bfisher

I became a KoS sniper today...and I'm not sure if I should feel bad about it

I'm not really about KoS for it's own sake or just sniping people to be a dick.  But that said, I don't mind killing a bandit or ghillie suit from time to time if I see one.  Or anyone if I think the situation might get sketchy.

One thing I do like doing is just camping out near some high traffic area and just watching people do their thing.  Sometimes I might intervene if I want to help someone or dish out some angry justice.  But usually I just watch and observe.

So a few days ago, I decided to head down to the coast.  I'm pretty geared up with an M4 HOLO with M203 grenade launcher (no grenades) and a CZ550 I found in a deer stand.  Not much ammo though.  Pretty confident I can handle anything that comes my way.  Since I need some STANAG mags bad, I decide to camp out Balota for a bit.  I find a pretty good spot on a hill near the base, swap out the M4 for the long rifle ans zero to 400 meters.  For the next several days, things are pretty dull.  No traffic to speak of.  But I'm not quite ready to run into the potential death trap that is the Balota ATC tower, but I am running low on food so I'll need to make a move soon. 

Log in today to a nearly full house.  Only a few more hours of daylight left.  Soon I hear the familiar cry of Lee Enfield calling his children to dinner.  Quickly I scope the tower.  Some poor slob is on the roof of the tower fighting off a dozen zombies all looking for a quick snack.  Of course the more he rings that dinner bell, the more attention he attracts.  Like a monkey trying to grab a banana in a trap, he's just making things worse.  I do some quick calculations in my head.  Possibly all the rest of my ammo with potentially the same end result, or one single round of sweet mercy?  I make my decision.

*Bang*

*Bang*

*Bang* (I never said I was any good with this thing...stupid metric system!)

Feeling kind of bad as the drunken hobos disperse, I ponder whether it's worthwhile to go down and look.  Clearly someone must have heard all that gunfire so it just wouldn't do to be where the gunfire was.

I'm about to make my move when...helloooo...I spy some fine thing poking around inside the tower.  My attraction is short lived however as she is quickly joined by a green Chewbacca-looking mother fucker with what is clearly a military sniper rifle.  And I can quickly tell by the way they aren't fighting each other that they are probably together. Girls always seem to go for the jerks.

Well that sniper just changed the equation and not in my favor.  I start unloading rifle rounds into the tower and the two love birds take cover.  It does them little good from my vantage point on the grassy knoll.  Little Eponine jumps in the way of my shot and goes down first.  I can almost hear them singing their goodbye duet as Green Chewie aims his rifle in my direction... *KaPOW*...Goodnight sweet prince.

Given that I've just killed three people and not turned into a bandit, I can only assume it was all part of God's plan.  But my day isn't over yet even though it's getting dark and common courtesy dictates that I need to go down their and collect my spoils.  Otherwise I'm just some common douche sniper.  I might as well start screaming on side chat if I want to be that sort of resident of Cherno.

I make my way down to the control tower, keeping a watchful eye for stragglers and switching to the M4 for close encounters.  Much to my surprise, I can't even lay claim to half the bodies.  Body outside.  Body in the doorway.  Two more upstairs, not even counting my kills.  The files are so deafening I can barely hear the zombie agro outside.  But I do hear it.   I do a quick search.  Large packs.  A DMR rifle and ammo.  GPS!  Night vision!  Grenades for my M203!  These were no noobspawned bambis.  Clearly these guys (and girl) were into some heavy shit!  Whatever went down, I clearly must have come across the victors as they were celebrating.   

Feeling exposed in that tower (for obvious reasons) I swap out the CZ550 for the DMR, load up on grenades and other goodies.  The zombies become aware of me and the agro is deafening (even over the flies).  Not wanting to end up like that unfortunate Lee Enfield I showed a bit of mercy on the roof, I switch to my pistol.  No time for proper burials.  The first zombie is on me and sooth him to sleep with some chin music from my M1911.  Not even bothering with the second, I leap off the stairs.  Again God shows me his plan by not breaking my legs.  Clearing the fence, I break for the safety of the tree line.  

