First of all I'd like to say that this is a long term suggestion for DayZ. I don't expect something like this to work in an alpha.

I think it would be rather compelling for each server to have anywhere between 1-10 large, crewable, oceanic vessels. Different types of vessel would have different types of equipment that could be advantageous. For example; a fishing boat would be able to gather food from the ocean, whereas a military vessel would have weapons, whereas a large civilian ship like an oil tanker might have a large supply of gas on board, ect. Each vessel would also be equipped with an instance-based "internal" cell (i.e. you could enter a door on deck, which would teleport you to a corresponding internal cell somewhere off the map. Exiting the cell would teleport you to the deck of the ship.) If the boat were destroyed, the cell would be reset, killing any players inside and destroying all gear automatically.

This way, it would be possible for a group of people to actually capture and utilize a large vessel, as well as enter the "below deck" and log out, secure in the knowledge that they are actually still "on board" the ship. They would be able to respawn inside the cell (assuming the ship was not destroyed in their absence) and exit the below decks to be transported to the poop, at the vessels current position on the map.

I also think there should be broadcasting equipment that players can find, or build, which would enable in-game short wave radio stations to be utilized by players. Pirate Radio, anyone? Imagine being able to use a boat to actually go around, pick up supplies, establish communication with other players, provide medical or refugee assistance, ect. Boats would also require certain types of crew to fulfill it's multiple operations, obviously, which is a great motivator for team work. Players could man guns, repair engines and other damages from inside the engine room, (a.k.a the instance based area connected to the ship) as well as opening the door to a whole new dynamic of naval gameplay and conflict that would be quite compelling. These suggestions also fall in line with something Rocket hinted at, which was "more explorable islands" in Chernarus. If more landmass was added throughout the vast ocean, we would have even more incentive to operate a naval vessel - small or large.

Piracy by organized bandits against - or with the use of - large ships would be an exciting and organic extension of this type of gameplay. Imagine, actually waiting until nightfall to sneak up on a large schooner with nothing but your wits and a RHIB. Under the cover of darkness, you and your group stealthily climbs the ladders and board the deck. You send two guys to storm the lower deck and take control, while you and your other team mate dispatch the gun operators and capture the captain. The schooner is yours! For now...

Just a few thoughts. I'd like to hear opinions. Like I said, this is a long-term suggestion and I mean it to be considered as a gameplay objective that would be added later in the Standalone development.

• Like 22

I think its sweet too. I've always like the idea of more game play on the water, and would love to see Kevin Costner's trimaran from the movie "Water World". Although the prospect of realistic sailing is nearly impossible for video games, they pretty much never get water and wind mechanics right. Motor boats are easy though, or row boats...I guess

for me is great idea :beans:  and make play dayz on water more like some fun time instead shit swim time :P

Edited by KoS

I think its sweet too. I've always like the idea of more game play on the water, and would love to see Kevin Costner's trimaran from the movie "Water World". Although the prospect of realistic sailing is nearly impossible for video games, they pretty much never get water and wind mechanics right. Motor boats are easy though, or row boats...I guess

Sadly I have to agree with you on that bit. I *have* played computer sailing simulations before. However, such systems simply aren't feasible for a globally persistent multiplayer game like DayZ. I just use the word schooner wantonly because of the books I read, and the fact that I do have a love of actual sailing. Maybe a few years from now they could develop something convincing, but it definitely won't be a priority.

• Like 1

Brilliant ideal.  Why build a base in the woods, WHEN YOU HAVE A MOBILE BASE ON A OIL TANKER!  

Here have some  :beans:

Oh and of course with a topic about boats this is required. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avaSdC0QOUM

Edited by harley001

Pretty much made an account a few minutes ago, but I've played DayZ before and believe this is an absolutely fantastic idea.  It would be balanced, as you would need to bring heat packs to last very long, and you would need to stock up on food and water.  I believe that since big DayZ groups would be using boats to hoard their loot and such, it would also be equally dangerous.  Bandits would lick their lips at all the loot aboard these ships.  Should a bandit group succeed in a water raid on a ship, they would get quite a bit of loot.  As for the wind and motor mechanics, I know this game was not in the water, but Guns of Icarus is a good example of an indie game with near-perfect sailing quality.  I hope this idea is considered for a future standalone update, as new features likely will not be implemented in the original standalone game.

It's a yes from me.

bit late of me, but this idea needs some more support. i really like it.

not only cos boats need more attention than they've been getting (besides the shipwreck, which looks great), but because it encourages other items to be used without forcing it. mainly the radio.  you could match frequencies with anyone in a boat within a certain range, allowing for communication. itd be awesome trying to get in touch with the oncoming boat before it were too late.

say you manage to repair a nice open decked, reasonable sized yacht. you cruise the open waters, stopping to cast a line out. its a bite!

mid reel, you're interrupted by a radio transmission, some garbled noise, and then some violent threats. after cutting your line with a knife, you spot an approaching boat...

I hope we can stand on the upper deck without being flung off when its moving :)

It would move slow so there shouldn't be too much lag right?

Maybe let us drive vehicles onto it? The cell is a great idea aswell.

Above all we need a big dock for them.

Bump...

Oilrigs?

