SmashT

December Round-up: ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE SA

Some kind of currency would nice, similar or same as on epoch. That would bring more friendly and hostile encounters of players.

i think the idea is that players will come up with their own currency. like bullets or food or whatever. when there's no currency everything is currency.

• Like 2

I really do think, after the most of the bugs such as doppelgänger and maybe item disappearance, duplication aswell as big bugs that stem from that we may have a stable enough platform for a good alpha.

And you can tell from the way that Rocket is talking that he thinks it is high time for the alpher aswell.

In my opinion, I am not sure if this is shared with many others but I know it is with my friends that play DayZ. I don't care if I run at low fps or servers sometimes lag and games crash, I want to test the game! I enjoy DayZ no matter the bugs, even if I crash 5 times an hour I will still spend many many more hours on the game! Rubberbanding zombies? I'll get over it, dupers? Meh still rather be in the game than out of it...

• Like 3

Some kind of currency would nice, similar or same as on epoch. That would bring more friendly and hostile encounters of players.

Money only really works when you have law and order, hence the safe zones. I'm not really a fan of structured safe zones or markets where you can just buy anything you want. It's not that it makes a 'bad game' to play, it's just that I think it's a little bit too familiar, warm and cozy for a survival simulator. I like DayZ being brutally unfamiliar territory with no safe guards that forces you to take risk.

• Like 2

Cross-server characters seem necessary for certain gameplay mechanics. 

But Katana has a point.  Persistent items would be really hard to keep track of with multi-server characters.  

Rocket mentioned stashing loot in the apartment blocks but what would be the point if someone could just server hop and steal everything you hid.  There definately has to be barriers to changing server.

Disabling logging out and in inside buildings would be helpful.  Short 10min timeouts help too.  No one would wait ten minutes between their barracks runs.  

One man one stash only....if you die your stuff goes with you ...spawning on a new server should always be at the coast... things can be simple :-)

Dont forget they need to setup a massive amount of Servers with different hosters around the globe to get the alpha out. Wonder if that happens at the same time the last big bugs are fixed.

Imagine a alpha launch with not enough servers, that would be catastrophic. Just think about how the reddit community reacts to small issues ^^

So i think the release date is strongly bound to the amount of servers they get up in time.

Edited by Sloddor

One man one stash only....if you die your stuff goes with you ...spawning on a new server should always be at the coast... things can be simple :-)

why should spawning be at the coast? i dont see any issue with spawning you in at anywhere on the edge of the map.

He just means you shouldn't be spawning where you logged off on the previous server. Coast, map edge, wilderness, wherever. I like that idea. Server hopping to collect loot is a farce and needs to be stamped out one way or another.

• Like 6

also, i still have no idea why they've kept cherno at the coast. surely it would be more interesting gameplay wise to have to venture out to cherno, as looking at it on the stream, it's got to be by far the biggest city on the map. you can literally spawn at the biggest city. it would be so much more rewarding and exciting if the biggest city was in the middle of the map and you had to venture out to get to it. there would be far less random deathmatching because there is much more of a consequence if you die. you have walked all the way to the middle of the map and will have collected loot along the way, so every character will have something they value by the time they reach it. obviously it's far too far into development to simply move cherno up 5km north, but seriously it would be so much better. the cities have the most loot and are of course where people want to go there is nothing to go in search of once you've got there. if it's right at the coast where lots of people spawn in, then everyone is just going to stay there because it has the most loot and everyone else goes there. then we have deathmatch dayz again. i dont think anyone here wants that.

• Like 4

I also think server hopping should have repricussions. It would be a nightmare for server hoppers that if you are in a "team" and everybody from the team would spawn in different locations on the map.

However there still should not be any penalty if you server hop only once.

Like you log on one server and the server is bad (lags or whatever) and then you change server, because of it.

If you do the same thing twice then you and your team should spawn in different location.

In my opinion, I am not sure if this is shared with many others but I know it is with my friends that play DayZ. I don't care if I run at low fps or servers sometimes lag and games crash, I want to test the game! I enjoy DayZ no matter the bugs, even if I crash 5 times an hour I will still spend many many more hours on the game! Rubberbanding zombies? I'll get over it, dupers? Meh still rather be in the game than out of it...

this is a shared opinion, so many people just want it out.

