rocket

Hotfix Build 1.7.1.5 Rolling Update

Noticed oddidities:

- Spawning rate of food is too high (20+ in one supermarket in Stary)

- Spawing rate of morphine is very low (none found outside of hospitals)

- Zeds break bones relativly often (~20 hits -> 4x broken bones) I do not think that one out of 5 hits can break a leg bone.

- Zeds never make me get pain (~20 hits)

- Audibility is low (1 bar while crouched running)

I have no morphine... I will not kill myself again... therefore I have to wait for someone to help me or for one morphine spawning somewhere close to me.

Even though I love myself a good Zombie discussion this isn't really the right place. :)

Zombies does not have to be dead. The classical ones were put in a deadlike state by drugs. But not dead. The ones before that were magical folklore and stuff.

The "zombies" in this game ARE called infected.

EDIT: The whole idea of cannibalistic zombies is a very modern concept' date=' started by Romero.

[/quote']

where? where has anyone involved in the creation of this mode used the word infected? of course i could have missed it, but everywhere i look they say zombies or zeds. not infected. i guess i start calling it DAYI rather then DAYZ. and to the world, the people that were put in a deadlike state by drugs were in fact dead. they were as dead to the world as a real zombie is to the world-not real. anyway, if you want to say they were zombies i say no, they were infected. because they were put into this state by an outside force-infected by drugs, and generally not spreadable. the accepted definition of zombie here in 2012 is in fact returning from the dead and spreading the infection to other people. of course it is some kind of infection, but to be a zombie, the person must have died.

Zombo aggro seems okay to me but PLEASE do something about the broken bones!

They are too common with bugs in ARMA2 and it seems like getting hit by zombies causes them too often as well. Either make people spawn with morphine again or give an option to set your own broken bones without any special item. Make it take a minute and be really loud (screaming) or something so that it is dangerous to do and you need to find a safe spot first.

why should zombies be so aware when they are fucking dead and all their senses are made of rotted biological material...it's lame.

They're not actually dead. So that helps. Think 28 Days/Weeks Later - "Infected" not rotten corpses.

if they are not actually dead they are not actually zombies.

That's why they are called infected.

And being a zombie really has nothing to do with being dead.

it has everything to do with being dead. and not just in the movies. even in old voodoo times it was the dead that would rise and be slaves. and without a back story yet' date=' the dev team calls them zombies, not infected. that infers to me that they are indeed dead. so they should be rotting and Rigor mortis should be (eventually) be a factor.

[/quote']

FYI rocket says the correct term for this game is infected, but zombie is used widely as an informal approximation

ALSO!----> breaking bones too often? people should let go of the notion of that if something is higher than before, its too high, and it lower, its too low. Also the notion that harder is always worse. Zombies are a bigger threat now, which is good. they were pussies before hand.

Out of morphine. Crawling...

Too many animals now imho

They still do not move much better.

Imho wounded animals should attack and hurt you. Boars, goats, cows can easily hurt and cut irl

Give them a chance for zombie attack pattern when shot at, or chance to run like a rabbit. Would be more realistic

How do you guys feel about this' date=' for the next hotfix:

"Infected hear perfectly through objects (noise reduced by 50% through an object)"

So a line-of-sight check is done before agro'ing audibility - and if cut by terrain/object the power of the sound is reduced by 50%

[/quote']

YES! I just had a Zombie hear me through a concrete building because I was tip-toeing on the other side of the wall. PLEASE DO THIS!

I tend to agree that the increase in zombie bone breaking and the reduction in morphine spawns has made things problematic.

Even though I love myself a good Zombie discussion this isn't really the right place. :)

Zombies does not have to be dead. The classical ones were put in a deadlike state by drugs. But not dead. The ones before that were magical folklore and stuff.

The "zombies" in this game ARE called infected.

EDIT: The whole idea of cannibalistic zombies is a very modern concept' date=' started by Romero.

