raynor009

How to get rid of the kill on sight mentality? :(

Title says it all, I want to be a better DayZ player and not shoot everyone in the face. Any advice would be great.

Be strong, it can be done. Just stop shooting people when you see them. Try speaking to them. Dont be angry when it fails: remember that you are trying to quit KOSing. You should also find something to do instead of killing people and by that I mean some interactions that dont end up people getting killed. Thats all.

• Like 2

I tried robbing a couple people the other day, first time in, like, forever.

First time the guy charged me with a machete and I had to kill him.

Second time I told the guy to halt, he kept running... told him to stop, kept running... shot his knee out, he started crawling... "stop crawling", keeps crawling, "stop crawling!", keeps crawling, fired a warning shot, kept crawling, eventually just said "this is bullshit" and shot him.

To stop KOS you're going to have to first get people to cooperate when I want to hold them at gunpoint and steal all their hard-earned stuff.

• Like 7

to quote another member on another thread...

human is same like Pavlov dog for learn new behaviour ;)

example, meet survivor have talk no shoot fun next time you see guy you don't kill without think :)

meet player he kill you for no reason don't make sense, next player you meeting have big problem > :(

this behaviour spread like ripples in lake after you throw stone :o

trouble with humans brain is designed for remember bad experience more than good ones because bad experience teach us about danger and how we survive next time

so dayz is full with good guys who got shot for no reason now nature of human plus rage from death work together to create more human player doing same kill without think :huh:

also reward feel from win pvp reinforce message to player brain 'die is shit, kill is good' :thumbsup:  :D

so is normal after time most player good guys and bad guys decide shoot first

is never stop cycle of death and psychology of scared monkey mans :|

in his clumsy way he absolutely nails why kill on sight happens and why it will always happen, even by hero's and non bandit types.

• Like 1

I tried robbing a couple people the other day, first time in, like, forever.

First time the guy charged me with a machete and I had to kill him.

Second time I told the guy to halt, he kept running... told him to stop, kept running... shot his knee out, he started crawling... "stop crawling", keeps crawling, "stop crawling!", keeps crawling, fired a warning shot, kept crawling, eventually just said "this is bullshit" and shot him.

To stop KOS you're going to have to first get people to cooperate when I want to hold them at gunpoint and steal all their hard-earned stuff.

That last guy sounded fucking retarded to be honest.

I try to be friendly towards others I really do, but it seems like everyone I meet is a complete asshole and douchebag. And it pisses me off when I help somebody and as soon as I turn my back on them I get shot and loose everything I have worked so hard to get. And I'm not complaining that the game is harsh or anything cause otherwise I would have stopped playing it a looooong time ago. DayZ is all about the experience and surviving the zombie apocalypse in a hostile eviorment, and not some lame ass deathmatch game. Maybe what DayZ needs is an objective, because what do you really do in DayZ right now? Get items, get gun, go back to the coast, shoot freshspawns, die, respawn and repeat everything again. I wish this game had more mature players, and not so god damned many spoiled kids, that only know to shoot everyone and bitch about it when they die. And last but not least I fu*king I hate that kind of people who act tough on the side channel and not only. From where I come from there is a saying: "We are all tough between four walls and a keyboard". I swear this game gave me more headaches than any other I played so far.

Edited by raynor009

From where I come from there is a saying: "We are all tough between four walls and a keyboard". I swear this game gave me more headaches than any other I played so far.

I have a feeling a lot of the most hard core bandits in the game would pee themselves if involved in an actual fight and I am not talking about one with guns. I think a lot of my desire to avoid fights in a game such as this one comes from knowing that no one really every gets out of a fight unscathed. 

Title says it all, I want to be a better DayZ player and not shoot everyone in the face. Any advice would be great.

I know right. That would be so much better, if all KOS motives were reduced. And they would pick up techniques like Robbery and Slavery. That would be so much better. KOS is still an option keeping in mind. And I respect that but it's far too overused.

Ahh just play you however you want-no one is robbing me or turning me into a slave though. The other day I spawned in and while I was waiting for it to get dark I see three players coming my way. I know they are fairly recent spawns, so I don't mess with them, but I could have. Fortunately for them I wasn't in the mood for meaningless shenanigans. The irony was they came up the building I was on to retrieve the gear one of them  had lost. I tell them not to bother coming up to get anything-after some discussion I tell him to leave his weapon behind and he can get his gear. While I am watching him I back into the wall and magically go over it and die-losing all my gear. It was mildly funny, but if I had just shot them I would have been fine. Honestly if I am a new spawn I have nothing to lose to other players, if I have decent gear then I have far more to lose and maybe next time the players might get shot instead of warned. Is there a right way or just better ways? Personally the best way lets me keep my stuff. While I have met decent players by not shooting them I have also lost some nice gear by weighing the risk and delaying my actions until it was too late. Sometimes it is better to just shoot and move on if you have enough to lose. 

Just knock them out and while that hour glass is up, explain to them what you are and aren't going to die.

And take their weapons from their bag.

this is the end of the world guy.

guess what, everyone will try to kill you for what ever you got.  sheet is real.

so stop crying.

Somehow quote doesn't work anymore so...

@ Mercules

Sure some are tough until you threaten to hit them in the face. I don't want to fight either since i'm not that strong and i don't want to hurt people or get hurt, it was enough to persuade the guys that fighting isn't an option and if he wants to fight he won't get away without a scratch.

The fear of being hurt doesn't exist in DayZ therefor no one holds back, that's one of the problems causing KoS. I try to play like i would react IRL, some get shot and hopefully don't resort to KoS themselves some do and join the dark side ( which is a lot easier ). I don't have to close in at every gun shot i hear just to pop a bullet into the guy but sometimes even i get triggerhappy over someone acting very stupid ( f.e. running around on a server without care as he was all alone and playing catch with zeds, sometimes i try to help by shooting the zeds cornering them only to get counterfire, yeah sure if i wanted them dead they would be. Most of the times i shoot the zeds and run, i don't get closer to see if the guy is alive unconsious or bleeding to death, not enough balls for that yet but we already interacted with other players by giving them a ride or one time even a helo we just repaired and could spare ).

Edited by Enforcer

Be strong, it can be done. Just stop shooting people when you see them. Try speaking to them. Dont be angry when it fails: remember that you are trying to quit KOSing. You should also find something to do instead of killing people and by that I mean some interactions that dont end up people getting killed. Thats all.

Frytek, You make it sound like this guy is being weaned off of heroin, jesus christ...

Raynor, the one thing I will say is try and ingratiate yourself into a tight community that plays on a server, you probably wont shoot eachother as much i'm guessing. 

What helped me is do it more slowly.

Don't just fill 'em with bullets. First cripple them, slowly let them bleed out.

Give them hope in some way (morfine/bandages). And afterwards... Kill 'em.

No kill on sight, and it's more enjoyable.

I feel like this is deathmatch.  I really dont see the satisfaction of killing new spawns or unarmed ppl.  Cant you screw with them a little, tell them to drop all they have?  whats so rewarding about KoS?

Even if i get to sneak up on somebody ill scare the shit outta them and say either DONT MOVE or I AM FRIENDLY and usually they wont fire or try to run and BAM shot...  But i mean its like a damn warzone.  Maybe the zombies need to be scarier or more of a threat so ppl think twice about shooting.  I think this would be an amazing game if it wasnt for kids running around shooting dying and respawning and repeating.  So lame when agreat game is ruined by trolls.

even rocket doing kill on sight and he laugh like excited kid after :D

this don't stop never

is human nature to attack what they fear

and all human fear death, fear lose what they got ;)

dayz expose truth of us

we are scare and when we are scare we attack to survive, is more than human nature is nature of all life >:(

is time for accept and adapt

• Like 2

even rocket doing kill on sight and he laugh like excited kid after :D

this don't stop never

is human nature to attack what they fear

and all human fear death, fear lose what they got ;)

dayz expose truth of us

we are scare and when we are scare we attack to survive, is more than human nature is nature of all life > :(

is time for accept and adapt

You don't half chat some shite.

This scenario is outrageous....

Here I am about 1-2 hours into a game having survived both an elektro supply run and cherno supply run (not without it's close calls), when I make my way into a wooden house on my way to balota for some top tier gear. In the house is nothing special, when I peer out the window to make sure the coast is clear i see something a bit out of the ordinary.

I look to see a survivor with a rifle being chase by a bandit with a handgun. I watched for a while and picked up my 1866 and aimed it at the bandit. I take a few shots at him and eventually boom I get a headshot! Sweet! Just saved a survivor!! I feel good. Still weary I don't come out of the house until I direct chat him "yo I shot that guy trying to kill you! U can grab his gear and I'll take the rest, do u need any supplies or are u hurt?"

No answer...

I am sitting in a room looking out the doorway. He peaks in with his shotgun ready.. I move..

"Woh woh don't shoot! I got you buddy it's cool!"

No response.. I am moving back an forth and so is he.

"Bro don't shoot.... I saved you... I could have killed you to but I didn't man"

A gunshot through the doorway from his m10 shotty or whatcer....

"Wtf!!!"

-"oh sorry shooting at a zombie" he types in direct

"Ok I am coming out with my gun down, put ur gun down and we can work something out".

I come out and he is waiting with his gun up..

I run around him while he looks like he is steadying his aim for a shot...

"Stop man!!! Stop!!! I'm not gonna shoot!"

I run in circles and he follows.. He fires a few rounds still ignoring my pleas... I jump back into the house and get hit in the leg breaking it... He tried to finish me but I pop off a shot to the face...

"Idiot!!!! What's your problem!!! I am tryin to help!!!"

I loot him... I fix myself up back in the house and grab some of his crap... I make my way toward the bandit I killed when I see another survivor..

"Friendly bud don't shoot! I'll put my gun down"

Nope... I do the same game with him... But he gets me... And that's that...

It's people really... It's people that ruin what could be such a great experience... My loot wasn't great.... My pack wasn't big.. What's the point? KoS has certainly taken the fun out of this game for me and it's truly sad. If that guy told me to drop my weapon an my gear, I would have done it.... But na... KoS KoS... Sigh....

Play with friends you know IRL :D ok now what I do is: if he has bandit skin KoS, he killed others he will prolly kill you. If he is normal survivor ask him to stop and answer. If he does it, give him supplies(not guns) fix him up if needed etc. But if he keeps running(note: ARMED survivor) i shoot him

I never shoot unarmed survivors, you shouldn't either...

Hope that helps..

So far, of all the things I've earned in the past two weeks, I lost it all. The two helicopters, two vehicles, two tents, all the gear inside those tents, my character 5x at least.

I still want to be a good person in the game and realize there are going to be people who stay ignorant to the matter and KoS because of a bad confrontation some while ago.

Do you really think a fence keeps bad and good people out? It keeps honest people honest. The issue here is that there is nothing that truly tells people to stay honest apart from a skin and some frowning upon by the community. I think the ante needs to be upped more. Not where being a bandit is as difficult as sleeping with Kate Upton, but there is a much more clearer line from someone who a. kos for fun b. doesn't truly kos but kills and steals c. someone who kills in self defense d. a neutral survivor e. someone who is helpful but not truly heroic f. a straight up hero.

At least those are some of my concepts.

Kind of what Gesundheit said.  There needs to be incentive not to just KoS and take things without worry.  If you just make being a bandit harder, people just see it as a challenge.  If you give people a tangible reason to interact with others or even just rob over KoS, it would be better.

They've been making decent steps in SA with things like the gear damage system, but yes, we do need more.  I don't think we can do much in the mod however, apart from taking it upon ourselves to not KoS and show random people that you can talk to others and walk away better off.

Edited by (TMW)HerrJon

It's easy to score upton?? I can see it now that she is a fatty

A woman is a woman, my friend.