r4z0r49

DayZ 1.8 Feedback

Is it normal to become a bandit after killing one? I was minding my own business when a bandit came around and shot me, I in turn shot him and killed him. Then I became a bandit myself?

Short feedback to 1.8

Great

- 1/2/3 weapon swapping system is really great and seems to be working properly

- Double-clicking to open backpacks makes item management way easier

Could be better

- New HUD icons don't look very well in the mod's context, I think the old ones were a good match to DayZ's reallistic tone

- New Inventory skin could be a little less "noisy" (cleaner visual)

Bugs

- Zeds have collision models soon after they die, for a few seconds, in stairs (not sure if this happens everywhere)

- Zeds in zombie camps drops out of mid-air and respawn, can't access tents as they vanish for no certain reason (noticed that after lighting its campfire)

Keep up the good work!

Edited by WARPIG_

• I have a few problems with the hotkey function such as it not being really responsive or does the wrong option (such as 2 on the keyboard switches to all 3 weapons; melee, primary, sidearm)
  • There seems to be way too much food lying around but makes up for the difficulty of zombies I suppose.
  • Crowbar needs more functions such as being able to reopen a bear trap(hard to pry open by hand in reality) or prying out nails out of the Nailed Bat ;)
  • Cooking item like a frying pan to be able to cook on instead in a fire place.

After I downloaded the update, I noticed a big increase in performance. Overall; the mod has became a lot more entertaining with those new features in place. 10/10. Thanks DayZ Team :)

Edited by TIC321
  • Like 1

Agree with the UI points raised by others - the new icons and particularly the gear menu are a little cluttered, and visually don't really suit the style of the game (IMHO, anyway)

Had a mild issue with a 'not dying after being unconscious' bug where I was for some reason dropping into 'minus' blood levels but still being able to move around and act normally, that's been reported elsewhere.

As far as gameplay goes, all has seemed good so far. I like the direction things have been heading from a gameplay point of view, so apart from the odd hiccup here and there with bugs, it's all been pretty sweet.

Too much food spawning imo.  I liked the scarcity in general before 1.8.

Maybe now that crafting is implemented, the amount of junk as it is would alleviate the "lack" of the loot overall.  Would probably give players the need to get some industrial utility stuff more often as well for the sake of having main components to craft = giving more value to these items.

Would really like to see the possibility to reload crossbows via quivers instead of this tedious and pointless open inventory right click quiver select take arrow out close inventory reload.  Also means always playing with -1 inventory slot due to this, provided you somehow never need to shoot more than one time in any possible situation DayZ might put you into.  Or make every weapon in the game have its own "interactive manually processed" reload   :blush:

Edited by Kraorr

Got in yesterday and played for a few hours, Didn't get infected, found a couple of sterile wipes, a grenade a brick and a crashsite so I'm actually pretty well kitted out (though unsure whether the server has modded their files). How do i make a bean can grenade trap?

The UI was a little laggy. I would click to eat food and 10 seconds later it would work and this was shortly after a server restart. Other than that things look good. The new UI i like mostly but I think you should have stayed with the markers for sight and sound rather than shading. Still trying to work out a lot of the things, but so far so good. :)

Great update! I love the melee slot best thing since sliced bread. One odd thing I have noticed is that when using my hatchet to kill zombies it seems I am attracting an infinite amount of zombies as if I was firing a main weapon even if I'm standing still swinging my hatchet at zombies they still come from all over the place even around building corners and such

• Like 1

I don't like the UI, They don't fit the style of the game. It's all Kiddy.

Posted already by some one els but i can't use my SVD. 

Damn the BAG sound shocked the hell out of me too LOL. It sounds like some one farted really loud.

Logging in and loading times are alot faster now!

Edited by monoking

Excellent update, thank you for this! :thumbsup:

I like the new melee weapon swapping capability.  Zed spawns seem different, they seem to spawn when the player is farther out, and the spawn locations are more scattered.  This is great.  I have not encountered any zeds spawning inside buildings yet.  This was a good upgrade in the earlier patches that made the early game very challenging.

The zipper sound when opening the backpack is VERY loud.  Scares the crap out of me every time I open the pack.  Way too much food.  These are the only criticisms I have so far.  Still lots remaining to discover.

