(TMW) Marion Mic

First Vs. Third Person Poll (Post your vote here, after reading Dslyecxi video discussion)

First Vs. Third Person Poll (Reply here after reading Dslyecxi video discussion)  

136 members have voted

1. 1. First Person View VS. Third Person View

• (1st) First Person View
    • (3rd) Third Person View

sure, but are we, the mod forum addicts, really represent the entire community? :)

Oh dear God I hope not. :)

Can't someone just post a link to this on reddit? Or maybe just start the same poll over there to get some more people involved? Not to prove anyone right or wrong, but it might just be good for Team Rocket to have at least some data :)

(I'm not creating an account on reddit, leave me out of it!)

Oh dear God I hope not. :)

Can't someone just post a link to this on reddit? Or maybe just start the same poll over there to get some more people involved? Not to prove anyone right or wrong, but it might just be good for Team Rocket to have at least some data :)

(I'm not creating an account on reddit, leave me out of it!)

This poll is already pointed in reddit. However, as always, it does not get so much attention. Someone really should make a separate poll about it.

Edited by SoulHunter

Well, who is given a f*ck about who represents what? We, the hardcore community, which is the main objective regarding to Dean, is saying that third person sucks. Simple as that. We want First Person only, or at least don't let it be an admin option, but a main server controlled thing. You know, 70.75% = first person servers and the rest third person. I don't give a sh*t, but I don't want the same disaster as in DayZ Mod.

Erm...  Just the vocal ones.  A lot of people, especially the third person camp, are pretty tired of this topic.  We've only beaten this horse once a month for over a year.

We might be. No one can know if it does or not. And in literal, it is literally impossible to find out exactly how many of the peeps of a community would want something and others something else unless "everyone" in the community would vote in the polls and such regarding community activities.

I also do not think that the rates represent everyone that play dayz, however I dont think that the rates would be so much different.

I'm pretty sure we'll see different results the day a video of or when we play the new and improved third person or if it's completely removed.  

I'm pretty sure we'll see different results the day a video of or when we play the new and improved third person or if it's completely removed.  

At such rates I am also pretty sure to see that happening as well. =) There is of course the possibility that the rates could remain always the same (even after zero, eg: -/+ 0,342%) after applying all those actions one by one, which is pretty much small tho.

Edit: There your poll goes guys: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pZqrOkddl42aICeOf7EBAGqAwEHgLwbiYJlIJj2Sil4/viewform

Edited by SoulHunter

This third person debate is dumb. There is a compromise, and a way to satisfy both sets of groups. Have FPS and TPS only servers, done deal.

If thats not a possibility, then there's alternatives. Moving the camera to the left when you're trying to look around a corner thats to your right. Move the camera lower when you're proning behind a small fence so you cant see over it.

Though I do like the idea of first person only vehicles. I personally only ever play in third person, even when it comes to shooting. And we all know shooting in third person is much harder. Even having a delay or a menu option for going third to first person would make it better, that way people cant change on the fly.

Edited by I.Ash

I don't want to get locked into third person only.

I dont want people locked into third person only. But I dont want people locked into first person only. Making it an option in settings makes sure people can't change it on the fly, which is a major problem. We all know you can shoot better in first person, so make it difficult. You shouldn't be able to have the advantage of third person, with the quick change to first person for shooting. Hey, make it like a gender option. Can only choose one option when you start a new character.

Eitherway, I think a dynamic character like in Max Payne 3 would be the best option. When you hug a corner/close to a corner, the camera moves away from it so you cant look around the corner. Or when you're ducking behind cover, the camera moves closer and down so you can't look over unless your aiming.

The dynamic camera also helps make the game feel more 'real' and gives the view a lot less of a static view

first person on character, third person in vehicles. maybe that would be a good way to see your character and don't have someone exploiting it for seeing farther than one should...

I'm definitely for the removal of 3DP. I will continue to use it while playing in servers with it enabled so as to not put myself at a disadvantage though.

• Like 2

I'm really having a hard time to decide here.

I really like the immersion and realism of first person. I also agree that 3rd person is prone to abuse.

