daish

no Side chat = Community Growth will be damaged

Your solution for griefing is being a griefer/troll on chat? Congratulations on being the downward spiral part of the community.

sidechat is important to have imo, removing communication from a multiplayer game is always counter productive. the majority of people who play multiplayer games don't play with a group of friends who are all on ventrillo.

removing side chat is great when you play regularly with 5 friends who are on teamspeak/vent. but for the average everyday player who is just playing solo, they mayaswell just play a single player game, cause they won't be able to talk to anyone without side chat.

if people hate seeing chat let it be turned off on the client side. i see no reason to punish the whole community just cause some people have a group of friends in vent, and don't like seeing chat while they play

Voting no. Not having side chat adds to the tension when you encounter another survivor, and I got sick of seeing "PERSON SHOOTING IN ELEKTRO ARE U FRIENDLY???"

The scenarios are endless.

And all of them are gamey and fake.

As far as TS etc go, I have no problem with those because people are going to use them anyway, especially people who play together in other games. I rationalise that as them having radios from somewhere. Whatever, it's not that important.

What is important is that TS and other external chat clients aren't the default. People won't log onto DayZ, see there's a global chat and start the usual kinds of global chat babble that happens in other games. That's exactly the sort of thing that DayZ totally isn't about.

I would like to see text direct communication though, not sure if it works at the moment but it should be an option for those who don't have a headset/mic.

sidechat is important to have imo' date=' removing communication from a multiplayer game is always counter productive.

[/quote']

Counter productive to WHAT? What's being produced in side chat? In 350 hours in game I have seen maybe one or two legitimate conversations take place in side. The rest is ridiculous tripe.

Besides, communication wasn't removed. It was incorporated into the game. There's no more magical fairy to carry your words around the world and share them with everyone.

New mechanics will be added to aid you in communication, but there are already plenty - body language, hand motions, flares, smoke grenades, direct comms, etc.

You'll get by. Improvise and experiment.

sidechat is important to have imo' date=' removing communication from a multiplayer game is always counter productive. the majority of people who play multiplayer games don't play with a group of friends who are all on ventrillo.

removing side chat is great when you play regularly with 5 friends who are on teamspeak/vent. but for the average everyday player who is just playing solo, they mayaswell just play a single player game, cause they won't be able to talk to anyone without side chat.

if people hate seeing chat let it be turned off on the client side. i see no reason to punish the whole community just cause some people have a group of friends in vent, and don't like seeing chat while they play

[/quote']

removal of side chat had the opposite effect for me. before it was gone, i was primarily lone wolf. now that it's gone i will regularly attempt to communicate with people via direct chat if i see evidence of players in the area. it's not so much about seeing side chat, as knowing that it's global spam if you're not involved, and anything you type might get lost in a flood of messages between other people who are either talking about their own situations somewhere on the other side of the map, or people just shooting the shit. without side chat, communication has become much more valuable as it is much more rare.

your playing a video game its not real life

do you want your character to sit there for 35% of your play time sleeping and sit there watching your character have to sleep as well?

people like you have no idea how to make games

Rocket is going for realism with this. Rocket also uses the "I make this the way I enjoy it. Nobody is forcing you to play it." mentality, so deal with it.

sidechat is important to have imo' date=' removing communication from a multiplayer game is always counter productive. the majority of people who play multiplayer games don't play with a group of friends who are all on ventrillo.

[/quote']

You can still play with other players, you just have to find them first instead of spamming "LFG" like in every other game. It was always planned this way to be a part of the core gameplay.

Voting no. Not having side chat adds to the tension when you encounter another survivor' date=' and I got sick of seeing "PERSON SHOOTING IN ELEKTRO ARE U FRIENDLY???"

[/quote']

Do you not see any potential positive to allowing it to be an option, as opposed to a strict no? Why unnecessarily restrict others for something you don't have to be a part of anyways?

The ultimate problem I'm seeing on these threads is the complete utter irrationality of people who want it their way, and everybody else fall in line or be damned. We need to seek compromise before we seek to completely alienate an entire portion of the same community you're a part of.

The problem these people are having isn't really with side chat. That's the symptom to the disease they have; which is the inability to appreciate other points of video game ideology. These people are the video game Taliban.

Is that really what you want to strive to be? Come on.