Too much food spawning imo.  I liked the scarcity in general before 1.8.

Maybe now that crafting is implemented, the amount of junk as it is would alleviate the "lack" of the loot overall.  Would probably give players the need to get some industrial utility stuff more often as well for the sake of having main components to craft = giving more value to these items.

Would really like to see the possibility to reload crossbows via quivers instead of this tedious and pointless open inventory right click quiver select take arrow out close inventory reload.  Also means always playing with -1 inventory slot due to this, provided you somehow never need to shoot more than one time in any possible situation DayZ might put you into.  Or make every weapon in the game have its own "interactive manually processed" reload   :blush:

this on both points, the food is spawning a bit too much, but i didn't see anything in the changelog so im assuming this is an unintended side effect. Loving the loot being restricted to 1 of any item, way better. 

the UI, i'm not really a fan and i don't understand why it was changed.

organizing gear is nicer, but again it followed the art style of the UI and eh on that front 

Edited by Capo

IMO 1.8 is the best update DayZ has had. Really great. Me and my friends are enjoying it immensely. There isn't anything I don't like about it, although one of my friends isn't a fan of the ShacTac hop, lol. I'll admit that it isn't perfect but it's a thousand times better than the combat roll.

I have encountered a couple of bugs though...

-Both on the test server and my regular server, now that it's updated to 1.8, I've had the bandit 'KILLKILLKILL' page in the journal and I have the survivor skin with 2500+ humanity.

-My hatchet went full auto. No idea what caused it. Reconnecting fixed it though.

Edited by mZLY
  • Like 3

If you have a SVD and want to keep it. Don't login with it on 1.8. My SVD is now gone when rolling back to .1.7.7

Edited by monoking

Way too much items spawning, too much loot! Every loot spawn position will hold an item! E.g. sandbags and engine parts are way too common right now, found more that five of each yesterday after a 4-5h gaming session...

I don't understand you people... First everyone was whining how rare loot was.on 1.7.7 and now its the opposite? Loot barely spawned on 1.7.7. I could go to NWAF and go through all barracks and only find 3/2 piles of loot.

Making the loot piles too rare to spawn. will just force people to cycle them...

You know the loot tables were already reworked and items spawn now much rarer?  It was probably a bug with the loot mechanic wich is atleast corrected now. I don't find myself empty handed with no loot when going through cities or key places...

And come on. Lets not separate the common player with the hardcore players by just making the game more tedious and favor the elites. I can barely find populated public servers to PVP on these days...

Feedback after some hours of playing around the coast and Elektro mostl:

- Inventory, Zombies, Quick Switch, Infection stuff all feel very well balanced to me. Huge improvements in those areas, the game just flows much better and it's less of a hassle to manage your gear.

- Of the 2 servers I played on, one had the journal and quick switch thing, the other one didn't. Most likely a server sided problem I guess (the squad management thing was still active one the problematic one)

- Amount of loot was too much for my taste. For example I was checking the Elektro power plant and found 2 M14s, a Glock, an M1911, a crowbar and 3 cans of food + random stuff. Additionally, when I was on top of the tower of the firestation, the loot in the lower levels respawned and I found another M14 with 2 mags (Could this be a server sided problem too?). As someione already said it feels like every spot that can contain loot will contain loot under all circumstances. The super market in Elektro had like 3 Winchersters in it. I like all the new loot locations under cars and hidden between other things etc. It would really add a lot to the atmosphere if you had to actively serch for those spots when running low on something. Unfortunately I never ran low on anything and my inventory was always stacked with delicious canned food after 5 minutes of playing.

-> The server had spawn selection activated so the problem that arose was that we killed 2 bandits and before we were able to loot them and move north they already respawned near Elektro, found themselves two M14s and engaged us again. It kinda escalated into a Wasteland-with-zombies-situation. Initially it was said that spawn selection would be limited in the way that you could only spawn once a while in your desired position but it seems that it has not been implemented this way (again, maybe server sided problem?).

Thanks for the new version, it's already a huge improvement and you can clearly see the amount of work that has been put into this project. :beans:

finally there is loot for everyone :D

these days are gone, when there were dam looters on tour and took my stuff away :D

On the topic of the increased loot, you must remember that the number of Zeds has also at least doubled. So sure, you might have a full inventory of food and drink and a fully loaded gun...but getting to enjoy it is going to be tricky. Especially when shooting is a death sentence.

