rocket

Hotfix Build 1.7.1.5 Rolling Update

I would suggest having radio's spawn as a tool' date=' when you have a radio you can use global chat by typing or talking.. Simple as that imo..

[/quote']

GENIUS!!! Love it.

Also love what someone said about tinned food being more scarce the further from coast you get - helps new spawns with food, and if things get dire for longer-living players they may have to head back towards the major cities...

Meanwhile' date=' small point, despawning of dead animals, its a bit fast at the moment. There is no time to gut it and take the meat if you are not right next to it when you shot it.

[/quote']

Shit, you're right I just checked.

Also, can you confirm the animals actually move around? I.e. specifically the animal in the incident you are describing. And how fast did it move (should it move faster)

Animals look like they are trying to move, but they are only moving like 0.01 meters a second. Only animal I have seen move fast is the rabbit.

I had to leg it after a cow yesterday, he seemed pissed about something lol...

Grocery stores seem a little barren from what they used to be, was like walking into wal-mart lol. Anyone else notice this? Not even watches there lol, only tin cans full of orphan tears.

Some people say way too much food' date=' some people say way to little....

[/quote']If I may say a word for the little guy ... that would be me and others like me who are currently wandering around, freaked out of our minds, with a modest weapon held in sweaty palms and the original pack and maybe a can of Coke if we got lucky ... oh and usually with significant blood loss and no way to fix it because we're loners by choice ... also because we can't trust anyone and we can't find any FREAKING MATCHES ... there, I got that off my chest.

I was doing fine in the game until 1.70 ... maybe 1.7.1 ... who can remember. Then my style of play no longer worked and I'm still trying to adapt. I can't tell you how many times I've died but I'm getting better slowly. So let's not make it any harder for the time being anyway.

Please don't reduce the amount of tinned food and drink ... if anything I'd like to see it increased a bit. Remember that the more vocal people on this board are going to be the hard core, very experienced players. But the majority of players probably aren't and if the mod gets too hard they'll quit out of frustration and you won't have a good low to middle range of experience to test the product.

It's a great, if currently frustrating mod and I very much appreciate the tremendous amount of work you and your team have put into it.

Joe

I would suggest having radio's spawn as a tool' date=' when you have a radio you can use global chat by typing or talking.. Simple as that imo..

[/quote']

GENIUS!!! Love it.

Also love what someone said about tinned food being more scarce the further from coast you get - helps new spawns with food, and if things get dire for longer-living players they may have to head back towards the major cities...

Meanwhile' date=' small point, despawning of dead animals, its a bit fast at the moment. There is no time to gut it and take the meat if you are not right next to it when you shot it.

[/quote']

Also, can you confirm the animals actually move around? I.e. specifically the animal in the incident you are describing. And how fast did it move (should it move faster)

Animals look like they are trying to move, but they are only moving like 0.01 meters a second. Only animal I have seen move fast is the rabbit.

Sorry, childish maybe but reading that just made me laugh like a school child, not very often you see hardcore gamers saying their having to chase cows lol !

How do you guys feel about this' date=' for the next hotfix:

"Infected hear perfectly through objects (noise reduced by 50% through an object)"

So a line-of-sight check is done before agro'ing audibility - and if cut by terrain/object the power of the sound is reduced by 50%

[/quote']

Sorry to hop in here really late, but can we count terrain as bushes and trees too? I hate when I'm walking in the forest, can't even see where they are, but my eye icon is at 3-4 while I'm crouch running.

[/quote']

GENIUS!!! Love it.

[/quote']

Try killing it before you start cooking it :P

Sugestion for next hotfix

Zombies respawn too fast. Me and my mate jumped supermarket in Zelionogorsk, got agro, shot tons of zombies, it was a ug pile at entrance. Then as fast as we could bandaged our selfs, and in like 10-20s new same size wave rushed in, and then again, bandage, then 10-20s new wave.

I had 4 clips of 12slugs, missed les then 4, so you can count. We ren out to barn near this tawn, shot all that mob, and there zombies respawned after 2min. seams legit...

But in towns... we dont go to towns any more.

And yes, we found dear stand with fokin 20z around? iz it normal...?

Bug report: (running 1.7.1.5 with arma 2 93965)

-Picked up flashlight (the small yellow one) while holding M4A2-rifle, flashlight went to tool-slot, rifle was gone! I was in a house so it's possible it glitched under the floor, in that case for some reasone it dropped and dropping items inside buildings is also still bugged.

