :lol:

dgeesio, on 09 Dec 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:dgeesio, on 09 Dec 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

KOS post shocker !

one more braincell just got deleted :lol:

sacreel was chosen probably as popular or rocket likes him. i watched the stream maybe rocket did it for laugh or he did it for no reason at all and as usual us mortals take shit to heart and go double footed in the deep end.

you cant stop KOS so stop debating it. 2 years nearly of debating it and we still at the start lets stop the KOS vicious circle :D (waits for next thread tomorrow on KOS) :rolleyes:

i guarentee you this though ill KOS first person i see hopefully its a how to stop KOS thread maker. that would be double epic sandwich :lol:

you are like the ring leader of the problem and a proud flag waver..

i hope Rocket finaly flips the switch in his mind and realizes that without rules/ or coding his baby is going to die out of the gates.. or simply have to be happy having nothing more then a DM along the coast game..

thres a reason why EVERY pve/pvp mix game has rules and areas with rules.. its cuz of people like you...

Edited by Siberian

no its cause you dont understand people play differently. rocket just wants to see how we play not govern us to play one way as there isnt one way of playing. no persons way is right or wrong its a choice.

just like many others you deem KOS wrong where as i dont. that is what so many cant get there head around its a point of view. you like your way i like mine. i dont mind admitting im a full blown bandit whats wrong with that ?

as mentoned even rocket did it in his latest stream yet you question me :lol:

just you play your way ill play mine just dont label people ways of playing s wrong as its close minded. ;)

• Like 1

Kos in general is the expression of the average gamer in Dayz-just like recons who camp towers/hills, and the ever present jet/chopper whores in BF3. People who play objective based game types like they are TDM in every FPS ever made would probably KOS without thinking every time in Dayz.. I still play BF3 from time to time and it is plagued by the same crap over and over-what should be the base game suffers because players just won't play an objective game with the objective in mind. Instead you have the majority parachuting onto cranes, or camping the hill with tanks, or hiding around one flag and so it is actually a tedious game. 

I don't mind KOS that much, but there are times when I recognize the similar kind of idiots that ruin BF3 doing the same thing in Dayz-yesterday I spawned on Namalsk and head toward the FOB to hopefully get some decent gear. Now I see a guy get shot as I am checking it before going in and I barely see two guys in the tower just waiting for people-say what you want about KOS, but there is no skill in sitting in an area like that using scoped weapons on players who can't see you. There isn't even a stat system in Dayz , so there is nothing to brag about either. Like I said, I am not against PVP per se, but if I want to play a pure PVP game I will load something that rewards skill and do my best to kill everyone instead of hiding in the dark waiting for blind players to come by. 

Having said that I expect PVP to be the main component of Dayz based on my experience with all the FPS games I have played. Some players just don't get that there is another way to play that is just as rewarding if not more so. Instead they will try to do what a player did when we saw each other and said "friendly"-he asked me to kill a couple of zeds and while I was doing it he tried to kill me from cover, after I put a few bullets into him he asked me not to kill him, which just made me want to kill him more....and I did. The funny thing about Dayz is that without PVP it isn't that much fun, but struggles to find meaning with it in.

2 things to do in dayz

1) Get loot

2) kill people

Once #1 is done whats left to do?

Don't blame kids

Don't blame the game

Don't blame the community

Don't blame the devs 

Blame the fact  that humans get bored .

KOS isin't going anywhere, it wll always stay with us. Its foolish to try to fight it, the best we can do is integrate it into the game properly.