But I also really like to be able to look at my character and see my gear and the glorious animations. And it's much more comfortable to look at when running long distances.

If there was an option "3rd and 1st with restrictions", I'd immediately choose that one. Like forcing the player into 1st when he unholsters a weapon, when he goes prone, ...

I also hope they make Motion Blur and Post-Processing two different settings. PP makes the game look great while MB makes you sick.

I also hope they make Motion Blur and Post-Processing two different settings. PP makes the game look great while MB makes you sick.

They have. You can control motion blur and bloom independently of PPE.

• Like 1

If 3rd person never existed for DayZ, NOBODY would be asking for it.

And there would be no thread and no discussion :)

• Like 2

And there would be no thread and no discussion :)

That also works if there was never a first person option in DayZ though...

Would have worked just fine. I would have never been lured to play it.
  • Like 2

sure, but are we, the mod forum addicts, really represent the entire community? :)

It's the closest representation we have of opinions.

Also, as was discussed on the other thread, the SA has a 3d model of your character in the inventory so you can still admire them without having 3rd person on.

• Like 1

Hardly, because of all of the negative points third person brings. And the fact that lack of first person would be ultra silly in a game like this. And that you need to go into first person to aim down the ironsights.

• Like 1

Hardly, because of all of the negative points third person brings. And the fact that lack of first person would be ultra silly in a game like this. And that you need to go into first person to aim down the ironsights.

I don't think you can compare DayZ to a standard FPS though. I agree with the negative point of third person being discussed but I find the game generally looks better in third and so is more immersive. The fact that you use iron sights to aim is irrelevant and works quite well with third person.

I dont want people locked into third person only. But I dont want people locked into first person only. Making it an option in settings makes sure people can't change it on the fly, which is a major problem. We all know you can shoot better in first person, so make it difficult. You shouldn't be able to have the advantage of third person, with the quick change to first person for shooting. Hey, make it like a gender option. Can only choose one option when you start a new character.

Eitherway, I think a dynamic character like in Max Payne 3 would be the best option. When you hug a corner/close to a corner, the camera moves away from it so you cant look around the corner. Or when you're ducking behind cover, the camera moves closer and down so you can't look over unless your aiming.

The dynamic camera also helps make the game feel more 'real' and gives the view a lot less of a static view

That severely limits the way I play.  Certain cameras are used for certain situations.  If I'm moving through thick trees, I switch to first.  If I'm indoors, I switch to first, especially if there's there's a player near.  If I'm flying, I switch to first.  If I'm having trouble finding crossbow bolts, I switch to first.  

Locking the camera is going to give one set of players an advantage over the other.  Isn't that what we're trying to avoid?

It's the closest representation we have of opinions.

Also, as was discussed on the other thread, the SA has a 3d model of your character in the inventory so you can still admire them without having 3rd person on.

That's not the same at all.

It's been a week since this poll was created, been a constant large majority for first person since the beginning... who is the minority of players again?

• Like 1

That severely limits the way I play.  Certain cameras are used for certain situations.  If I'm moving through thick trees, I switch to first.  If I'm indoors, I switch to first, especially if there's there's a player near.  If I'm flying, I switch to first.  If I'm having trouble finding crossbow bolts, I switch to first.  

Locking the camera is going to give one set of players an advantage over the other.  Isn't that what we're trying to avoid?

That's not the same at all.

Well... not really. People who shoot in third person are at a disadvantage against people who shoot in first person. It's further away and has a more of a 'sniping'-like target. Anyone who argues that shooting in third person is the same as shooting in first person is dumb. My point was that there needs to be sacrifices if you choose to play in third person so that using that option only ever puts you at an advantage. Yes, you get more of a surrounding view then someone who plays in first person, but you're still not going to shoot nearly as well in a shoot-out.

Eitherway, I think a dynamic camera like in Max Payne 3 is the best way to go.

And for those saying that 'if this game was first person only, no one would be complaining'... If this was third person only, no one would be complaining. It's selfish for people to say "even though we have alternatives such as FPS servers only... lets just not give ANYONE a choice and cater to the minority". Cause I sure as hell wouldnt buy the game if it was a FPS only game.