ITT: I'M SO LONELY, I HAVE NO FRIENDS, I'M GOING TO DIE ALONE BECAUSE I'M TERRIBLE

global chat helps new players learn. who can seriously be against that? it also brings the players together to share and enjoy the game together. sure, there are unfair advantages to using side-chat, such as your location being given whenever you type. things like that can be removed easily. the other unfair advantage are people telling the whole server where they are and to that I say, 'let it happen.' idiots will be idiots. let someone go and kill them, it might teach them how important it is to keep that info to themselves. no one is killing you if someone else gives away their location, don't fucking worry about it.

to all the idiots crying about how 'unreal' it is, let me remind you that you're playing a videogame. a videogame featuring zombies, ffs. zombies that sometimes break your bones with one hit and those broken bones can be fixed with a single shot of morphine.. i think the unrealistic global chat is the least of what you should be complaining about, you purist nutbags.

global chat helps new players learn. who can seriously be against that?

The video game Taliban.

I'm pretty sure I read a news report about the Taliban banning the polio vaccine from Pakistani children in areas they control, as a way to get the US to stop drone attacks. And now they're trying to take away our side-chat. When does it end?

perhaps if no sidechat there could be a different kinda chat that could be created?

For example, you come across a friendly and decide to team up. Perhaps there could be a team join option sent to the player. "...wants to team up with you" and they either accept or decline.

Something like that could work.

Voting no. Not having side chat adds to the tension when you encounter another survivor' date=' and I got sick of seeing "PERSON SHOOTING IN ELEKTRO ARE U FRIENDLY???"

[/quote']

Do you not see any potential positive to allowing it to be an option, as opposed to a strict no? Why unnecessarily restrict others for something you don't have to be a part of anyways?

The ultimate problem I'm seeing on these threads is the complete utter irrationality of people who want it their way, and everybody else fall in line or be damned. We need to seek compromise before we seek to completely alienate an entire portion of the same community you're a part of.

The problem these people are having isn't really with side chat. That's the symptom to the disease they have; which is the inability to appreciate other points of video game ideology. These people are the video game Taliban.

Side chat tends to be a barren wasteland of 'FRIENDLY IN CHERNO?' and 'F U BANDIT GO BACK TO COD', there really aren't any positives to keep it. As far as helping new players learn, isn't that what wiki's & websites are for? Also what better way to learn that to throw yourself into the game?

Did you seriously just compare the removal of global chat to the fucking Taliban?

You sir are a complete tit.

[/quote']

Side chat tends to be a barren wasteland of 'FRIENDLY IN CHERNO?' and 'F U BANDIT GO BACK TO COD', there really aren't any positives to keep it. As far as helping new players learn, isn't that what wiki's & websites are for? Also what better way to learn that to throw yourself into the game?

I agree, the best way to learn would be checking out the Dayz wiki, etc, and questions in-game like, "How do I chop wood?" do get annoying after the 50th time in 30 minutes. However, that's not the kind of communication I'm aspiring to, nor what I participate in. That's just the price I have to pay, to have good occasional chat opportunities.

As for the insulting portion of the chat, I think that will taper off eventually. That stuff is all reactionary, and once it dies off, it'll stay dead. Just, hopefully not along with chat, lol.

This is probably going to sound more trollish than intended, but that cuts both ways.

DayZ is going in different directions to other games, it's a deliberate, considered design decision to cut global chat out altogether and has been from before the start. Given this, I would urge you to try to appreciate this "other point of video game ideology" - because it is what it is.

We already know the other side of the story because we've been playing it for years. This is new and has only been so for a very short time.

As far as TS etc go' date=' I have no problem with those because people are going to use them anyway, especially people who play together in other games. I rationalise that as them having radios from somewhere. Whatever, it's not that important.

What is important is that TS and other external chat clients aren't the default. People won't log onto DayZ, see there's a global chat and start the usual kinds of global chat babble that happens in other games. That's exactly the sort of thing that DayZ totally isn't about.

I would like to see text direct communication though, not sure if it works at the moment but it should be an option for those who don't have a headset/mic.

[/quote']

So one thing is gamey and fake, but the same thing using an out of game voice chat program is cool because you subjectively rationalise its use in-game? What?

This is probably going to sound more trollish than intended' date=' but that cuts both ways.

DayZ is going in different directions to other games, it's a deliberate, considered design decision to cut global chat out altogether and has been from before the start. Given this, I would urge you to try to appreciate this "other point of video game ideology" - because it is what it is.

We already know the other side of the story because we've been playing it for years. This is new and has only been so for a very short time.

[/quote']

If that's the ultimate design decision that they take in the end, I'll be okay with it and adapt with it. However, at this stage of the design, the decision has NOT been ultimately made. These are tweaks and suggestions, as with the current portion of the game design -- so no, I'm not just going to deal with it and take it as it is. I'm going to offer up what I consider to be valid critiques and suggestions as to how to better accommodate the player base in the future.

