Abolition

DayZ is Dead in all its forms(We can do something about this)

There are so many different forms of DayZ now Origins, Epoch, Overwatch, DayZero etc.

They are all fun but they all have one fundamental flaw the players.

For me teaming up if great fun, getting shot in the back while looting or climbing a ladder is not (Thats what Wasteland is for). Now some versions promote KoS with lots of military, That's fine for those who like to play that style of DayZ. But for those that play DayZ  to team up, fix a car and go looting the KoS players ruin it and no matter what version I play its always the same who see's who first.

I know some of you will say " Harden up" or "Go play on a PvE server". Don't get me wrong I like the PvP in DayZ it add's alot of excitement to the game( We all remember the heart pumping gun battles when you first start ), The main problem is no one talks at all. It use to be that you shot someone because they posed a genuine threat to you and your gear ( once you had some good gear ) or because you wanted their gear (meaning you had crap gear)

Now its just I've got shit gear he's got shit gear lets shoot each other or I've got good gear im gonna shoot the guy running around with a makorov.

Alot of Dev's and Admins have tried to find ways to promote team work but nothing seems to work for very long. This is always going to be an issue even with the standalone and I personally don't think it can be fixed in game, The thing that needs to change is people's attitude towards what DayZ is. People use the excuse everyone KoS so i have to, otherwise they will just kill me ( Thats fair enough i say it aswell ).

As a a gaming community we need to be working towards changing this not just the Dev's and Admins there is only so much they can do.

So please join me in this discussion and help bring DayZ back to life

Cheers for reading and i look forward to any and all feed back.

• Like 1

You're trying to correct a problem that doesn't actually exist. As nice as it is to wish to do something positive, what you're suggesting really isn't necessary.

• Like 5

I let a guy with a makarov shelter in the school where I was looting, I had good loot and a hero skin. Way better armed than him. I bloodbagged him and took out the zombies with an SD makarov. He thanked me then asked if he could have the unlabled food can on the floor. I said sure and turned around to cover the door. Bang. He shot me in the head. He wasn't a bandit or a hero, just a survivor, I asked why would he do that over side chat and his response was "lolnoob welcome 2 dayz". I still don't let it stop me helping fresh spawns but I did make half my characters on other servers bandits to help channel my anger. The DayZRP server is good as you can PvP but you get banned for KoS'ing, players must interact and have a backstory. It is very fun!

• Like 2

It isn't a problem! Most players are friendly if you play carefully. Surprise them and make them drop their weapons.

It's as easy as that.

It isn't a problem! Most players are friendly if you play carefully. Surprise them and make them drop their weapons.

It's as easy as that.

That's what i do sometimes when they are armed to the teeth and ghillied up...they are so surprised they die from the shock...of the impact. :lol:

I normally have no intention of hunting a fresh survivor or let's say both a fresh player and a player who just died unless i am attacked by them.

No matter how hard you try; no matter how much you post...you cannot fix the "problem".

• Like 1

I do understand there are still friendly players around but i haven't seen it in a very long time. Maybe i'm just dwelling on the past to much, on how it use to be. Maybe I've just had really bad luck with the player's I've been incountering.

TheRedScare has a prime example of the kind of attitude i'm talking about the "This is Dayz" Attitude i come across almost everytime i play.

I am glad to hear that other people are still trying to play friendly :)

Well 'back in the day' when we had a small army going on (120 clan members) we covered a lot of servers and 'dissuaded' people from KOSing

Was far more fun hunting those few bandits that stuck around on our servers, they made it a challenge and gave us good people to protect

The whole 'we have to kill everybody' appproach was just plain boring, we knew the outcome and decided to change things

We had plenty of traitors, bandits infiltrating us and hackers in our ranks we had to weed out so there never was a dull day and we would get into firefights daily as well as recruit friendlies and make friends

It was the hackers that got us in the end, we lost pretty much everyone due to hackers screwing with us, not because it couldn't be done

All the people who say it can't be changed only say it because:

1. They don't want there to be less pvp

2. They have never been part of something in the game and seen it make a difference, so they refuse to believe it

• Like 4

You're trying to correct a problem that doesn't actually exist. As nice as it is to wish to do something positive, what you're suggesting really isn't necessary.

Nail on the head. Beans for you.

Nobody would suggest that you harden up, simply that this sort of behavior WILL harden you up. If everyone went arm in hands, people would start complaining about the lack of action on the servers.

