rocket

Quick status update for week 8 November

Ohh i see i thought it was completely finished.

Thanks mate.

I look at it like this, the whole games a work in progress, it'll be a long time before anything can be considered completely finished.

All part of the fun of being involved in an Alpha.

• Like 3

To be involved with the Alpha. That would be neat....

If we have chainsaws, I must assume we will be seeing dismemberment/beheading?

If we have chainsaws, I must assume we will be seeing dismemberment/beheading?

Nah, I doubt the engine will actually support that. Games like Metal Gear Rising, etc, pretty much build their engines around that feature. It's not that easy to just "tack on".

Edited by CapricornOne
  • Like 1

Playing with up to 400ms of latency doesn't sound like a fun experience

It isn't true latency. Just update ticks. For example, you go to pick up a can of beans. even at 5 ticks per second, that means it takes 200 ms to recognize that you have picked up a can of beans. It does not in any way affect you rendering fps of that animation. Similar for walking. The server doesn't need to know exactly where you are in terms of rendering, only in terms of simulation. I think we all need to calm down about the fps until we see the actual game. Testers say it already performs better than the mod.

Let me provide an example. You see this:

I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I 

Server sees this.

I      I      I     I     I     I

Edited by SalamanderAnder

For example, you go to pick up a can of beans. even at 5 ticks per second, that means it takes 200 ms to recognize that you have picked up a can of beans.

That's exactly what latency means

Coupled with an average ping of 100ms to 200ms, 5 ticks / second would result in an awful and unresponsive experience

Edited by Elo

That's exactly what latency means

It has already been established by precedent in both this game and other video games that 5-15 server fps is sufficient, anything above that is actually rather incredble. Latency is connection lag. That's how long it actually takes the tick to reach you. It doesn't change the ticks per second, and they don't change your fps. Minecraft servers can generally only accomplish a maximum of 20 spfs (server frames per second). Wasteland servers already work of 5 sfps. I don't see your point here.

It has already been established by precedent in both this game and other video games that 5-15 server fps is sufficient, anything above that is actually rather incredble. Latency is connection lag. That's how long it actually takes the tick to reach you. It doesn't change the ticks per second, and they don't change your fps. Minecraft servers can generally only accomplish a maximum of 20 spfs (server frames per second). Wasteland servers already work of 5 sfps. I don't see your point here.

There are so many factual errors in that post I won't even bother

Do you realize that 5 updates per second can, worst case, result in a server side latency of 400 ms. That's almost half a second. And that's without the actual "ping"

Having to play with a reaction time of 600 ms is not fun. And wasteland certainly is a bad example for a responsive game

Edited by Elo

There are so many factual errors in that post I won't even bother

Do you realize that 5 updates per second, can, in a worst case scenario, mean a server side latency of 400 ms. That's almost half a second. And that's without the actual "ping"

Having to play with a reaction time of 600 ms is not fun. And wasteland certainly is a bad example for a responsive game

Which is why they aren't releasing until they can get an average performance of 15 server fps.

:facepalm:

Which is why they aren't releasing until they can get an average performance of 15 server fps.

:facepalm:

You were arguing that even 5 ticks / s are fine

Edited by Elo

All I'm pointing out is that that is the kind of server performance we are dealing with right now! Jesus you are fucking thick.

No. You were literally saying that 5 ticks /s are sufficient.

No. You were literally saying that 5 ticks /s are sufficient.

Clearly it is as people play DayZ servers which can only do 5 server fps at times, and we deal with it now don't we? Besides, the point here is that rocket does not find that sort of performance acceptable for release. Read the OP. Your point is moot because what you are arguing for is the minimum for release. What more do you want?

• Like 2

Clearly it is as people play DayZ servers which can only do 5 server fps at times, and we deal with it now don't we? Besides, the point here is that rocket does not find that sort of performance acceptable for release. Read the OP. Your point is moot because what you are arguing for is the minimum for release. What more do you want?

What does this have to do with anything

You said that 5 fps are sufficient for game servers

I said that's bullshit

That's all that has happened here

Even rocket said that the game does not properly work at 5 ticks / second

What does this have to do with anything

You said that 5 fps are sufficient for game servers

I said that's bullshit

That's all that has happened here

Even rocket said that the game does not properly work at 5 ticks / second

It functions, and it does happen in DayZ right now. Some impatient people would argue that is enough to constitute an alpha release. Like you just said, that is below the teams performance expectations anyway. Again, what more do you want? The point that 5 server fps is functional does not take away from the fact that 15 server fps is more than sufficient, and that is the goal. Again, you seem to be making no point whatsoever and simply complaining about issues that are currently being worked on as we speak.

It functions, and it does happen in DayZ right now. Some impatient people would argue that is enough to constitute an alpha release. Like you just said, that is below the teams performance expectations anyway. Again, what more do you want? The point that 5 server fps is functional does not take away from the fact that 15 server fps is more than sufficient, and that is the goal. Again, you seem to be making no point whatsoever and simply complaining about issues that are currently being worked on as we speak.

It has already been established by precedent in both this game and other video games that 5 [...] server fps is sufficient

I don't know how I can make this any clearer

This is about you saying 5 server fps are sufficient. Which is obviously not true.

Edited by Elo

I don't know how I can make this any clearer

Ok, here you go.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sufficient

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/functional

So if 5 sfps is enough to be functional, is it not sufficient? Your performance requirements are based on the magnitude of that sufficiency. The dev team wants 15 sfps average minimum. What does it matter what I say? Am I a developer of this game? NO. Really my opinion doesn't matter much in the way of what is or isn't sufficient, because the dev team has their own standards. What part of this is hard for you?

