thunderjaguar6

the woodbury discussion

I am a new guy in this.ive not got the chance to download and play dayz but I have been stalking the community for some time now and something appalled me,nobody has created a town of any kind.

now I haven't played dayz and therefore do not know to much of the in game community  so shouldn't judge but I thought that someone would make a safe zone of some sort before the heroes and bandits thing came along.

the idea is that a large group of players,like a clan or something takes over a small town that isn't a pvp zone where players with no gear would try to make their way to,so they can trade for some provisions such as food and coke for ammunition or something like that

post what you think towards this matter to start up something intresting

• Like 1

There isn't meant to be a safe zone in DayZ.

To WarZ-ish

Hello there

At this time, players are unable to "create" towns and the mechanics don't really allow for player run safe areas.

Rgds

LoK

Arma 2's base building isn't very good for DayZ. We might see something in the future though.

I think too many people see something like that as needing to be enabled through some sort of game mechanic. I think the mod does plenty to let players attempt such a thing, like barbed wire and sand bag walls to let you close off areas and gaps in fences. There are lots of nice little areas that are quite suitable, but the fact is, it would take time and work to set it all up and make it work. I think that, coupled with how easy it is to break into such a place by simply logging in to a different server is what stops people from attempting in game, self governed communities. I believe early versions of the mod did have some people try this out on a few servers. I've heard of one at Factory, Devil's Castle and the bombed out church south of Goglovo. Unfortunately they were all quickly abandoned due to the internet dick factor.

• Like 1

Yes there were quite a few people that made trading zones and were trying to 'police' them and such with checkpoints and whatever but all it really did was invite the bandidos and the skids :) Fair call on the bandidos but you cannot really fight the skiddies and having days and weeks of work trashed in an instant probably moved most of them on to other games.

Where there is an entrance to a safe zone there is always an exit.

Either it will be exploited or it will be camped, of wich do you prefer?

I think too many people see something like that as needing to be enabled through some sort of game mechanic. I think the mod does plenty to let players attempt such a thing, like barbed wire and sand bag walls to let you close off areas and gaps in fences. There are lots of nice little areas that are quite suitable, but the fact is, it would take time and work to set it all up and make it work. I think that, coupled with how easy it is to break into such a place by simply logging in to a different server is what stops people from attempting in game, self governed communities. I believe early versions of the mod did have some people try this out on a few servers. I've heard of one at Factory, Devil's Castle and the bombed out church south of Goglovo. Unfortunately they were all quickly abandoned due to the internet dick factor.

There's really no way to do this without a mechanic.  Even if you block off an area with sandbags and barbwire, zombie can simply walk through barbwire, not to mention spawning inside the 'safe zone'.  And there will always be people who just want to screw things up for others.  For a non PVP zone you would need people to actually enforce it if you don't have the mechanic in place.  Meaning you need people to kill PVPers who they themselves could be killed.  All it would take would be one good sniper to screw things up royally.

ah,so this has been attempted but to no success.

I was thinking more of a town like situation,something like woodbury in the walking dead where players

"lived" there in a sense

I think it will be more possible to do this in Standalone, but it will still be very impossible even with less snipers and OP weapons people can just say they are friendly, and once they are in unload into everyone.

The problem is that currently zeds would spawn inside bases anyway. In the standalone we will have the ability to take over towns and clear the zombies out of them. Hopefully we'll be able to build walls and stuff as well, eventually. Servers could maintain one or two really persistent bases with admins - which could sort of be like self-governed safe zones, while survivors could also build their own bases (though these would likely change hands or be destroyed more often than admin maintained bases).

Edited by SalamanderAnder

I did some sort of safezone in DayZ SP once, I just left a little hole in between a bush and the sandbag wall. It worked. If there's no hole in the wall, the zombie just runs straight trough it. But if there's a hole and the bush is "blocking" the way (Kinda like them not being able to hit trough one), they can't get in. You could do it on a large scale, but zombies would spawn inside it and it would be pretty difficult.

Edited by Sutinen

I've done it a lot in the past, it works I. Private servers quite well

The only time we got taken Down was by hackers

I am a new guy in this.ive not got the chance to download and play dayz but I have been stalking the community for some time now and something appalled me,nobody has created a town of any kind.

now I haven't played dayz and therefore do not know to much of the in game community  so shouldn't judge but I thought that someone would make a safe zone of some sort before the heroes and bandits thing came along.

the idea is that a large group of players,like a clan or something takes over a small town that isn't a pvp zone where players with no gear would try to make their way to,so they can trade for some provisions such as food and coke for ammunition or something like that

post what you think towards this matter to start up something intresting

one step closer to wow !

I'm actually planning on doing this with my group and 3 of my friends. Not really a town but a trading and teaming up area, maybe at the Kopyto dam or near Pik Kozlova. Kumyrna, the burnt down town south of Guglovo seems good too.

But the best place would probably be the small hill west of Ozerko lake. Love that place.

I'm actually planning on doing this with my group and 3 of my friends. Not really a town but a trading and teaming up area, maybe at the Kopyto dam or near Pik Kozlova. Kumyrna, the burnt down town south of Guglovo seems good too.

But the best place would probably be the small hill west of Ozerko lake. Love that place.

or maybe that radio tower up north

or maybe that radio tower up north

I don't know about any radio tower up north, but if you are talking about Green Mountain, which is to the West actually, it's not a good spot. Survivors that are uninformed about the camp might come and attack out of fear (There are vehicle spawns so people go there) and there are quite a lot of zombie spawns, which can often get in the way.

But if there was a way to efficiently be able to get rid of the zombies (The only way I can think of is having a guy run around with a hatchet, which means one less guard) then it would be a very good area, since it's close to the town of Zelenogorsk, relatively close to the coast and the norh areas and is quite easy to defend in DayZ.

I don't know about any radio tower up north, but if you are talking about Green Mountain, which is to the West actually, it's not a good spot. Survivors that are uninformed about the camp might come and attack out of fear (There are vehicle spawns so people go there) and there are quite a lot of zombie spawns, which can often get in the way.

But if there was a way to efficiently be able to get rid of the zombies (The only way I can think of is having a guy run around with a hatchet, which means one less guard) then it would be a very good area, since it's close to the town of Zelenogorsk, relatively close to the coast and the norh areas and is quite easy to defend in DayZ.

Zombies don't respawn in the presence of players - in the standalone. It'd be perfect for a trade post.

Edited by SalamanderAnder
  • Like 1

If you manage your player positioning within the camp you could theoretically stop zeds from spawning inside your perimeter, as the zeds have a min distance around a player that they are allowed to spawn. So with Green mountain as an example, placing a people in the four corners/sides of the inner fence would stop zeds from spawning inside.

OH, and probably one on the tower.

Edited by JubeiDOK