Wayze

[SA] Multiple Characters

I am not sure if this was mentioned by Dean, if yes I was not aware of it and this thread is pointless.

I really would like to have more than one character in the standalone. Maybe like 3 characterslots, it should be limited because otherwise people would probably collect characters which would take huge space for the servers. However, if I have a character with good gear etc. and I am in the mood to change my playstyle, I would really like to have another character to do so.

You know, having a character only playing as a bandit and another one who is careful and friendly.

Is anything like that confirmend? And would you like that idea?

I dislike the idea for the permanent death feature would not have the same affect on a player.

• Like 4

I think they make some loots too much rare like nvg :|

some guys will keep one character for off line store of value weapon and nvg etc >:(

so for me no thanks you, one character for one account please ;)

From what i understand there is only one character much like the mod.

I would actually prefer a one player/one username scenario that way you will be held accountable for your gamestyle in that you could earn yourself a bad/good reputation.

I think, for example, some players hide behind the fact they can change their username as often as they like.

• Like 9

The name of the character can be locked to the username of the account. So every character has the same name.

The problem with keeping good stuff could be solved by making a lock down after a character dies. So you have 3 slots, slot 1 you got your nvg. Slot 2 you play and die, 24-48 hours lock down for this slot. Slot 3 you die also 24-48 lock down. Now you are forced to play slot 1, if you die with him slot 2 will be unlocked (the slot with less time will be unlocked).

Maybe that would prevent the keeping of nvg etc. and if a player really wanst to keep it he will probably anyway. If you got a really really rare weapon I can imagine that people will sell it on ebay or something. I bet there are some people who are willing to pay much money for a weapon which is like 0,0001% chance to obtain.

Edited by Wayze

If you got a really really rare weapon I can imagine that people will sell it on ebay or something. I bet there are some people who are willing to pay much money for a weapon which is like 0,0001% chance to obtain.

Oh God i hope this never happens!

• Like 3

I'd prefer if your username and character were properly attached.

There should be consequences for being a dick, having  a reputation following you around is good for that, currently people act like dicks, change their name and try to fuck people over because they don't know who they really are, your identity should be part of you, not something you can change when you don't want to be recognised.

• Like 4

i don't like the idea..for example i have my best char infected and i have nvgs and a nice rifle..i could use another with low end gear to scavenge carelessly for a cure and drop the meds in the spot i logged off with the ''main''.

and even if don't having  a lockdown encourages metagaming of looting your own body, i prefere to play how much i want.

p.s.

how this looting your body will work in the SA?

Edited by Bludy
  • Like 1

Having multiple characters would definitely benefit me personally as i usually like to play as a friendly but often play with a group of friends who can be somewhat less friendly.

But having said that i really like the idea of only one character with one unique name. i think it really would make people feel a bit more responsible for their actions.

It would also open up things like bounty hunting.

• Like 1

From what i understand there is only one character much like the mod.

I would actually prefer a one player/one username scenario that way you will be held accountable for your gamestyle in that you could earn yourself a bad/good reputation.

I think, for example, some players hide behind the fact they can change their username as often as they like.

This has been discussed a few times and IMO it's a really good idea.

The name of the character can be locked to the username of the account. So every character has the same name.

The problem with keeping good stuff could be solved by making a lock down after a character dies. So you have 3 slots, slot 1 you got your nvg. Slot 2 you play and die, 24-48 hours lock down for this slot. Slot 3 you die also 24-48 lock down. Now you are forced to play slot 1, if you die with him slot 2 will be unlocked (the slot with less time will be unlocked).

Maybe that would prevent the keeping of nvg etc. and if a player really wanst to keep it he will probably anyway. If you got a really really rare weapon I can imagine that people will sell it on ebay or something. I bet there are some people who are willing to pay much money for a weapon which is like 0,0001% chance to obtain.

Isn't this the same as War Z has?

After playing Lineage 2 for years I can tell you having multiple characters only enhances cheating. I don't want to have to worry about killing someone at Elektro and he login back with his well placed sniper secondary character to blow my head off just because he already knows where I am. I got tired of similar stuff playing Lineage 2 (I also did it myself, having my high lvl character unlogged near to my leveling spot so if I have problems with another player I just log in and beat the hell out of them with a full geared/leveled char)

Edited by p4triot
  • Like 1

If there were multiple characters, people would set them all up in the same towns and exploit it to win fire fights.

No thanks. 

Edited by Delta Smoke 01
  • Like 3

I think one of the core things in DayZ is that you have just one character.  Private hives have changed that a bit but in the SA I'd like to see players tied to one character at a time, I'd even like us to have to stick to one name.

It shouldn't be  too permanant because people do like to change things etc but I'd like to see maybe a restriction on how many times you can change your name each month for example.  When it comes to trading and so on (which will play a much bigger role in the SA due to the sheer amount of gear and rarity of some items) reputations are important and just being able to switch characters or names whenever you want seems to undermine that a bit imo.

I think one of the core things in DayZ is that you have just one character.  Private hives have changed that a bit but in the SA I'd like to see players tied to one character at a time, I'd even like us to have to stick to one name.

It shouldn't be  too permanant because people do like to change things etc but I'd like to see maybe a restriction on how many times you can change your name each month for example.  When it comes to trading and so on (which will play a much bigger role in the SA due to the sheer amount of gear and rarity of some items) reputations are important and just being able to switch characters or names whenever you want seems to undermine that a bit imo.

Initially this was exactly my train of thought.

But I just launched DayZ with the intention of playing solo and, not wanting to leave where I logged out with my friend yesterday, I started a new character on a different server and I don't really see anything wrong with that.

Something similar to the way characters work in PlanetSide 2 would probably work quite well in DayZ. Although I would still definitely prefer if you were limited to one name per account.

I'm not sure.  I just think think that being tied to one character means every decision you make as that character becomes more important to you.

For example if I can switch characters, I could have one "serious" character and one for douching around with.  If my "douching around" character decides to mess with someones "serious" character then it could easily ruin their day because I'd be just messing around without worrying about the consequences (because my "proper" character is safe) and they'd be playing very differently because they're basically worried about the outcome.

• Like 4

I'm not sure.  I just think think that being tied to one character means every decision you make as that character becomes more important to you.

For example if I can switch characters, I could have one "serious" character and one for douching around with.  If my "douching around" character decides to mess with someones "serious" character then it could easily ruin their day because I'd be just messing around without worrying about the consequences (because my "proper" character is safe) and they'd be playing very differently because they're basically worried about the outcome.

Yeah, that's a good point. I guess I didn't really think it through. Although you could argue that some people don't play seriously and take massive risks the entire time anyway. I played with one of my mates as the Chernogorsk Police Department for about a month and all we did was lurk in Cherno and wait for someone to kill someone, then we would 'detain' the suspect, which usually ended with at least one person being shot, lol.

It would be nice to be able to have seperate solo and group play chars though.

• Like 1

This is my exact problem with multiple characters.

People will use certain characters to play seriously and grief others with alternate characters, it makes consequences significantly more meaningless - it also ruins a lot of gameplay mechanics.

For example: You and a friend manage to get the jump on a pesky bandit that's been following you, you disarm him and tie him up then BOOM he logs out, you decide to wait a few minutes to see if it was a D/C and he comes back but nope, turns out he had another character parked nearby that he's been funneling all his high-end loot to.

You are dead.

Reputation and your name should play a large part, it gives a real sense of community and forces players to be.. nicer.

A good example was WoW, when I first started in the first month of EU vanilla release everyone was unbelievably nice, people would give you stuff, help you, lend you gold and you would pay it back when you got the chance.

Everyone on my realm pretty much knew who was who, all the better players had a good reputation and with that came easy raids and groups, all the best crafters were trusted with expensive materials to craft with and were paid good money for it.

Could you imagine that in a game like WoW now?

When they introduced name change/character transfer/realm transfer it all went way downhill, players would steal high-end epic gear from raids, steal from their guild bank and they could just change their name or transfer realm and get away with thousands of gold (Worth a pretty penny IRL).

Most sense of community and trust went with it, griefers, all the LOLPVP PROZ and all the other morons started flocking to the game and using the ability to change their identity to their advantage.

Without a real identity their is nothing keeping you from being an ass, with a name? 

With a name, all you have is your word and your reputation god damn better be able to back that up.

A man is only as good as his word.

• Like 4

Isn't this the same as War Z has?

After playing Lineage 2 for years I can tell you having multiple characters only enhances cheating. I don't want to have to worry about killing someone at Elektro and he login back with his well placed sniper secondary character to blow my head off just because he already knows where I am. I got tired of similar stuff playing Lineage 2 (I also did it myself, having my high lvl character unlogged near to my leveling spot so if I have problems with another player I just log in and beat the hell out of them with a full geared/leveled char)

Btw. are characters not locked to servers? Serverhoppers will farm loot and serverswitch to do exactly what you described.

Hope Dean has a solution for this.

Btw. are characters not locked to servers? Serverhoppers will farm loot and serverswitch to do exactly what you described.

Hope Dean has a solution for this.

The difference is that if they have 2 chars they may be able to log in fully geared up instantly after dying to get back at you, whereas if they only had 1 char they would respawn with nothing.

If you do this, you'll get people like Sacriel. Nothing against him (I enjoy some of his content), but he has numerous game copies. He gears them all up, and places them near where we will be recording/streaming. If he dies, he just reloggs on a different copy, and jumps right back in.

My vote goes to one character only.

I've often killed bandits, only to have their alt characters kill me minutes later. 

No. Fucking no. 

If you do this, you'll get people like Sacriel. Nothing against him (I enjoy some of his content), but he has numerous game copies. He gears them all up, and places them near where we will be recording/streaming. If he dies, he just reloggs on a different copy, and jumps right back in.

My vote goes to one character only.

Agreed Statik, very agreeable.

And it is very realistic to have one character only, with multiple accounts, the whole idea of looting corpses will be near worthless and abused.

• Like 1

The difference is that if they have 2 chars they may be able to log in fully geared up instantly after dying to get back at you, whereas if they only had 1 char they would respawn with nothing.

That was not what I was talking about. Is there any solution for server hoppers? In Mod it was a huge problem until private servers dominated. People just went to NWAF got on a low populated server and switched servers until they had high value gear. Also people server hoppen in combat situations, after you engaged someone he gets in cover, servers hops and in 5 mins he is behind you.

Initially this was exactly my train of thought.

But I just launched DayZ with the intention of playing solo and, not wanting to leave where I logged out with my friend yesterday, I started a new character on a different server and I don't really see anything wrong with that.

Something similar to the way characters work in PlanetSide 2 would probably work quite well in DayZ. Although I would still definitely prefer if you were limited to one name per account.

Nothing wrong with that. Problem is when different characters from the same account share also the same server.

• Like 1