Stifling suggestions and creative ideas is not the answer here, right?

Removing the chat is one of the best changes I've seen so far. Prior to it being removed I even looked into installing a mod that would remove it client side.

I'm one of those people who can't help but read the text in front of my eyes, and it was taking me out of the game too much. It's like running around a zombie apocalypse with you face buried in your cell phone texting, it's just not realistic. If you don't meet a survivor, you should suffer from lack of human contact.

Did you seriously just compare the removal of global chat to the fucking Taliban?

You sir are a complete tit.

Yes, yes I did.

And you sir, need to lighten up.

Us100/101 host their own mumble server. This is a great alternative to side chat. Since mumble uses little to no resources it is very practical for server host

So one thing is gamey and fake' date=' but the same thing using an out of game voice chat program is cool because you subjectively rationalise its use in-game? What?

[/quote']

I really don't know why i'm bothering to engage someone who calls people that don't agree with him 'the taliban', but your even more reactionary then those you oppose.

Teamspeak etc is out of our hands, it can't be countered or controlled, so pointless discussion.

Globalchat ruins the unique feel of this mod, its that simple. you HAVE DIRECT VOCAL COMS ALREADY. Thats enough, you can talk and type to those in the locality, thats fine, as you should. But being able to chat across the damn map shouldn't be.

The ONLY thing that ever needs to be popping up in that corner is server info.

Yeah as i thought, pointless engaging.

So one thing is gamey and fake' date=' but the same thing using an out of game voice chat program is cool because you subjectively rationalise its use in-game? What?

[/quote']

I really don't know why i'm bothering to engage someone who calls people that don't agree with him 'the taliban', but your even more reactionary then those you oppose.

Teamspeak etc is out of our hands, it can't be countered or controlled, so pointless discussion.

Globalchat ruins the unique feel of this mod, its that simple. you HAVE DIRECT VOCAL COMS ALREADY. Thats enough, you can talk and type to those in the locality, thats fine, as you should. But being able to chat across the damn map shouldn't be.

Global chat ruins the feeling for -you-, not -everyone-. Removing it from -everyone- so that -you- feel better is, to me, not the best answer. The capability for each of us to remove it ourselves if we so desire, is what I'm suggesting.

Is that simple enough and engaging enough for you?

As far as TS etc go' date=' I have no problem with those because people are going to use them anyway, especially people who play together in other games. I rationalise that as them having radios from somewhere. Whatever, it's not that important.

[/quote']

So one thing is gamey and fake, but the same thing using an out of game voice chat program is cool because you subjectively rationalise its use in-game? What?

No, it's OK because it's not the default. There's a world of difference between TS and on-tap global chat, and their effects on the game world.

And as I said, there is no way to stop people using TS so sure, I'll rationalise it. Global chat is a totally different thing. It exists for one purpose only and that is immediate, easy and universal convenience.

You know this as well as I do, right? And you should know that that's not what DayZ is about, because it's been said enough times in enough places for plenty long enough.

And let me say, I totally understand what you're saying in favour of global chat and I don't even disagree with a lot of it. But one of the things I love about DayZ is that its doing things differently.

I *want* something new, and I'm sure a great many of those 260,000 DayZ players do too. I *want* to see what happens when there's no global chat. I *want* to see how players adapt to gameplay that is outside their comfort zone.

This is all good stuff, its the sort of experimentation and innovation that has been dead in gaming since the 90's. Possibly even the 80's.

Please, try to understand that. DayZ isn't supposed to be like all those other games. Saying it needs global chat is like saying the Sex Pistols needed sensible haircuts. Do you get what I'm saying?

[/quote']

Global chat ruins the feeling for -you-, not -everyone-. Removing it from -everyone- so that -you- feel better is, to me, not the best answer. The capability for each of us to remove it ourselves if we so desire, is what I'm suggesting.

Is that simple enough and engaging enough for you?

Simple yes, engaging no.

If you want an advantage over other players you can whistle for it mate. stop fucking with the immersion of a rather unique mod.

GLOBAL CHAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE IN A MOD ABOUT BEING ISOLATED AND TRYING TO SURVIVE.

Thats the fundamental hardcore fact of it. If you want global coms go install teamspeak you lazy fuck. Teamspeak sucks, but just cos its there doesn't mean we should kill the atmosphere of the mod.

But anyhow, your only going to brand me an extremist and trundle on with your weak bullshit argument so i'm out.