hairylemon

Adding .50s Back In

I live in a region where everyone has one firearm or other tucked away somewhere. There is a plausible explanation for the As-50 and M107 in Chernarus. During the Chernarussian Civil-War United States Marines were deployed in the region, along with the British Armed Forces who both use As-50's and M107's. However, I must agree that these weapons are extremely OP and impractical given the apocalyptic situation. 

Russian bolt action .50 wouldnt be OP and would still feel nice. KSVK for example.

• Like 1

I live in a region where everyone has one firearm or other tucked away somewhere. There is a plausible explanation for the As-50 and M107 in Chernarus. During the Chernarussian Civil-War United States Marines were deployed in the region, along with the British Armed Forces who both use As-50's and M107's. However, I must agree that these weapons are extremely OP and impractical given the apocalyptic situation. 

Brits were never there, they were in Takistan. The USMC force recon teams played the major role in the campaign, so far nobody from razor team carried a .50 and i would bet my money neither did the other spec ops teams.

• Like 1

I must say, it's a neat idea, but it would clearly come with its problems. I was talking about this with some friends, and we thought, with an item so rare, it would be an extreme novelty item. That would cause lots of problems. Once people got these items, I know lots of people would just buy a separate copy of the game, and play on that, keeping the item safe and sound on another account.

This would also cause problems of people trading these items for anywhere from hundreds, to thousands of dollars (no joke).

Not to mention the kid in Asia a while back, whom was stabbed to death by his friend after he sold an extremely rare sword from their favorite game.

Hmmm interesting points.

I suppose there would have to be a timer so that if an ultra rare item is stagnant for a great length of time it disappears.

I didn't even consider your last pointerswhereby someone could sell an item for real money or people would get so attached to an item they could rage until they hurt someone.  Those are alien thoughts to me.

As for 50 cals being completely out of place in DayZ don't other armies - Czech/Russian etc have these sorts of weapons as well?

• Like 1

Kind of like between the 5.56 and .223 pressure wise or is it more a mechanical issue?

It's both. The 7.62 chamber cannot handle the pressure of a .308, but the .308 chamber CAN handle the 7.62. The 7.62 fits in the 308 chamber no problem but not the other way around. Albeit you CAN do it but it causes lots of wear and tear on the chamber.

Assuming you can even get a stable stance with these .50s you want back, shooting them while standing would either knock you on your ass or mess up your shoulder. Sometimes both :) Not to mention the incredible boom it produces would attract everything within miles to your location

I'm fine with them being in the game as long as there are limitations like having to go prone and mount the weapon before shooting 

Assuming you can even get a stable stance with these .50s you want back, shooting them while standing would either knock you on your ass or mess up your shoulder. Sometimes both :) Not to mention the incredible boom it produces would attract everything within miles to your location

I'm fine with them being in the game as long as there are limitations like having to go prone and mount the weapon before shooting

On your back I don't see much of a problem, but shouldering it.....there's a reason it has a bipod lol

Rocket has talked about a global "economy" where a certain number of items/weapons are in the whole world (ie :database) at once. A good way to keep very rare items low.

I, for one, would not mind if there were only 1 or 2 50 cal weapons in play at any one time.

This.

50 cals are great and all..

but every one having one is a bit unrealistic.

If this is implemented i wouldn't mind your occasion camper in ele.

Since DayZ kind of turned into a encounter anti-material sniper simulator for a very long time, I imagine there's no current intentions of reintroducing rail guns.

Global item economy sounds good. I really don't think the sale of in game items for real money is a bad thing. Why do people say that's a bad thing? We've had real money bounties before...

Edited by SalamanderAnder

Global item economy sounds good. I really don't think the sale of in game items for real money is a bad thing. Why do people say that's a bad thing? We've had real money bounties be

there are a million things wrong with that.

Warz- Exhibit A

• Like 2

Selling virtual items for real money usually brings the absolutely worst type of gamers. As mentioned above, case in point.

• Like 1

Selling virtual items for real money usually brings the absolutely worst type of gamers. As mentioned above, case in point.

When i download a game and it brings up something to buy "points" to spend in the store..

control panel>programs>uninstall program>delete said game

Global item economy sounds good. I really don't think the sale of in game items for real money is a bad thing. Why do people say that's a bad thing? We've had real money bounties before...

That's not what he meant by the term global "economy". He's speaking about a global instance system where lets say in 100 servers there is 1 instance of an item, as opposed to 1 on every server (pretty much how it works now). Nobody spoke of selling/buying anything or implementing such a feature.

Rocket has talked about a global "economy" where a certain number of items/weapons are in the whole world (ie :database) at once. A good way to keep very rare items low.

I, for one, would not mind if there were only 1 or 2 50 cal weapons in play at any one time.

