One thing I would add though (if it hasnt been mentioned already), is that if there were several vessels incorporated in, then surely the maps would have to be increased massively in size. I think peeps who have prepared and secured a vessel and are purely exploring the coastlines would too easily be able to find other peoples vessels.

I cobat your statement with a link! I commented on this AMAZING thread about expanding the current "chernarus". With a northern Namalsk type area attached to the main landmass, and a southern country, like a Utes/takistan type of map.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/144348-the-north-expansion-and-south/

I cobat your statement with a link! I commented on this AMAZING thread about expanding the current "chernarus". With a northern Namalsk type area attached to the main landmass, and a southern country, like a Utes/takistan type of map.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/144348-the-north-expansion-and-south/

:) read through and theres some good ideas there. But I was thinking about the sheer size of ocean. increasing and diversifying the coast line with river systems, estuaries and coves might be alright for smaller boats, but big ones being talked about on this thread would not be able to navigate them, and unless they had a decent spot to hide, there would have to always be someone online on the ship to protect it as it would be a prime curiosity for any sea dwellers.

ED: Also this is only in response to the idea of ships being taken/destroyed and a character losing their life who is saved onto that ship, I think it would be fairer to the players for them to carry on in the water. Horrible, but fairer :')

Edited by 3rdParty

There are around 5000 oil tankers exceeding 1000 tons travelling the ocean at any given moment. To say that none of them would have any fuel is absurd. Even then, why do gas stations in the game have gas? Shouldn't all the gas be gone, by your logic?

But this is some poor, rural Russian state. Being in Russia, they'd probably be better off getting oil trucked in as Russia has quite o bit of inland oil. And actually the gas stations wouldn't have gas. In the event of an emergency as great as the zombie infection all utilities would be cut off. And no, they do not have petrol in them at all. That is all handled server side and is not IN the game. It is a choice the server host or owner makes. And I did not say they'd have no fuel. And please do not challenge my logic. It is disrespectful, out-of-context and is contradictory.

Edited by RedTailedLizerd

But this is some poor, rural Russian state. Being in Russia, they'd probably be better off getting oil trucked in as Russia has quite o bit of inland oil. And actually the gas stations wouldn't have gas. In the event of an emergency as great as the zombie infection all utilities would be cut off. And no, they do not have petrol in them at all. That is all handled server side and is not IN the game. It is a choice the server host or owner makes. And I did not say they'd have no fuel. And please do not challenge my logic. It is disrespectful, out-of-context and is contradictory.

The point is that DayZ is not simply "realistic." It clearly breaks some real world rules in order to make compelling gameplay that isn't totally boring. Besides, I'm talking about one tanker that would be something of a mobile base and would probably be highly contested.

Plus there's be other types of big boats too, like a couple big fishing boats, fairies, maybe a barge, that sort of thing. They would also need to require part by part repairs just like cars and the like, plus you'd have to find a small boat just to get out to them. So it wouldn't be just any simple task to get a boat running, but they should be available. I just think It would be nice to do something with that huge ocean they have there. Going north is fun and all, but it gets old. Sometimes I just wanna do something else.

• Like 1

The point is that DayZ is not simply "realistic." It clearly breaks some real world rules in order to make compelling gameplay that isn't totally boring. Besides, I'm talking about one tanker that would be something of a mobile base and would probably be highly contested.

Plus there's be other types of big boats too, like a couple big fishing boats, fairies, maybe a barge, that sort of thing. They would also need to require part by part repairs just like cars and the like, plus you'd have to find a small boat just to get out to them. So it wouldn't be just any simple task to get a boat running, but they should be available. I just think It would be nice to do something with that huge ocean they have there. Going north is fun and all, but it gets old. Sometimes I just wanna do something else.

Well put guv.

There's so much ocean and only a few slow and crappy fishing boats.

I agree. Glad we could come to a conclusion. Though, I believe that in order to have as many large boats as suggested ("1-10") the map would have to be much larger and have more water bodies (e.g. Ocean) to be worthwhile. Currently on a map such as Chernarus for example there is no inland water at all besides small lakes and miniscule rivers. There is the ocean or whatever due south and east but there is no reason to travel out beyond a few hundred pentameters outwards. There are no island or other land masses in that direction that are reachable in the game. Theoretically, a larger map, possibley combining several other of the DayZ island would be possible. Though, that would make respaeing and meeting up with a friend nearly impossible. That idea I just suggested is improbable, requires greater refinement, . A new map may be required to make a suggestion like this worth it for there is not muh fare able ocean in the DayZ world. Anyways, sounds like a great idea.

I agree. Glad we could come to a conclusion. Though, I believe that in order to have as many large boats as suggested ("1-10") the map would have to be much larger and have more water bodies (e.g. Ocean) to be worthwhile. Currently on a map such as Chernarus for example there is no inland water at all besides small lakes and miniscule rivers. There is the ocean or whatever due south and east but there is no reason to travel out beyond a few hundred pentameters outwards. There are no island or other land masses in that direction that are reachable in the game. Theoretically, a larger map, possibley combining several other of the DayZ island would be possible. Though, that would make respaeing and meeting up with a friend nearly impossible. That idea I just suggested is improbable, requires greater refinement, . A new map may be required to make a suggestion like this worth it for there is not muh fare able ocean in the DayZ world. Anyways, sounds like a great idea.

They are making a new, expanded chernarus map for the SA in which they will be adding Utes as well as possibly other islands.

They are making a new, expanded chernarus map for the SA in which they will be adding Utes as well as possibly other islands.

Thanks for the information. Great idea!