Alpha is to be knowing what your signing up for.

I would definitely play it if I might occasionally lose items for whatever reason, or die because of a bug.

That's just alpha, I can't say it isn't going to be annoying/ upset me at times.

But at the end of the day I'm a tester and this is my punishment for having no patience.

He clears intends to fix this double character bug though.

• Like 1

also, i still have no idea why they've kept cherno at the coast. surely it would be more interesting gameplay wise to have to venture out to cherno, as looking at it on the stream, it's got to be by far the biggest city on the map. you can literally spawn at the biggest city. it would be so much more rewarding and exciting if the biggest city was in the middle of the map and you had to venture out to get to it. there would be far less random deathmatching because there is much more of a consequence if you die. you have walked all the way to the middle of the map and will have collected loot along the way, so every character will have something they value by the time they reach it. obviously it's far too far into development to simply move cherno up 5km north, but seriously it would be so much better. the cities have the most loot and are of course where people want to go there is nothing to go in search of once you've got there. if it's right at the coast where lots of people spawn in, then everyone is just going to stay there because it has the most loot and everyone else goes there. then we have deathmatch dayz again. i dont think anyone here wants that.

As Dean said, they will implement a character skill system (hell f*cking yes Dean!), so your character gets better and better the more he does something (similar to Skyrim or Project Zomboid). Right now they just planned to do this with medical treatment and so on. If you want to treat a wound, the first times you do this it could fail or you could do it wrong so it harms the player. The more viruses you survived, the better is your immune system. I hope he will implement a "repair" skill system etc. but that is unknown. Anyways, this character skill system will improve the value of the player and not some artificial distance he ran.

Edited by Wayze

As Dean said, they will implement a character skill system (hell f*cking yes Dean!), so your character gets better and better the more he does something (similar to Skyrim or Project Zomboid).

I was always under the impression the approach was real-life skills being usable ingame, not a skill 'level up' system.

Source please.

• Like 1

I was always under the impression the approach was real-life skills being usable ingame, not a skill 'level up' system.

Source please.

It was said in the last stream, I will search for when he said it. One sec...

http://de.twitch.tv/rocket2guns/b/485686449

1:24:00-1:25:00

There you got it. In the context of medical treatment, the more you do something the better you get. This will give value to the character (you want to keep him after you played a long time). Sure, real-life skills are useable in the game. But you can't tell me that "perfect" surgery is a real-life skill. You have to equire it, get better in it. I hate this unrealistic view that you could do everything in real life so you have to be able to do that in game. Bullsh*t, maybe 0.1% are capable of doing certain things, does that mean that everyone has to be able to do it? So, everyone should be as fast as the fastes person on earth and everyone should be able to build a space ship?

F*ck that...

42 players on now... Fingers crossed, hoping tonights the night...

Imo server hoping can be solved quite easy - if you log out within a building, you spawn somewhere OUTSIDE in, say, 500m radius, at random, if you repeat, delay, and again spawn outside, repeat with increased delays. So you cannot teleport into a baricaded romm, behind back, etc.

Have had some bad server experience as well, so I do believe central hive is a good idea

Ps: i do think Rocket mentioned there would be a possibility of password protected servers with private hives, so everyone will be able to choose their own style

• Like 1

Source please.

I really hope we don't get magically more accurate guns and stuff.

Or changing a tire not working half the time...

Edited by AP_Norris
  • Like 1

Imo server hoping can be solved quite easy - if you log out within a building, you spawn somewhere OUTSIDE in, say, 500m radius, at random, if you repeat, delay, and again spawn outside, repeat with increased delays. So you cannot teleport into a baricaded romm, behind back, etc.

Have had some bad server experience as well, so I do believe central hive is a good idea

Ps: i do think Rocket mentioned there would be a possibility of password protected servers with private hives, so everyone will be able to choose their own style

Even simpler. Like you said, just delay the time it takes to spawn.