My cousin works on an oil rig and told me they are completely self sufficient, in an oil deposit oil along with natural gas is under pressure, when the oil is being extracted the natural gas that comes with It is burned to produce electricity to run the plant.

So in the game a running plant in the ocean isolated as a base (although previously suggested) is an astounding idea! I hope that this is implemented

• Like 1

If I may add something. I'd like to see boats become dynamic. What I mean is that boats should get drifted away depending on the wind (which is already present in arma 2 as far as I know). So let's say you speed up against the wind, you move a bit slower, you go along the wind direction you go a bit faster. But except this, also securing your boat when leaving it ashore becomes an issue with this system. If you just leave the boat near the shore (as we do now) it should get carried away due to the wind/waves. Maybe you should find an anker for securing it midsea, or a heavy rope for securing it to a dock (although anker should work there too).

I'm not trying to overcomplicate things, but I think that instead of having boats behaving like rocks it'd be much more realistic and fun watching them drift by themselves. Of course, this way sometimes they'd drift into the ocean, but that would also make it more fun if it was together with all  the other suggestions in this thread. This system could also make finding boats much more rewarding because if it worked this way then constantly checking the spawn points would make no sense. They'd spawn and slowly drift away depending on the wind on the specific day, on the specific server.

Just imagine being in a small fish boat and going towards an island when you spot a big boat drifting away. Is it empty? Are there people on board? Can I speed up so I can catch up to it? Of course, then there'd be a problem of how to stop it in order to get on it. Well maybe if there is a ladder, then if any player is in a specific radius of this ladder he could just scroll his mouse and get on board, or something like that. Or imagine being aboard a boat with low fuel, sailing somewhere and you run out of fuel. You start drifting away, helpless, and you don't know which way you'll end up.

And of course smaller boats should get carried away much easier than big ones. The bigger the harder and so on. Just my 2c.

Not bad. I guess I'll make a clan of Somalian Pirates to jack ships. If this gets Implemented!

Edited by LancerG2
  • Like 1

Not bad. I guess I'll make a clan of Somalian Pirates to jack ships. If this gets Implemented!

Reminds me of those crappy battlefield 3 RHIB I used to go around with friends with RPGs and the .50 cal on that boat being pirates on Kharg island.

I think this is a great idea! Just, I have a question and a suggestion Q: how will the huge tankers and such REFUEL? I know a few jerry can wont fill it up and if it did it wouldn't *shouldn't* last long.

Suggestion: When boats/ships are destroyed, the don't completely explode leaving no survivors and no gear or loot as you said. Instead maybe the boat can slowly start sink and taking on water then complete goes under pr has part of it sticking out so raiding is still possible. Maybe scuba suits available? So people can dive down and steal some stuff from the wrecks or actually get care packages that have chose to drop their loot and themselves into the water. I guess there'll also have to be boat refuelling stations of some kind. Scuba gear should be quite rare though, so not everyone is filming underwater DayZ Harlem Shake videos.

I think this is a great idea! Just, I have a question and a suggestion Q: how will the huge tankers and such REFUEL?

A tanker wouldn't have to refuel. It would already have fuel. That's why it's a tanker.

I think Kevin Costner should be in DayZ, like an easter egg, he could be on a small featureless island or rummaging through a desolate buffet of an abandoned sinking cruise liner. He could be like a NPC tutorial providing hints in a gentle fatherly persona...  not really, im tired of this tangent now :D

Yea I really like this idea. Any mechanics and activities that provide incentives for team work should always be good considerations for DayZ.

Also the idea of wind, or even water currents that cause random motion of vessels. Honesty be told it is a long term consideration. I'm unsure if there have been any plans for wind mechanics from the Arma developers but I would assume there would be if they strive to further improve the simulation of sniper rifles for example.

One thing I would add though (if it hasnt been mentioned already), is that if there were several vessels incorporated in, then surely the maps would have to be increased massively in size. I think peeps who have prepared and secured a vessel and are purely exploring the coastlines would too easily be able to find other peoples vessels.

Edited by 3rdParty
  • Like 1

A tanker wouldn't have to refuel. It would already have fuel. That's why it's a tanker.

Don't you think (before the game takes place) it'd have been plundered and NOT full of fuel? Tankers kinda have places to go.

Don't you think (before the game takes place) it'd have been plundered and NOT full of fuel? Tankers kinda have places to go.

There are around 5000 oil tankers exceeding 1000 tons travelling the ocean at any given moment. To say that none of them would have any fuel is absurd. Even then, why do gas stations in the game have gas? Shouldn't all the gas be gone, by your logic?

My cousin works on an oil rig and told me they are completely self sufficient, in an oil deposit oil along with natural gas is under pressure, when the oil is being extracted the natural gas that comes with It is burned to produce electricity to run the plant.

So in the game a running plant in the ocean isolated as a base (although previously suggested) is an astounding idea! I hope that this is implemented

Not totally self sufficient, sea air corrodes things and it wouldn't take long for things on a rig to start breaking down in a DayZ type world due to lack of spare parts and the technical experts to maintain them. Great place to hold up though! Just don't count on unlimited light, heat and power because the generators can and will break down along with anything else electrical or mechanical on a rig at sea.

Edited by Longs