joe_mcentire

[SA] Dodging-Button/Animation

So when watching the "new" devblog (@ around 4:15) and the "odd dodging" technique (simply by running around in circles) used against the jumping groupie ladies i had this strange idea:

Why can't there be some sort of dodge-button/animation? Something you can hit on, when you have to react pretty darn quick to save your or one's hide.

examples:

• a car tries to run you over --> throw your body out of the line of danger
  • someone draws suddenly his weapon --> throw your body out of the line of danger
  • a crazy groupie tries to jump-hump you --> throw your body out of the line of danger

You could vary it and could do some sort of animation "tree":

• 1st level: a forceful leap forward or to the sides, to get you out of slight troubles
  • 2nd level: a "in the last second" animation where you really would throw your body out of your current body's center of gravity (diving if you will)

in a way like in Max Payne, but yeah without the guns and the shooting

YDflXBW.jpg?1 yz0HMj4.jpg?1

And what if you could do, with this mentioned animation, the same as zeds can do currently in the mod: knock someone over....

edit #1:

btw. how to dodge a bullet: watch from ~3:49

edit #2:

of course those examples maybe now a bit of an exaggeration or seem to be over-arcady, but you hopefully get the point.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 5

Lol, but I like running people over.

They be thinking, oh u can't touch me I gotta gun then you getting closer and zig zagging he all like oh sheit! An pow ded.

ha jumping zeds would be the least thing you would be annoyed by then ;)

:P

Edited by joe_mcentire

2nd level: a "in the last second" animation where you really would throw your body out of your current body's center of gravity (arms ahead, body in a more or less horizontal position)

Video or more explanation on this would be nice

• Like 1

Video or more explanation on this would be nice

you know how much time i spent to find a proper pic hahah....yeah i know this

you know how much time i spent to find a proper pic hahah....yeah i know this

I do not think it is possible to dodge a bullet with in a few hundreds meters after the gun fired and the bullet is aimed at the person.

I do not think it is possible to dodge a bullet with in a few hundreds meters after the gun fired and the bullet is aimed at the person.

surely you could if it is not directly pointed at the center of your body and an additional given luck, long distance etc... at least in a situation like this you would  try to expose as little from your body as possible or dive behind a wall or a car if possible. the idea was primarily focused on this diving aspect.

Edited by joe_mcentire

Well then, i'll be throwing myself off of cherno rooftops.

surely you could if it is not directly pointed at the center of your body and an additional given luck, long distance etc... at least in a situation like this you would try to expose as little from your body as possible or dive behind a wall or a car if possible. the idea was primarily focused on this diving aspect.

True. I think this would be expecially useful for dodging snipers. If they are a good distance away (500+ meters) you can dodge if you see the muzzle flash.

Yes. I want this. I want to be able to jump and dive sideways, backward (knocking you on your ass but possibly saving you), and forward (as a tackle). Imagine rushing your captor and tackling him to the ground...

Also, do we know if fist fighting has been confirmed? Imagine just double tapping a or d to side dodge your opponent and stick him in the jaw. Haha. That would be fucking brilliant.

would even add at least a layer to Melee combat.  I realize now that this mechanic would need to be tied to  some sort of fatigue, so you cannot do it over and over again.

I just wanted to point out OP that you won't be dodging an in flight bullet, if you saw the muzzle flash, with the reaction time required, it's already too late.

So when watching the new devblog and the "odd dodging" technique (simply by running around in circles) used against the jumping groupie ladies i had this strange idea:

Why can't there be some sort of dodge-button/animation? Something you can hit on, when you have to react pretty darn quick to save your or one's hide.

examples:

• a car tries to run you over --> throw your body out of the line of danger
  • someone draws suddenly his weapon --> throw your body out of the line of danger
  • a crazy groupie tries to jump-hump you --> throw your body out of the line of danger
You could vary it and could do some sort of animation "tree":

• 1st level: a forceful leap forward or to the sides, to get you out of slight troubles
  • 2nd level: a "in the last second" animation where you really would throw your body out of your current body's center of gravity (diving if you will)
in a way like in Max Payne, but yeah without the guns and the shooting

YDflXBW.jpg?1 yz0HMj4.jpg?1

And what if you could do, with this mentioned animation, the same as zeds can do currently in the mod: knock someone over....

edit #1:

btw. how to dodge a bullet: watch from ~3:49

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Yy0Uyicx5JY&t=349

edit #2:

of course those examples maybe now a bit of an exaggeration or seem to be over-arcady, but you hopefully get the point.

Even with subsonic bullets you wouldn't have time to hear, process and move before you were shot.

I call BS on that test.

A car... Maybe; a zombies hand, definately; a speeding bullet? No.

-

-

of course!

that's why i pointed out, that these examples were an exaggeration.

but my original motivation for that idea was this:

So when watching the new devblog and the "odd dodging" technique (simply by running around in circles) used against the jumping groupie ladies i had this strange idea:

the whole scene looks odd and is unimmersive as hell. Melee combat you would expect from a mod that wasn't intended for Melee at all.

Edited by joe_mcentire

I want BIS to redevelop the game and make it like this since weapons will be quite rare. Win just by pressing XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXZYYZZYZZZYZXZYXYZYXZX

YXYZXYZXYZXYZYYZXYXZYXZYXYZXYXZXYZYXZXYZXYXYBXYBXBYYXBXYBXYBXYBYXBXBAA***BXABXABAXXAZXAZXABXABXAZXAXABAZSZSABAA

I made a mistake while hammering away ( who can find it ? )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s51aKcZlvyo

btw. there is already an "evasion move" in the game. They removed the buttons for the config but it still works.

Edited by Enforcer

I really like the idea of diving left, right, forward, back. but you would never dodge a bullet from a rifle.

e.g. The standard AK-47 or AKM fires the 7.62×39mm cartridge bullet. That travels at 715 m/s. The average speed of sound at sea level is 340.29 m/s. By the time you hear the shot the bullet will already be inside you, not taking into account the player reaction time

Edited by Joe King
  • Like 2

I really like the idea of diving left, right, forward, back. but you would never dodge a bullet from a rifle.

e.g. The standard AK-47 or AKM fires the 7.62×39mm cartridge bullet. That travels at 715 m/s. The average speed of sound at sea level is 340.29 m/s. By the time you hear the shot the bullet will already be inside you, not taking into account the player reaction time

What?

And how do you explain this:

What?

And how do you explain this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ0OUq_kDh8

He felt like doing a backwards walkover but forgot how and ended up flailing his hands randomly with his back just off the ground.

100% coincidence, I actually talked to Neo just the other day.

Massive misunderstanding on everybody's part.