I get about half a click when I stop to inspect my gear.  I open my ACU pack only to find that, like a slackjawed noob, I picked up the DMR ammo but not the rifle! 

...guess I'm about to go back and find out how much God really loves me.

• Like 14

That was really well written, and if it's true, must've been a hell of a ride. PM if you want to play sometime, you seem pretty cool.

• Like 2

Well...Just know that the way people perceive you may shape your situation. If you become infamous, I know many people that enjoy a good bounty. Friendly or not, when word spreads people start looking. Keep up the act and people may start pointing fingers. process of elimination. You may be found and you will face a fight. Question is, how will you play this game? Good or bad, the kind of guy who bandages newspawns or shoots them? You decide, but your fate may be changed by it. just know, if I ever find you in my sights...hesitation is the last thing on my mind. So think about it. pretty soon, YOU may be the one in the scope.

Well...Just know that the way people perceive you may shape your situation. If you become infamous, I know many people that enjoy a good bounty. Friendly or not, when word spreads people start looking. Keep up the act and people may start pointing fingers. process of elimination. You may be found and you will face a fight. Question is, how will you play this game? Good or bad, the kind of guy who bandages newspawns or shoots them? You decide, but your fate may be changed by it. just know, if I ever find you in my sights...hesitation is the last thing on my mind. So think about it. pretty soon, YOU may be the one in the scope.

And I'll be looking back at you through the scope of my new blood soaked DMR.  ;)

• Like 1

As far as the poor sod on the roof was concerned, his game was over anyway so feel no guilt there. As for the wookie; wearing a ghillie and carrying a DMR pretty much says to anyone looking at the aforementioned wookie, 'my favourite hobby is wearing my victims' faces' so his fate was sealed and I'm sure he acknowledged that when he went down.

Take my beans good sir. 

• Like 1

I'm not really about KoS for it's own sake or just sniping people to be a dick.  But that said, I don't mind killing a bandit or ghillie suit from time to time if I see one.  Or anyone if I think the situation might get sketchy.

One thing I do like doing is just camping out near some high traffic area and just watching people do their thing.  Sometimes I might intervene if I want to help someone or dish out some angry justice.  But usually I just watch and observe.

So a few days ago, I decided to head down to the coast.  I'm pretty geared up with an M4 HOLO with M203 grenade launcher (no grenades) and a CZ550 I found in a deer stand.  Not much ammo though.  Pretty confident I can handle anything that comes my way.  Since I need some STANAG mags bad, I decide to camp out Balota for a bit.  I find a pretty good spot on a hill near the base, swap out the M4 for the long rifle ans zero to 400 meters.  For the next several days, things are pretty dull.  No traffic to speak of.  But I'm not quite ready to run into the potential death trap that is the Balota ATC tower, but I am running low on food so I'll need to make a move soon. 

Log in today to a nearly full house.  Only a few more hours of daylight left.  Soon I hear the familiar cry of Lee Enfield calling his children to dinner.  Quickly I scope the tower.  Some poor slob is on the roof of the tower fighting off a dozen zombies all looking for a quick snack.  Of course the more he rings that dinner bell, the more attention he attracts.  Like a monkey trying to grab a banana in a trap, he's just making things worse.  I do some quick calculations in my head.  Possibly all the rest of my ammo with potentially the same end result, or one single round of sweet mercy?  I make my decision.

*Bang*

*Bang*

*Bang* (I never said I was any good with this thing...stupid metric system!)

Feeling kind of bad as the drunken hobos disperse, I ponder whether it's worthwhile to go down and look.  Clearly someone must have heard all that gunfire so it just wouldn't do to be where the gunfire was.