Find a community. A good one. This way, you are more likely to run into the same people, who will remember (and be remembered for) actions to and from certain players. In a random server, it's more like "I've never seen this guy before and I will never see him again", but in a community it's "These are the people I have chosen to be around." There will still be PvP, just not as much RDMing.

Also keep in mind that not all kills are RDM.

• Like 1

All the people who say it can't be changed only say it because:

1. They don't want there to be less pvp

2. They have never been part of something in the game and seen it make a difference, so they refuse to believe it

Kind of like that...the people who tried to make a difference and who didn't KoS all day/at all due to rules of engagement they set up for themselves were the ones who got flamed the most and the ones who mostly took the beating from the KoSing minority without retaliating and for that they even got more beating...i remember those days in Sahrani Life. I didn't have anything against pvp and will never have, it just has to stay within reason. "I am a serialkiller" or "I felt threatened because the cop was standing next to me so i shot him" doesn't count.

Edited by Enforcer

I'm not going to argue that there's still too much KoS behaviour in DayZ - I believe pretty strongly that something needs to change in the way the game is played in order to provide a 'downside' to the murderer playstyle that's becoming increasingly prevalent. I've discussed this at length in other threads, so I don't really want to repeat it all here, but before Dgeesio jumps in and starts spouting his usual stuff, I'd like to clarify that I don't want to see the KoS playstyle punished - it's a valid way of playing the game, and it's thematically appropriate. I'd simply like to see changes made that would make it less easy to do as effectively as it is now.

Anyway, that's not actually the reason for the post - the main point I wanted to make is thus: 95 times out of 100, if you die in DayZ, it's because you weren't careful enough and/or you made a mistake. Maybe you moved too suddenly and a zombie spotted you and broke your legs, or maybe you didn't check out the area around the supermarket before heading in and got sniped, or maybe you just made a snap judgement on a player's intentions and made the wrong call. All of those deaths lay at the feet of the player in control.

Let's be honest - we're all now very aware that DayZ is becoming a very hostile environment, yet every day you see a story where someone trusted a player they'd never ever met before enough to turn their back on him while he's armed... I don't care what kind of playstyle you adopt, in a game like DayZ with someone you don't know, that is a spectacularly dumb move.

So it's a kind of non-committal answer from me - on one hand, I do want to see something done to make KoS a little more difficult to do effectively (the obvious first thing to try would be reducing the amount of ammo available), but on the same note, I still want DayZ to be tough enough to punish people for making stupid mistakes - it's the only way we learn, after all!

• Like 3

No matter how hard you try; no matter how much you post...you cannot fix the "problem".

KOS anyone ?

its not a game mechanic as said hundreds of times. watch walking dead and that kinda shows what really happens and what needs to be done if you want to survive. whether its cruel or you dont like it. if you arnt going to do those things you are over :)

you only have to look at wars and religon to see we dont work together ;)

forcing people to do somethnig they dont want to do is a stupid option snd often makes more rebel than confirm to "your " view on whats right. making dayz a fluffy bunny world which it isnt would make this game a joke even worse than warZ.

Edited by dgeesio
  • Like 2

Right, Dgeesio, I'll respond to you once and only once in this thread, as every time I've done it before, you've not listened and gone on and spouted the same stuff every time, and I don't want this thread to dissolve into that.

NO ONE SENSIBLE IS GENUINELY SUGGESTING THAT THERE SHOULD BE ANY WAY OF "FORCING" PEOPLE NOT TO KoS. NO-ONE.

The vast, vast majority of sensible DayZ players acknowledge that KoS is a perfectly valid way of playing the game and don't mind it in moderation. The problem a lot of people have with it at the moment is that it's too easy for people to just grab a gun and run round Elektro shooting anything that moves, and people would like to see a few things changed to make it a less 'dominant' playstyle - it's difficult to argue that it's currently a very 'easy' way to play DayZ. You spawn, you find a weapon, you shoot lots of people, you die. Rinse and repeat. As I said above, reducing the (rather abundant) amount of ammo could (not would, note!) perhaps achieve this - if a player still wants to KoS but only has 5 Lee Enfield rounds left, he's going to be a little bit more careful with those bullets, as once they're gone it might take him quite a while to find some more.

Also, in unrelated news, using The Walking Dead as an example of 'what really happens' is... yeah. You do know it's a TV show, right?

Edited by Target Practice
  • Like 6

Day z is dead? Someone better tell the 3000+ server owners out there.....  :rolleyes:

NO ONE SENSIBLE IS GENUINELY SUGGESTING THAT THERE SHOULD BE ANY WAY OF "FORCING" PEOPLE NOT TO KoS. NO-ONE.

