SmashT

December Round-up: ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE SA

Well, if he says it will be DayS, then I better load my stam account with gold. Or maybe I just misunderstood, what he meant.

Anyways, I will be ready soon.

I dunno is it just me or does the whole "selecting people to pre-early release alpha test" outrage crack anyone else up?

I mean, shit Rocket it's your game do whatever you want.

It's very nice of you to ask for opinions, but damn dude do whatever you think will get you the best results.

• Like 3

totally rubbish imho. in all honesty, he shouldn't ask for such things. ppl simply have no idea and our community is pretty twisted. i think it was a legitimate idea and they should just do it. he makes life pretty difficult for himself.

Yeah you're actually right. I don't understand why people on reddit got upset by it anyway.

• Like 1

Didn't Hicks say that allowing streamers would speed up testing? so obviously speed up release. If so you whiners can go to hell, literally. Although it'll be funny justice if it does delay because of this. I want to see those immature people on reddit cry tears haha

• Like 3

Although it'll be funny justice if it does delay because of this.

It wasn't going to come out this year anyway.

^How would you like your humble pie?

With a glass of WHINE perhaps?

I feel fairly certain we will see the SA before the New Year.

If not I will wash down my humble pie with a glass of tears.

Edited by BioHaze

I hate to sound lazy but can someone briefly recap what the hell happened today? I'm confused by where there was an issue and why people were upset and how this affects testing?

It sounds like they just wanted to allow streamers to test and that was apparently a significant issue?

Hicks: How do you feel about expanded testing featuring established content providers?

Reddit/DayZ Forum: FUUUUUU GIVE GIVE GIVE, ME ME ME, FUUUUUU!!11@

Rocket: *(In charge of not being retarded) Will post Retarddit, I mean reddit today with his thoughts on why we all need counseling and possibly some news involving a games development.

• Like 7

Hicks: How do you feel about expanded testing featuring established content providers?

Reddit/DayZ Forum: FUUUUUU GIVE GIVE GIVE, ME ME ME, FUUUUUU!!11@

Rocket: *(In charge of not being retarded) Will post Retarddit, I mean reddit today with his thoughts on why we all need counseling and possibly some news involving a games development.

So they just want more people for testing? Why would anyone care?

And do you mean Rocket will be posting another update at some point today? 

The one thing the apologists need to recognize is that this was a divided issue. Rocket, by his own admission, was not in favor of this solution. Likewise, they had decided not to go this route long ago. The reason it was submitted to the community was to (hopefully) add a bit of clarity to that already divided issue.

So it's not like this awesome plan that they all agreed upon was scuttled by moronic Reddit posters. A divided issue was submitted to a divided community. Surprise, unexpected results occurred.

Edited by Katana67

The one thing the apologists need to recognize is that this was a divided issue. Rocket, by his own admission, was not in favor of this solution. Likewise, they had decided not to go this route long ago. The reason it was submitted to the community was to (hopefully) add a bit of clarity to that already divided issue.

So it's not like this awesome plan that they all agreed upon was scuttled by moronic Reddit posters. A divided issue was submitted to a divided community. Surprise, unexpected results occurred.

I'm still confused about what happened today then.

Wasn't the streamers testing thing referring to only allowing a limited amount of people (streamers, staff, other special selections) to test the ALPHA. Based on what I've been trying to understand, this was letting streamers in to expand pre-release testing. Which, to me, is different.

SO LOST.  

Yeah literally posted the quote a few posts up

• Like 1

Q: Will early access folks be allowed to upload to Youtube?

Yes, that will be allowed and encouraged. [source]

what about monetize them on youtube ?

Wasn't the streamers testing thing referring to only allowing a limited amount of people (streamers, staff, other special selections) to test the ALPHA. Based on what I've been trying to understand, this was letting streamers in to expand pre-release testing.

Rocket was worried about favoritism. That's what I got out of his statements and the pro/con information they put up with their reasoning.

The goal, as I understand it, was to allow streamers in to help bolster their numbers and (ostensibly) speed up testing. However, they'd have to be selective and Rocket was worried that folks would feel left out as it would set precedent.

I disagree with the idea of preferential treatment of streamers, not the idea that more people should be testing standalone prior to release.

I can't speak for the community itself, but personally, I'm with Rocket on this one. I don't care for streamers, I think they're highly overrated in terms of usefulness and contributions. Likewise, I don't want the precedent of favoritism to be hovering over the entire development cycle. That and I want the relatively un-biased masses to deliver their own honest feedback once the NDA is dropped and standalone has released. People tend to default to the opinions of popular streamers to shape their critiques, which is detrimental. I don't think streamers should have any advanced footing to shape those potential critiques on release.

So if the release comes a bit later because they didn't have swaths of streamers to help out, so be it. I'd rather that than have a community pre-disposed to certain "popular" interpretations on release.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 5

Yeah, it seems he will post to reddit with news for today.