I'm about to make my move when...helloooo...I spy some fine thing poking around inside the tower.  My attraction is short lived however as she is quickly joined by a green Chewbacca-looking mother fucker with what is clearly a military sniper rifle.  And I can quickly tell by the way they aren't fighting each other that they are probably together. Girls always seem to go for the jerks.

Well that sniper just changed the equation and not in my favor.  I start unloading rifle rounds into the tower and the two love birds take cover.  It does them little good from my vantage point on the grassy knoll.  Little Eponine jumps in the way of my shot and goes down first.  I can almost hear them singing their goodbye duet as Green Chewie aims his rifle in my direction... *KaPOW*...Goodnight sweet prince.

Given that I've just killed three people and not turned into a bandit, I can only assume it was all part of God's plan.  But my day isn't over yet even though it's getting dark and common courtesy dictates that I need to go down their and collect my spoils.  Otherwise I'm just some common douche sniper.  I might as well start screaming on side chat if I want to be that sort of resident of Cherno.

I make my way down to the control tower, keeping a watchful eye for stragglers and switching to the M4 for close encounters.  Much to my surprise, I can't even lay claim to half the bodies.  Body outside.  Body in the doorway.  Two more upstairs, not even counting my kills.  The files are so deafening I can barely hear the zombie agro outside.  But I do hear it.   I do a quick search.  Large packs.  A DMR rifle and ammo.  GPS!  Night vision!  Grenades for my M203!  These were no noobspawned bambis.  Clearly these guys (and girl) were into some heavy shit!  Whatever went down, I clearly must have come across the victors as they were celebrating.   

Feeling exposed in that tower (for obvious reasons) I swap out the CZ550 for the DMR, load up on grenades and other goodies.  The zombies become aware of me and the agro is deafening (even over the flies).  Not wanting to end up like that unfortunate Lee Enfield I showed a bit of mercy on the roof, I switch to my pistol.  No time for proper burials.  The first zombie is on me and sooth him to sleep with some chin music from my M1911.  Not even bothering with the second, I leap off the stairs.  Again God shows me his plan by not breaking my legs.  Clearing the fence, I break for the safety of the tree line.  

I get about half a click when I stop to inspect my gear.  I open my ACU pack only to find that, like a slackjawed noob, I picked up the DMR ammo but not the rifle! 

...guess I'm about to go back and find out how much God really loves me.

Look at it this way, you probs just killed people that had been on for hours and hours, perhaps ruining their whole day. But who am I to judge, its just the games nature... Sigh.... Well my advice is just if you see someone hide and talk to them via direct to see if their friendly... I they pull out their gun or sound douchy then kill em :P

So sorry, but who died and made you judge and jury?? "how will you play this game? good or bad, the kind of guy who bandages new spawns or shoots them?" I do believe bfisher has the right to play the game any which way he flippen likes, as do you, as do I!

Great story bfisher, brilliantly written.... will definitely read more of your DayZ exploits, so please share some more when you have the time.

Why are people in Ghillie suits hated so much - I always feel exposed in survivor gear, knowing it's the client that dictates what you look like. Think you're wearing all black survivor gear think again, on someone else screen your in light blue pants and shirt sticking out like a sore thumb. I wear any camo I can find and it works well too.

Why are people in Ghillie suits hated so much - I always feel exposed in survivor gear, knowing it's the client that dictates what you look like. Think you're wearing all black survivor gear think again, on someone else screen your in light blue pants and shirt sticking out like a sore thumb. I wear any camo I can find and it works well too.

I'll actually change out of a ghillie suit when I go into town.  They don't offer that much concealment in urban areas anyway.  I want to appear seasoned, but approachable.  Not like a Delta Force sniper on a mission.

• Like 1

Well when ever I see a guy in a ghillie I get jumpy.  I have no way to tell if he is a survivor or bandit.  

I for one don't wear ghillie suits unless I'm going to countersnipe.