It also revives the loot'n'scoot tactic (sneak in, get some supplies, sneak out, ???, profit) whereas before risk involved in looting a building greatly outweighed the reward. In 1.7.7.1 I checked the whole of BZ and left the city without a single item. Nothing at all. And I was the only one on the server at the time. Now I can find food and drink in reasonable supply, but finding a gun is sort of a win/lose. You get offensive ability but don't you dare use it or every Zed within 300 meters will be on you.

• Like 1

What one?

On version 1.7.7.1 - [Anti-dupe] You must wait to pick up this item.  But regardless of how long you wait you cant pick it up. I worked around it by customizing the loot not to include any of those items and made mini-missions to get them to the player through ammo-boxes or in vehicle spawns.

Sorry - I know this is the 1.8 feeback forum. If the anti-dupe is fixed then I really want to upgrade as the new changelog looks great.

Hi Razor49 & team.

I am not playing vanilla anymore, hence not active in the forums - but looking on the feedback on Reddit it seems you made a lot of lone wolf players happy and just wanted to take my time to do this,  so I tried the 1.8 patch for the last two days and tbh I never get very far into looting before dying to zeds - did you give their damage a notch up?

Anyway, I suck at fighting zeds so feedback is not very detailed.

-Graphics is art, it's really a matter of individual taste. To me, it's a bit cartoon'ish but definately not boring anymore.

-Although not that intuitive at first look, inventory needed this update, it makes sense to have a melee weapon next to your gun.

-like the spawn system and the various new loot spawns you made under tables, beds etc. I think perfomance in fps lowered a bit overall and I hope you find the reason why.

-Finally my wish on fishing in DayZ was made real - thx!

- I am getting kicked a lot for CreateVehicle and ScriptRestrictions while just running doing nothin'? (hero-skin?) Also, I spawn in on the beach and gets repositioned to my last logout position a while later.

Is this server-related or a known bug?

All in all I agree with everybody, it's definately the best patch since Dean left working on the mod.

I really think you guys did a good job.

Edited by Skadefroen

Love the update R4zor and team, some really great features added, thanks for all the work, best update yet.

The only negative I do have is the UI icons as alot of others have said, strange decision for me as they really don't fit imo at all and add a cartoony vibe to the game that I would really rather not have in a serious zombie survival sim such a s Dayz.

My quick 2 cents....

Graphics  for blood, food, drink are silly. Don't blend in with game. Old ones much better.

Need a big old CLOSE button when in gear screen. Trying to go up to the corner to x out when I hear a zombie sucks (I know I could hit ESC, but that is another unneeded motion).

Zombie respawn time at crash sites is too fast. With the increased number, I can't kill them all without finding cover, so my other tactic of getting them to chase me down hill, then loop around some trees, andrun straight back up used to give me time to grab stuff.  now, a whole new batch respawns before I can even get back there.

I  seem to be addicted to pain killers. Nearly every time I get hit by a zombie I need one. I would think that would have a time limit and go away on its own. I usually cheat and go to third person view while outrunning the threat, but no matter how long I wait, I end up taking one just to get rid of the shakes so I can go back to my preferred first person view. 

I  finally found a hatchet and gun last night, the quick swap is a god send. Thanks for that.

Edited by foggierglint

Love the update R4zor and team, some really great features added, thanks for all the work, best update yet.

The only negative I do have is the UI icons as alot of others have said, strange decision for me as they really don't fit imo at all and add a cartoony vibe to the game that I would really rather not have in a serious zombie survival sim such a s Dayz.

Personally, I really like the new HUD. Heard a few complaints about the icons though. The option to choose between the new or old style ones where you used to turn the debug monitor on and off might be a good idea.

Edited by mZLY
  • Like 2

Personally, I really like the new HUD. Heard a few complaints about the icons though. The option to choose between the new or old style ones where you used to turn the debug monitor on and off might be a good idea.

It's just a personal preference at the end of the day, but if a compromise as you've suggested can be done that would be awesome and keep everyone happy.

At the end of the day we are looking at these throughout our entire game time so a fairly important part of the experience imo.