Edited by h3l1x

That's called pay2win, the very thing that ruins games

• Like 1

DayZ will drop if it becomes a Pay2Win. I trust Dean is not stupid and ignorant enough to do this.

lol how?? They are definitely realistic i have 2 my self (IRL)

By the way, I just thought I'd let you know you don't own 2 Barret M82's. Unless you bought them from a blackmarket and are illegally holding them, you can't even qualify to get a Class III License for one. Why you ask? Cause you're 18, NOT 21. You have to be at least 21 years of age to even fill out the first (out of MANY) page of the application. So no, you don't own two 50 cals. Think I'm full of shit? Here, read it and cry: http://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-Class-3-Firearms-License

You lost, case over, someone get a moderator to close this pointless thread.

IF it were reimplemented, what kind of balance adjustments would y'all like to see made? I think making it a weapon that prevents you from carrying a backpack or a second rifle would be a significant step in the right direction.

• Like 1

Ever heard of Wolfteam? That was a fun game, once. By the time I was done with it I was convinced that I was the only person left that refused to spend IRL money on it. It started out slow, a few new guns were released for IRL money only. They were OP as fuck, but I trusted that they would get patched. This didn't happen of course, instead a whole new range of broken weaponry was introduced. This was followed by new character models and eventually their worst idea ever, body armour. The body armour made it virtually impossible to kill someone unless you had one of those broken guns. It got to the point where if you weren't spending cash on the game, you couldn't win. I was constantly 1 shotted by someone from across the map with his BS rifle, if I managed to land a shot it didn't do anything because of the body armour. The most annoying part is that Aeria Games knew about this, they made a post saying that people were complaining due to the lack of new guns that could be purchased without cash, and said they would fix it. Never happened.

My point is that human beings are greedy bastards, and unless the company is being run by a saint then the sale of in game items for real money is the worst decision they could ever make. So long as the money keeps coming in from the people that are buying these items, they wont stop.

By the way, I just thought I'd let you know you don't own 2 Barret M82's. Unless you bought them from a blackmarket and are illegally holding them, you can't even qualify to get a Class III License for one. Why you ask? Cause you're 18, NOT 21. You have to be at least 21 years of age to even fill out the first (out of MANY) page of the application. So no, you don't own two 50 cals. Think I'm full of shit? Here, read it and cry: http://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-Class-3-Firearms-License

Firstly I wanna say I don't believe he has 2 .50s

Not all gun laws are the same everywhere.

You can get you gun license at the age of 16 over here.

Not sure about whatever class .50s are over here or even if they're legal but nearly nothing requires you to be 21 its all 16 or 18 really.

Most gun enthusiasts don't even own a .50 and they could have hundreds of guns.

• Like 1

Firstly I wanna say I don't believe he has 2 .50s

Not all gun laws are the same everywhere.

You can get you gun license at the age of 16 over here.

Not sure about whatever class .50s are over here or even if they're legal but nearly nothing requires you to be 21 its all 16 or 18 really.

Most gun enthusiasts don't even own a .50 and they could have hundreds of guns.

Military grade weapons such as the .50 are Class III no matter where you go in the US. And being 21 years of age is a national law when applying for a Class III.

Edited by Shadow134

It's still very possible.

All you did here was make minor corrections that don't help your point whatsoever. If you were to choose you carry a .50, I can assure you, you would never us it, and you would sure as fuck die off fast.

Also, someone who seems so gun capable as you should know there is infact a difference between a 7.62 and .308. And since your father owns these supposed guns, why do you feel the need to call them yours?

If that's how things work, I own a 1200 sq ft house and a minivan.

it depends what variant of 7.62 you where speaking of i assumed you ment 7.62x51mm witch is .308 caliber, if you where speaking of the aks 7.62x39 or the SVDs 7.62x54r i apoligise 

1. i said my father had the license

2. im in NZ you only need a E cat license witch you can obtain at 18

Military grade weapons such as the .50 are Class III no matter where you go in the US. And being 21 years of age is a national law when applying for a Class III.

They're similar. Not the same.

That's not what he meant by the term global "economy". He's speaking about a global instance system where lets say in 100 servers there is 1 instance of an item, as opposed to 1 on every server (pretty much how it works now). Nobody spoke of selling/buying anything or implementing such a feature.

I KNOW that. I know what an "item economy" is. I was referring to another post where they said the item economy would result in players selling in game weapons for cash, to other players. What's wrong with that?

When i download a game and it brings up something to buy "points" to spend in the store..

control panel>programs>uninstall program>delete said game

There's no store, or points, or anything involved there. That's just one person giving another person money for a weapon in a game. It doesn't "ruin the gameplay." It's nothing like WarZ. WarZ was players giving money to developers for items. There's nothing wrong with player/player trade, even if it does involve real world money. Nobody could stop someone from coming on the forums and saying "I found a .50 cal sniper rifle will sell for $100." They'll have to mediate the trade somehow amongst themselves, but again, we have had cash bounties for players on the forum before. I don't see anything wrong with that.

If you people honestly think I'm talking about servers or developers handing out goods for cash, then you clearly don't know me. That is entirely off limits. I'm purely talking about player to player exchange.

Edited by SalamanderAnder