strideynet

Am I old enough.

Dear community of Dayz,

I am strideynet and am 12 nearly 13, I have been lurking this game for some time and would quite like to play. I decided to consult my Dad as the Arma engine is 15 rated. He has told me that he would like to look into it. My teachers say I am mature and my vocal pitch has never been complained about on Garrys Mod servers and other VOIP applications. Basically, do you want my kind in your game and if so would you say this game is suitable (Not too gory).

Thanks

• Like 20

Yeah definitely mate, the game itself isn't really gory so your parents have nothing to worry about  :thumbsup:

• Like 7

Maturity is behavior, not age.  I've played with 12 year olds more mature than 30 somethings in different games.  As long as your parents are alright with it I don't mind you playing.  It's the shrieking masses that think crouching repeatedly over a dead person is the point of the game that I can't stand.

• Like 14

I was thirteen when I started playing, no biggy.

• Like 4

Hello there

One needs to be aware of the age guidelines surrounding games, and I personally think that's what they are.

Guidelines.

Not scripture set in stone.

IMHO unless you are of a delicate persuasion there's nothing in the default Arma game or mod that should upset or shock you, especially in comparison to other computer games and movies/tv that you may have encountered.

Very pleased to hear you consult with your father to get his opinion. Good stuff.

As to your vocal pitch, no one with any intelligence should care about that, it's your attitude that counts.

Im 43 and im incredibly immature compared to many my age, but I seem to do ok online. Be a nice person and stick to the written and unwritten rules and you will be fine, squeaky or not.

If you or your father have any more questions about the games suitability, please don't hesitate to ask.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 14

Most games these days allow you to murder people and kill things, so you are probably accustomed to this.

God forbid you hear any swearing or nudity, that will corrupt you.

Enjoy the game!

I'm 14 now, and my parents don't really care all that much about what I play.

ArmA II is not gory at all, as most of your engagements and gun fights will be over a distance anyway, so the blood that does splatter will be next to invisible. The corpses have some blood on their limbs and faces, but nothing too bad. DayZ does have a lot more CQC engagements but again, it is only a 'cloud' of blood that disappears pretty quickly.

There is a slight bit of swearing, but its not constant or excessive.

I have not come across any nudity, sex or anything like that in ArmA II before.

While on the topic of suggestive things in ArmA II how many of you have looked in one of the Cherno chimneys?

Just my 2 cents
As it has been said already, its more a question of actual maturity rather than a specific age. 13 year olds can be as mature as 30 year olds and 43 year olds... well... Orlok said it himself.
The gore in the game is really of no concern at all. You see more gore walking home from school than you see in this game. On the other hand I would like to point out that I do think it takes some emotional maturity to play this game. We all know we dont really get emotionally attached to the usual FPS games. It dosent seem that people care to much for their Battlefield "avatar" anyway. But in Dayz you seem to get more attached to your player and you will have interactions with other players that you wont have experienced in any other game.
I dont want to sound grumpy or old, I just want to point out that it does take some kind of maturity to play the game (I dont talk about behaving as a mature person, but more to be mentally mature... there is a difference). 

So to sum it up, I wont blindly recommend a 12 yo guy to play the game, but then again, I dont know you. So if your mature enough for it, good on you. And I am not going to lie to you, it is an awesome game.

(And I dont need another person to be a kill on sight person just because he cant engage in any other interactions in the game. But thats a whole different discussion)

Edited by Kozak
  • Like 2

Hey there.

To be honest, I'd personally want someone like you to join our community.

Not only are you honest with your age but you've gone out of your way to not only ensure you pass the age requirements but to actually consult your parent when you found out you were too young.

I don't care if you're a "squeaker" or not, you're plenty mature to join us in my books.

If you end up getting the game, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to walk you through setting it up.

• Like 17

As has been said, not too much gore.
If your dad really think it's a problem, you can disable all blood (splatter and blood on the player/enemy) in the options, which removes absolutely all blood in the game.

Thanks guys. Maybe you need to pin a thread like this somewhere. Alot of parents try to gauge what kids should/shouldnt play. Maybe a thread with peoples advice on what they want in new players and who they think the game is suitable for.

• Like 2

The only gore you will see in DayZ is the weird blood animation. It doesn't even look like blood for a start. Also you play Garry's Mod, there is more gore in that than DayZ/Arma.

Edited by BwobBwub

You Sir,

Are far more Mature than me.

Have these Beans.

Well, sure you can play it, but with 12 years this game could be really stressful. Hell, I am 19 and this game kicks ass. You should not wonder if you get some grey hairs ;)

But, I would not recommend you to play DayZ Mod, it is nothing like DayZ was supposed to be. If you like the mod, you could not like the SA, because it will be way more back to the roots. You should wait until the SA releases, it should not take too long because they just need to get the bubble to work, maybe even within the next month. However, DayZ Mod will give you an entire different image of the original game.

Playing DayZ Mod right now is like playing Call of Duty or Battlefield just that you have to run 90% of the time.

Unrelated.

This guy vs Inception at maturity contest.

• Like 8

my dad say 'old enough for make bleed this guy, is old enough for butcher this one' :thumbsup:  :P

you say too much mature way in this OP, some guys I meet are 25 year old guys and brain is stay like baby brains :lol:

welcome and enjoy this shit :)

Edited by KoS
  • Like 1

Unrelated.

Please make this happen

• Like 2

Please make this happen

I will do everything in my ever so elite and superior powers to get this to happen.

• Like 1

I will participate in said contest at the charge of 6 bean tins filled to the brim...

:beans:

For beans be the staple of all the beings in this world.

Unrelated.

why

• Like 1

You should be ok. Just stay away from guys offering free rides in their little blue van.

• Like 7

Hello there

One thing I just remembered (my apologies im a little busy) is that although many will find the actual game fairly inoffensive, please remember that the folk playing it may not be polite and may chat about 15+ topics.

Mostly though there is little chat compared to other games and people can be rude/offensive anywhere.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 4