I dont want this to be a first person only game, just like I dont want it to be a third person only game. I want everyone to have their OWN option of playing. To take away third person now would be to cut out a part of your audience,

And for those saying that 'if this game was first person only, no one would be complaining'... If this was third person only, no one would be complaining. It's selfish for people to say "even though we have alternatives such as FPS servers only... lets just not give ANYONE a choice and cater to the minority". Cause I sure as hell wouldnt buy the game if it was a FPS only game.

I dont want this to be a first person only game, just like I dont want it to be a third person only game. I want everyone to have their OWN option of playing. To take away third person now would be to cut out a part of your audience,

Sorry, I would complain, Any game/simulator with a firearm/Sword imho should have a first person camera since its much much more immersive and in a Zombie apocalypse military SIMULATOR  (yeah because irl we dont have a camera 2mts above me/behind me UH BUT U HAVE BETTER AWARENESS, dude, stfu thats retarded). Yeah splinter cell has 3p camera, is that a sim? definetly not, leave 3rd p camera for the more forgiving/arcade games and not for the games like arma/dayz where if u peek out of a corner and there is a guy in 3p u will die. Maybe in splinter cell if u peek out of that corner u will take damage and not die but here u die, u lose your equipment (weeks of farming maybe?) only because 3p camera is always enabled. And no, I wouldnt be the first person complaining. Hell I bet if we only had 3p camera, after a week or so of releasing the mod a lot of people would be complaining about the lack of a 1p camera, not to say if the SA came out without 1p cam, that would be like a nuclear bomb...

Edit: apologies for my grammar errors

Edited by DerrocK

The Results: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pZqrOkddl42aICeOf7EBAGqAwEHgLwbiYJlIJj2Sil4/viewanalytics

The rates were not so stable at the beginning, but after a while the rate was like "66% for FPV" "33% for both FPV and TPV" and seems like after getting much more votes did not change this fact. The rates are still almost the same.

The poll on the forums shows that 70-75% of the forum members want FPV instead of TPV. This poll shows that 66% of the reddit users would prefer FPV over TPV. That is pretty much end of the research, I am guessing.

As a sight note, almost everyone (even those who don't want only FPV) seems to be well aware of the fact that the TPV is often used to cheat (like looking over fences, behind doors/corners/whatnot.).

I hope this community activity would enlighten some issues and help them to be solved more easily.

Thanks for participating the research everyone!

Regards

• Like 1

So can we conclude that the majority of 3rd person players don't frequent the forums or reddit?

Since these figures are disregarded by the 3rd person brigade for some reason what is your conclusion?

The hard core players (ie those that can be bothered to voice opinions on forums) are pro 1st while the casual is 3rd?

My other question is like the chicken and the egg. Did 3rd enabled servers come first or did players demand them? 

Reminds me of political polls - the loser always says they don't matter and the winner always says they do.

• Like 3

Up next, a poll about side chat, 1000+ vehicle servers, and civvy weapons.

The Results: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pZqrOkddl42aICeOf7EBAGqAwEHgLwbiYJlIJj2Sil4/viewanalytics

The rates were not so stable at the beginning, but after a while the rate was like "66% for FPV" "33% for both FPV and TPV" and seems like after getting much more votes did not change this fact. The rates are still almost the same.

The poll on the forums shows that 70-75% of the forum members want FPV instead of TPV. This poll shows that 66% of the reddit users would prefer FPV over TPV. That is pretty much end of the research, I am guessing.

As a sight note, almost everyone (even those who don't want only FPV) seems to be well aware of the fact that the TPV is often used to cheat (like looking over fences, behind doors/corners/whatnot.).

I hope this community activity would enlighten some issues and help them to be solved more easily.

Thanks for participating the research everyone!

Regards

It would be nice if the FP camp would quit using the term "cheat" when discussing the proper use of the third person camera.   It only serves to inflame others and probably has a lot to do with the overall tone of these debates.

Edited by SausageKingofChicago
  • Like 1