Agreed

Day z is dead? Someone better tell the 3000+ server owners out there.....  :rolleyes:

The title means what DayZ use to be for me, but from this thread and peoples feed back I am realising that it's not as bad as it seems and there are things i can do to change my experience like

Finding a good community which i have been part of some really good ones in the past, just sadly the servers died and I wont argue the fact that it's easy to get lazy and not check an area properly, and it will always be a big risk trusting people you haven't met or played with before.

and at the end of the day risk is a huge part of Dayz, It's what makes it fun.

I'm am surprised by the feed back, I think I expected more negitive replies.

:)

Right, Dgeesio, I'll respond to you once and only once in this thread, as every time I've done it before, you've not listened and gone on and spouted the same stuff every time, and I don't want this thread to dissolve into that.

The vast, vast majority of sensible DayZ players acknowledge that KoS is a perfectly valid way of playing the game and don't mind it in moderation. The problem a lot of people have with it at the moment is that it's too easy for people to just grab a gun and run round Elektro shooting anything that moves, and people would like to see a few things changed to make it a less 'dominant' playstyle - it's difficult to argue that it's currently a very 'easy' way to play DayZ. You spawn, you find a weapon, you shoot lots of people, you die. Rinse and repeat. As I said above, reducing the (rather abundant) amount of ammo could (not would, note!) perhaps achieve this - if a player still wants to KoS but only has 5 Lee Enfield rounds left, he's going to be a little bit more careful with those bullets, as once they're gone it might take him quite a while to find some more.

Also, in unrelated news, using The Walking Dead as an example of 'what really happens' is... yeah. You do know it's a TV show, right?

you do know this is a game right ?

all you are doing by reducing ammo which isnt the issue here and you know that is just delaying the inevitable !

so instead of 10 rounds i have 5 , you still are going to die if i one shot you with the lee enfield. if it takes me 5 minutes extra to get the right shot so what ? you still dead regardless. ammo isnt the issue ! i just say how it is in game. i played probably 2000 hrs plus of this game and i play on everything from small to big servers and it doesnt matter whether server is friendly or not as soon as one person kills then it spreads.

you dont change the server then its over ! noone trusts anyone and it doesnt matter if you have a bottle opener they still gunna kill you with it.

i used walking dead as a example as this game does use some of the same ideas lets not lie here. im not saying its the inspiration but alot of ideas do relate. also people can see people struggle and without relevant real life zombie slaying experience which i know you dont have :lol: so you are talking out your ass.

thing is what you can see in real life or media is humans dont do well in situations of war or drama and often the simplest answer is the only answer when it comes down to the wire.

look at animals stalking prey if its worth the risk they kill em. they ll wait they work out a basic strategy and then go for it.

in dayz if i have five bullets rather than 20 all that means is i cant miss as much not i wont kill as much ! 5 bullets will still 5 people just as 20 will kill five people if im just not as focused. so changing ammo will not lessen kos just make people camp more slower and make the game a campfest.

the actual loot system is what kills most people. and rockets just added even more ! so now you have perishable and damage added the kos is going to go up ! not down :lol:

you and those who scream about KOS  just cant get your head around it will not stop unless the whole game is redesigned and forces people not to kill and that will kill the game its self as its not fun , realistic or anythnig other than false. ;)

look at Dayz , look at its setting !

apocolyptic zombie survival ! ^_^  its a survival game ! start surviving and stop bla bla about KOS. you adapt to the situation at hand if you cant control it and you cant !!!! control KOS. if you dont like KOS dont do it ! you wont force people to not do it so why keep making we must stop kos it wont ever ever change.

Edited by dgeesio

It depends what you want from a game. Most people are lazy smacktards who think shooting a new spawn in the back is somehow fun. Personally, I find that to be asinine. There's zero challenge in shooting an unarmed player and it's about the the most cock sucking thing you can do but, if people wanna look like cock suckers....

I'd much rather get into a firefight when I have some good gear worth losing, where all that time and effort and work could be lost, in the hands of someone else, where you have to fight to keep it. When you're with your mates and you're fighting another group, coordinating with each other trying to gain the advantage. Where you approach locations like they're objectives, moving up tactically, covering your angles, getting in as quickly as you can, being able to just glance at a loot pile and know whether it's worth grabbing it or rushing by it.