Oh you sillies. You forget, I am judge, jury and executioner. Why? Because I apply my moral code to the game. Too serious? Too bad, m8

Well when ever I see a guy in a ghillie I get jumpy.  I have no way to tell if he is a survivor or bandit.  

I for one don't wear ghillie suits unless I'm going to countersnipe.

You should try some of the other mods. Breaking Point, for example, has a bunch of interesting skins available. The issue is, once someone puts on another skin you can no longer tell their moral status. Since skins are EVERYWHERE in that gamef it becomes very difficult to determine who is a bandit/hero/survivor. I, for example, have a Hero skin but you can only tell while I am in Civillian clothing and then I stand out like a sore thumb everywhere in the landscape. So I put on Woodland Ranger, Woodland Bandit, Camo, Spec-ops, Urban Spec-ops, or whatever and bled in more, but now people might thing I am a bandit. There are even 7 different ghillies in the game. I honestly think more mods should lock clothing to specific moralities OR have it change appearance some. While it might be hard to tell the difference between a Hero/Survivor/Bandit ghillie while they are hiding in a bush, Woodland Ranger and woodland Bandit seem like opposite ends of the same scale and look fairly different while still letting you blend in a bit.

I play as a friendly player but it's fun to go on a private hive and test out your sniping skills by camping high traffic areas. Hate me if you want but it can feel quite rewarding to make a headshot on a player from 600m, it's not the same on AI.

Oh you sillies. You forget, I am judge, jury and executioner. Why? Because I apply my moral code to the game. Too serious? Too bad, m8

But he's NOT Judge Judy and executioner!!

your a dumb ass, and you think you speaking to a m8 where she is actually a girl. you got some issues.

Rest assured, you are only Judge, Jury and executioner in your own head, MATE.  Additionally, you are under the false assumption that anyone here finds your attempts at being a colossal prick even remotely entertaining.  You have the maturity level of a potato, and we would all appreciate it, if you could possibly tone your special brand of bullshit down a little.... it's starting to stink up the room.

Rest assured, you are only Judge, Jury and executioner in your own head, MATE.  Additionally, you are under the false assumption that anyone here finds your attempts at being a colossal prick even remotely entertaining.  You have the maturity level of a potato, and we would all appreciate it, if you could possibly tone your special brand of bullshit down a little.... it's starting to stink up the room.

lol he is a 16 year old kiddie, explains it.

• Like 1

I like to think DayZ gives everyone the opportunity to be judge, jury and executioner according to their own moral code. :D

One time I was moving through Cherno with my friend. I had a brand new ak 74, my companion was also well armed, and I felt relatively good about the future; when along came a fresh spawn with a pistol, and about twenty zombies on his tail. I did a quick calculation, and decided that the threat he posed to us was actually greater than my value for his life. I shot him twice in the back and continued on my way without a second thought. The zombies began eating him so they didn't pursue us. My companion seemed appalled.

I guess you just go numb after a while.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

I did sniper style in elektro for 4 days or something like :)

was some great moment like when I kill side chat troll but most was wait and looking around fro player with gun :|

for me was good experience, I understand more what is sniper way for think and after I coming home to elektro after holiday in the north I play hunt the sniper :thumbsup:  :P

but for Op I say never feel bad for kill guy with gun if you don't know him what is problem? :P

you think he don't kill you if he have chance for this? :o

• Like 1

No pain Rocky, no pain for killing anonymous people. Gun - threat, no gun - he can get a gun - threat. Unless you have nothing to lose, you shouldnt interact in 'friendly' way with people.

You will feel like a douchebag sometimes, but after another 'friendly' trial, you dont feel a douchebag for a while again.

I hate the posts like "hurr durr, your ruining everyones day". Seriously, you die - you have to live with it :). If not killers, there would be no threat and fun in Dayz. Also, the ones that say so,would kill, because of getting scared to lose their gear.

I personally find few hours on the coast, the most intense moment in one living session.

To kill or to die are your most of choices.