- Very very hard to find morphine in relation to it's importance. (might not be considerd a bug, just reporting :))

-Animal movement (or attempts to move) bugged.

-Still somewhat fast agro based on sound. Me boots seem very loud :)

-It is impossible to aim trough iron sights with the new two barreled shotgun,it curves down somehow. Real issue!

-------------------

Love report:

-LOVE the new hatchet (please do same with the knife!) and melee.

-LOVE the zombies following, losing you, looking for you routine. Please make it so they cant see trough bushes and tree's and it's perfection.

-LOVE the idea of audio waking up interest and visual confirmation causing agro.

-LOVE distribution of food and drink loot.Food is ballanced with the animals and Soda could even be turned down some , you have a watercantine guys, f*in use it and keep it filled!

-LOVE the increase in farm animals, please don't change that! It makes sense that there are lots of wild farm animals; you might want to ad cats and dogs (dogs can be dangerous!) so we can eat them mothaf*ckers too! Maybe one day we can use the animals as a distraction for the zombies? Or to carry our sh*t! O_o

-LOVE the flashlight -to- toolbelt routine. (although it seem bugged picking one up as stated above)

-LOVE the bandit system, altough i dont understand it most of the time, but don't give the survivors to much of an advantage, everything else in this game says " Oh i'm sorry, i tought you had balls", so why shouldnt PVP. If you live long enough, you become a bandit no mather what, everyone you do not know is dangerous, c'est la vie.

---------

That's about it. Have more idea's but will post them in the idea's forum.

Just one more thing left to say: Rocket, you are doing an awesome job, you're a friggin genuis man and if you keep doing what you do you can make it big i'm sure! I really hope you read this, and I hope you deeply ignore all the people who cant control themselfs, to them i say 'F*ck off sh*theads, you have no fucking clue howmuch time this man is spending on this thing and you're not paying him a goddamn cent to do so, go play Hello Kitty Adventure!" Thank you very much Rocket, the game industry DESPERATLY needs guys like you and your team.

Z.

Suggestion for the Zombie Aural Investigation Issue:

Add an additional Zombie behavior state: "slow approach".

Make the zombie move towards you slowly if it doesn't have LOS (so it doesn't need an updated investigation position everytime you say "Polo", but instead keeps you as its target but is in said "slow approach" state as opposed to the "all out sprint" state).

In the slow approach state, let it regularly check for visual contact same as while loitering. Whatever crosses its path there will become the new target, now with "all out sprint" mode.

[/quote']

I say there is way too much food. I suggest canned food should be found only rarely in buildings, but should be common on infected corpses. That way people would have a motivation to kill the zed.

Sugestion for next hotfix

Zombies respawn too fast. Me and my mate jumped supermarket in Zelionogorsk' date=' got agro, shot tons of zombies, it was a ug pile at entrance. Then as fast as we could bandaged our selfs, and in like 10-20s new same size wave rushed in, and then again, bandage, then 10-20s new wave.

I had 4 clips of 12slugs, missed les then 4, so you can count. We ren out to barn near this tawn, shot all that mob, and there zombies respawned after 2min. seams legit...

But in towns... we dont go to towns any more.

And yes, we found dear stand with fokin 20z around? iz it normal...?

[/quote']

Me and my mate had same problem, same supermarket,same town. Less zombies tough i think.

I think food and drinks are at a pretty good scarcity level. For people who don't know where to look and are only occasionally finding the low grade buildings with 1-3 loot piles which are often junk, I can imagine that finding enough food and drink could be a bit stressful.

Running through a supermarket a short while ago in 1.7.1.5 I found quite a bit of canned food and drinks, though, so I full understand more seasoned players thinking they're too common.

Drinks did seem more common than canned food, but since thirst seems to affect you more quickly than hunger now (I could be mistaken), it seems sensible enough.

Overall, this does seem like a nice and solid release.

Personally I would like to see zombies back to being how they where but more of them. I think its more fun playing a zombie survival game where the zombies aren't able to see you from incredible distances and hear you if your prone but making more of them spawn and more numbers to deal with rather than having hussein bolt come at you every time - just seems more realistic and fun for me.

Bug report: (running 1.7.1.5 with arma 2 93965)

...{snipped} ...

-LOVE distribution of food and drink loot.Food is ballanced with the animals and Soda could even be turned down some ' date=' you have a watercantine guys, f*in use it and keep it filled![/quote']

...{snipped} ...

Ummm, well no ... no we don't unless we find one and I haven't seen even one since the big update that had the loot glitched and then "re-balanced". I'd love to have a canteen and I know how to refill it and that was a part of my tactics ... before it was no longer part of the starting kit.

I'm not saying bring it back as part of the starting kit, but let's at least try to keep the noobs (which I seem to be most of the time) semi-hydrated in this land of constant rain and no rivers and streams :D

Joe

Food seems pretty good to me at the moment. Usually I have to do quite a bit of scrounging to find any food. Last night on a few characters I couldn't find food at all. On my current character I went into a grocery store and got an ALICE pack and filled it up to the brim with food and soda.

I could see it being a bit more rare. Nothing like being forced to constantly scavenge cities because of lack of food.

I still haven't cooked any food, though. I can never seem to find matches. I have only found a pack of matches once, and on my way out of the building I was shot by a sniper.

The only bug (other than the usual engine bugs) I have encountered is the invisible bodies. I can hear the flies buzzing, search the area, no body. I am guessing it is related to player bodies despawning after some time limit. I was finding flies buzzing with no bodies everywhere in Cherno, but as soon as I went inland I haven't seen it at all yet. If I kill someone and hide the body the flies have stopped every time. So I am guessing it has to do with despawning without the body being hidden.

how about when they hear you trough an object they only go investigate the area? not sprint towards you and chase.

Thoughts on this? I can easily do this.

HOWEVER. There may be a small performance impact from it.

EDIT: Actually' date=' it would keep spamming your position. Would have a major performance impact. I could probably write something on this later. But for now, might not be possible.

[/quote']

I like this idea... Is there a way to leverage the bottle/empty can sound mechanics? Without knowing how that's accomplished, I was wondering whether something like as a player moves, he/she "drops" a static marker for an invisible/inaudible can/bottle sound that the zombies can key in on set at the players volume level (kind of like a sound trail akin to trampling grass while crawling). When the player moves a set distance (eg. 1 metre) the old marker is replaced with a new marker unless that earlier marker was detected by a zombie... Don't know what kind of server/client performance issues you'd get though, with every player literally dragging an invisible can behind them.

But I do like the idea of a sound reduction when out of LOS. I really thing you're dialing in you mod now... Some tweaks here and there, but it's looking good.

how about when they hear you trough an object they only go investigate the area? not sprint towards you and chase.

Thoughts on this? I can easily do this.

HOWEVER. There may be a small performance impact from it.

EDIT: Actually' date=' it would keep spamming your position. Would have a major performance impact. I could probably write something on this later. But for now, might not be possible.

[/quote']

why would there be a performance impact? once the zed hears a noise, just make it go to the new location then act -more or less- random like it was before. all this would do would is make the zombie move to a new specific location. then it returns to the original script-standing around or walking in circles like they do anyway, like they never saw or heard anything. would give the appearance of investigating an area, but wouldnt (i dont think, but i really dont know) have any performance impact over normal.

would there be a difference if i prone up behind it? i mean as far as spamming my location. also, i wouldnt have it run into a building, id have it run in a straight line in the direction of the sound until it comes to a barrier, like a wall. then return to normal scripting.

Hunting and cooking is so fun now with this rear food sistem. I love it. Cooking food is so social. We tend to get guest at our fire place or sit in the woods and chat for a while.

Leave food and animals alone - very good balance. Very social desition to do this.

But less zombies in towns...mother of god i killed 44 my mate did 52 in supermarket and it was still not over.

Some dear stands have 3 zombies some 20. I gues its bug.

Yeah, don't constantly update the zombie "target", make it go (mostly) deaf when it's headed somewhere, just not blind.

How do you guys feel about this' date=' for the next hotfix:

"Infected hear perfectly through objects (noise reduced by 50% through an object)"

So a line-of-sight check is done before agro'ing audibility - and if cut by terrain/object the power of the sound is reduced by 50%

[/quote']

Good, but ya have to take a look at zombie aggro / vision again, they are still seeing / aggroing / attacking through walls, and I feel like trees / bushes / tall grass should break or at least mess up their LOS to you better so you can drop zombie aggro. I spent a long time last night running through tall pines trying to lose zombies to no avail they kept seeing me through the trees / environments, and some houses / other static objects.

Then there is the fact that zombies seem to aggro with their vision sometimes in 360 degrees around them instead of only in the direction they are facing, I noticed this while trying to sneak up behind zombies with my hatchet to kill them, crouch walking, have 3 vision bars and 0 hearing bars, get almost in range to hit the zombie from behind with my axe and he aggros and runs 5 - 10 feet forward, turns around and runs back at me to attack.

It is working pretty good, not perfect but this is still alpha after all :-P so it is understandable.

I still need to test more for further data, but here's my take on the buzz in this thread so far:

Zombie aggro - Love it! They see you easier than 1.7.0, but not from across the city. You can lose them in the bushes, but they hunt after you. They run to the sound of gunfire, but don't immediately aggro to you. All this with no performance hit that I can detect, but I have not yet run a train through Cherno, so that needs more testing.

Food and drink - plentiful in a supermarket, but more rare outside of that. I think this is perfect since it draws players to supermarkets, thereby increasing danger and tension, all while being authentic. Too hot for some, too cold for some, but to me just right. Some are saying they can't find canteens though, maybe that needs a look. I don't think I saw one either. Lone wolves RELY on food to regain health slowly, and this is out only source of nutrition right now, so maybe its too plentiful for people who are running around in a posse full of blood bags but for me its not too plentiful.

Fractured Bones and Morphine - this seems like a real concern. Bones seem to fracture at the drop of a hat and currently I think morphine is ONLY available from hospitals. I liked it better when a bullet wound was your main source of fractures. It was specific to PVP firefights (mostly, unless you were swarmed) and gave them a unique danger.

Animals - they move a little bit, slightly wandering in a small area. The cow I shot disappeared as soon as blood came off of it, and without meat it makes it very hard to live through any kind of zombie whoopsiedoodle. They hit VERY hard now, and shatter your bones with nearly every swing, so 3-4k losses of health from very minor scuffles are common.

So far this is the best version yet, though. Fully featured and very functional with some minor hiccups.

[/quote']

Way to little. I found about 20 soda cans and zero beans in cherno. That's not a balanced ratio.

Also zombies, they should hear better than they see, i can agree there, but there needs to be more work done on the zombies before we can get there I think.

Because if zombies hear you they shouldn't immediately aggro you, they should search and not aggro till they get sight, but they should investigate each and every sound in range of them, in order of proximity and loudness. Priority on loudness.

And they don't necessarily need to do that search animation like someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, I mean you can have them do that "investigation" mode for a few seconds or minutes or whatever if you would like to, but if they would just move to the area of the sound and just go back to normal, walking around "looking" for you, that should work fine as well I would think, no?

But like you said Rocket that might make too much of a performance hit and may not be possible, but I guess we will see, that man not be a feature you can add till this is it's own stand alone game. *shrug*

-It seems like since hospitals are so uncommon, there should be morphine spawns in other places. I know it makes sense to have them spawn in only hospitals, but there needs to be some gameplay concern as well. If you're anywhere up north and not near Berezino's hospital and you break a leg from a doorway, your game is over unless you want to crawl for 10 hours to a hospital.

-Zombies could be the main focus instead of ONLY player-killing if food spawns were less common and zombies had random food and other items spawn on them more often than elsewhere. This would encourage some zombie-killing and people to team-up more often to take over a town. But zombies would have to be fixed first. They keep coming too fast, in constant respawning waves, so sometimes it's hard to open fire in a town at all and make it out alive. Once zombies respawning is working better, and they have food on them more often than random spawn-points, shooting them would all of the sudden become more of a necessity.

[/quote']

-As i mentioned before, i think it would be great if there would be a decreasing chance of food spawn. Not sure how to implement it though.

I think the spawnrate of food is a bit too high atm but well its percentage based after all.

-Hatchets spawnrate on the other hand seems way to high at the moment. Checked 3 Barns today found 5 hatchets. Might not be an issue cause its also percentage based.

-I thought about the Nighttime "issue" if it is one. How about attaching your Flashlight to your cahracter somehow? Maybe on the shoulder or something like that. Or the chemlights like they did in ACE?