To anyone who plays like that, does anybody else think we're even remotely interested in shooting someone in the back over a can of beans in the supermarket?

• Like 2

you just made your point mute by not acknowledging that people will play differently from your own way.you called them cock suckers why ? because they play differently to you !

the game evolves as its played KOS is part of the game. it evolved through the game itself and how players choose to play. maybe people who dont shoot KOS are " cock suckers "

you just made your point mute by not acknowledging that people will play differently from your own way.you called them cock suckers why ? because they play differently to you !

the game evolves as its played KOS is part of the game. it evolved through the game itself and how players choose to play. maybe people who dont shoot KOS are " cock suckers "

Did I say people who KOS? No, try brushing up on your reading comprehension skills before you reply again. I specifically stated fresh spawns and shooting people in the back. Yes it falls under those who KOS obviously, but I was pretty fucking clear in pointing out what I meant and no, they aren't cock suckers because they play differently, they are cock suckers because of the attitude they have towards playing.

Don't bother responding to dgeesio

He will just keep repeating the same thing over and over until you go insane

Seeing as in the post he actually quoted it says they aren't trying to force anything then dgeesio goes on about how you can't force people to play that way and then he goes on about how you can't stop KOS when clearly he just quoted it himself someone saying they don't want to stop people KOSing......

I give up

He's just looking for something to argue about

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior

-snip-

i used walking dead as a example as this game does use some of the same ideas lets not lie here. im not saying its the inspiration but alot of ideas do relate. also people can see people struggle and without relevant real life zombie slaying experience which i know you dont have :lol: so you are talking out your ass.

Sorry feller, you're using TWD as an example of 'what things would really be like' because a lot of ideas are similar? I dunno if you noticed, but there's a whole shit-ton of zombie media out there at the moment - we're knee deep in the stuff, but apparently you singled out TWD is 'what things would really be like' because... why exactly? Because it's the only other zombie-related media out there? Because you like the idea of the Daryl Dixon-esque badass who isn't above killing to survive, and you figured that therefore you'd be just freaking like him if you run round on a game shooting people you've never met for reasons you can't adequately explain?

The best part about this whole argument is that you're using The Walking Dead to support your argument that people's natural instinct is to kill each other to survive, but other than some occasional inter-group hostility, as far as I can tell, the show is more about the relationships between the group, who -strangely enough- didn't shoot each other in the face the first time they saw each other, despite having plenty of reasons to.

Yet apparently I'm the one talking out of my ass. Congratulations buddy, you just became the inaugural member of my ignore list. You refuse to listen to any arguments other than your own, the arguments you do make are incoherent and at absolute best bear only a passing resemblance to fact or common sense, and you absolutely, positively cannot stand to think just for a second that maybe you've grasped the wrong end of the stick and that there are people looking for the middle ground rather than seeking to commit some unspeakable evil upon you by nerfing your preferred playstyle.

Thanks for the conversation.

Edited by Target Practice
  • Like 2

For me it's more of a rush trying to hold someone up and in the reverse hearing that voice over direct chat, it's that oh shit moment. Just from saying something over direct anything can happen but if i just straight out shoot someone that's it their dead, that's not very exciting.

Obviously this can't always be the case

it is still fascinating for me, how people can claim that they only kill because that' what other people would do to them. 

On one hand, they defend themselves against it being immoral, without anyone ever having challenged that, showing that they obviously are aware of the fact that it is not the right thing to do, but then steal themselves away from having to deal with the problem by giving shallow excuses, pretending that they just don't want to be the victim, so they take action. 

In the end, it's being afraid of taking the risk and lying to themselves about the reasons for their actions. 

I am only saying "they" because I don't like to point out names but to return the walking dead reference: Almost everyone who was out just for killing is dead by now. Those who worked together in groups and only killed when absolutely necessary are still alive. If you got it differently, you might have watched a different show. People who only looked out for themselves got killed. People who cared for others, got saved. Only people who are weak, try to act strong.

Don't bother responding to dgeesio

He will just keep repeating the same thing over and over until you go insane

Seeing as in the post he actually quoted it says they aren't trying to force anything then dgeesio goes on about how you can't force people to play that way and then he goes on about how you can't stop KOS when clearly he just quoted it himself someone saying they don't want to stop people KOSing......

I give up

He's just looking for something to argue about

LOl thanks! I'm well versed in his/her style of basically coming up with a total non argument, non sequiturs or straw men, it was mainly for the other people here that can read and understand English in case they were confused ;)