daish

no Side chat = Community Growth will be damaged

Mate sidechats been locked out for ages (AFAIK?)

And it should be' date=' cos you know if your bleeding in a ditch you can't telepathically ask some guy halfway across the map to come help you, you'll die in the ditch.

COS THATS THE WAY ITS MEANT TO BE.

[/quote']

No, I don't think that has anything to do with it.

If I had to guess I'd say it's because using VOIP in global or side chat lags the whole server and there is always one idiot or troll who insists on doing it. I don't think there is any way to disable VOIP in one channel and allow it on others, but thanks for playing our favorite forum game "Know It All Douche Who Thinks A Game With Zombie Infections Needs To Be Ultra-Realistic." (You won BTW)

No global chat and only very local communication is one of the things that initially drew me to DayZ' date=' and it wasn't even implemented at the time. I've always wondered how global chat detracts from immersion and gameplay opportunities in other games, and it's interesting to see how taking it out is changing the way DayZ plays.

For the record, no global chat has been one of the central ideas behind DayZ since the very early days, Rocket's reasoning being that it will develop a sense of isolation and self-reliance for all players. This is what DayZ is about at its core. It's not here to make our gaming, our progression or our virtual social lives easier. It's here to dump us into a horrible situation in a lonely, vicious and hopeless world, and force us to make the best of a dire situation.

I'm sure you can see how having a channel spammed up with the usual global channel bullshit detracts from the whole point of DayZ.

Bottom line is that this game/mod/whatever isn't for everybody and never will be. It's going to alienate a lot of people, but it's also going to attract a lot of others. The people it attracts are unlikely to be chat spammers. Many of them will be people who have got tired of the way games have gone over the past decade and are looking for something new, different and genuinely exciting.

[/quote']

the bottom line is this game was made to create money and jobs telling people to #$@$ off if you dont like it will mean there is less staff less content less support for the game

if you dont like something and want it to be "hardcore" so you can feel like a big man because your a little girl in real life maybe ask them to have options for it

the same way you can play on a VET or Normal server with or without corsshairs

make a hardcore version of the game and make 1 that 99% of players will enjoy and help the game to grow

your a freaking moron if you think pushing people away from a Community is a good way to help a game grow and improve

I'm a little girl in real life? I think you'll find that I'm not the one swinging my tadger around on an internet forum. I'm also not the one who has to ask for an option for no global chat. It already has no global chat, as was planned from day one.

Anyway, back to your point. DayZ isn't being developed to make money and create jobs, it's an experiment in gaming. This is exactly what Rocket has said about it time and time again.

The fact that it has taken off like it has says more about the general state of modern gaming and the tedious cookie-cutter, hand-holding, faceroll specials that get dumped into the market because so many people don't remember what it was to be excited and enthralled by something different. DayZ's unexpectedly massive popularity is the only reason that it's getting a commercial release at all. Rocket's original estimate was that there'd be a couple of thousand players at the very, very most.

And the thing is, it's Bohemia Interactive who will be handling the commerical version of DayZ once ArmA 3 is out, and they're not known for their popularist approach to game design. Seriously, don't expect it to cater to your tastes because it probably won't and that's OK. There are plenty of games that don't cater to mine and many others' tastes and that's OK too. Where there's a niche there's a market, and I think DayZ has stumbled across a fairly decent size niche.

As I've said before, I'm pretty certain that one of the big mainstream companies will develop a zombie survival game along the lines of DayZ that will cater to the mass market. Maybe that'll be more your speed.

Anyway, I've laid out my reasons and thinking behind why I like the way the game is regarding global chat, and I've put them over fairly and reasonably. You can go back and read them if you like, but I'm not about to get baited into a ridiculous and tedious internet pissing match by you.

Bohemia Interactive dont host the servers their customers do as far as i know

the people hosting the servers and players should have choice on what they want to connect to and not be forced into what you think is more "real"

how about when it rains there is a clothes wet icon and if you dont go to a dry cleaner and get your clothes drycleaned your temp will go down and get sick and die from running around with wet clothes would you @#W%ing enjoy that because its more realistic

You didn't read my other posts did you?

i liked the idea of the sidechat getting removed till i played without it.i miss it,the game almost felt like a singleplayer with no interaction,if i had bumped into someone specialy a friendly and if direct chat works fine(it does half the time)i bet it wouldnt feel like a single anymore.but ive often played for long times without seeing others and feel that boredom may get the better of me if i cant at times joke around in the chat.also after playing alone for a few hours i usualy feel like meeting with some people,if i cant find any i try the chat(ofcourse this is risky,but its also fun)

i feel that it could be fun if the side/global chat could only be used and read if u have a radio.do hope radios wouldnt be to rare if this became the case :p like i said before after a few hours of sneaking around alone i tend to get pretty bored,and the game is just more fun when u are playing it with others

Yea the game does feel a bit too lonely without the side chat, no much of an issue but would prefer it as i had some very amusing chats with people, also good to get updates on the server.