Player spawned: if player loggs out of the server within 5 minutes, add delay of previous delay + 2 minutes, previous delay expires after previous delay time + 5 minutes

Player spawned B: if player loggs out of the server within 10 minutes, add 1 to counter, if counter is 3, add delay of previous delay + 5 minutes, previous delay expires after previous delay time + 5 minutes, counter expires after counter*10 minutes

Player spawns on server

player loggs out within 5 minutes, 2 minutes delay for spawning on new server

player loggs out within 5 minutes again, 4 minutes delay for spawning on new server

player loggs out within 5 minutes again, 6 minutes delay for spawning on new server

player logged out of server within 10 minutes 3 times in a row, 11 minutes for spawning on a new server

Server hopping solved. Ofcourse, all the numbers would have to be adjusted, so it works well without annoying innocent players.

Well, I hope we don't get characters with military training. And I hope we can't magically repair a helicopter. It's not only unrealistic, but also destroys alot of gameplay potential.

And what is about getting better in something magical? Are you capable of everything, mister?

Edited by Wayze
  • Like 1

Shooting weapons is allready dependant of player skill so it shouldn't be in this "skill system" rocket mentioned. at least thats how i see it.

• Like 1

i think the idea is that players will come up with their own currency. like bullets or food or whatever. when there's no currency everything is currency.

That already exists. Express bullet trade, you simple load your desired bullet of exchange into your prefered firearm and you "trade" directly with the player.

Currency would be sweet, maybe a stalker type shop

get out of here

• Like 2

just to keep things going and I am bored at work

#1 all the major cities should be near the water assuming you all care about immersion, almost all major cities IRL are near water ports since that was a major mode of transporation for goods/trade etc..., cities all sprung up around major ports.

#2 I fully agree with the opinion that you should respawn in the same spot you logged off when hopping servers.  However there should be a way to prevent that being abused.  You could possibly introduce a back off and wait algorithm based on how regularly a person is doing it.  If you are logging back in on another server for the first time since last week, then no penalty.  If you are logging back in from 30 seconds ago into another server there is a penalty (maybe you are forced to sit out a cool down period, maybe you can not pick up any new loot for 5 minutes) - if it is the 3rd time you've done so in 5 minutes the penalty escalates.  There are many ways to give players the conveanance of logging into whatever server they want and at the same time prevent malicious use of hopping.

and I also don't like in-game created trade shops and outposts, unless they are just non functioning prop locations - like the hospitals and such.  I don't like the NPC character driven trader center and so forth in the mods of dayz - someone said it well, let's players create their own if it evolves organically and never introduce currency - allow that to evolve organically as well - (aka players will invent currency and trading posts if it is meant to be)

42 players on now... Fingers crossed, hoping tonights the night...

I don't get why people keep hoping that every new day is the day SA is coming out.  I think Rocket would state in advance when it's coming out.

• Like 1

We'll get ragdoll soon! Ragdoll (almost) confirmed! WOOT!

[–]VvanderfellI DON'T NEGOTIATE WITH BANDITS -1 Punkte

4 hours ago

I really don't see why the ragdoll physics are important. In every game I've played with ragdoll physics, including Arma 3, it just looks and feels like the bodies are just falling 3D models. It's hard to describe, but the clothes don't move or ripple. They just fall lightly and it's a huge turn-off for me. Sure the movement in a game isn't as detailed as it could be, but at least it looks like a conscious decision made by the character I'm controlling. The animation is based off of real human movement. Not a really solid body falling to the ground like everything was plastered together and then given perfectly frictionless GI Joe action figure joints.

Regardless of my opinion on how it LOOKS, I say that this should be one of the last things that should be implemented. The actual functionality of the game is much more important IMO.

[–]rocket2gunsRocket [score hidden]

43 minutes ago

The main reason for ragdoll in DayZ is not bullets (objects don't look that great when shot, the bullet doesn't move the body much) - but melee based death and hits.

With our melee hit detection, we can move the body and its skeleton in very cool ways. So the ragdoll looks beautiful in this scenario.

Edited by Grabarz