Ok, here you go.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sufficient

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/functional

So if 5 sfps is enough to be functional, is it not sufficient? Your performance requirements are based on the magnitude of that sufficiency. The dev team wants 15 sfps average minimum. What does it matter what I say? Am I a developer of this game? NO. Really my opinion doesn't matter much in the way of what is or isn't sufficient, because the dev team has their own standards. What part of this is hard for you?

What

You said 5 server fps are sufficient

5 server fps are not sufficient

Therein lies my problem

It isn't even "functional". The zombies do not properly function at 5 sfps, neither does fluid and responsive gameplay

Edited by Elo

What

You said 5 server fps are sufficient

5 server fps are not sufficient

Therein lies my problem

It isn't even "functional". The zombies do not properly function at 5 sfps

Yeah, not in the standalone. In the mod they do, because simulation occurs on the client. So clearly the SA has slightly more demanding needs to complete the server side simulation. That is the problem the team is working on right now. You argue in circles!

Yeah, not in the standalone. In the mod they do, because simulation occurs on the client. So clearly the SA has slightly more demanding needs to complete the server side simulation. That is the problem the team is working on right now. You argue in circles!

So now you are admitting that 5 fps are not sufficient

I am arguing in circles because you constantly change your point and keep contradicting yourself

Edited by Elo

So now you are admitting that 5 fps are not sufficient

I am arguing in circles because you constantly change your point and keep contradicting yourself

"A couple of weeks ago the server was running constantly at about 5 FPS, and still functioning with the only main problem being rubberbanding zombies." - rocket

Does this answer your question? functioning at 5 fps. Only minor issues. Dayz mod is different from DayZ SA. Ect. Must we go further with this ridiculous argument?

Another "Rocket" themed song, this one with an apocalyptic theme.

http://youtu.be/5zWDa9NT88E

Rocket saves.

I am very much looking forward to the end of all speculation and the dawn of a new era on DayZ forum.

I don't think we will see another "state of the alpher" address like this until it's happened.

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 2

"A couple of weeks ago the server was running constantly at about 5 FPS, and still functioning with the only main problem being rubberbanding zombies."

Does this answer your question? functioning at 5 fps. Only minor issues. Dayz mod is different from DayZ SA. Ect. Must we go further with this ridiculous argument?

Now you changed your point again. One post ago you admitted that 5 sfps are in fact not enough. Now you again say that they are. Make up your mind

And how does rocket's quote support your (current, I assume you will again have a different opinion next post) point in any way? He's clearly saying that 5 fps are not sufficient for the server to properly work

Must we go further with this ridiculous argument?

Don't know about you, but I'm having quite a fun time

Edited by Elo

Now you changed your point again. One post ago you admitted that 5 sfps are in fact not enough. Now you again say that they are. Make up your mind

And how does rocket's quote support your (current, I assume you will again have a different opinion next post) point in any way? He's clearly saying that 5 fps are not sufficient for the server to properly work

Don't know about you, but I'm having quite a fun time

I'm not changing my position on anything, my position is informed by that quote and the factual reality of server performance as it is in the mod. It has nothing to do with the requirements for the SA, and we must also keep in mind that server fps is variable so it's really pointless to split hairs over these numbers when they do not remain constant from moment to moment. Just because glitches exist doesn't mean the game suddenly "doesn't work." It just means it functions below their requirements from performance. You keep dying to prove me wrong when I have only been telling you the reality of the situation. yeah, 400 ms response time doesn't sound ideal - but that does not mean the game suddenly unravels itself and crashes. It still functions, albeit with hiccups. This game has had hiccups for a long time and honestly, we should be used to them. Even still, the team does not want that kind of performance.

How can make this clearer for you? My views and opinions are not necessarily indicative of the team's views. They want 15 sfps average. Their words, not mine. You won't be playing a DayZ SA server with 5 fps. Neither on the client or server. Case closed. 

I'm not changing my position on anything, my position is informed by that quote and the factual reality of server performance as it is in the mod. It has nothing to do with the requirements for the SA, and we must also keep in mind that server fps is variable so it's really pointless to split hairs over these numbers when they do not remain constant from moment to moment. Just because glitches exist doesn't mean the game suddenly "doesn't work." It just means it functions below their requirements from performance. You keep dying to prove me wrong when I have only been telling you the reality of the situation. yeah, 400 ms response time doesn't sound ideal - but that does not mean the game suddenly unravels itself and crashes. It still functions, albeit with hiccups. This game has had hiccups for a long time and honestly, we should be used to them. Even still, the team does not want that kind of performance.

How can make this clearer for you? My views and opinions are not necessarily indicative of the team's views. They want 15 sfps average. Their words, not mine. You won't be playing a DayZ SA server with 5 fps. Neither on the client or server. Case closed. 

Jesus Christ

Just be clear

Do you think 5 fps are sufficient, knowing that the server does not properly work at that performance level and gameplay is far from optimal.

Not functional, sufficient. Functionality was never even a point of this argument until you brought it up for some reason

Yes or No.

Edited by Elo

Jesus Christ

Just be clear

Do you think 5 fps are sufficient, knowing that the server does not properly work at that performance level and gameplay is far from optimal.

Not functional, sufficient. Functionality was never even a point of this argument until you brought it up for some reason

Yes or No.

It doesn't matter what I think. We are talking about reality. The reality is that neither one of us has played the SA, so making a snap judgment based on a few performance bugs that we have no experienced is pretty pointless now isn't it?

• Like 3