I was semi-following this thread until I saw "taliban" used as an insult.

Grow the fuck up dude, my fellow countrymen are currently fighting and dying at the hands of those people. Or is that too serious for you? Should I learn to relax or chill out?

It's disrespectful and you're just too ignorant to realize that.

So many times I cycle through my communication channel thingy and then I forget side chat is gone. I also miss being able to group up via sidechat, no matter if the person kills me 75% of the time.

Its been my experience that no side chat does hinder community interaction. It of course has downsides like bandit interception and using it to camp.

A recurring request in the forums is more reasons to "team up" with survivors and having a side chat option is a decent way to do it right now.

Future additions may change that but Right Now they do not exist unless you find a way to get into a teamspeak clan or whatever.

I say make it Optional.

Yea the game does feel a bit too lonely without the side chat' date=' no much of an issue but would prefer it as i had some very amusing chats with people, also good to get updates on the server.

[/quote']

massive loss the game feels alot more boring as well

I was semi-following this thread until I saw "taliban" used as an insult.

Grow the fuck up dude' date=' my fellow countrymen are currently fighting and dying at the hands of those people. Or is that too serious for you? Should I learn to relax or chill out?

It's disrespectful and you're just too ignorant to realize that.

[/quote']

Your fellow countrymen. Have you ever served your country, particularly in those regions in question? Or are you just using that as a quick ploy to try and shame me for a quick pat on the back from the internet? :)

Side chat enabled on all servers but with a mute option is not acceptable. You'd just be asking us to pretend a feature that affects gameplay isn't there.

The only discussion that should be taking place here is letting the servers decide individually if Side Chat stays. I'd be open to that possibility. I'm having a hard time telling what the actual positions here are with all the windbaggery.

Rocket has stated that he doesn't want the servers to have too much freedom and I lean towards his side. Too much variation between servers creates an inconsistent experience. Left4Dead for example is a crapshoot when you join a server, since they can add all kinds of weird stuff that even effects gameplay.

My experience so far: with side chat, I hear too many questions from noobs; without sidechat, game gets boring pretty fast.

No sight chat =

+atmoshpere

+no annyoing messages

-inceased KOS

-lack of communication

"Without the Side/Channel more people will KoS."

What's the logic behind this? There are other ways to communicate.

"without sidechat, game gets boring pretty fast."

Then you don't like the game, go find another one. Even if you still believe you do, adding chat isn't a real solution to the problem.

I agree with the OP's points about side chat for use in helping new players adjust to the game. However, more experianced players could just hang out on the coast for a few hours each day and help the newbies learn the ropes.

Another option I was thinking about was a beginners map with SIDE CHAT (cell phone) on. Maybe a small island so that players could learn game mechanics etc. But when a player turns his weapon on another player then they would graduate to Chernarus and be prevented from playing there. I know this would be a carebear enviornment but you could also set it so that when a certain task is completed you graduate in a positive way. Maybe repairing a plane/boat and flying/cruising into a trigger area moves you into the big leagues. CHERNARUS.

It would also be a nice beginning story arc. Try and find a way of the island (frying pan) to get you take you to Chernarus (fire) in a civillian AN-2 COLT or Fishing Boat but something happens and you wash up on the coast.

p.s. This idea came from my mind as to why you would wash up on a foreign beach in the first place. "You are a reporter trying to sneak into a military quarantine area to get the real scoop and win a Pulitzer prize."

Then you don't like the game' date=' go find another one. Even if you still believe you do, adding chat isn't a real solution to the problem.

[/quote']

Yeah, you're probably right. Talking to strangers and reading their ongoing misadventures can only sustain so many runs through the woods.

It was very fun for a couple weeks, and I do think sidechat enhanced that. It built a lot of character in a setting where people come & go every second, with no one tied to one server.

BUT, I can not believe there's an effort to do away with sidechat BEFORE the text about people entering the game, dying, getting dropped by Battlenet, etc. There is so much garbage on there, sidechat was a ray of entertainment in a stream of distraction.

So yeah, do away with sidechat *and* player death and all that extra text.

1. Add a radio to toolbelt at spawn.

2. Make radios only have a 1k direct radius.

3. Make radios use side channel if you have a radio.

4. Make radios use batteries and make batteries run out.

5. Make it so radio towers ingame can boost your radio signal x5 or something.

6. All radios should have programmable channels / frequencies from 1 - 100

7. Let admins kick ban players for abusing the radios IE. playing music over channel 1 to all players in area would be abusive. playing music on channel 10 wouldn't be as channel 1 would be the channel all players would use first before they grouped up. Racism over radios would be abusive etc etc.

