SmashT

DayZ Developer Blog 7th September 2013

I'm glad to say i'm really happy with what I've seen so far but there are things that haven't even been dressed in dev blogs at all (that i can recall) i would like to see weather changes i would like to see where the vehicles are in development if changed or not i would like to know how customizable your character will be as in race, age, height, and other features

other than that i excited to see such a improvement in what has been done latly

I was really skeptic from what a saw at gc. But now i see how it all comes together I belive we will have so much more fun with the sa then with the mod . Totally awesome great work devteam.

I'm glad to say i'm really happy with what I've seen so far but there are things that haven't even been dressed in dev blogs at all (that i can recall) i would like to see weather changes i would like to see where the vehicles are in development if changed or not i would like to know how customizable your character will be as in race, age, height, and other features

other than that i excited to see such a improvement in what has been done latly

As far as I know, weather will play a more important part in the SA (meaning clothing will become more important), vehicles are being completely overhauled to allow for new damage models/customisation etc (that will be a bit later in development) and regarding character customisation I have no idea...

Edited by Fraggle

There are 3 playable races for both genders (caucasian, asian and black) beyond that I really don't have a clue how char customisation will work.

• Like 1

I'm sorry i had no time to read all pages, but my question is...

if i put on the "destroyed" vest of an enemy... will i be able to store things in it, even if it doesn't protect me anymore?

• Like 1

The whole idea of it is as a deterrent to those that just shoot on sight... From your post I gather that you fall into that bracket.

There are other ways to "get people's things", hence the hope that an economy will form and bartering will become a thing. As a "last resort", there's always the new restraint system. This isn't a shooter.

this does seem extreme and nothing close to real life, and yes i like to shoot on site too. Guns are built tough and are not made from fucking wood.

How about degrading after 200 rounds or so and needing a cleaning kit to get it back into shape.

I'm sorry i had no time to read all pages, but my question is...

if i put on the "destroyed" vest of an enemy... will i be able to store things in it, even if it doesn't protect me anymore?

I also was wondering this. IT would be funny if a really damaged vest had items fall out of it (from holes or whatever).

• Like 1

this does seem extreme and nothing close to real life, and yes i like to shoot on site too. Guns are built tough and are not made from fucking wood.

How about degrading after 200 rounds or so and needing a cleaning kit to get it back into shape.

I'm confused  :huh:

You're talking about weapon degradation when the dev blog didn't showcase that at all, nor did I mention it.

Did you meant to quote me? 

I'm confused  :huh:

You're talking about weapon degradation when the dev blog didn't showcase that at all, nor did I mention it.

Did you meant to quote me? 

DeathStroke, on 08 Sept 2013 - 01:52 AM, said:snapback.png

Ok I have one question. Shouldn't the item degradation be dumbed down a little bit? One shot and its already in bad shape. Its going to make it hard to get peoples things when you have to get headshots only to protect what your trying to get. And unless your the best sniper out there or you catch them while standing still, your gonna have to get up closer and I dont think they'll want to give you time to aim down. I mean I LOVE the idea but I think one shot is a little too much... can someone explain how this won't be a problem?

You commented on DeathStrokes post. And Dean did say in the video that "ALL ITEMS" including guns will deteriorate. I think its not a bad idea, but it has to be after a couple hundred rounds and not after one shot.

when shooting bullets out of a gun, then degradation would be slow.  when your gun gets shot, then it would take damage and degrade very fast. a hit to the receiver could make the gun inoperable in a single shot. or you might take a glancing blow off the stock and still be functional. same effect for items getting shot but there is a little balance taking place. if you shot a backpack, there is a pretty good chance that it would not make it useless, however, if you hit the strap, then the backpack would not longer work as a backpack.  rocket said he is working on the exact balance for damage of an item, anyways.

good. i like the damaged looked of items. my question is can you shoot items on the floor to get them looking all warn. i would shoot up my own guilli suit :D

Do items inside containers also get damaged when you clothes take damage?