It wasn't 100% clear what that will entail but we shall see I guess, we shall see....

• Like 1

Not sure how that sounded like whining...

I implied that if you do SA GET prior to years end you will likely be one of the whiners.

It was merely a projection of your attitude not reference to your post.

Rocket was worried about favoritism. That's what I got out of his statements and the pro/con information they put up with their reasoning.

The goal, as I understand it, was to allow streamers in to help bolster their numbers and (ostensibly) speed up testing. However, they'd have to be selective and Rocket was worried that folks would feel left out as it would set precedent.

I can't speak for the community itself, but personally, I'm with Rocket on this one. I don't care for streamers, I think they're highly overrated in terms of usefulness and contributions. Likewise, I don't want the precedent of favoritism to be hovering over the entire development cycle. That and I want the relatively un-biased masses to deliver their own honest feedback once the NDA is dropped and standalone has released. People tend to default to the opinions of popular streamers to shape their critiques, which is detrimental. I don't think streamers should have any advanced footing to shape those potential critiques on release.

So if the release comes a bit later because they didn't have swaths of streamers to help out, so be it. I'd rather that than have a community pre-disposed to certain "popular" interpretations on release.

That's an interesting discussion.

I agree to the extent that I don't care about streamers at all. But as far as favourites go why can't they pick whoever they want? It's their game, they should use whoever they want to test, whether it's friends/neighbours/family/staff/contributing community members. As long as they feel the crowd they have can contribute to testing then it doesn't affect the rest of us.

We don't deserve to be testing the pre-alpha by virtue of being alive and being on the DayZ forums or on reddit. It just seems like extreme jealousy to me if people feel "left out" in some way.

As far as the community being pre-disposed to popular ideas I also agree. I don't know, however, if having streamers giving people their interpretations shortly before release is really going to change things much. Either be pre-disposed to them now or be exposed to them when it's released, which feels like quite soon. In the long run does it really make a difference?

• Like 2

I implied that if you do SA GET prior to years end you will likely be one of the whiners.

It was merely a projection of your attitude not reference to your post.

OK then...

That's an interesting discussion.

I agree to the extent that I don't care about streamers at all. But as far as favourites go why can't they pick whoever they want? It's their game, they should use whoever they want to test, whether it's friends/neighbours/family/staff/contributing community members. As long as they feel the crowd they have can contribute to testing then it doesn't affect the rest of us.

We don't deserve to be testing the pre-alpha by virtue of being alive and being on the DayZ forums or on reddit. It just seems like extreme jealousy to me if people feel "left out" in some way.

As far as the community being pre-disposed to popular ideas I also agree. I don't know, however, if having streamers giving people their interpretations shortly before release is really going to change things much. Either be pre-disposed to them now or be exposed to them when it's released, which feels like quite soon. In the long run does it really make a difference?

They obviously have to pick favorites to some degree either way, like with some of the forum posters here that are testers. But my issue is with the criteria and motives, which are now cheapened by having to play favorites amongst streamers rather than just folks who exhibit interesting takes on things or who are just passionate about the project. If Rocket has qualms with picking favorites amongst streamers, then I don't really see eye to eye on that issue at all with him. In my opinion, streamers (or even just popular "personalities") shouldn't factor in to development any more than the average joe.

Just as we do not deserve to be testing by virtue of being on a forum, they do not deserve to be testing by virtue of being streamers. In fact, I'd submit that they are less deserving as they are openly motivated by popularity and in some cases, monetary gain. However, that's neither here nor there.

Streamers will undoubtedly shape the perceptions of their viewers, but I'm just saying that they should be on equal footing with the average player upon release. If they have time to build up their preconceptions, they'll have formed certain mental constructs on the standalone which may contribute to an already divided community. Likewise, these assessments (therefore based on pre-release testing) may not be accurate. So it may lead, in some instances as I've said previously, to a bit of "confirmation bias". Whereby a stream viewer sees a stream and hears a streamer's take on the standalone, then buys the standalone only to have these pre-disposed flaws/positives already in the back of their minds. So, for instance one could smugly say "See, Frankie was right... the zombies suck! WTF devs?" It just removes a potential layer of bias to the feedback given post-release if streamers are excluded.

Just to reiterate, I'm not against adding more folks to the testing team. Just not streamers, as they have a significant sway (right or wrong) over their audiences.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 3

I hope Frankie never goes near the SA in terms if streaming. Though I suppose it'll be hard for him once he can't hack gear in, in the SA

I hope Frankie never goes near the SA in terms if streaming. Though I suppose it'll be hard for him once he can't hack gear in, in the SA

this is bait son. but yeah, im sure he duped. but then again, everyone dupes. so why get angry about it?