Optional idea for devs.

make dayz detect if any other voip progs are being used and turn them off.

level the playing field :)

PS.

Thank you for removing the ingame GOD chat devs I really didn't want to listen to Little Timmy aka. L337KIll3rDuD3 telling Little Jimmy aka. Um4DBr0 where he is, what hes doing and what gun he just found.

I liked side chat. It was entertaining while i had to run across the map, after all this is a game, not IRL. But w/e.

Mate sidechats been locked out for ages (AFAIK?)

And it should be' date=' cos you know if your bleeding in a ditch you can't telepathically ask some guy halfway across the map to come help you, you'll die in the ditch.

COS THATS THE WAY ITS MEANT TO BE.

[/quote']

your playing a video game its not real life

do you want your character to sit there for 35% of your play time sleeping and sit there watching your character have to sleep as well?

people like you have no idea how to make games

Whoa whoa whoa...

Excuse me, sir/ma'am.

I registered for this forum right after just reading your comment response to that player. And I only register for forums unless reporting an issue, or being forced to.

[FLAMEON]

First of all, don't insinuate people don't know how to make video games until they make stupid and ridiculous insinuations that people want the game to be as literal as the example as you just gave. Or that they assume the game should be created according to a casual players standards to make it easy for the most unskilled player.

The most casual I ever want to see this game played is pretty much a little higher than it is now, that you get to fire a few rounds, until you get your face ripped off because you don't understand the way this "survival simulation" is meant to be played.

Secondly, you're playing a military simulation game. Which means it simulates "somewhat" real life actions. I hope that the Dev's never adhere to your casual suggestions to make the game so casual that it makes it like another first person shooter.

If you want to play another game that isn't a simulator. Go play Left 4 Dead (2) if you feel like this game is too hard. That is pretty much the most casual survival game, that allows you to communicate with everyone on the server.

Or, if you want to play this game with an all server chat, go download ventrilo, mumble or any other VOIP software.

[/ENDFLAME]

Thirdly, I agree that there should be some sort of FAQ feature. Like typing /help to get a list of common issues new players have. Other than that check out the http://dayzwiki.com/ on how to further advance your knowledge of the game. But I also agree that if all chat is in the game it would ruin the aspects of people using survival instincts and reactions to deal with a situation when coming across a zombie or even better another survival. To react in a way to communicate to that survivor to 1.) find out if they are friendly and 2.) to deal with them accordingly if they shoot back, or you decide to take them out without their knowledge.

My fourthly comment for you sir/ma'am, is to make suggestions that would better the game slightly. Making drastic changes that would take away from the overall (simulation survival aspects) feel of the game is not good design sense (and especially not respected from someone who doesn't know how to make games, like yourself).

So please, watch your comments and give good constructive feed back and if you don't agree to a players suggestions let them know why their suggestions are bad.

Example,

[A players response] The game is too dark, never allow it to become this dark.

[Your response] The game is like it is because it's designed around real time. If anything it would be nice if a day in-game was equal to 3/4ths of a real day to allow players in another country and players in the same country to get a chance to get a feel how the game plays in night and day time.

1. Add a radio to toolbelt at spawn.

2. Make radios only have a 1k direct radius.

3. Make radios use side channel if you have a radio.

4. Make radios use batteries and make batteries run out.

5. Make it so radio towers ingame can boost your radio signal x5 or something.

6. All radios should have programmable channels / frequencies from 1 - 100

7. Let admins kick ban players for abusing the radios IE. playing music over channel 1 to all players in area would be abusive. playing music on channel 10 wouldn't be as channel 1 would be the channel all players would use first before they grouped up. Racism over radios would be abusive etc etc.

Optional idea for devs.

make dayz detect if any other voip progs are being used and turn them off.

level the playing field :)

PS.

Thank you for removing the ingame GOD chat devs I really didn't want to listen to Little Timmy aka. L337KIll3rDuD3 telling Little Jimmy aka. Um4DBr0 where he is' date=' what hes doing and what gun he just found.

[/quote']

Amazing idea, and it's realistic. But do not disable 3rd party VOIP software. That's where you lose some players because the game will be too intrusive on other already running applications.

It can improve upon team play, and have one person in the group be a main radio-man. They should allow for walkie talkies as equipment with programmable channels that only work up to a certain range and limited frequency. That way you can keep in check with people in your group up to a certain range and possibly overhear someone's conversations that you can use to either group up with them, or simulate some survival of the fittest.