I believe so although it's a very new system and is going to have lot's of work/balancing done on it.

For example, if I place a medikit in my rucksack and the bag gets shot, there's a chance of the medikit in that bag getting damaged too.  If I place it in a container and then place it in my bag it has the added protection from the container but still a percentage chance of damage based on the combined values from both the bag and the container.

Although it'll be complex from their point of view in terms of getting all of the values correct for us it'll just be common sense, something stored in a metal container is safer than something just loose in my pockets etc.

That's how I understand it anyway.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

I believe so although it's a very new system and is going to have lot's of work/balancing done on it.

For example, if I place a medikit in my rucksack and the bag gets shot, there's a chance of the medikit in that bag getting damaged too.  If I place it in a container and then place it in my bag it has the added protection from the container but still a percentage chance of damage based on the combined values from both the bag and the container.

Although it'll be complex from their point of view in terms of getting all of the values correct for us it'll just be common sense, something stored in a metal container is safer than something just loose in my pockets etc.

That's how I understand it anyway.

Has to be one heck of a heavy container if it can take a bullet though.. Most metal objects will just cause more damage because of pieces that come off when a round passes trough.

Edited by HazZarD87

Many metals will tear not chatter.

Would be nice if the used their hit detection to determine what items may get damaged, they have fancy blood spraying out of the spot you got shot. Why cant they use this info to determine what spot will get the damage.. clothing pockets, backbag slots etc etc.
I hope they will tune the thing ALOT before alpha, few bullet holes in a shirt or backbag wont make much of an difference or when you get shot in the head, that is the only body part that will get the affect.

I think brightly coloured clothing should have more item slots than others because I can't see many people taking a bright red shirt over some dull greenish shirt. Make clothing that's makes you stick out have a little advantage such as more space ;) over clothes that help you blend in.

Has to be one heck of a heavy container if it can take a bullet though.. Most metal objects will just cause more damage because of pieces that come off when a round passes trough.

It's a good job I'm not designing it then.

It's a good job I'm not designing it then.

sounds like they are in need of a physicist... they might be in luck...

I think brightly coloured clothing should have more item slots than others because I can't see many people taking a bright red shirt over some dull greenish shirt. Make clothing that's makes you stick out have a little advantage such as more space ;) over clothes that help you blend in.

take that yellow shirt and shoot it....outcome ghillie shirt :) 

I really like the ristrain feature. I would like to see at some point to be able to carry people who are restained for a set amount of time. For example maybe you just restained someone and you don't want them following you once there free or maybe you don't want another player to come across them once you have left them. So you can pick them up put them in a near by bush leave them restrained there. After a minute or 2 they will be able to break free.

dragging men into the bushes......lol

one question arises...why so much effort and focus on guns when they want to make ammo scarce as hell? ;)

Anything for those of us who don't want to use guns?

I'm a DayZ Survivor and tend to wander well away from people. So it's scavenging and hunting mainly.

could end up a lot like Silent Hill if they introduce more melee weapons. sounds like a good thing

Edited by Duckseazon

This was probably said already, but I'm at work and don't have time to read the whole thread:

Items (e.g. magazine) shouldn't damage by mere association (because they're in the same carrying item, e.g. ballistic vest) but by actual impact proximity if not exact collision damage.  

I.E. magazine in lower right pocket of ballistic vest shouldn't take damage when said vest is struck by bullet in left shoulder.

Can we go shirtless in standalone? I want to show off my virtual abs.

Now that we're on the topic, we need to also be able to wear a banana hammock. You getting this, rocket?

This is going to be so awesome! I'm mostly excited about the clothing, and the fact that maybe every person that sees you won't shoot you!

Guns are built tough and are not made from fucking wood.

Really dude, are you that dense.  Hopefully not as dense as wood.  Why the fuc have we(humans) been making tools out of wood for tens of thousands of years.  Read a book or go outside.  Guns are made out of wood, and so are many other 'tough' things. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: