Sign in to follow this  
creeperbane

Realistic pistols damage

all weapons damage are wrong because there's no zone damage ( except head ) 

And legs/arms.

However specific damage for the arms is not exactly good... shoot someone in the arm and it could easily go through their chest and all the good stuff inside, but since bullets don't seem to penetrate bodies in ArmA2 that can't happen.

And legs/arms.

However specific damage for the arms is not exactly good... shoot someone in the arm and it could easily go through their chest and all the good stuff inside, but since bullets don't seem to penetrate bodies in ArmA2 that can't happen.

It's silly, I've hit people in the knee with a .408 on arma 3 and they just carry on as if they never got shot, HP systems don't belong in DayZ or Arma IMO.

That was on wasteland BTW.

We do need theat penetration though.

Sometimes I'm shooting from underneath somebody in battlefield and I can hit them five times without a kill when in reality those bullets would be tearing through so much flesh it isn't funny.

Ofcourse I don't want insta death on DayZ for non vital hits though, but I do want good penetration. ;)

You fail to take into account that being a soldier, he probably received rapid medical attention in a medically sound environment. DayZ does not have forward operating bases with a fully equipped M*A*S*H unit that can patch your skull back together. He most likely would not have survived that injury without medical help.

Maybe, maybe not. You don't recieve a surgery on the spot if half your face is missing but what's the most important is having someone who can perform first aid in the first minutes. I doubt WW1 vets got that luxury and still there were victims able to survive with the lack of high tech medical equipment.

In a DayZ-like situation, you're highly unlikely to last very long after being shot at all, unless it's a glancing shot.

I think the immediate effects should be as close to real life as possible... however, if you manage to survive, the healing process should be sped up / forgiving / etc. But not quite as sped up as cooked meat spamming behind a wall while still under fire...

That added with the danger of having to run around for a couple of days or maybe a week or two to let an in game wound heal and not beeing able to perform 100% or maybe dying from the after effects like bleeding to death or infection due to the lack of antibiotics could have the potential to stop indiscrimitae shooting because both sides ( mainly the attacker side and i'm adressing the KoS players ) always have to fear beeing wounded and having to deal with the after effects like wound treatment and healing which is not just putting a band-aid or a bandage and it's all ok like in the action movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_trauma

• Like 2

I wish there were guns of that caliber ;P

They would call it the four finger gun.

Because after firing it, you will only have four fingers!

In all of the damage/injury discussions, this tends to be overlooked.

The actual degree of damage from a gunshot is not measured in "blood" or "hitpoints", nor is it as simple as "headshot or not?".

Ruptured organs, broken/fragmented bones and wound contamination are not easily dealt with.

In a DayZ-like situation, you're highly unlikely to last very long after being shot at all, unless it's a glancing shot.

It's a balancing act between realism and gameplay, based on a lot of assumption.

Though the current system is, IMO, far too forgiving, making the injury system 100% accurate would lead to players' experiences suffering without adding anything to gameplay. You'd spend more of your time injured and dying than anything else.

Player characters have to remain somewhat functional up to the point of death, and death (when you're past the point of no return) has to come reasonably quickly. Otherwise folks will lose interest.

No matter how much gritty-realism and hardcore simulation you throw at it, it's still a game.

this this this this this.

Personally I think doing it any other way would be folly.  

Super-realism would leave a bunch of cripples laying on the gorund slowly expiring