[/quote']

where? where has anyone involved in the creation of this mode used the word infected? of course i could have missed it, but everywhere i look they say zombies or zeds. not infected. i guess i start calling it DAYI rather then DAYZ. and to the world, the people that were put in a deadlike state by drugs were in fact dead. they were as dead to the world as a real zombie is to the world-not real. anyway, if you want to say they were zombies i say no, they were infected. because they were put into this state by an outside force-infected by drugs, and generally not spreadable. the accepted definition of zombie here in 2012 is in fact returning from the dead and spreading the infection to other people. of course it is some kind of infection, but to be a zombie, the person must have died.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=341&pid=2941#pid2941

Close enough

They're not actually dead. So that helps. Think 28 Days/Weeks Later - "Infected" not rotten corpses.

it has everything to do with being dead. and not just in the movies. even in old voodoo times it was the dead that would rise and be slaves. and without a back story yet' date=' the dev team calls them zombies, not infected. that infers to me that they are indeed dead. so they should be rotting and Rigor mortis should be (eventually) be a factor.

[/quote']

FYI rocket says the correct term for this game is infected, but zombie is used widely as an informal approximation

ALSO!----> breaking bones too often? people should let go of the notion of that if something is higher than before, its too high, and it lower, its too low. Also the notion that harder is always worse. Zombies are a bigger threat now, which is good. they were pussies before hand.

if rocket did say that then they absolutely should not be rotting. because they are not zombies. that would explain why they can run so fast. can you tell me where he said this so i can see for myself? and dont send me to that youtube video, im not signing up for anything like that.

edit: in that link he does not actually call them "infected" he basically calls them fast zombies. but whatever.

Who the fuck cares if they are called infected or zombies? Keep it on topic in here, will ya? We just want to talk about bugs.

And yes, broken bones seem too common now.

-Less broken bones

-Love the new ability to actually loose zed's with line-of-sight

-Audibility levels are pristine

-I seem to aggro zeds even tho they're inside (Please fix this)

-Would like to spawn with a bit more. (ex: Medical supplies and at least one piece of food and a coke or something)

-Idea here, each time you spawn have a chance to spawn with a different type of secondary ammo. (Still no weapon tho. I like spawning without a weapon)

-Increase tent spawns. (They are next to impossible to find)

-Going off the tent notion, have military, and non-military tents. Have the non-military have less space or something, but a higher spawn rate. (Different model would be nice to see too)

Just some suggestions, hope they get noticed. :3

WTF?

I'm so depressed right now... I've been alive for 6 days on my char, had a silent M4 CCO, a ghillie suit, an M107, a 24-slot coyote backpack, all the good stuff except NVGs. Today I update my DayZ and arma to latest versions for both, log in to my server and it presents me with gender selection... :'( I DID NOT DIE! Somehow my char got eaten by the main database... :(

Is there anything there can be done about this? Who do I contact for this? You can check all the data, I had not logged in since yesterday and I logged out alive then, now I log in after updating and I'm on the coast with shit...

GODDAMMIT i'm so mad

Some people say way too much food' date=' some people say way to little....

[/quote']

I've noticed an insane amount of tin cans. In barns, firestation, and residences I noticed about 1/2 the loot was tin cans! Is this just my terrible luck or the Bean Wars taking on a whole new form?!

Edit: I like the idea about sound reduction through objects! Can't wait to see flashlights not shine through objects/walls as well... But I'm damn sure that is an engine issue D:

Edit2: Bones tend to break alot. I was trying to do some rough calculations if someone who has ripped muscles could swing with a claw like motion and break a humans leg... Didn't seem like the force was possible :X

Some people say way too much food' date=' some people say way to little....

[/quote']

I've noticed an insane amount of tin cans. In barns, firestation, and residences I noticed about 1/2 the loot was tin cans! Is this just my terrible luck and the Bean Wars taking on a whole new form?!

I have no trouble finding food...you shouldn't expect to find it in the first building you go in to.

Also, apparently the chance of broken bones has increased...I don't think that is a good idea

Who the fuck cares if they are called infected or zombies? Keep it on topic in here' date=' will ya? We just want to talk about bugs.

And yes, broken bones seem too common now.

[/quote']

right. so does anyone have something new? or are the next 60 pages going to about broken bones and aggro and food?

after a good 4 hour session, here are the bugs i encountered:

- flies still buzzing when a body has disappeared, encountered this a few times, but could never find a body.

- still can't place tents easily

- zombies still spawn very close to the player some of the time.

now some plus points:

- i LOVE the way zombies are acting now, its not too easy to lose them, but it is possible, me and a mate got absolutely swarmed in a general store and had to eventually shoot our way out, and then made a break for it, losing the rest as we weaved through the town, was great fun!

- its great that the flashlight can now be stored in the tool belt, really, really helpful!

- the ability to switch ammo types between guns seems to be working fine

- the green bars by the ammo mags is great, but i find the bars themselves stay in the empty slot in the bag/inventory if the mag is removed, only a minor issue and i believe they disappear when a new item is placed in the slot.

now some odd things:

- MASSIVE piles of loot. not sure if this is a bug or what, but basically me and my mate were looting the industrial area around the lumber mill in berezino and there were huge piles of loot on the ground, like, maybe 15 items in a pile. It was cool, though i'm not sure if it was intentional.

i'm sure there was something else, but I can't recall it right now, i'll post again if i do! All in all, it seems to have been a pretty great update!

- MASSIVE piles of loot. not sure if this is a bug or what' date=' but basically me and my mate were looting the industrial area around the lumber mill in berezino and there were huge piles of loot on the ground, like, maybe 15 items in a pile. It was cool, though i'm not sure if it was intentional.

[/quote']

Maybe someone was just loot farming there?

I am going to have to agree here. Registered just to whine but it is worth it' date=' as I love this game, been playing it since it was released.

Zeds agro way too easily now, it is at a point to where you just stop being stealthy because their is nothing you can do in most situations now. It is easy to kill them and such and hide away from them going from building to building.

What it is doing for me though, it is ruining the fun game play of stealth. Now it seems like every new life, 70 to 80% of people are just running around just trying to get lucky. This use to not be the case automatically. You use to be able to run through towns with stealth and get what you need in 5 to 10 minutes, 15 at the most for some fun intensity and wild situations.

Now if you want to do that, you have to spend at least 15 to 30 minutes in trying to be stealthy, which you have to take a lot of precaution due to Zed OP view distance and such.

Frankly, I'm not going to waste my free time to loot a small town that use to take 5 minutes most with stealth, now it takes 15 to 20 for nothing most of the time. So in-conclusion, I ruin others game play and mine by just saying 'screw it, going in, nothing i can do here.'

Zombie view distance and sound indicators should be reverted back to v1.6.0, while keeping current attack fixes etc.

[/quote']

I totaly dont agree here, for me Zeds feel on point. ( they could even hit harder if its for me, so you cant just stand there being triggerhappy. I mean its a survival game/mod not another pwepwe Resident Evil-Dead Rising-L4D-etc. game :D if its not hard to survive whats the point at all ?? )

Every Zed i aggrod today, i know why i did and not once was i thinking i couldnt avoid that situation.

Ever tryed to distract them with empty cans ? its fun ;)

The mod gives you so many ways for "Raid" an town/lootspot,

sneak in - shoot a few zeds in your way with silenced weapons - kill them with a melee weapon if they see you - distract them with cans - sniper them from far away - run in and break the LOS with a building - just play rambo, running in kill everything - or mix some of that ways....

The game is still very easy don't get me wrong. I am just saying, some of the game play has been ruined, because all I usually see now if I go to the coast. People just run around, sometimes just to troll and drop their agros off on someone else. I am at the point where I just sit back at the forest of electro and cherno and just shoot people coming out, got everything you can get and such.

But when my group goes into town, it is just random chaos now. Now that is not a bad thing, it is the only way to have fun in the game now. I am just saying, you can see the change in game play now for new characters.

[/quote']

if rocket did say that then they absolutely should not be rotting. because they are not zombies. that would explain why they can run so fast. can you tell me where he said this so i can see for myself? and dont send me to that youtube video, im not signing up for anything like that.

edit: in that link he does not actually call them "infected" he basically calls them fast zombies. but whatever.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16919 see the title, there was another where he specifies, but its lost on me where it is.

But yeah if you did watch that video interview with TB, he mentions specifically that they are Infected, not Zombies. Don't worry Youtube requires no account to view most videos, except for age verification vids, and will not give you or your computer AIDS, unless you're just hipster :P

Ontopic: LOS checks are being toned down as it is, because they are too performance degrading. Doubling the LOS checks by adding one for sound seems too intensive, if even possible.

I'm about a week into the game. Died about a million times between stupid mistakes and hotfix bugs.

However from what i can tell as a fairly new player, this patch is rock solid. I was able to find food, med supplies, ammo, a gun was kind of a pain to find but eventually came across one. Zombie agro range and line of sight seem to be working well.

As for melee weapons, Hands down the best addition I've seen. Huge boon for new players and of course those stalkerdly discrete silent kills.

Thanks for all the hard work ~.~

Me and my friend went to the airfield last night. He died to a player, and I was alive, so I ran out of there, and found a heli crash site. I killed all the zombies, approached and looted, there was 2 bizon and 4 ammo for them. I was really really happy, my toolbelt was full, but then, when a took a few steps away from the heli crash, lots of zombies (no joke, like 8 or 10 military zombies) spawned and started running after me. I had 9k left, the pilot managed to hit me once, I fainted, broke a bone, and got eaten by them. All I could see in the screen was: "You are dead".

Is there any way to fix this insanity? I DID kill all of them, but when I moved away, they magically spawned and raped me. I do not like that.

TL;DR: Zombies in Heli Crash spawn as soon as you take a few steps away from the heli.

Sugestion: add kevlar armor. I unloaded my AK-47 at the guy who shot my friend, and he managed to fire a shot before he died, and my friend got hit ONCE - and had 12k hp - and died.

Thanks for the hotfix, it works wonders so far.

- MASSIVE piles of loot. not sure if this is a bug or what' date=' but basically me and my mate were looting the industrial area around the lumber mill in berezino and there were huge piles of loot on the ground, like, maybe 15 items in a pile. It was cool, though i'm not sure if it was intentional.

[/quote']

Maybe someone was just loot farming there?

thats what i thought at first, however we then went to the building site just east of Polana, and it was the same situation there, huge piles of loot all over the place. So we went down to the factory just north of solnichniy and once again, same situation.... it wasnt a bad thing exactly lol, i mean, we got loads of loot we needed (except for engine parts, which was what we were looking for the whole time). we just assumed it was some common thing with industrial areas that had recently been tweaked, but it might have just been on that server (NY8) at that time, who knows.

Me and my friend went to the airfield last night. He died to a player' date=' and I was alive, so I ran out of there, and found a heli crash site. I killed all the zombies, approached and looted, there was 2 bizon and 4 ammo for them. I was really really happy, my toolbelt was full, but then, when a took a few steps away from the heli crash, lots of zombies (no joke, like 8 or 10 military zombies) spawned and started running after me. I had 9k left, the pilot managed to hit me once, I fainted, broke a bone, and got eaten by them. All I could see in the screen was: "You are dead".

Is there any way to fix this insanity? I DID kill all of them, but when I moved away, they magically spawned and raped me. I do not like that.

TL;DR: Zombies in Heli Crash spawn as soon as you take a few steps away from the heli.

Sugestion: add kevlar armor. I unloaded my AK-47 at the guy who shot my friend, and he managed to fire a shot before he died, and my friend got hit ONCE - and had 12k hp - and died.

Thanks for the hotfix, it works wonders so far.

[/quote']

Kevlar armor seems like a bad idea to me, all the bandits who camp the military bases would just get them and then they would be impossible to kill. But the spawning is definitely an issue. Isn't it just possible to put a, say 15 minute, delay to zombie spawning once they have been killed? It gives you adequate time to loot if you decide to (or are forced to) kill zeds. After all you do waste a lot of ammo for that, so it should be a viable strategy. At the moment it isn't.

[/quote']

IF THERE NOT ZOMBIES WHAT THE FUCK DOES THE "Z" STAND FOR IN dayZ!?!?

"Z" is just the abbreviation, because of the spelling: ZED.

ZED is itself an acronym and it stands for:

Z: Zoonotic

E: Environmentally (transmitted)

D: Disease

Since the back story of this, is all about an unknown infection transmitted by animals to the humans (similar to the rabies).

The above has been confided to me by rocket during a night of sex (yes, he did the female).